• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sometimes I wonder how you all get used to driving in a foreign land. For me, the Bangkok flyovers are impossible to remember by heart.

I'm in Tak now, just drove 6hrs from Bangkok. Used to it liao.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Started driving from Bangkok at 3pm and arrived in Tak at 8.50pm went straight to restaurant

Beautiful place and beautiful weather, 24degC and not humid at all. Restaurant right by the riverside, River Bing the mother of Chao Phraya
F7o9Shi.jpg

Wanton
BAOtRCw.jpg

Thai fish cake (fish from the river)
K55EM9y.jpg

Coconut salad
nb5ge8e.jpg

River fish
pot1nX0.jpg

Tomyam pla beuk
HYPAy89.jpg

Yam tua poo
M7ulH1e.jpg

Yam pla duk foo
kgW7dgh.jpg

LDWiGj6.jpg

After dinner went to a very shiok place, see it for yourself

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oooh, I chob live pop music places with free spirited thais dancing away. Looks and sounds like a fun evening out

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thursday went to my favourite Thai beef noodle shop in Bangkok. This is hot pot style. The soup is simply heavenly.

As it was a public holiday the shop was very crowded
ycQmXO7.jpg

As you can see this shop is very simple its more like a huge shed but you could also see its packed with people having to queue so it has to be good
Ii3NhUh.jpg

BkhJXuq.jpg

Front kitchen
bbFSc6j.jpg

My order
OKsTNa8.jpg

Braised beef
BGMRPfW.jpg

Fresh sliced beef
p7AvgrJ.jpg

Beef balls
p7AvgrJ.jpg

This order is actually good for like 3-4 people as normally 1-2 people they will simply order in bowls rather than the hot pot so obviously I couldn't finish alone nevertheless it was fun, watch the video.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Woke up to this beautiful view this morning

jf3oWg4.jpg

Immediately went out for a walk

Ratanakosin Bridge across River Ping - River Ping is the mother river that feeds the Chao Phraya River

d6pQ7iO.jpg

VvtsIJC.jpg

EXJe3g6.jpg

i9Exb9m.jpg

VoeZYOi.jpg

My hotel seen from the bridge a 7 storey building probably the tallest building here
xF1TXEk.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
After the river walk I took a walk in the market. This is country market unlike Bangkok, should be interesting for you to watch a little and have a feel of life in the country, enjoy

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tak looks pretty, for a small town. Always wanted to visit not too far Sukhothai, with amazing airport (gates in separate traditional buildings, plus take a buggy train to board your plane). Domain of Bangkok Airways. Had to make a stop to Lampang from Bkk

images.jpg
pjD_sukhothaiairport.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fond memories of north, another reason to drop by Mae Rim -with colourful balloon festival

Chiang Mai balloon festival
Hot air balloons from Thailand and other countries take off in the Thailand International Balloon Festival 2018 in Mae Rim district, Chiang Mai. The three-day event ends on Sunday. — Pattarapong Chatpattarasill, Bkk Post

5E13B6D48E6C4E0FB27B007B441973C5.jpg
B03779B929F44E3B9740B6496CDF1458.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is taking Uber from Bangkok Hotel to Pattaya cheaper than the usual 1500 baht charge ?
By comfortable private car, a Patts regular operator costs you circa thb1100-1300 (depending on your digs) for Bkk>Patts sector. Believe I posted this here sometime late 2017. Swampy to Patts even cheaper 1k, return 950. Includes tolls

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Took me awhile to get used to the names of the 3 'T' provinces, Tak (north), Trang (south) and Trad (East). Also the 3 "Samuts" provinces, Samut Prakan and Samut Songkram, Samut Sakhon. One tip for remembering Samut is "Samut "means sea and all three are interconnected south of BKK.

The other one is the 2 Ubon/Udon provinces. Spent 6 months in Ubon before coming to Pattaya.

Of course now, I know where all the provinces in north and northeast and of course, central and eastern provinces without even the need to look at the map.

Strangely, the southern provinces seems very unfamiliar to me. The only southern province I know a little bit is Phuket.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is taking Uber from Bangkok Hotel to Pattaya cheaper than the usual 1500 baht charge ?
Not sure if Uber drivers in BKK is willing to come to Pattaya as Uber is illegal in Pattaya due to the local taxi mafia and mata cartel. Many many Uber versus Pattaya Taxi mafia incidents on youtubebe and FB.

Pattaya meter taxi mafias (yellow/blue) very very very bad reputation. No one ever use the meters.

For the last 10 over years, I am one of the many locals who has never take the yellow blue meter taxi. Not even once.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After the river walk I took a walk in the market. This is country market unlike Bangkok, should be interesting for you to watch a little and have a feel of life in the country, enjoy

Wow. Like this type of tarad. Can only find my Mang Kuan(jicama) in such markets.

Actually, Pattaya city still have a few of such markets. There are more in the nearby amphers (huay yai, baam ampher and bang saray etc).

For those in Jomtien, the nearest open air vegetable/food market to Jomtien is at Flybird Condo or just tell the taxi driver Tarad flybird or Tarad Tee Din (Tee Din means Land office).
Thai Fresh Market
Pattaya City, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150, Thailand

https://goo.gl/maps/ENntGpd1t2k

Opens at 3 pm till 8-9 pm.

This market is after Blue Olive restaurant. (BTW, P' Froggy, think Blue Olive restaurant either closed down or change name).

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The jabs in Thailand costs S$30 per jab. The one in Singapore costs $150 per jab. Same medication.
Traditionally, Siam Lor is very very strong in pharmaceutical manufacturing. Many drugs and medication are mass produced and so the price is very cheap for generic drugs.