• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious $50M Sinkie Lawyer-Towkay Aspires To Sell Off HDB, Buy EC And Retire With $200M!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ST_20171217_BIZLTMALCOLM17_3627732.jpg

Lawyer-turned-entrepreneur Malcolm Tan realised early in his legal career that he needed to venture into business if he was going to fulfil his lofty target of retiring with $200 million.

The law graduate from the National University of Singapore took the plunge and is now busy with various operations.

These range from Our Space co-working space to crowdfunder FundedByMe.com, and businesses in food and beverage (Wine Bonanza and Museo), real estate, telecoms infrastructure (Phoenix Telecommunications), construction and initial coin or token offering (ICO/ITO) advisory.

He still practises law at Keystone Law Corporation.

In September, he set up Gravitas Holdings to house his businesses, in which he has invested about $3 million.

"I look out primarily for bargains and hidden gems where the founders are looking to exit for various reasons and are willing to let go of their business assets at bargain prices," says Mr Tan, 43.

"I then come in with my team and key partners and turn around the businesses or grow them through better management, more synergy with my existing businesses and increase the profitability.

"I then look for new buyers to buy these businesses at higher multiples - in essence, classic private equity plays."

However, he does not plan to divest every business he owns.

One that he plans to keep and nurture is the corporate advisory firm that advises firms planning to do ICO/ITO. An ICO or an ITO is like an initial public offering on the share market in that it serves as a means by which funds are raised for new cryptocurrency ventures.

Mr Tan hopes that it will one day become a "unicorn", that is, a start-up with an estimated valuation of more than $1 billion.

"We are at the forefront of the ICO/ITO wave and have the potential to be an industry giant. In fact, we are already running our own ITO as we speak, and I am also already advising a handful of new ICOs from Vietnam, Costa Rica and Greece," he adds.

Gravitas' first ITO will be publicly launched next month .

Mr Tan recently wrote and self-published a book, How To ICO/ITO - Legal And Regulatory Framework In Singapore.

He is married to Ms Sharon Loh, 38, a part-time assistant director at the Ministry of National Development. They have a two-year old son, Zendyll.

Q MONEYWISE, HOW WERE YOUR GROWING-UP YEARS?
A My mother, who is an insurance agent with NTUC Income, was instrumental in imparting her financial values to me. Her values are to save and reduce cost, and she tried to instil a saving mentality in me and my sister.

She opened a savings account for me very early and encouraged me to deposit money regularly.

This definitely worked for my younger sister, as she treats money in the same way as my mother, but I actually went to the other extreme.

My values about money are to create more and increase my earning capacity, instead of saving more.

So I come from a wealth expansion and growth, instead of a savings, mentality.

Q HOW DID YOU GET INTERESTED IN INVESTING?
A I recall reading books related to business and investments which belonged to my father, who was a mechanical engineering lecturer.

He is now retired. That started me thinking about my own financial goals, and my aspiration to be a multimillionaire grew.

When I was 30, I read Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.

I did some arbitrary calculations and aspired to achieve at least $200 million in net worth.

Working backwards from what I was earning as a lawyer at the time, I realised that I would never hit that target as a salaried employee or even as a small business owner.

I therefore took the step of venturing into business.

Q DESCRIBE YOUR INVESTING STRATEGY.
A My primary focus is in business growth, so most of the profits are put back into growing my various businesses and re-investing to expand them aggressively, since they are totally within my control.

Passive investments such as long-term insurance policies and equities are minimal. My investments are mostly in active businesses with some degree of control.

I also have an in-house trader who manages the reserve funds from my businesses, and this generates about 40 to 50 per cent annually. Using the funds in this managed account, he trades mainly equities and foreign exchange.

Q WHAT'S IN YOUR INVESTMENT PORTFOLIO?
A My investment portfolio - which is worth $50 million - comprises my various businesses, as well as some equities under a managed account. My portfolio also includes property investments in the commercial sector which have done well.

I intend to be fully involved in the fastest-growing real estate space with a joint venture with Our Space, a new global co-working space player based in Dubai and Britain. We have a goal of opening 25 premium quality co-working offices in Asia.

I did invest a bit in gold around 2009 and made some money.

I bought a four-room Housing Board flat in Hougang for about $300,000 in 2011. It has appreciated by about $150,000. I'm renting it out for about $2,000 a month. I'm planning to buy an executive condominium after I sell this flat.

Q WHAT ARE YOUR IMMEDIATE INVESTMENT PLANS?
A My immediate focus is to open up five new co-working space outlets in Singapore, and to combine the offerings from both my IT company with these offerings to create more value for customers and entrepreneurs.

Other than business investment opportunities that crop up, I will be putting spare funds into the managed account where my in-house trader can look for high-yield, fixed income opportunities.

Q WHAT DOES MONEY MEAN TO YOU?
A Traditionally, money has been more a measure of success.

Interestingly, I am now engaged in ICO/ITO advisory work and am launching our own ITO as well.

ICO/ITO launches create a new digital currency that the investors buy and can then trade in or keep for long-term value or utility, based on the particular digital currency characteristics and offering.

With this new arena opening up, money has now taken on a very different meaning for me.

Value creation and wealth creation resonate more with me now, rather than the previous chasing of money as a measure.

Q WHAT IS YOUR RETIREMENT PLAN?
A I am working towards a personal net worth of $200 million.

This will be funded by capital gains from companies I've founded and invested in.

My passive investments involve putting more funds into the managed investment account while active income will come from the firms and businesses that I'm managing and operating.

I want to take care of my family for life and be risk-free. I plan to have a legacy plan which includes setting up a trust to be structured under the care of professionals.

The challenge is to earn enough from passive and active investments in order to start these portfolios.

Q HOME IS NOW...
A A rented three-bedroom 1,200 sq ft condominium in Yishun facing the reservoir, so it has a nice view.

Q I DRIVE.....
A A silver grey BMW X5.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/invest/getting-down-to-business-with-200m-retirement-goal

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
my uncle say why need lawyer. he say if hire lawyer can twist law that means that clause has not been written properly and need to re written . he say why do we need to pay a lawyer to findout the law, if we cannot find ourselves means is a con world to hide the law and pay money to reveal it.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
my uncle say why need lawyer. he say if hire lawyer can twist law that means that clause has not been written properly and need to re written . he say why do we need to pay a lawyer to findout the law, if we cannot find ourselves means is a con world to hide the law and pay money to reveal it.

If I don't hire lawyer, then towkays like myself would need to hire muscle to get our way. You prefer me to hire lawyer or hire armed muscle to settle dispute?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This lawyer from NUS is only 43 years old and he has already accumulated a fortune of $50M from his hard work. This is only possible thanks to the safe and stable environment in Singapore provided by good PAP leadership.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I don't hire lawyer, then towkays like myself would need to hire muscle to get our way. You prefer me to hire lawyer or hire armed muscle to settle dispute?
my uncle say it is cheaper for you to hire arm muscle than a lawyer. he say you make conman malcom tan richer.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
My investment portfolio - which is worth $50 million - comprises my various businesses, as well as some equities under a managed account. My portfolio also includes property investments in the commercial sector which have done well.

If you have to come out and tell us your net worth....you probably do not have it.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You believe this tuakang yaosiew?
Got 50 million still buy Hdb and stay rented cheapo condo? Still bother waste time work as lawyer? Maximise the time to invest in more businesses lor.
Self praise Bullocks.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you have to come out and tell us your net worth....you probably do not have it.

Are you accusing the good lawyer Malcolm of lying? That's a defamation lawsuit in the making. I hope you have lots of money to pay him for besmirching his good name.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good for him...

But if he were that successful he wont have time to be a lawyer... So seems like its a necessity.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am always extremely skeptical of people who come out on national media declaring great wealth in an explicit and almost vulgar manner. The narratives are so similar and choreographed which makes it hard to believe. Over the years I've noticed people who do that generally have a hidden agenda in promoting themselves for money making purposes. Almost all these hypesters are involved in a combination of the following:

1) Sales like insurance, property, MLM where having maximum fame as a 'rich & successful guy' helps in gaining trust of customers
2) Self-help 'guru' either through selling courses, books or mentorship
3) Involved in some 'exotic' business or investment whereby there is a constant need to source for capital to fund it

It's quite obvious that he is simply using the interview to plug for his companies. Throwing out bombastic numbers like $50 / $200 million, claiming to be involved in all sorts of companies in different industries, positioning himself as the forefront expert in digital currencies, my guess is he is trying to get people to 'invest' with him then hopefully somewhere down the road do an ICO/IPO pocket the money and move on.

Last edited:

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
You believe this tuakang yaosiew?
Got 50 million still buy Hdb and stay rented cheapo condo? Still bother waste time work as lawyer? Maximise the time to invest in more businesses lor.
Self praise Bullocks.

that's why..............when he talk about buying 4rm flat recently in 2011..............i knew something is up..........

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you accusing the good lawyer Malcolm of lying? That's a defamation lawsuit in the making. I hope you have lots of money to pay him for besmirching his good name.

If you got money...don't have to tell the world. People will notice you.

If you have a net worth of $200m...quit your job and spend full time looking after your fuggly wife and take care of your down syndrome child.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that's why..............when he talk about buying 4rm flat recently in 2011..............i knew something is up..........

If the retard really got 50 million portfolio he won’t be harping on a lousy Hdb flat ‘investment’ that appreciatied $150k in 7 years.
And his planned next eureka real estate investment is an EC! And that’s only after he sells his Hdb flat to fund that purchase. I thot he said got 50 million?
Dumbfuck rents his hdb out for $2k but rents a condo in Yishun. I’m sure his can’t cover his condo rental this way. Like this call money smart?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Full of shit, only an idiot would believe the fellow. He'll probably die with 200 million rupiah to his name.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wife look like sinkie peasants.

With his money, wife should be ATB actress standard.

But then again, sinkies are peasant at heart. Even socialite Nancy Gan’s son married a Desi Tamilian wifey, kenna conned for his multi million inheritance.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reporter took bribe to write this fake interview?
His name is not listed in the profile of Keystone Law Corporation.

Either he sianz tao, or the report sianz tao. But could be related to the boss of the firm, because same surname. Maybe daddy was his first investor.

I believe a lot of reporters team up with PR firms.

The best part is rent out 4-room flat to rent a Yishun condo. Every sinkie can do hat, no need investment guru. $150,000 appreciation of HDB machiam a A-star on his resume, die die also must mention.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He bought a 4 bedroom HDB flat 6 years ago and he is worth $50m. Either this guy cannot separate between assets and liabilities or he is pulling a fast one to push the valuation of his companies to unload.

Even if you worth $3m you would not be holding on to a HDB flat at age 43. He obviously has no idea of what opportunity cost is.

The reporter is another idiot, putting this out without checking. If he had inherited a substantial amount, then it should be mentioned as it’s relevant to the story.

Imagine he has $50m and he is waiting for his HDB flat to appreciate. Reminds me of the $7k taxi driver who then changed his story.