• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Xiaomi Tops Chinese Smartphone Market

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I prefer this canal type. not used to others.

410HWJ4VEOL._AC_UL320_SR306,320_.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
http://www.cnet.com/products/xiaomi-mi-5/

Everything we know about the Xiaomi Mi 5

February 18, 2016 4:34 AM PST

xiaomi-mi-5-teaser-720x480.jpg

Xiaomi's latest flagship phone, the Mi 5, will make its official debut next Wednesday at Mobile World Congress 2016, and the rumor mill is churning out plenty of Mi 5 dish. Here's what I've heard so far, along with my best guesses about what the phone will bring.

Availability

I for one don't expect the phone to launch in the US, UK or Australia anytime soon. Though Xiaomi Global Vice President Hugo Barra is showing the phone in Barcelona (a few hours after another event in Beijing), the company is still very much focused on China, Southeast Asia, India and Brazil.

Having said that, this is Xiaomi's first ever MWC event, so it could surprise us by revealing European launch details.

Key details

• Full specs have yet to be revealed
  • Likely to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor
  • Likely to have a metal body
  • Will have a 16-megapixel rear camera

More or less certain is that the Mi 5 will pack Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 820 processor. That's based on a clever clue from Xiaomi's media invite -- the company set registration time at 8:20 a.m. The new processor promises to be blazing fast, based on video teasers from Xiaomi on Facebook.

[video=youtube;-M01W6_loPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M01W6_loPU[/video]

The phone will also likely be clad in metal. Xiaomi has been moving away from plastic bodies since the Redmi Note 3. The company has experimented with glass and matte plastic, but I don't expect that here.

The one certain thing about the phone (for now) is that it will sport a 16-megapixel camera. Barra posted image samples from the phone on the Xiaomi forums and his own Facebook account earlier this week. Check out the sample below.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Mi 5 is Xiaomi's most awesome phone yet.

Watch out, Apple and Samsung: Xiaomi’s Mi 5 phone is coming for you

China's favorite phone-maker pulls out all the stops for new flagship.
by Mark Walton (UK) - Feb 24, 2016 9:40pm CST

DSC08717-980x653.jpg

BARCELONA—You might not have heard of Xiaomi, or used any of its products before. And even if you have, you might be wondering why one of China's largest smartphone makers—which historically hasn't sold to the US and Europe—is here at MWC to talk about its new flagship smartphone, the Mi 5. The answer, it seems, isn't to launch a dramatic assault on the Western market in the same way Huawei has, but rather to warn the likes of Apple and Samsung that Xiaomi is coming, and people are going to love it.

In a surprisingly slick, if odd press conference—VP Hugo Barra glided through the room on one of Xiaomi's own Ninebot mini scooters—the company pitted its new Android-based Mi 5 phone against the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S7 and iPhone 6S. And on paper at least, Apple and Samsung have plenty to worry about. The Mi 5 sports the latest Snapdragon 820 SoC running at 2.2GHz, a 5.15-inch 1080p edge-to-edge display, up to 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM, up to 128GB of UFS 2.0 storage, a 16MP f/2.0 camera with 4-axis OIS (a first, it claims), NFC, a fingerprint scanner, 3000mAh battery, and a gorgeous metal and glass (or ceramic) body.

The price for that little lot? An impressive 2,600 yuan ($398, €361) for the high-end 128GB model with a ceramic body, and 1,999 yuan ($306, €277) for the entry-level version with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. A 64GB version will also be available. All will have black, gold, and white colour options, and all will ship with Android 6.0 running Xiaomi's MIUI 7 interface. The phones will be sold direct from Xiaomi's website in China on March 1, making the Mi 5 one of the first commercially available phones with Qualcomm's latest SoC.

But perhaps the most impressive thing about the Mi 5 isn't its price, but rather the level of build quality that Xiaomi has achieved. This thing looks great, and is light and comfortable to hold, coming in at just 129g for the glass version. All the metal edges have a soft, rounded feel to them, while the curve on the back of the phone makes it easier to grip. Given the tendency for glass to be very slippery and very breakable, this is welcome, although I'd hoped most smartphone makers would have stopped using glass on the back of their phones by now due to its fragility. The ceramic version should be a little tougher, though.

The Mi 5 clocks in at roughly the same dimensions as the iPhone 6S—it's a wee bit thicker at 7.25mm—yet it manages to cram in a larger 5.15-inch display and 3000mAh battery with a 685Wh/L density, one of the highest in the industry Xiaomi claims. The camera module is even completely flush with body—take that, Apple. Speaking of the camera, which is typically a weak point on cheaper phones, Xiaomi's crammed in a 16MP Sony IMX298 module with f/2.0 aperture and sapphire glass lens that features 4K video recording, phase detection auto focus, Deep Trench Isolation (said to prevent light leakage between pixels), and 4-axis optical image stabilisation that counters both rotational and transversal movement.

DSC08700-980x653.jpg

Hopefully Xiaomi's software can live up the potential of the hardware, but the test shots the company showed during its presentation looked sharp, while a video that demonstrated the Mi 5's OIS versus the iPhone 6S suitably showed up the iPhone. Unfortunately, the mad scrum at the Xiaomi press conference (you probably need more than 10 phones next time, guys!) meant I wasn't able to properly test out the camera, but at the very least I can say it focused quickly, and without any discernible shutter lag. On the front there's a 4MP selfie cam that features big pixels to capture more light, similar to HTC's Ultrapixel sensor on the M9 and A9.

Xiaomi also went into a surprising amount of depth regarding storage, boasting that the Mi 5 features much faster LPDDR4 memory, as well as UFS (universal flash storage) 2.0 flash, which it claims is 87 percent faster than the eMMC typically used in phones. UFS 2.0 was first used in Samsung's Galaxy S6 exclusively, although with the likes of SK Hynix now making it too, other phone manufacturers have started to adopt it. It's impressive to see it being used in a phone as cheap as the Mi 5, though.

The display is perhaps the least remarkable part of the Mi 5, coming in at just 1080p, but the edge-to-edge design does look good, and it helps keep the phone's dimensions down. The display is nice and bright too, up to 600 nits, and Xiaomi's worked in some hardware trickery to dynamically adjust the contrast when the phone is used in bright sunlight, which makes makes dark parts of an image lighter without affecting lighter parts.

No doubt about it, the Mi 5 is an impressive phone. The build quality is excellent—I especially like the clicky feel of the home button/fingerprint reader—while the features Xiaomi has piled in for the price are remarkable. Granted, Xiaomi's MIUI 7 interface won't be everyone's cup of tea—it's very similar to Huawei's painful "Emotion" UI—and there's also the question of how good the company's long-term software support is. It does say that it has 750-strong team working on software, with updates coming in weekly, although without having had a Xiaomi phone to test in the past, we'll just have to take its word for it for now.

That also brings me neatly onto the biggest issue with the Mi 5. Despite unveiling the phone here at MWC, Xiaomi was surprisingly vague about whether phone would come to Europe or the US. It mentioned China, and then it mentioned India. Europe got a vague maybe, and as for those in US, well, it looks like you're out of luck. Xiaomi's direct sales model, which is similar to that of OnePlus, means it sells its phones directly from its website in limited numbers to customers at near-cost price, and right now, it simply doesn't offer an easy way for US buyers to pick up a phone.

But I suspect that'll change soon, if not with the Mi 5, then with its next flagship. This year's MWC was a chance for Xiaomi to test the waters, to see if people in the Western world might want to join the 70 million others who bought a Xiaomi device last year. I think they will, and I think they'll eventually ditch their Samungs and their LGs to do it. Nine out of ten most active Android users in China use a Xiaomi phone. Give it a few years, and I could see the same happening in the West too.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
More than 14 million bookings in China alone even before selling a single unit.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.cnet.com/products/xiaomi-mi-5/

Everything we know about the Xiaomi Mi 5

February 18, 2016 4:34 AM PST

xiaomi-mi-5-teaser-720x480.jpg

Xiaomi's latest flagship phone, the Mi 5, will make its official debut next Wednesday at Mobile World Congress 2016, and the rumor mill is churning out plenty of Mi 5 dish. Here's what I've heard so far, along with my best guesses about what the phone will bring.

Availability

I for one don't expect the phone to launch in the US, UK or Australia anytime soon. Though Xiaomi Global Vice President Hugo Barra is showing the phone in Barcelona (a few hours after another event in Beijing), the company is still very much focused on China, Southeast Asia, India and Brazil.

Having said that, this is Xiaomi's first ever MWC event, so it could surprise us by revealing European launch details.

Key details

• Full specs have yet to be revealed
  • Likely to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor
  • Likely to have a metal body
  • Will have a 16-megapixel rear camera

More or less certain is that the Mi 5 will pack Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 820 processor. That's based on a clever clue from Xiaomi's media invite -- the company set registration time at 8:20 a.m. The new processor promises to be blazing fast, based on video teasers from Xiaomi on Facebook.

[video=youtube;-M01W6_loPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M01W6_loPU[/video]

The phone will also likely be clad in metal. Xiaomi has been moving away from plastic bodies since the Redmi Note 3. The company has experimented with glass and matte plastic, but I don't expect that here.

The one certain thing about the phone (for now) is that it will sport a 16-megapixel camera. Barra posted image samples from the phone on the Xiaomi forums and his own Facebook account earlier this week. Check out the sample below.

release date in the video shows feb 24 yet 5 days later and not even a single one is being sold anywhere in the world.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Xiaomi is removing the microsd slot for their future models ? Xiaomi has a 7 inch tablet ? 7 inch is the best. 8 and 10 inch are too big for the hand to hold comfortably.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
release date in the video shows feb 24 yet 5 days later and not even a single one is being sold anywhere in the world.

Started taking orders yesterday, plus model with ceramic body still not available only glass body 64G

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Xiaomi is removing the microsd slot for their future models ? Xiaomi has a 7 inch tablet ? 7 inch is the best. 8 and 10 inch are too big for the hand to hold comfortably.

Agree. Plus 7" doubles up perfectly as an e-reader (current e-ink e-readers are 6", a little bit too small for my aging eyes).

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Xiaomi YeeLight for your bedside lamp

[video=youtube;fQtsx96lJvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQtsx96lJvk[/video]

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Xiaomi YeeLight for your bedside lamp

[video=youtube;fQtsx96lJvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQtsx96lJvk[/video]

Looks like bringing Patpong red light district to your home.

Did XiaoMi engineers get their inspiration there when they were having their retreats in Thailand?