• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking News! 200 SMRT bus drivers went on strike!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It cannot be in their favour as it sends a very bad message and signal to all foreign workers in Singapore especially PRC workers.

It might not be in the press, but they will certainly deport a few at least to send a clear message to any other foreigner. If not you will have a riot like that in Batam where they burnt the place down.

ISD officers who attend these sessions always identify themselves as MHA staff. They will sit in to size who the ringleaders, who they can cultivate and and then plan the next move.

When the Thais and Koreans fought on NY day at Suntec construction site, the Koreans were moved out and that supply chain was closed down.

Because of concentration of workers within the populace in dormitory settings, its important that to manage tightly as they will flare up quickly.

I suspect matter will be solved in favour of these striking PRC drivers. Chinese leaders will come to defence of their nationals. After all they just finished an election and this news is being propagated over there. At issue is why is there the diff between Malaysian drivers vs PRC drivers - are they being discriminated? That in itself is politically sensitive for Beijing.

The other alternative would be to fire these workers without severance package.

At the very least they increase the pay package and or fire them with a nice severance package or allow them to choose.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Local activists are all over facebook applauding the PRC bus drivers. I can't understand this. How would a local bus driver feel if he had to contend with job insecurity his whole life as a result of foreign influx, and now PRCs are striking over a $200 wage differential.

Its not as if one group worked 70 hours a week for the same pay as another who works only 50 hrs a week.

Lets have a sense of proportion. These chaps came to Singapore knowing they were attractive hires because they were willing to settle for lower wages than the regional populace.

If this issue is resolved in favour of the PRC I can't imagine the level of disenfranchisement that local bus drivers will experience. It would prove that it pays well to be a foreigner and you have more power than locals. It would also prove Singaporeans are 2nd class citizens.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Local activists are all over facebook applauding the PRC bus drivers. I can't understand this. How would a local bus driver feel if he had to contend with job insecurity his whole life as a result of foreign influx, and now PRCs are striking over a $200 wage differential.

Its not as if one group worked 70 hours a week for the same pay as another who works only 50 hrs a week.

Lets have a sense of proportion. These chaps came to Singapore knowing they were attractive hires because they were willing to settle for lower wages than the regional populace.

If this issue is resolved in favour of the PRC I can't imagine the level of disenfranchisement that local bus drivers will experience. It would prove that it pays well to be a foreigner and you have more power than locals. It would also prove Singaporeans are 2nd class citizens.
At least the PRC FT drivers are united for a common cause. My guess is the establishment will hoot these heroes jia lat jia lat. Kill 1 scare 100.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
First the novelty of seeing something unprecedented, second its involves a GLC and therefore egg on the face of the Govt. Its the govt that brought them in and thus the delight.

can assure you that you will find all Singaporeans will still want to see the back of the PRC sooner rather than later. The only people who will backing them will be the human rights activist and you should see them emerge soon.

Where are you Seelan Pallay?

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ISD officers who attend these sessions always identify themselves as MHA staff. They will sit in to size who the ringleaders, who they can cultivate and and then plan the next move.

Yes. And Dir PID would be pleading for his intel officers to particpate as well. They want to feel important and not marginalised. MOM and ICA intelligence divisions will also act busy and report whatever insignificant updates to their respective bosses to feel important and include this in their SAR.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zorro had had 3 significant incidents in many months. Questions going to be asked.

May be a coincidence that an individual involved with the labour and union movement was recently indicating that they had good succession.
It may be time for Zorro to move out.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Well, even if you are having coffee with your friends, they could still frame you as starting a riot... remember Tan Wah Piao?

Goh Meng Seng

Agree.

Lets put it this way - if Chee walked by the Dorm after taupau kopi and fried bee hoon for his morning breakfast, everyone will in the lock-up. Old man would dash to the cabinet room in his Nike trainers relishing the thought of his last intervention.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because of concentration of workers within the populace in dormitory settings, its important that to manage tightly as they will flare up quickly.

Such incidents are usually not reported. Happened many times in the past due to misunderstanding. Language problems, cultural differences, different norms and mores etc all adds up. To exacerbate matters, cooking is usually available at these dormitories. So, knives, parangs and other sharp objects are readily available.

An ex-policeman is into this business. Understand he is doing well. Letchumanan or something like that. Used to be NS Comdr somewhere.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

well, honestly i hope the issue will snowball and get bigger. so local employee can wake up. i support the China drivers, this is the right attitude. why let others shaft their dick down your throat and u must take it?

local union is big and rich but useless. NTUC everyday think of ways to make all the small business out of business, but not helping the employee. NTUC as a union now only trying to sell membership, issue credit cards, super markets, operate "prviate" bus, taxi company, sell chap chai png. what they want to do next? sell durian also???

if this issue ended up in favour of PRC, then local drivers should also voice out for better benefits too. in fact local and foreigners drivers should unite and ask for better pay and benefits from SBS and SMRT. in my opinion, should give better pay and benefits for those bus drivers. regardless of nationalities. if good pay, local sure join. no local, then get foreigners. where got such thing as cheap foreigners? pay everyone the same. pay foreigners drivers cheaper will deprived local drivers pay also and local drivers will lanlan accept low pay due to cheaper foreigners competition. ultimately the pay and benefits of bus drivers must improve!!!

MBSSLOTS

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Well, even if you are having coffee with your friends, they could still frame you as starting a riot... remember Tan Wah Piao?

Goh Meng Seng

The mighty multi million and supreme PAP will not do such dishonourable accusation. The 60.1% entrusted the faith in our government millionaires. Please do not defame our righteous ministers. They always do what is right for our people. Hand in Hand, Heart to Heart. Together we progress and prosper!

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
First the novelty of seeing something unprecedented, second its involves a GLC and therefore egg on the face of the Govt. Its the govt that brought them in and thus the delight.

can assure you that you will find all Singaporeans will still want to see the back of the PRC sooner rather than later. The only people who will backing them will be the human rights activist and you should see them emerge soon.

Where are you Seelan Pallay?

Yes Scroo, think you are spot on. Its a bunch of humans taking on the establishment, that's why the local activists are cheering. The human rights angle is obvious -- oppressed versus oppressor. The political angle which I'm more accustomed to thinking in terms of is the overly lax foreign influx policies and subsequent backlash in terms of social consequences and disenfranchisement. I guess that's the difference between activism and bread-and-butter politics.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Your comment is always as silly as it is.

The problem lies with the PAP government's inadequate labour law as well as its liberal FT policy that allows big companies to exploit foreigners as cheap labour or even slaves, so to speak. These drivers are here to work and I believe nobody will feel good if they find themselves shortchanged in the process.

In fact, if you are on the Singaporeans' side, you should be asking for fair and equal wages for these PRC drivers because only by doing so, along with the levies SMRT needs to pay for them, the cost of hiring them will be higher! This will provide deterrence to companies like SMRT to exploit cheap foreign labour to displace local Singaporean drivers! Make foreign labour's wages uncompetitive or lack attractiveness as compared to locals and this will keep or even create more jobs for locals!

Your mindless rumbling here just show how shallow your views are and only trying to evoke irrational and senseless anti-foreigners sentiments without a brain behind it.

Goh Meng Seng

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Goh Meng Seng

Just in case you are not aware, one need not be present when an incident takes place. There is such a thing as CONSPIRACY.

Nothing to do with CSJ or TWP.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, next few days hive of activity. The kopitiam near the Dorm extremely busy.

I am actually quite surprised that they are not unionised. How to control? In Singapore union play the opposite role. If they had been unionised, NTUC's Intel team would have known.

Maybe they need to bring back the old-timers.

Yes. And Dir PID would be pleading for his intel officers to particpate as well. They want to feel important and not marginalised. MOM and ICA intelligence divisions will also act busy and report whatever insignificant updates to their respective bosses to feel important and include this in their SAR.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Such incidents are usually not reported. Happened many times in the past due to misunderstanding. Language problems, cultural differences, different norms and mores etc all adds up. To exacerbate matters, cooking is usually available at these dormitories. So, knives, parangs and other sharp objects are readily available.

An ex-policeman is into this business. Understand he is doing well. Letchumanan or something like that. Used to be NS Comdr somewhere.

I recall that name.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Goh Meng Seng

Oh yah hor, if you're having curry rice and fatty pork in soy sauce at a strategically located coffeeshop, you can also be "framed" (inverted commas) for heckling an opposition MP. Remember Your Good Self?