• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

50 swimmers ill in New Delhi Commonwealth Games

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Sports/Story/A1Story20101007-241142.html

Thu, Oct 07, 2010
AFP

20101007.171308_cgames_pool.jpg

50 swimmers ill in Commonwealth Games

NEW DELHI - Delhi's besieged Commonwealth Games confronted a new enemy on Thursday when over 50 swimmers fell ill just as eyes turned to the 100m, the traditional blue riband track and field showdown.

Around 40 English and 12 Australian swimmers had complained of feeling unwell after competing at the S.P. Mukherjee Aquatics Complex, with team officials insisting that the problem area was the warm-up pool.

"We must investigate this immediately. If the water is unsafe then clearly you can't swim in it," said Commonwealth Games Federation president Mike Fennell.

"We are concerned if athletes can't perform to their best."

Stomach problems being experienced by swimmers have already forced two Australian medal prospects to pull out.

Olympic bronze medallists Andrew Lauterstein and Hayden Stoeckel failed to start in the 100m butterfly and 100m backstroke heats because of "gastro" problems, a team spokesman told AFP.

The problems in the pool are the latest to plague these ill-starred Games after the build-up was marred by allegations of corruption, terrorism fears, shoddy workmanship and big-name withdrawals.

Since the Games got underway, venues have been scarred by acres of empty seats despite assurances from organisers that ticket sales have boomed.

Under-fire organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi insisted on Thursday that 125,000 tickets had been sold the previous day.

"There has been a real surge," he said, before claiming that tickets for the rugby sevens, swimming as the semi-finals and final of the badminton are sold out.

Kalmadi said that 90 percent of boxing tickets have already been sold and 80 percent of the tennis.

On a day when 35 golds are to be decided, the all-conquering Australian swimming squad were out for more gold to add to the 14 they had already garnered.

Former world record-hodler Eamon Sullivan was fastest into the final of the men's 100m freestyle while compatriot Emily Seebohm goes for the one-two in the 50m backstroke following her gold in the 100m.

Olympic champion and Commonwealth record holder Leisel Jones is looking to defend her 100m breaststroke crown for a third consecutive Games after her success in the 200m on Wednesday.

England's world record holder and Olympic champion Rebecca Adlington is favourite for the 800m final while, in the men's 50m breaststroke, world record holder and world champion Cameron Van Der Burgh of South Africa is seeking a double after winning the 100m event.

Inside a virtually deserted Jawaharlal Nehru athletics stadium, Kenya's Viola Kibiwot was the fastest into the women's 1,500m final with compatriot and Olympic champion Nancy Langat also easing through.

Other gold medals at stake on Thursday are in the men's and women's 100m. In the absence of Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell, England's Mark Lewis-Francis, who won silver in the European Championships, Jamaica's Oshane Bailey and Canada's Sam Effah look to be the best bets for gold.

The women's 100m final is also held, with Natasha Mayers of St Vincent and the Grenadines the fastest into the semi-finals but well off Debbie Ferguson's Commonwealth record time of 10.91.

Other medals will be decided in the women's hammer, where Wales' Carys Parry (63.53m) was the best qualifier, and men's shot put, with Amand Scott of Jamaica among the favourites.

In early medal action on Thursday, Australia continued to dominate track cycling with teenager Megan Dunn picking up her second gold medal in as many days in the 10km scratch race.

Australia now have seven from a possible eight track titles and look unstoppable with three more golds up for grabs on Thursday.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
PUB should sponsor Newater to India to fill up the pool.

This is the once in the lifetime opportunity for PUB to sell its brand.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
It all about the software. You can open chequebook and cut a $10B check and have the nice facilties (provided officials do not siphon off too much). But then the software comes into play - the water, the basic ingredients for the food, the refrigeration for the food, washing of hands, power supply. Even flies. You may have a clean complex but the houseflies from the slums and no public latrines can carry the disease right into the complex.

One thing I see that is very sad. The officials keep trying to compare this Commonwealth Games to Beijing Olympics. They should recognize that there is no comparision.

But having said that, India has done a pretty decent job but hopefully they will be truthful in going after the corrupt officials and figure out what went wrong. If they gloss over their mistakes and pat themselves on their backs then they will never improve.

Then realize that they need to improve the lot of the poor - software. Just evicting hundreds of thousands away from the city for the event does not help.

Why not start with the basics - clean water, proper toilets and proper trash collection for all of New Delhi. It does not cost much and I think 1/3 of what they spend on the Commonwealth will be enough. This will benefit the millions living in New Delhi. After that - duplicate the efforts to the rest of the major cities.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah, it is not the Olympics.

Without the Chinese, Romanians and Ruskies, the gymnasts are really fuck type.

Cheers!

One thing I see that is very sad. The officials keep trying to compare this Commonwealth Games to Beijing Olympics. They should recognize that there is no comparision.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the strange thing. I forgot it was just Commonwealth games and wonder why Malaysians were winning. I guess minus the US, German, China and former Eastern European powerhouses things are not the same.

But it gives atheletes from lesser nations a chance.

Yah, it is not the Olympics.

Without the Chinese, Romanians and Ruskies, the gymnasts are really fuck type.

Cheers!

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think our Sinkie swimmers are immune to this kind of Global, especially Asiatic water-borne viral infection.

There is so many FTrash in our regular public pool that I'd rather swim in my bath tub jacuzzi at home.

hahahaha!!! u dare to swim in a mama pool??? what do u think they do with the water??? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
My late Ah Kong explained to me that the Brits formed the Commonwealth Nations after losing USA in the War Of Independence and did so to prevent similar independent rebel colonies from forming. As it turned out, the US became a larger and more dynamic country than mother Britain. My Ah Kong also told me that before WW2, Sydney was a copycat London and after WW2, Sydney became a copycat New York; I believe there is some truth in this. Many Ozzies want to shake off connections with the British monarchy, and when that happens, Canada will do likewise. And the South Asians will takeover London and the Chinese will own the Premier League's top teams. I don't know whether that is good or not, but it does look like it's going that way.

Cheers!

That is the strange thing. I forgot it was just Commonwealth games and wonder why Malaysians were winning. I guess minus the US, German, China and former Eastern European powerhouses things are not the same.

But it gives atheletes from lesser nations a chance.