• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On mozzie bites, the secret is do not scratch at all. The mozzies will just fly around and will be tempted to scratch alittle bit due to the tinkling feeling.

Once you scratch alittle bit, thats it. All the mozzies will attack the scratched areas. Somehow the mozzies are attracted to the scratches areas.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...to Chiang Mai later this month. ....CM can be quite boring, as the shopping centers are pretty far apart, especially Central Festival (or whatever name it's called). I used to like the shopping mall @ airport ..Kad Suan Keow is even worse ....
Any hoh kai siao in CM ?
Depends on your perspective (and your wants:wink:). Chiangmai's a laid back place, without the night glitz (which you are familiar with in Patts). Seems you are quite a mall bloke. The old airport Central was THE place to be, a focal point with locals and tourists alike. Kad Suan Keow was already a washout even before the new flashy Central Festival came on.

Tapae Gate and parts of the old city, surrounded by the moat can be charming. For a night out with good eats and live music, do the iconic Riverside along the Ping river popular with the 'in' crowd (reservations necessary on weekends).
http://www.theriversidechiangmai.com/

Or you can hit the clubs along Niman (short for Nimanhamin) stretch like Warm Up, Monkey (check if they are still in biz), Maldives. Allegedly popular with CMU chabors:p

Get out of CNX with a car, and drive to Mae Rim (45 mins) with scenic and rolling hills. Stop by at Mon Jam
http://chiangmaiguideline.com/mon-jam-mountain-chiang-mai/
mon-jam01.jpg

And if you are looking for a romantic getaway in Mae Rim -not look further than Proud Phu Fah, with individual old style wooden chalets (some comes with a spa pool)
http://www.proudphufah.com/home.html

Last edited:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on your perspective (and your wants:wink:). Chiangmai's a laid back place, without the night glitz (which you are familiar with in Patts). Seems you are quite a mall bloke. The old airport Central was THE place to be, a focal point with locals and tourists alike. Kad Suan Keow was already a washout even before the new flashy Central Festival came on.

Tapae Gate and parts of the old city, surrounded by the moat can be charming. For a night out with good eats and live music, do the iconic Riverside along the Ping river popular with the 'in' crowd (reservations necessary on weekends).
http://www.theriversidechiangmai.com/

Or you can hit the clubs along Niman (short for Nimanhamin) stretch like Warm Up, Monkey (check if they are still in biz), Maldives. Allegedly popular with CMU chabors:p

Get out of CNX with a car, and drive to Mae Rim (45 mins) with scenic and rolling hills. Stop by at Mon Jam
http://chiangmaiguideline.com/mon-jam-mountain-chiang-mai/
View attachment 39233

And if you are looking for a romantic getaway in Mae Rim -not look further than Proud Phu Fah, with individual old style wooden chalets (some comes with a spa pool)
http://www.proudphufah.com/home.html

I like shopping malls, especially new malls. I hate mosquitoes, so I need to be cocooned in a cold air conditioned environment. I'm your typical aircon thief :smile: But I don't like crowd like those in Paragon and MBK. The former is too hiso for me; the latter too low-so. Central Festival @ Pattaya is my perfect model of a shopping mall with a good mix of almost everything, and so conveniently located.

The problem with CNX is Central Festival is too out of the way. Centara Duangtawan Hotel has a free songthaew service to Central Airport Plaza, but not Central Festival. KSK, like you said, is a wash-out.

And I just found this:

1761211_orig.jpg

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alert! Urgent Stock up of beer for tonight and tomorrow night.

Tomorrow is big buddha day. No sales of alcohol beverages from tonight midnight till tomorrow midnight. Also means night joints have to stop selling alcohol beverage by midnight.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
As mentioned by @chonburifc alcohol is ban in the entire country sale and public consumption.

But when froggy wants alcohol froggy get alcohol

IMG_20180301_175511.jpg

What you see here are 2 glasses of beer to start with, a bottle of Suntory whiskey and a bottle of very fine sake.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ferry service from Pattaya to Hua Hin has been in operation for some time.

Has anyone tried it ?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Dinner with the family means wife and maid so here's the 元宵节团圆

Restaurant
f8Zu2Fm.jpg

KeU50H0.jpg

Boiling claypot sharks fins soup
PTa3meh.jpg

XlH0KUx.jpg

Fish maw with giant river prawns and shiitake mushrooms
Jsz2BRw.jpg

Sea cucumber with thai basils
sY2WmEi.jpg

Peaking duck
jY6Wscx.jpg

IthZ3qO.jpg

Duck meat used to 2 other dishes this is saute with capsicum
ME944tn.jpg

Minced duck meat eating as a wrap with lattuce
JevYutG.jpg

65kr4id.jpg

GGU0aIw.jpg

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not me. Me like driving so if I am going to Hua Hin, will definitely go the Pattaya - BKK - Hua Hin land route.
Sometimes I wonder how you all get used to driving in a foreign land. For me, the Bangkok flyovers are impossible to remember by heart.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometimes I wonder how you all get used to driving in a foreign land. For me, the Bangkok flyovers are impossible to remember by heart.
Ok, have to admit BKK roads/expressway/local roads/motorways/sois can be quite challenging even for Bangkokians.

During the early 2000s, while working for my former employer, was driving regularly between Thonburi, Don Muang, Suvarnabhumi (was called something else during that time) IMPACT, Sathorn and Rangsit etc.

Lost my way many times, miss the exits many times. Sometimes, keep missing the same exit many times. After a few times of paying tuition fees, will know already. Cos' some exits cannot afford to miss one, else have to go one very very big round.

Have to Jai Yen Yen. Nowadays, the motorways and expressways signs are quite good and in English too. So it takes awhile to get use to the roads. Only problems I encounter are some signs are too near the exit, so by the time you read the sign, already pass the exit.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A word of advice on pet dogs in remote or quiet areas with presence of stray dogs.

Dog owners should never allow their pet dogs (unless is pitbull or La Gow category) to run freely in such place. Most of the strays in Siam Lor are quite timid expecially those living near people. However, a small percentage of strays are quite aggressive and fierce. And if its a pack, the strays become even more bolder.

Just today, a farang guy’s pet chihuahua kenna teared to dont know how many pieces by a pack of 4 or 5 strays in Bang Saray. two motorsai taxi drivers working around the area tried to chase the strays away but only manage to chase the strays aways after maximum damage is done to the chihuahua. RIP

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another word of advice, never ever run from strays. Sure run lose the strays one. Find some wood or whatever you can grab and hoot backcthe strays. If cannot find anything, use your legs and fist .

And if suay suay still kenna bite, have to visit doctor for 3 jabs spread over 2 months. But good news is that the jabs will last for sometime.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another word of advice, never ever run from strays. Sure run lose the strays one. Find some wood or whatever you can grab and hoot backcthe strays. If cannot find anything, use your legs and fist .

And if suay suay still kenna bite, have to visit doctor for 3 jabs spread over 2 months. But good news is that the jabs will last for sometime.
The jabs in Thailand costs S$30 per jab. The one in Singapore costs $150 per jab. Same medication.