• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi all, I just came back from the fair, legs now feels like almost broken, sit down no power to get up. Going out for dinner soon and I hope have time for 泡脚 later.

Good morning. I just came back from Phuket yesterday. When I arrived there last week, got shocked by a tsunami warning. Wasted one and a half day holing up in hotel with my wife. Fortunately, no tsunami happened. Dined at Fuji too. Sushi set and diced beef set with rice, salad and soup. Two to share, just nice. Damage 500 baht, keep the change. We like Phuket but one thing we can't get used to in Thailand is real Thai food, cheaper but too spicy for our tastebuds.

What a shame Forvendet you not use to Thai real food its really good, but then if you happy with Fuji then its more important. So how many days you spent in Phuket? Did you do Songkran there?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro, got pics of your hotel ?

I am staying in Milu Hotel (275, Zhongshan Avenue West, Tianhe District). My first time here for the twice annual Canton Fair was a nightmare because the hotel was far away and each trip to and fro the exhibition hall is 1.5hrs. By the time you finished all the walking you're tired and wanna get back quickly for a shower. My second time was at a hotel quite close to the halls then I found this hotel which is only 10mins drive to the halls (with bad traffic could be 30mins). Therefore I must say that this hotel is not in the middle of the city centre but it a nice location with less traffic and since I am only here to work its fine. The surrounding area has lots of food.

During the peak period in Guangzhou (you can check here http://www.cantonfair.org.cn/en/) hotel prices is about double or triple the normal rate, so the room I got which is the business room including breakfast can be had for only 1300THB per night from Agoda during off peak period. For this round during peak period I pay 890RMB which is about 3900THB which I asked my supplier to book for me because in Agoda all full.

a39add81.jpg

4df0b3ed.jpg

5085cea6.jpg

f6df27d9.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Morning guys, was having problem logging in the whole of yesterday. Keep getting wrong password. Tried resetting password but did not work but it work this morning. Anyway, today is the big day in Sin City. Not possible to go anywhere today without getting wet. Will take some pics if I am going out.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup everybody

Hennessy left half bottle? :wink:

Yes Pii Chon. This 1L bottle supposed to give to my supplier a sales manager in Shunde but after 2 two days in front of my bed last night I cannot take it anymore so brought out for dinner. Bay boy!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sawasdee krup everybody

Yes Pii Chon. This 1L bottle supposed to give to my supplier a sales manager in Shunde but after 2 two days in front of my bed last night I cannot take it anymore so brought out for dinner. Bay boy!
Hehehe. Have to Aod Ton, else your XO also mod kuat (empty bottle). BTW, do you think it's useful for me to visit this fair? Any agricultural stuff?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a shame Forvendet you not use to Thai real food its really good, but then if you happy with Fuji then its more important. So how many days you spent in Phuket? Did you do Songkran there?

Mostly too spicy for me and my wife. We're the type to eat burgers without asking for chili sauce and the most spicy we go for is black pepper sauce. But we like beachside seafood restaurants. It's not much different from western seafood, just do away with the super spicy Thai chili sauce. A lot westerners eating there, so there's no problem asking for non-spicy version and serving, easily understood. Had a lobster, grouper and mussels at one of the restaurants there. Damage 1,500bht.

Trouble is with the cheaper and more authentic Thai food for the authentic local Thai feel and taste. Not much non-spicy version and we don't know how to order. No, we didn't participate in the Songkran splashing festivities. We're not very keen on getting splashed on the streets and there's the tsunami warning.

Morning guys, was having problem logging in the whole of yesterday. Keep getting wrong password. Tried resetting password but did not work but it work this morning. Anyway, today is the big day in Sin City. Not possible to go anywhere today without getting wet. Will take some pics if I am going out.

I have the same problem yesterday morning too. I didn't try reset password since I didn't have much time to surf too. This morning, it's fine.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mostly too spicy for me and my wife. We're the type to eat burgers without asking for chili sauce and the most spicy we go for is black pepper sauce. But we like beachside seafood restaurants. It's not much different from western seafood, just do away with the super spicy Thai chili sauce. A lot westerners eating there, so there's no problem asking for non-spicy version and serving, easily understood. Had a lobster, grouper and mussels at one of the restaurants there. Damage 1,500bht.

Trouble is with the cheaper and more authentic Thai food for the authentic local Thai feel and taste. Not much non-spicy version and we don't know how to order. No, we didn't participate in the Songkran splashing festivities. We're not very keen on getting splashed on the streets and there's the tsunami warning.
Hehehe Forvendet, you got a good deal for the dinner, especially if it's in Phuket or Pattaya. For the mussels, I recommend the "Baked Mussels - Aorb Hoi Maeng Poon". This dish normally not spicy, and it's usually baked in steel pot with Tang Hoon. My favorite will be Baked Prawns with Tang Hoon (Goong Aorb Oon Sen).

Believe most farang friendly restuarants in Phuket/Pattaya will serve non-spicy/less spicy as default. In Pattaya, you have to tell the waiter beforehand this is for Thais, otherwise they will serve the non-spicy version,

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just came back from petrol station and all my favorite breakfast outlet are closed. No choice but to go foodland. Got my whisky, soda and ice too, just in case cannot go anywhere today.

On the way back, kena ambushed so need to go for a shower now. :smile:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just came back from petrol station and all my favorite breakfast outlet are closed. No choice but to go foodland. Got my whisky, soda and ice too, just in case cannot go anywhere today.

On the way back, kena ambushed so need to go for a shower now. :smile:

Whisky so early? Got ambushed by whom and for what?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok guys, went to Silver lake this morning as dont want to get wet in pattaya. Here's photo of silver lake. Now in ram pin beach in rayong.

9e5b7399.jpg

Silver lake