• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Xiaomi Tops Chinese Smartphone Market

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
BREAKING!!!!! DEEPAVALI SALES

xiaomi-diwali-offer.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
http://www.forbes.com/sites/paullamkin/2015/11/07/xiaomi-takes-on-jawbone-and-fitbit-with-16-heart-rate-monitoring-fitness-band/

Nov 7, 2015 @ 07:37 AM 2,374 views

Xiaomi Takes On Jawbone And Fitbit With $16 Heart Rate Monitoring Fitness Band

Xiaomi, the world’s fourth largest smartphone manufacturer, has continued its wearable tech assault with the launch of the Mi Band 1S – a low cost fitness tracker that boasts optical heart rate monitoring technology.

The
Xiaomi Mi Band 1S has been made official by the Beijing-based company, with the photoelectric light perception tech – for tracking a wearer’s bpm – added to the original Mi Band for little cost; either economically or physically.

The original Mi Band went on sale outside of China earlier this year for a low $15 – the new 1S device is set to go on sale in its homeland next week for just 99 Yuan, roughly $16. The original’s price has been cut to just 69 Yuan ($11), although we’re yet to hear if the new device will go on sale in the Western world, or whether the original’s price-cut will be extended to global markets.

In terms of design, it’s pretty much the same deal as its predecessor; a module containing the sensors and hardware slips inside a replaceable rubber strap. The 1S weighs 0.5g more than the original at 13.5g, and there are slight increases to the dimensions. It measures in at 37 x 13.6 x 9.9mm.

The Mi Band 1S tracks a user’s steps and provides estimates on calories burned and distances covered. It also monitors sleep and provides incoming call alerts from a paired smartphone.

Adding the optical heart rate monitoring technology while keeping the price-tag under $16 is an incredible feat – and fires a warning to the likes of Jawbone and Fitbit.

Jawbone’s UP3 and Fitbit’s Charge HR, the two trackers from the fitness tracking brands that offer optical bpm recording, retail at $179.99 and $149.95 respectively.

And while there are several low-cost fitness trackers on the market already – the likes of the Misfit Flash, the Jawbone UP Move and the Fitbit Zip – none offer heart rate monitoring and none come in anywhere near as cheap as the Chinese contender.

A Canalys report, published this week, stated Fitbit is the wearable tech market leader but claimed that Xiaomi’s Mi Band surpassed 10 million cumulative shipments during Q3 2015.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
http://www.neowin.net/news/review-of-the-xiaomi-hybrid-earphones-xiaomi-have-done-it-again

1_dsc_0038_full.jpg

Review of the Xiaomi Hybrid Earphones: Xiaomi have done it again

By Steven Johns @stevenjohns · 14 hours ago

Xiaomi has generally received praise for their headphones and, over the last few years, have released four generations with each building on the last. Starting with the original pair that didn't get too much attention, through to the second generation which some considered to have been re-defining "Budget-Fi" by providing a lot of bang for very little buck. The Xiaomi Piston 2 was very V-shaped, however, meaning that the sound was very bassy and had a lot of highs at the cost of having very poor mids. Eventually Xiaomi released the Piston 3 IEMs last year -- headphones which I personally reviewed and found to have been much more balanced than the V-shaped Piston 2. For the price which they were being sold at - less than $20 - I found them extremely difficult to fault; they produced great sound at a great price.

Xiaomi seems to have now discontinued the Piston line and it's now being succeeded with their Hybrid line. After spending several hours listening to them in different environments, in different times of the day and to different types of music I feel I'm now able to put my thoughts on paper and formally review them.

Design
The cable design is extremely similar, if not roughly the same, as that of the Piston 3. Beginning with the gold-plated 3.5mm audio jack, we move towards the aluminum headphone jack cover. It has the same 'circular' etching and shape as the Piston 3, which I hope the photos will help explain better than I can in words. The cable itself is braided Kevlar which continues on through to the Y-splitter, at which point the cables are sleeved in silicon instead. The right cable has a microphone and headphone jack which has the same 'circular' design as the 3.5mm headphone jack cover - all very similar if not the same as the Piston 3 - with three buttons for volume and playback controls. It has a hole for the microphone on the back, which when worn positions itself to be the side which your mouth would be aimed at. Xiaomi also notes that the inner wiring of the microphone is braided with Kevlar, intending to fix what appears to have been a problem with build quality in the Xiaomi Piston 3.

I'm not really a big fan of the new design of the actual IEMs - they seem to have taken a lot of influence from 1More's Piston Pod, which was a design I generally didn't like. I can't explain the design as well as what the photos show, but I can mention that the obviously-metal parts are actually metal and the obviously-plastic parts are actually plastic.

[h=2]Performance[/h]Given the great performance of the Piston 3, I was expecting a lot from the fourth generation headphones that Xiaomi is releasing, and they really did deliver... with some caveats. The sound is not as well balanced as the Xiaomi Piston 3, and they've readopted a somewhat V-shaped sound stage as in earlier generations of the Piston. They're not completely V-shaped, with the mids not being too heavily blunted, but they are missing enough, such that people who listen to music with a lot of mids might miss them. I guess it's more of a (-shaped sound (yes, the parenthesis is intentional). It's still not a bad sound stage at all, though, and with the highs and lows being more pronounced they are also clearer and more diverse than the Piston 3. I can easily say I prefer this sound stage to that of the Xiaomi Piston 3, and this time it really has the sound stage you'd expect from a more expensive line of IEMs. I guess this is where the hybrid drivers really shined.

Speaking of which, the drivers are what Xiaomi are calling "Klippel drivers," which are hybrid dual-drivers made up of both an armature driver and a dynamic driver. The former is supposed to handle the highs and mids, and the latter is supposed to take care of the lows. This isn't the first time we've seen hybrid IEMs, but it is the first time they've been produced in this price range and were historically a mid-price IEM luxury. The speaker sensitivity in the Xiaomi Hybrid has increased to 101dB, whereas the Xiaomi Piston 3 capped out at 98dB.

Once again, though, the headphones lack iOS compatibility. Actually, that's not right. The headphones themselves work fine, but the remote has limited functionality on iOS, with only the play/pause button working. These are intended as a somewhat exclusive product for Android users and sort of gives Apple users the shaft.
[h=2]Sound leaking, noise isolation[/h]I haven't noticed any significant difference to the Piston 3 that I can't write off as placebo. They're certainly not anywhere near what you'd expect from active noise cancelation, but they are nevertheless closed-back IEMs and subsequently have pretty decent noise isolation and little-to-no sound leaking by design.
Much like the Xiaomi Piston 3, you can comfortably use them in the office or in a crowded subway without problems for either.
[h=2]Accessories[/h]The packaging in general was lackluster. It lacks the display and whatnot that came with the Piston 3, and the only thing it comes with are replacement tips in three sizes in a non-resealable bag. I'm really not too sure why Xiaomi went in this direction and it just feels all 'wrong', especially when considering the Piston 3 came with a jewel case and the entire thing just felt much more luxurious. I actually didn't notice the bag of replacement tips at first and thought it didn't come with any, but as writing this I noticed the small second box at the bottom of the packaging and found the pitiful bag inside there.
[h=2]Conclusion[/h]Xiaomi has done it again and produced a pair of IEMs that continue to destroy anything in, around and above the price range for a while. Xiaomi is selling them for 99 RMB within China, which is roughly USD$16. Much like the Piston 3, they're heads and shoulders above anything even remotely related to this price bracket. They're well-built, well-designed and sound pretty damn good too. The hybrid design of the IEM is certainly going to have some sort of impact in the industry, if not for any other reason than to challenge the current pricing structures.

I feel that these will takeover from the Piston 3's as being the best budget IEM on the market, and will continue to put pressure on mid-range IEM makers to up their game. They're worth every penny in this regard, but I will be taking off a full point for the lack of iOS compatibility this time around and reemphasizing my disappointment in the lack of a jewel case. That said, I look forward to what Xiaomi will be producing in the future, and will enjoy the next several months with the Xiaomi Hybrid Earphone.

The Xiaomi Hybrid Earphone will be released on the 11th of November, so just about four days from now, and if you live in a country with an official Xiaomi retailer you'll be able to pick them up for around USD$16. Otherwise you can pick them up from resellers for around $20 shipped, but be aware that the 'free' shipping method may take a few weeks. It's also worth mentioning that if you've held out on getting the Piston 3, resellers are already having sales in anticipation of the release of the Xiaomi Hybrid Earphone and the price is only going down.

1_dsc_0029_full.jpg

dsc_0023.jpg

dsc_0026.jpg

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Has anyone bought from online stores like gearbest, nis-store or geekbuying? They have the mi phones that I want but not sure if they are reliable.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Phones are to be used for a year or two and then throw away. So, why pay so much for a phone?

Cost is relative.
That said I am advocate for paying a bit more to get the best phone for oneself.
The smartphone has become a very important part of our lives. We're almost never without it 24/7. We store vital info in it. We bring it everywhere we go. It makes sense to get the best. You dun want to be penny wise and pound foolish and have a cheapo chink copy explode in your face or catch fire while charging and burn your house down.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cost is relative.
That said I am advocate for paying a bit more to get the best phone for oneself.
The smartphone has become a very important part of our lives. We're almost never without it 24/7. We store vital info in it. We bring it everywhere we go. It makes sense to get the best. You dun want to be penny wise and pound foolish and have a cheapo chink copy explode in your face or catch fire while charging and burn your house down.

Agree. That's why I buy the bestest chinkee phone ...the Apple of China :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got my Mi Note 2 Prime from Aliexpress ...damn, everything is in Chinese. Does anyone have an English manual? And it came with MIU 6 ...so I need to update it to MUI7. A bit of work before phone can be operational.

Dhalsim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got my Mi Note 2 Prime from Aliexpress ...damn, everything is in Chinese. Does anyone have an English manual? And it came with MIU 6 ...so I need to update it to MUI7. A bit of work before phone can be operational.

Unless u use Alipay, your transaction with Visa and Mastercard will be "rejected". I have never purchase from that site. I gave up when their Alipay account setup screw up.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No one uses a manual these days! It's all Android, the MiUI skin is quite intuitive, so just fiddle around and you'll get the hang of it. The Xiaomi forum is also very informative and supportive. You can get help with practically any issue you may have with your phone:

http://en.miui.com/forum.php

I bought my Mi4 from a HK vendor on Aliexpress - no problem at all.

BTW, when you buy from AliExpress, make sure you're getting the international version with English menus and FB and Twitter.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No one uses a manual these days! It's all Android, the MiUI skin is quite intuitive, so just fiddle around and you'll get the hang of it. The Xiaomi forum is also very informative and supportive. You can get help with practically any issue you may have with your phone:

http://en.miui.com/forum.php

I bought my Mi4 from a HK vendor on Aliexpress - no problem at all.

BTW, when you buy from AliExpress, make sure you're getting the international version with English menus and FB and Twitter.

Thanks. My Redmi Note 2 Prime has not been released internationally yet when I got it last week from an Aliexpress dealer. Surprisingly, it had Miui 7. Pretty impressed with an Ah Tiong phone.