• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone still remember KFC in the 1980s?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i think it was within the cinema building premises......another cinema nearby had 24 hours denny's......my friends were the resident paikias in Ave 8 so we were the VIP customers that can order breakfast menu in the middle of the night

That would be New Town Cinema (already demolished) as of Oct 2012

Denny's was there in the 1990s followed by Seoul Garden. The resident paikias would be the AST ppl? :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro this prove that we are all getting older liao:biggrin:

Older and more horny..:biggrin:

Zed, daresay we all go through similiar episodes. Only water face, admit or not. KFC was a treat then, now we siam as many said standard dropped. 2 pcs was max (with other trimmings) tummy can handle.

He..He..He.. I remember goin to Thomson Plaza 2 days before my Chinese O level paper just to give that Yaohan Ah Lian a love letter..:biggrin: :o :biggrin: Maybe thats one of the reasons why I flunked my Chinese paper.. :o

Not to forget Milano's pizza opposite, and the Tamiya shop besides :biggrin:

Yes.. Just to prove my love to that Yaohan Ah Lian, I even bought a Tamiya Vanquish at that shop as a B'day gift for his younger brother.. KNN..:biggrin:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
He..He..He.. I remember goin to Thomson Plaza 2 days before my Chinese O level paper just to give that Yaohan Ah Lian a love letter..:biggrin: :o :biggrin: Maybe thats one of the reasons why I flunked my Chinese paper.. :o

Brother, got story? :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brother, got story? :biggrin:

Bro, it was an unrequitted love.. So no chance of doin anything funny with her..
Luckily the whole process of chasing her only cost me around $30 then..

Cost includes the one KFC meal that I treated her and the Tamiya car gift that I bought for her bro..

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro,
Tamiya Vanquish would cost you 10 bucks or less, that KFC meal set you back by 20 bucks? you treated her entire family?

I brought along a friend.. She also brought along this fat Ah Lian friend of hers.. Bought 2 meals for her and her friend.. I didn't eat.. Just drank Coke.. As for my friend, I only bought for him Ice Lemon Tea..:biggrin:

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes but i remember got 2 or so arcade centres back then so not sure whose turf is which and also the bowling centre above McDonalds

oh that is much later part, i think..

"Paco funworld' above macdonald was the first arcade that opened (in my memory). i can still remember vividly how the roasted corn and butter smells. used to sell lots of snacks inside Paco. popular games during my time, should be 'beast masters', 'space gun' etc. by the way, i completed beast master while standing on a plastic stool, because as a kid, i was too short :o.. Paco amk centre used to have a dark room, inside full of items, and a row of rifles. each item has a small light, and if u use the rifle to hit the light, some small actions will come out.

another popular game is the gambling game. tokens are inserted at the top of the machine, then it dropped to the bottom. at the bottom, there is a piece of wood moving to and fro, pushing excess tokens down a drain. those that fall down the drain belongs to u, and u can use it to play more games :biggrin: but normally, is lose one la...

at the later stage, jubilee also has a arcade. and eventually, even the seoul garden venue also once housed a arcade..

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
suddenly it makes me realised that amk town centre changed alot!! there used to be a big round fountain in front of the macdonld..

nearby the S11, there is a 24 hour fair price. i think that time, the building was called elizabeth or something like that.

the bus interchange was situated at the current amk hub. when u cross the road, u will immediately reach a supermarket with a little maze in front of it. on the second floor is where i like best. there is a bridge/ connection on the second floor, and that area sells toys! i love to go there to look at the toys. when i was young, mum and dad doesn't have much money.. and when i look at the transformer toys, the cheapest transformer cost $12.90, i know i don't stand a chance to ask them buy for me. :(

but i still remember my brother saved and saved and saved and bought a batmobile toy for me on my ?th birthday, really love it.

Emporium! Haha.. :biggrin:

Don't forget the push cart tim-sum.

rofthelper

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh that is much later part, i think..

"Paco funworld' above macdonald was the first arcade that opened (in my memory). i can still remember vividly how the roasted corn and butter smells. used to sell lots of snacks inside Paco. popular games during my time, should be 'beast masters', 'space gun' etc. by the way, i completed beast master while standing on a plastic stool, because as a kid, i was too short :o.. Paco amk centre used to have a dark room, inside full of items, and a row of rifles. each item has a small light, and if u use the rifle to hit the light, some small actions will come out.

another popular game is the gambling game. tokens are inserted at the top of the machine, then it dropped to the bottom. at the bottom, there is a piece of wood moving to and fro, pushing excess tokens down a drain. those that fall down the drain belongs to u, and u can use it to play more games :biggrin: but normally, is lose one la...

at the later stage, jubilee also has a arcade. and eventually, even the seoul garden venue also once housed a arcade..

Haha Paco Funworld... Bumper car... Always go bump those ah lian with short mini skirts. :biggrin:

My fav arcade games would be street fighter and wrestling game.

Ultimate Warrior and million-dollar-man. :p

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha Paco Funworld... Bumper car... Always go bump those ah lian with short mini skirts. :biggrin:

yes! i remembered street fighter and wrestling game. love hulk hogan and ultimate warrior. i still have lots of game tokens at home.. donno now can exchange back to cash or not..

talking about emporium, i stay quite near the central. after shopping, my mum will always buy a brand called 'fruit tree' orange juice. it is a very very nice drink, with orange bits inside. the drink has a small tear-shape plastic cover. u need to peel off the cover to drink..

i also owned a couple of micro machines toy cars.. those type that u pour hot water on it, it changes colour...but all thrown away..

i also remembered my most expensive toy my parents ever bought on my ?th birthday is a lego set from thomson yaohan. it is the pirate set, where i can build a castle..

godiva

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is also a Wywy wonderspace (for arcade games) or something like that. Also Wywy that sells handphones already close shop? Never hear/see from them long time.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There is also a Wywy wonderspace (for arcade games) or something like that. Also Wywy that sells handphones already close shop? Never hear/see from them long time.

The 1997 financial crisis got them. They had all sorts of business and expanded too fast and too much debts during the heady 90s

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boss of Wywy is YY Wong....he is still very much active........this guy wont go under.......his godfather was the late Ng Teng Fong

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I remember last time arcade games are expensive for me what I can play was went down to those fun fair which I got to pay 20 cents for entry and I can spent the whole night there walking around but no money to play games :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember last time arcade games are expensive for me what I can play was went down to those fun fair which I got to pay 20 cents for entry and I can spent the whole night there walking around but no money to play games :biggrin:

Arcade during the Wywy, timezone, funland time already sanitized liao......this was after the ban lifted.......before the ban arcades were more happening and smoky.......

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Arcade during the Wywy, timezone, funland time already sanitized liao......this was after the ban lifted.......before the ban arcades were more happening and smoky.......

Yes Bro last time smoking is allowed everywhere,even bus also can smoke:biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes Bro last time smoking is allowed everywhere,even bus also can smoke:biggrin:
smoke inside cinema was best lah! up till 20 years or so malaysia still can.....

back to smoking in arcades.......back then we like to scout for targets for pranks.......sometimes you get a small boy tip toe-ing playing the game machine.......we light to leave lighted cig butts on the slippers then stand back and 'see show'......when he is done and feet on ground thats when he go hopping around.......hahaha.......kind of sadistic.......

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
smoke inside cinema was best lah! up till 20 years or so malaysia still can.....
As recent as 10 years ago, on JAL flights boleh smoke (jap chimneys including chabors). But only at rear rows designated, and ONLY sitting down (due to safety reasons?). Then JAL offered some replacement sticks to overcome tobacco craving.

Fast forward, had 1 tour guide en route to NZ tried to do 1 on longish flight in loo. Boasted he knew how to supress the smoke alarm by flushing (vacuum thingy). But also kena caught by female flight attendant.