• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2nd Seat warmer Heng wants a strong mandate in the coming GE from dumb Sinkies for 10 million population!

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think he is wrong to say that we need to grow our population in time to come . As our population ages and more and more old people are living longer, coupled with a low birth rate, it is really a no brainer to bring in foreign talents to backfill the active workforce if we still want to grow our economy at the current rate. He is just stating the obvious. It is not a novel idea.

Damien-Mystic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think he is wrong to say that we need to grow our population in time to come . As our population ages and more and more old people are living longer, coupled with a low birth rate, it is really a no brainer to bring in foreign talents to backfill the active workforce if we still want to grow our economy at the current rate. He is just stating the obvious. It is not a novel idea.

"Grow" our population yes, but "import"?
Import from where?
In time to come, imports in our G team?
If no, something is not right.

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm so happy for our highest paid ministers in the world. More foreigners means more money coming in (unknown sources) which means more taxes and expenses which means boosting economy which means more bonuses for my multimillionaire ministers. Long live PAP, huat ahhhhh

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Grow" our population yes, but "import"?
Import from where?
In time to come, imports in our G team?
If no, something is not right.
There is no real difference ... organic or inorganic ... as long as population increases that is needed to deliver the economic good.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm quite sure the smaller islands and the northern part of HK are sparsely populated.

Sinkieland, I think you have to go to the SAF live firing area north of Pasir Laba Camp, and maybe a few spots of the central reservoirs, to avoid the crowd.

That means sinkieland even worse than HK!

Oh well.... It was nice while it lasted...

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm so happy for our highest paid ministers in the world. More foreigners means more money coming in (unknown sources) which means more taxes and expenses which means boosting economy which means more bonuses for my multimillionaire ministers. Long live PAP, huat ahhhhh
well said!

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's beside the point. Our entire country is a ponzi built upon an ever-increasing population. The moment the population stops growing eveything will just collapse. What about the future generations of sinkies? Who cares! You die your business!

Annunaki

Alfrescian
Loyal

5ABCD04F-99E4-4E25-9AA1-544FBAAEBC90.gif

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am thankful that we have a future Prime Minister who is able to see that Singapore cannot depend on her whingeing citizenry to do any productive work other than bitch and complain endlessly about the "garment", CPF, the PAP, Malays/ Muslims, Chinese ("Ah Tiongs"), etc.

The type of whingers who demand a more "caring" and "welfare" society (read: free handouts) but then bitch and whine when taxes and GST have to be raised to fund these more "caring" and "welfare" society.

Kudos to him and the PAP. The PAP has secured my vote and that of my family's with this wise decision.

Damien-Mystic

Alfrescian
Loyal
if the country cannot deliver the economic goods, and its citizens are starving , what good it is ?

You are suggesting that those in power now have delivered the economic goods, and will continue to do so by increasing population imports.

With increase in resident population, GDP will increase, and I concur with you this is a no brainer. Even if a new group of people come into power, they will do exactly the same thing to bring in more people to drive the economy.

But to suggest that those currently in power will continue to sustain our GDP by solely increasing population imports is perhaps stretching the envelope a little.

Let me ask you, what drives our GDP engine now? and what will these drivers be ten years from now?

Increasing population imports, yes. But will these population imports become our policy makers in time to come?

Just recently, in another thread here in SBF, we hear of people claiming they know best what is good for everyone and everyone knows little or nothing about what we want.

Really?

Damien-Mystic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am thankful that we have a future Prime Minister who is able to see that Singapore cannot depend on her whingeing citizenry to do any productive work other than bitch and complain endlessly about the "garment", CPF, the PAP, Malays/ Muslims, Chinese ("Ah Tiongs"), etc.

The type of whingers who demand a more "caring" and "welfare" society (read: free handouts) but then bitch and whine when taxes and GST have to be raised to fund these more "caring" and "welfare" society.

Kudos to him and the PAP. The PAP has secured my vote and that of my family's with this wise decision.

Who nurtured and cultivated these bitches and whiners? Make a guess ...

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are suggesting that those in power now have delivered the economic goods, and will continue to do so by increasing population imports.

With increase in resident population, GDP will increase, and I concur with you this is a no brainer. Even if a new group of people come into power, they will do exactly the same thing to bring in more people to drive the economy.

But to suggest that those currently in power will continue to sustain our GDP by solely increasing population imports is perhaps stretching the envelope a little.

Let me ask you, what drives our GDP engine now? and what will these drivers be ten years from now?

Increasing population imports, yes. But will these population imports become our policy makers in time to come?

Just recently, in another thread here in SBF, we hear of people claiming they know best what is good for everyone and everyone knows little or nothing about what we want.

Really?

Don't kid yourself ... the only resource we have is good talents... if we don't have good talents ourselves, we import ... if we don't import good talents, we will go down the drain.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's beside the point. Our entire country is a ponzi built upon an ever-increasing population. The moment the population stops growing eveything will just collapse. What about the future generations of sinkies? Who cares! You die your business!

It is plain economics... you need talents to build the economy. if you can't get the talents from your own... you import .. look... that's how Silicon Valley is built up. Of course, you need to integrate the imports into the mainstream so that they become a part of the whole fabric of society ... Singapore is unique in the sense that we are not a homogenous society like Japan... we are made up of different races, religions and languages... so, foreigners can get assimilated quite easily into our society because of the diversity.

Damien-Mystic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't kid yourself ... the only resource we have is good talents... if we don't have good talents ourselves, we import ... if we don't import good talents, we will go down the drain.

It is plain economics... you need talents to build the economy. if you can't get the talents from your own... you import .. look... that's how Silicon Valley is built up. Of course, you need to integrate the imports into the mainstream so that they become a part of the whole fabric of society ... Singapore is unique in the sense that we are not a homogenous society like Japan... we are made up of different races, religions and languages... so, foreigners can get assimilated quite easily into our society because of the diversity.

Is interesting that you point to assimilation of foreigners into our society but mentioned nothing about assimilation into our government, a point which I've been trying to highlight to you.

Nothing to do with whether is ok to import foreign talent or otherwise. Nothing to do with whether our society is homogeneous or otherwise. Nothing to do with anything else. Is just about whether foreign talents will become members of our government in time to come.

So please don't kid yourself either. One can't expect to have their cakes and eat it too. If that were to be the case, we'll have a dynasty, nothing more, nothing less.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is interesting that you point to assimilation of foreigners into our society but mentioned nothing about assimilation into our government, a point which I've been trying to highlight to you.

Nothing to do with whether is ok to import foreign talent or otherwise. Nothing to do with whether our society is homogeneous or otherwise. Nothing to do with anything else. Is just about whether foreign talents will become members of our government in time to come.

So please don't kid yourself either. One can't expect to have their cakes and eat it too. If that were to be the case, we'll have a dynasty, nothing more, nothing less.

HSK didn't mention about bringing foreigners into the cabinet... you are stretching to extremes ... that 's not even in the Constitution either.

HSK speech to NTU students
Singaporeans need to be open and understanding of foreigners - whether immigrants or workers and students from other countries
( where is government ministers mentioned ? ) - so that they have the confidence to interact with people of all races, languages and cultures from around the world, said Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat.
It will be very negative for Singaporeans to draw an exclusive circle for themselves as Singapore would then have no place in the world.

On the projected population of 6.9 million by 2030, set out in the Government's 2013 Population White Paper, Mr Heng said the number goes beyond how densely populated Singapore would be. The social space is as important.

Singapore's population density is not excessive, he said, noting that other cities are a lot more crowded in terms of liveable space.
He cited former chief planner Liu Thai Ker, who said in 2014 that Singapore should plan for 10 million people for it to remain sustainable in the long term.
Giving an account of a constituent who was not comfortable with having foreigners working in his company, Mr Heng said there lies a "difficult trade-off" of integration Singaporeans have to make.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We don't need more Ah Nehs ...1 million Ah Nehs here already and see where are the good paying jobs going to? We got no talent, is it?