• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

政治文抄公- Political Plagiarizing

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ghostwriters are not owners of the work they create for politicians or anyone for that matter. This is because they have been employed to produce that work. Hence the issue of plagiarism does not arise. This is clearly stated under Section 12.01.5 of Singapore's Intellectual Property Law.
=> I am aware of the legal disclaimers on this issue which does exist all over the world. In USA, it is definitely necessary to have the disclaimer as litigation is a lucrative business for client and legal representative. Singapore's IPL was copied and adapted from Australia, if memory serves me right, 97 version? Long time since I bothered to touch it and Singapore Law after witnessing CJs who can see how I can think when modern science still admits it cannot understand much of the human mind and CJs that say if you can materialize out of nowhere into a voting area as a political candidate, you do not violate regulations of keeping minimum distance away. I guess I must be thinking 2D. Perhaps those political candidates from that one party were from a different time line.

True, they are not legal owners of those works due to the created officious writing made to look legal. But ask the "legal" owner to reproduce the same type of writing and ask what was the basis and train of thought for making his legal ownership piece. I know many a researcher here in the earlier days being so pissed as they could not own any of the work they did. Someone else here profited big time on it. I am not sure if they were allowed to publish findings in their names at all as I never bothered to dig on the issue. Of course, the same applies to both CSM and Singh that they should attribute to whomever, or everyone in parliament should start saying, "through our consultative findings, we....." or " as representatives of the people's aspirations and concerns, we......" So whatever they do or say is representing what Singaporeans have already said or written, though it is not strong legally. But let us be mindful of the slippery slope. No idea is that original. Chances are you can find something somewhere for every concept raised in Parliament if you search over the world.

Having said that, CSM and PS should, as a simple matter of ethics, acknowledge that the work they reproduced was not theirs instead of creating the impression that it was. They should say the work is being reproduced by them with permission by authors who wish to remain private. => True, no doubt.But then again, Pappies create an impression of a lot things that came from public consultation responses to be theirs, too.

Those who got a big fat zero for plagiarism in the late 70s/early 80s may know who I am. => Yes, it does and it continues as it is still the culture even in junior colleges and polys. I saw a boy doing mechatronics getting As for his works which he shamelessly cut and paste to put into his papers for submission. I was wondering how this dumb arse could actually complete so much work and get As. I understand. Chances are lecturers are involved in it to cut their work of dealing with failed students and keep a good track record for themselves. If proper paraphrasing with citation is adopted, lecturers need to seriously buck up their substandard teaching as do students. Let's face it, the standards of education are actually not high in Singapore and also in most parts of the world. I have seen outright plagiarism from students in Germany, China, Japan, Korea. There is also the issue of language. Many a Chinese, Japanese and Korean, use translation either from their mother tongue or to their mother tongue as a way to flagrantly flout the plagiarism ruling. Due to the bloody fact that if you use a software to detect in plagiarism in Chinese, Japanese and Korean, you will have a serious headache as writing styles are extremely parsimonious, due to the nature of the languages - you end up with so many things being accused as plagiarized. I did a comparison of different writings on the same topic before. By US, standards, it is straight plagiarism for all of them including professors.

For USA, creative paraphrasing is used to pass off ideas as their own original, till they meet professors who know the subject matter and literal review inside out. Then they get fucked.

I support attributing to people with original ideas, but it is becoming tougher with time as more information is becoming available to us in the world and you find that the thoughts of individuals are not that unique after all. Then you have the immature debate that Duanwujie is a Korean creation, Japanese filing patent for making curry.
Thoughts that are too unique will be alien to everyone and likely not understood. BTW, fractals were created and better understood to African tribes far earlier than when fragments of thoughts were invented in Europe. African tribal understanding of fractals are still driving pHds from ivy leagues nuts. So fractals is a black thing invention, you dig? Do not attribute it to the whitties. My fucking 2cents worth.

Z

Zombie

many came from academic point of view
some came from political point of view
few came from voters' point of view

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
many came from academic point of view
some came from political point of view
few came from voters' point of view

True. I have yet to see any oppo go into parliament and whack hard on in figures and from the voters' pov with facts and cases on the ground. It would be nice to see if the retaliation is just heckling or defamation.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
The blogger has already clarified that there's no problem with it. Why's GMS still jumping up and down pulling his own hair out? It's clear, it's because it's WP.

The WP needs to carry out a bit of soul-searching. In the old forum, forummers regularly mocked the WP for their arrogance even though they had only one seat in Parliament. I remember asking everyone to imagine the consequences of the WP having "two seats" when, with just one seat then, the WP and its supporters were haughtily swaggering with incredible arrogance. Ironically, GMS was part of the WP crowd that swaggered and belittled not only the SDP but all the other opposition parties.

So GMS' current belittling of the WP is not foreign to me. Nor should it be with the old-timers who know him or even worse, supported and joined him when he and his fellow comrades were belittling the other opposition parties. Hence, I read his current diatribes against the WP with a wry smile. I can't help but ponder on this little karmic retribution being wreaked on WP by a former insider with ready access to the Chinese tabloids.

Now that they have more than two seats, it would be wise for the WP and their supporters to do a little bit of soul-searching as to why GMS has turned against them with a vengeance.

Many of the old members of WP have their differences with the manner in which LTK usurped JBJ. However, they have held their tongues and withheld critical information and classified documents in their possession in matters which would be most damaging and which would irreparably damage LTK and WP. They recognise there is a larger cause at stake. GMS needs to recognise this too.

Likewise, the WP and its supporters have to recognise that it was the visible and demonstrable humility of men like DSM and JBJ that created the WP brand name. Continued arrogance will continue to make enemies, some fatal and mortal, out of old comrades.

It would do well for the WP and it supporters to shed the haughty belief that they are now the mother of all opposition parties. They need to sit down with GMS and trash out their differences. Unlike the ordinary men in the street, some of these ex-comrades have access to classified documents and information from the time they were in WP. Despite the tight control, they continue to have such information through old networks.

This is what I posted in May 2011 in "The Worker Party is Finished" thread.

One year on, the triumphalism and arrogance of the WP and its supporters, unfortunately, continues.

jw5

Loyal
The WP needs to carry out a bit of soul-searching.

Absolutely, but they also happen to be the only opposition party which has elected MPs. At last count, 5 vs the pap 80+. So should we go back to the "good old days" of your 'WP Baru", or should we try and hope that there will be more elected opposition MPs in future, to make the government more responsible and accountable?

I agree with the points about stating sources, but in the bigger picture, ordinary citizens generally don't bother about things like these. If in my lifetime, WP does form the government and decide to ride roughshod over the citizens, I will be happy to support pappy and welcome you to join me.

Btw, did you like my tribute to JBJ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we are all on the same bandwagon. Thought we might not say it outright in this thread, PAP is still the issue and our focus for transparency and accountability. WP erred and they should acknowledge this and behave better. But they certainly did not rape, pillage, plunder and massacre anything or anyone which GMS feels they have done.

If he can pay more attention to Nigerian Nair, we are all will be better for it.

jw5

Loyal
I think we are all on the same bandwagon. Thought we might not say it outright in this thread, PAP is still the issue and our focus for transparency and accountability. WP erred and they should acknowledge this and behave better. But they certainly did not rape, pillage, plunder and massacre anything or anyone which GMS feels they have done.

Well said, but telling this to GMS in his own thread is like knocking on a block of wood.
The way he is behaving, it's almost as if they did rape or pillage him. (which of course they did not)

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
One year on, the triumphalism and arrogance of the WP and its supporters, unfortunately, continues.

I have no trouble with your attributes of the WP since I have been living all my life under a political leadership with the same character traits.

Winners I can live with. Ces't la vie. It's the mooing mad cow and the incessant barking of an insane calico dog loser that gets in my hair.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
jw5 said:
Well said, but telling this to GMS in his own thread is like knocking on a block of wood.
The way he is behaving, it's almost as if they did rape or pillage him. (which of course they did not)

Or maybe they did. GMS' babblings about WP's "misdeeds" under the guise of high integrity can only be understood from an intense hatred of WP. Can anyone enlighten us what actually happened at WP that led to his resignation or sack from WP? It is about time, we should know the truth.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Or maybe they did. GMS' babblings about WP's "misdeeds" under the guise of high integrity can only be understood from an intense hatred of WP. Can anyone enlighten us what actually happened at WP that led to his resignation or sack from WP? It is about time, we should know the truth.

I was there in the middle of it all. I know the truth. You wan't the truth? You can handle the truth? But sorry, I can't handle telling the truth!

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely, but they also happen to be the only opposition party which has elected MPs. At last count, 5 vs the pap 80+. So should we go back to the "good old days" of your 'WP Baru", or should we try and hope that there will be more elected opposition MPs in future, to make the government more responsible and accountable?

The "good old days" of "WP Baru" was nothing but a tit-for-tat, a mocking reciprocity. If any of the WP old timers had wanted to cause real damage, private information and classified documents which would have caused irreparable damage to LTK and WP would have been released. Instead nothing of that sort happened. Whatever information used in that mocking tit-and-tat reciprocal response was information already available in the public domain, courtesy of the 147th Prostitute Press.

JBJ had appealed (even though he was very angry about what happened) to the old timers to see the larger picture and the larger interest of Singapore. He requested the old timers to respect his wish not to carry out their plans. So these classified information and documents continue to be safeguarded in the filing cabinets of two of these old timers.

Btw, did you like my tribute to JBJ?

Unlike in the past, I pop in here only every once in a long while and miss reading your tribute to JBJ. If you have done so, good on you and thank you for acknowledging the man, his work, his sacrifice and his magnanimity.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, while Ramseth holds on to the truth, will furnish what I know.

After GE 2006, GMS and 2 others in the main in this forum began a heated argument that went on and on and basically causing lot of angst. Besides Dr Joe Ong who has repeatedly complained about this to WP and LTK, others did as well. Frankly there were no grounds to discipline him unless being obstinate is a crime. WP CEC as I understand preferred that its members openly do not participate in online forums. Both GMS and one other member who stood as candidate felt otherwise and resigned.

I am aware that one of the 2 who sparred with GMS felt bad and expressed his regret for the outcome and never returned.

I do however side GMS on this. The rest including PAP MPs hide behind facebook or their blogs where they have the power to delete and control entries.

To be honest, participating in online forums is a liability. As he is the only one who does, he becomes the natural target. Note no one else do it. Even Chee and SDP don't do it. Some would have a go and back off.

People with poison pens like Bryan Ti have one thing in mind. And it best not to feed them.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
To be honest, participating in online forums is a liability. As he is the only one who does, he becomes the natural target. Note no one else do it. Even Chee and SDP don't do it. Some would have a go and back off.

bro,
please help jog me memory, Dr Chee did post in Delphi, albeit behind a moniker, didn't he?

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was wondering why a few years back during the RP dinner in Toa Payoh when all the Oppo Generals were present, Goh Meng Seng was dressed up in the NSP garb and prancing from table to table like a clown around where Low Thia Khiang was sitting with his party's members.
Now I can see that it was the act of an immature boy telling someone who had rejected him that......

"See! You don't want me I also can join a better and bigger gang!" What adolescent behaviour!

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Goh Meng Seng was dressed up in the NSP garb and prancing from table to table like a clown around where Low Thia Khiang was sitting with his party's members.

Then why are you guys spending so much time entertaining the clown? Who is more clown. You guys entertain a lot better on other topics here without needing to be a clown. Of course, if you guys want to prove that you are greater clowns than the resident clown, be my guest:biggrin:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then why are you guys spending so much time entertaining the clown? Who is more clown. You guys entertain a lot better on other topics here without needing to be a clown. Of course, if you guys want to prove that you are greater clowns than the resident clown, be my guest:biggrin:

Got a point there. But I will also offer that children should not be involved in adult conversations or teach their Daddies how to fuck!

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got a point there. But I will also offer that children should not be involved in adult conversations or teach their Daddies how to fuck!
Ah, but when the kids have bigger equipment, go on for hours without medication and do more positions, then there is a need to teach Daddies how to fuck:biggrin:

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was wondering why a few years back during the RP dinner in Toa Payoh when all the Oppo Generals were present, Goh Meng Seng was dressed up in the NSP garb and prancing from table to table like a clown around where Low Thia Khiang was sitting with his party's members.
Now I can see that it was the act of an immature boy telling someone who had rejected him that......

"See! You don't want me I also can join a better and bigger gang!" What adolescent behaviour!

gms thought that its his wedding? :p