• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Words And Music Blast From The Past: Old Rocks That Never Rot

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...Bee Gees deserve more than a mention in any popular music topic. ....oversold, overbought and overplayed between 1977 and 1979 that the Bee Gees never recovered from the disproportionate success and equally if not more disproportionate backlash of the early 80s.
Iconic, passing of an era. And as you say, no new direction unlike Lennon and Mcartney (even if splitsville). Personal tragedy also played a part

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As for staying power as group, got to hand it over to the Rolling Stones. From the mid 60s "second string" to the Beatles, through the 70s "greatest rock'n'roll band" till the 2000s "grandfathers of rock".

The Rolling Stones album Sticky Fingers seldom appear on any favorite list, but I think it's one of the best. Many people quote Brown Sugar but few quote its motherboard album Sticky Fingers (try amazon.com etc., because I think it's still banned in Singapore.) The other great Rolling Stones albums are of course Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, very frequently quoted by critiques as rock essentials.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
On great songstresses, what about Barbra Streisand and her classic Memories? Think former cantopop Leslie Cheung did a cover version too. Carole King's good, but kinda mono-tone.. not dissimiliar from her better half. And how can we forget Minnie Ripperton's high octane Loving You?

For female singers, i believe bro Ramseth, just like i may be, shd be more biased towards crooners like Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris or Joni Mitchell. For Ronstadt, just get her record titled 'Retrospective' and you ll cover most of her songs except for those she did when she freaked out temporarily and did a spanish and a big band album.

Btw, i think the Bee Gees where never short of talent for change. They began as a more than good pop group in the early seventies with hits like Marley Purt Drive, I started a Joke, To Love Somebody to name a few. A decade after that, they evolved and in fact spearheaded the 'Disco Fever' of the eighties. One of the great groups, in my humble opinion. Rest In Peace, Maurice Gibbs. :p

Last edited:

JWNY

Alfrescian
Loyal
Points to be given out...for those who can remember this song :smile:

1) "...Oh my sorrows...Sad tomorrows...Take me back to my own home..Oh my crying (Oh my crying)...Feel I'm dying, dying...Take me back to my own home..."

2) The group that sang this song :p

3) For guessing roughly how my age group :o....

JWNY

JWNY

Alfrescian
Loyal
you never close your eyes anymore when i kiss your lips....and there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips.... :wink:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Points to be given out...for those who can remember this song :smile:

1) "...Oh my sorrows...Sad tomorrows...Take me back to my own home..Oh my crying (Oh my crying)...Feel I'm dying, dying...Take me back to my own home..."

2) The group that sang this song :p

3) For guessing roughly how my age group :o....

JWNY

Take Me Back To Chicago...by the group Chicago of course.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anybody recall pop group Love Affair, big hit Bringing On Back the Good Times. Some1 did retro version few years back.

Hot Chocolate, Shocking Blue (their Venus redone by Banarama):biggrin: Too bad, not quite qualify here for lasting effect

Deviating a bit, I used to enjoy rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar (no offence to church).. spectrum of faith thru great music. Evonne Elliman with her stirring rendition of I just don't know how to love him:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you never close your eyes anymore when i kiss your lips....and there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips.... :wink:

You've Lost That Loving Feeling...now it's gone gone gone.. - Righteous Brothers

JWNY

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blue Cat is definitely my age! :wink:

will reward you and bro Ramseth 2 points each...after my soapy massage at Poseidon ok? Busy now :biggrin:

JWNY

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Blue Cat is definitely my age! will reward you and bro Ramseth 2 points each...after my soapy massage at Poseidon ok? Busy now
Nice lyrical teaser. But pls don't serenade too much at Pussydon ok. Yours is supposed to be the microphone piece, and sung to by puyings:p

JWNY

Alfrescian
Loyal
Twenty - five years and my life is still...Trying to get up that great big hill of hope...For a destination...And I realized quickly when I knew I should...That the world was made up of this brotherhood of man......?

ps: to YY, after i spray my cum on the whore's face...i'll be singing CCR's "Have you ever seen the rain?" :biggrin:

JWNY

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blue Cat is definitely my age! :wink:

will reward you and bro Ramseth 2 points each...after my soapy massage at Poseidon ok? Busy now :biggrin:

JWNY

enjoy yourself but come back in one piece else the Blues's thread will miss you.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi BlueCat, JWNY. Isn't that the 4-Non-Blondes song you quoted up there? Enjoy yrself with the non blondes where u are too hehe.

Bro YY, Jesus Christ Superstar is one of my favourites too. There's a version with Ian Gillan singing Jesus part.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal

1) "...Oh my sorrows...Sad tomorrows...Take me back to my own home..Oh my crying (Oh my crying)...Feel I'm dying, dying...Take me back to my own home...

Good choice for a popular teaser bro JWNY.

Anyone remember which song this few lines are from:

"The road is long. With many a winding turn.
That leads us to who knows where