• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual citizenship acceptable in Singapore ?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everything sounds pretty well. Some reference to existing legislation will be even better and will no doubt put the ghost of dual citizenship to rest.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That the trouble with Singaporeans - must have everything in black and White. How to produce legislation when it does not exist. There is no legislation to flush your toilet after midnight. Better not flush to be on the safe side.

While the children of Ministers and MPs, senior civil servants, well educated people and wealthy businessmen hold on to dual and even multiple citizenship, the peasants wait for official press release from the Straits Times.

Everything sounds pretty well. Some reference to existing legislation will be even better and will no doubt put the ghost of dual citizenship to rest.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
That the trouble with Singaporeans - must have everything in black and White. How to produce legislation when it does not exist. There is no legislation to flush your toilet after midnight. Better not flush to be on the safe side.

While the children of Ministers and MPs, senior civil servants, well educated people and wealthy businessmen hold on to dual and even multiple citizenship, the peasants wait for official press release from the Straits Times.

Scroobal, it's your word against the rest of Google.

I believe you have a point, but in order to put the ghost to rest something more has to be done. Those who say dual citizenship is not acceptable should now bear the burden of proof.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing personal. But this forum is now 12 years old and one of it's popular folder is the emigration folder. It was running from day 1 when emigration agents were not allowed to operate or advertise in Singapore. This folder has successfully helped families and singles to relocate over a time when info was sparse and experiences on the ground was slim.

One of the 1st question asked first is naturally if dual citizenship is prohibited by law. It's now 12 years and no one has been able to provide that imaginative piece of legislation. In the meantime, the brave, the bold and the smart ones have gone across, bought land, bought businesses, sent kids to universities and some have come back as expats. No longer leashed to the PAP.

I know one lady who was running a business where the rentals were just going up and could not make ends meet. She came to this forum and asked for help. She was even honest enough to say that her husband is not one to chat on the net and she had to do the comms. As she was not lazy and did much of the research, the brothers and sisters here stepped in to help. She did not qualify on her own and sought a sponsor. The day she asked, a brother from Melbourne readily offered.To cut along story short, her family migrated to Melbourne, met by the people associated with this forum. They are doing very well.

Another is a doctor who was determined. There are restrictions on doctors unlike other vocations to first world countries. After years of trying he is now a happy man with his family and new life.

The handiwork of this forum is not confined to 5 favorite 1st world destinations. The thread that is breaking all the records is the one on JB. Guess who made it a sticky. It's breathing space for many Singaporeans.

You can hold your dick and wait for an answer or get some balls real quick.

Scroobal, it's your word against the rest of Google.

I believe you have a point, but in order to put the ghost to rest something more has to be done. Those who say dual citizenship is not acceptable should now bear the burden of proof.

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not a lawyer, so what I say is simply my understanding:

When one says "dual citizenship is not allowed", one can mean any of the following:
(1) There is a fine or jail time for being a dual citizen.
(2) You have to inform the SG authorities once you acquire any citizenship.
(3) If you have another citizenship, your SG is automatically revoked, whether or not the SG govt knows about it.
(4) If you acquire another citizenship, you have to surrender your SG citizenship.
(5) If you have another citizenship, the SG government MAY revoke your citizenship
(There may be other interpretations).

I know the old Australian nationality law was like (3) (before they allowed dual citizenship). India's law, I believe, is like (4). As far as I know, Singapore's law is in category (5), which leaves things effectively up to the SG govt's discretion.

Liem.Baey

what about a 6th option:
(6) Singapore does not recognise the new citizenship.
i.e. no recognition, no change in your current situation/status quo (from SG gov perspective, nothing has happened)

I am not a lawyer, so what I say is simply my understanding:

When one says "dual citizenship is not allowed", one can mean any of the following:
(1) There is a fine or jail time for being a dual citizen.
(2) You have to inform the SG authorities once you acquire any citizenship.
(3) If you have another citizenship, your SG is automatically revoked, whether or not the SG govt knows about it.
(4) If you acquire another citizenship, you have to surrender your SG citizenship.
(5) If you have another citizenship, the SG government MAY revoke your citizenship
(There may be other interpretations).

I know the old Australian nationality law was like (3) (before they allowed dual citizenship). India's law, I believe, is like (4). As far as I know, Singapore's law is in category (5), which leaves things effectively up to the SG govt's discretion.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, dual citizenship or not, it's all documentation.

Let me share with you my observation. When you cross the borders to another country, with your passport, and as long as your passport is legit, and have 6 months of validity, there is no reason why you cannot enter the country.

Unless of course, you are acting suspiciously, and nervous.

Next, NOBODY will give a shit where you come from, when you are in a Country, unless its a country that requires you to REGISTER for a RESIDENT VISA, after you've entered with your PASSPORT VISA.

Whoever can decipher what I am trying to say, GOOD FOR YOU! Whoever do not understand, sorry, go find out yourself.

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bunch of idiots don't even know how to check a simple regulation on the statutes. Full-on retarded cunts. Can't believe such a dumb shit question can go on for 5 pages lol.

Tying your shoelaces will need 1002 pages at least.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fuck! Pea brainer like me can't even spell Beging, dissaprove, awlays, feaces-brained, lowlifes, macdondalds, Girodano, accomodation, correctly and i got the audacity to tell people off here. Sigh..
tongue.gif

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bunch of idiots don't even know how to check a simple regulation on the statutes. Full-on retarded cunts. Can't believe such a dumb shit question can go on for 5 pages lol.

hahahahhahaha, you are the man!!!!!!

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahahahhahaha, you are the man!!!!!!

CB kia tonychat,

u sibei 'charm'. after ivebert and clinton666 left this place, u have got no more allies. no u trying desperately to suck up to this clown. simply pathetic lah u.

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal

The regulation is written in the CONSTITUTION itself. Took me less than 15 secs to find this. Talk about full-on illiteracy and retardedness. Fucking retarded cunts can go on and on for 5 pages.

Huh constitution, what is that lah? Penal code, what lah leh moh hoh wahh ahhh mooooooo!. Fucking hong nong farm animals have the accent and IQ of a cow. If only these retarded cunts had bothered to learn to read they would have not struggled with such a plain dumb question. Now they just need a translator to translate it into their language - Gibberish ...:eek:

[video=youtube;-yCGJWtk_KY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yCGJWtk_KY[/video]

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi-bin/cgi_retrieve.pl?actno=REVED-const

Deprivation of citizenship on acquisition of foreign citizenship
134. —(1) The Government may, by order, deprive a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship if the Government is satisfied that —

(a) he has, while of or over the age of 18 years, at any time after 6th April 1960 acquired by registration, naturalisation or other voluntary and formal act (other than marriage) the citizenship of any country outside Singapore or having so acquired such citizenship before the age of 18 years continues to retain it after that age; or

(b) the citizen, being a woman who is a citizen of Singapore by registration under Article 123 (2), has acquired the citizenship of any country outside Singapore by virtue of her marriage to a person who is not a citizen of Singapore.

(2) Where the Government has made an order under this Article depriving a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship, he shall cease to be a citizen with effect from the date of the order.

Last edited:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thot it was a 5 year rule vs a 2 year rule? Regardless, your knowledge is impressive.

For all we know you are someone along the likes of Ngiam Tong Dow.

HDB has one condition before you sell off your flat. You got to reside in it for 2 years. Those who migrated and bought a HDB flat before leaving or retained a HDB flat got stuck. Some however declared falsely that they were residing in their flat for the 2 years. Other have come back for the 2 years realising that they are caught in a bind.

HDB does not appear to go all out to verify your residence and your citizenship, they will ask you to sell your flat. You can appeal to sell it a little later and not immediately. I understand that they are not picking except for the 2 year reesidency part.

If however you are still retaining your singapore citizenship and have acquired a new country citizenship. You can hold on to your flat but the 2 years residency requirement is applies. This is still a very little known requirement.

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
what about a 6th option:
(6) Singapore does not recognise the new citizenship.
i.e. no recognition, no change in your current situation/status quo (from SG gov perspective, nothing has happened)

Certainly. The options are not mutually exclusive. Although I don't think this is the case for SG, because you are not allowed to vote overseas or register overseas born children as SG citizens after acquiring foreign citizenship.

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi-bin/cgi_retrieve.pl?actno=REVED-const

Deprivation of citizenship on acquisition of foreign citizenship
134. —(1) The Government may, by order, deprive a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship if the Government is satisfied that —

(a) he has, while of or over the age of 18 years, at any time after 6th April 1960 acquired by registration, naturalisation or other voluntary and formal act (other than marriage) the citizenship of any country outside Singapore or having so acquired such citizenship before the age of 18 years continues to retain it after that age; or

(b) the citizen, being a woman who is a citizen of Singapore by registration under Article 123 (2), has acquired the citizenship of any country outside Singapore by virtue of her marriage to a person who is not a citizen of Singapore.

(2) Where the Government has made an order under this Article depriving a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship, he shall cease to be a citizen with effect from the date of the order.

The keyword here is MAY. According to the constitution, the SG govt can choose do nothing for some people who have foreign citizenships, and revoke the SG citizenship of others. Unfortunately this means there is no guarantee (at least according to the law) which way they will go in individual cases. I'm curious is there is anyone here whose SG citizenship was actually deprived when the SG govt found out about his/her foreign citizenship? Or do they simply not renew your SG passport but do not officially take away your SG citizenship?

bobmar

the problem is for singaporeans with dual citizenship arises when they need to renew their red passport every 5 years. The renewal form will ask you to declare if you have obtain another citizenship from another country. By putting "No", you are liable to get charged for making false declaration

bobmar

The keyword here is MAY. According to the constitution, the SG govt can choose do nothing for some people who have foreign citizenships, and revoke the SG citizenship of others. Unfortunately this means there is no guarantee (at least according to the law) which way they will go in individual cases. I'm curious is there is anyone here whose SG citizenship was actually deprived when the SG govt found out about his/her foreign citizenship? Or do they simply not renew your SG passport but do not officially take away your SG citizenship?

however when you renew your SG passport you need to declare if you have another citizenship. by putting No in the renewal form is false declaration right?

potato29

Alfrescian
Loyal
however when you renew your SG passport you need to declare if you have another citizenship. by putting No in the renewal form is false declaration right?

then don't renew SG passport, use the other passport to travel.