• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone still remember KFC in the 1980s?

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe so.

Kum Sia.. it was something different about it from the others back in those days, it felt like that drive in diner from Happy Days tv show, some of my grago/eurasian friends even comb back side parting & brylcreem a Kari pup:biggrin: to look like Fonzi! it was always packed with young teenagers, that's why so popular to go Paktor there!

Samthaikong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still remember in the 80's. I was a cook working in the Lucky Plaza KFC branch. There was a viewing windows from our kitchen to the outside walkway where passerby can watch us preparing the chicken. Standards were very high and we have to adhere to procedures. eg the chicken parts need to be cooked in the pressure cooker at the exact time, nothing more nothing less. And cooking oil have to change quite regularly.

Every piece of chicken came out perfectly cooked. There was an isolated piece of chicken meat at the breast portion that we always broke it and use it later on as snack while no one is watching.

At the end of each working day, we smell like 'Kentucky Fried Human' and have to go home and give the body and hair a good cleanup.
Those were the days. Nowaday the chicken pieces are miserably small and sometimes not well cooked.

Samthaikong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The canned ones taste different. Had one a few days ago. This drink must drink when super cold.

The A&W root must drink with the frozen root beer mug, otherwise it will not be nice.

The A&W root beer mug looks solid whereby it always end up in customer's bag after the drink and bring home as souvenir. That was why the restaurant always short of mugs.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing beats eating roti-prata with a fork and spoon in a road-side mamak-stall back in 1964.
The place was then Macpherson Road (site of pesent day Blk 83 HDB flat).
Back then a peice of prata only cost 10 cents with free curry.
If you want mutton fats there was lots that the mamak will throw into the curry.
An additional 5 cents buy you a half glass of kopi-oh.
Whole day seating at the stall and watching the Minahs and Ah Mois going to school.
Sometimes these girls will come to the mamak stall too.
It was finger-lickin good.
KFC, McD and A&W came in and spoiled the whole thing.
If only they could have started a MacPrata

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually,,I remember KFC in the early 80s, some did not like it as the chicken was frozen and not fresh. Remember those days,,Chicken was really fresh, the markets sold live chicken and the poultry chap will slaughter it,,,and we bring it home for dinner,,now its all done at the factory and chilled,,,

Funny when I was in Vietnam,,the locals dont like KFC as they prefer their 'Running' chicken (Aka Kampung Chicken) to frozen factory chicken.. just my rants

Yep, in the old days my grandfather would have the life chicken delivered to his door step. I remember watching the delivery man on his bicycle with a rattan cage at the back. He would slit the chickens neck & let it bleed to death. My cousins & I would watch all this process with keen interest. Nowadays you will only find frozen chickens at NTUC :smile:

Back than we didn't know that we would be eating rubber chickens from NTUC:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing beats eating roti-prata with a fork and spoon in a road-side mamak-stall back in 1964.
The place was then Macpherson Road (site of pesent day Blk 83 HDB flat).
Back then a peice of prata only cost 10 cents with free curry.

I remember eating at the coffee shops at Koek Rd(near Cold Storage, next to the market that no longer exists) in the late 60's. Wanton mee cost 50 cents, satay was 10 cents a stick, soya bean drink 5 cents,........How things have changed

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Patronised the joints there when young but not often. Was a little out-of-the-way. Was always along Orchard - carpark, Tivoli, McDonalds (Liat Towers), KFC (Orchard)etc.

I remember going to the MacD(Liat Towers) on the 1st day it was opened. Back then who could have predicted that it would dominate the fast food scene in Spore :confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not sure if anyone remembers but Big Macs were bigger when they first open in Singapore, you know why? becos Macdonalds did not source local beef & salad, buns etc. Everything was airflown from USA!!

It seems expensive getting bread from the US.

I remember reading that the US forces in Subic Bay, had bread flown in from Spore suppliers. Getting it from the US would present problems like the bread wouldn't be fresh.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems expensive getting bread from the US.

I guess if they were flying in the beef patties, why not the bread & everything else, it was only later on when Macdonalds started expanding in Singapore that i guess they stop flying the foodstuff over from the US, they must have got a regional supplier, maybe from OZ to supply beef & lettuce & buns etc.

I remember reading that the US forces in Subic Bay, had bread flown in from Spore suppliers. Getting it from the US would present problems like the bread wouldn't be fresh.

Sounds bizarre! Those C5 Galaxy are so big, they can put 10 Macdonalds into them & still have space for parking:biggrin: Clark is not that far from Subic bay either, they must think highly of SG bread!:eek:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..follow em 1-2 times to Kampong Java ..race, fight, attend birthday function, bbq, go for midnite movies n pai helmet in front of cinema screen or grab 1 or 2 rochee girl pai roti every weekend...not moi cup of tea...stop after 1-2 outing...
MS, fed up after kena rejection by rochee gal?:p:wink:
Narong Wongwan said:
Root beer float! And coney dogs......later started selling waffles, pizza, nasi lemak and what not that's when they went downhill
It's like diluting your cuppa. Rojak, kns. But AW Dunearn reminds me of the coming of age American Grafitti -as focal point or hangout then

Last edited:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
MS, fed up after kena rejection by rochee gal?:p:wink:

U kidding? those girls so high think father come n bonk em oso no problem...:p Me no saint but dun feel its right...worst ish...saying no to such invitation mean "Dun Gib Face"...:eek::confused::biggrin:

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
579135_439115379457782_655170966_n.jpg

It was restaurant-styled with forks and knives and they have an Automatic hand wash machine?

I have KFC in the late 70s. KFC dishes then served with 1 coldslaw, whip potato and a bun with come with a 2 or 3-piece Chicken plate.

By the 80s KFC was going through changes due to Mac Donalds, Texas Fried Chicken market penetration, it switched itself to a fast food concept which took many years to perfect. Fries were introduced as well as burger, and spicy chicken. I still do not like their fries even now.

The condition of KFC was so bad at one point that when you hold up a drumstick, the meat dropped off. If not for the spicy chicken which is crunchy in nature, it would have closed its door like A & W did in the late 90s.

The strange part is that Texas Fried Chicken actualy failed to make it and was wiped out during the early 90s. I actually like their chicken and cajun corn.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
That time it was Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Now it has become Kentucky Fried Pigeons.....size has shrunk significantly !

Reason for it to change the name is also interesting. It started with rumours that Kentucky was fabricating headless chicken in the lab. It turned out that the state of Kentucky was eye sore that many companies used its state's name as their logo, so they started asking for royalty from these companies which led to the change of Kentucky Friced Chicken to KFC.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sounds bizarre! Those C5 Galaxy are so big, they can put 10 Macdonalds into them & still have space for parking:biggrin: Clark is not that far from Subic bay either, they must think highly of SG bread!:eek:

When the americans left the Philippines, the 'last leaf' was eager to offer them changi. Spore must have benefited alot from the american presence in this region. Can imagine that the yankees bought plenty of things other than bread from Spore.

Someone mentioned military supplies were shipped from Spore. Usually under the cover of darkness:smile:
Bet the PAP made $$$$:rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The condition of KFC was so bad at one point that when you hold up a drumstick, the meat dropped off. If not for the spicy chicken which is crunchy in nature, it would have closed its door like A & W did in the late 90s.

I am no chicken expert but I think the chicken crises was limited to Spore where rising costs is always an issue.
Even when A&W disappeared from the Spore scene, you could find the outlets in Malaysia & Indonesia

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am no chicken expert but I think the chicken crises was limited to Spore where rising costs is always an issue.
Even when A&W disappeared from the Spore scene, you could find the outlets in Malaysia & Indonesia

Actually KFC's changes to fast food affected its business through the region including Malaysia. the only difference is that there is no competitor's penetration other than Mac donald, further more, for some reason, the Malay culture likes chicken.

While A & W is still available in Malaysia, th number of outlets are very limited as compared to the 90s.