• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why ST did not publish Dr Lee Wei Ling's column

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Plagiarism - looks like she has left the door wide open. Lets see what she comes back with and I am sure she would.

And she has....

Lee Wei Ling 4 hrs

"I read in today’s Straits Times, that my previous editor, Ivan Fernandez accused me of plagiarism with regards to how Chairman Mao and Churchill were commemorated on the anniversary of their death. I had not intended to write about my father’s death on 23/3/2016. What led to my comments in Facebook on 1/4/2016 was the article on the front page report of The Straits Times on Mar 21st. It carried a photo of an outline of Papa's face made with 4,877 erasers. I know Papa would be very upset by this sort of hero worship. I felt a sense of urgency to stop all acts of hagiography as I knew how unhappy they would cause Papa. To put things in context I wanted to recount how other countries honoured their leaders after death. China’s Chairman Mao and Britain’s Winston Churchill were the best examples to compare the founding prime minister of Singapore to. My then SPH editor, Ivan Fernandez’s first response to my draft which included commemoration for Mao and Churchill, “Not using this, Wei Ling. Sticking with the original edited version. Will use your suggestion for the visual (if space permits): shot of the video you mentioned. Bits about Mao and Churchill are going off on a tangent. Distracting and do not contribute enough to the point that you've already made. Best to objectively maintain the tightness of argument and not appear to be airing a pet peeve.” There were 5 subsequent emails with regards to this draft, never did Ivan bring up the issue of plagiarism. Given that my article was posted on Facebook on 1st April, and this is 9th April, I wonder whether the powers that be had instructed SPH to criticize me and accuse me of plagiarism. I am a doctor, and writing articles like these do not advance my curriculum vitae which depends on publication on medical issues. So I leave my readers to judge me fairly, whether I intentionally plagiarized or as a filial daughter I wanted to stop any attempts at hagiography at the first anniversary of my father’s death."

She also had these earlier in the week:

12961523_10156693229685459_7263489682231888892_n.jpg

Lee Wei Ling 6 April at 13:12 ·
"honour the spirit of what my father stood for"

Last edited:

rurouni

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know Papa would be very upset by this sort of hero worship. I felt a sense of urgency to stop all acts of hagiography as I knew how unhappy they would cause Papa.
From the true Christian point of view, LKY is either in Heaven or Hell since he died last year, therefore:

1. If LKY is resting in peace in Heaven forever, he cannot possibly be "very upset" or "unhappy", regardless of what happens on Earth:
kingjamesbibleonline.org/Revelation-21-4
(“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”)

2. If LKY is in Hell, he will be suffering forever because he failed to repent while he was still alive on Earth, again not because of whatever is happening now on Earth:
kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-25-41
(“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels”)

3. Hence, it is LWL who is "very upset" and "unhappy" because of her superstitious beliefs/habits.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like she was right about one thing -"they were too timid to tell her the's truth". Must applaud her on her take on interpretation of plagiarism, quite inventive. One of ST famous sons, became Group Editor of NST and got caught plagiarising American Author, Columnist and Journalist Mitch Albom and forced to resign.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Hsien Loong's thought bubble. "What would they do to me when they no longer fear the name of Lee?"

My advice to the Prime Minister is to put the name of Ho front and center. Works better if photo is attached. Nothing terrifies more then the lose of sexual desire permanently......LOL

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies are tuning into sbf to read my sister claire's columns and tuning out st on the inconsequential spat between plp's and the princess so much so that the drama spills onto fb. if the princess were to have one iota of the looks of claire (and sue, as pretty ones tend to hang around together) and the sordid sexual situations with the swine, the creative writing contest and garnering of viewers would have been different. it's online reality that few care two hoots about musings from a sexless ugly duckling when swans are swimming nearby.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, at least scroobal cares.

the tpx is stewing silly in his own lack of semen over sister's surge in viewership that he launched hawkeye his other exposed moniker to do a dastardly malicious piece on my sister. this tpx behaves like a jilted jealous jinx.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Hsien Loong's thought bubble. "What would they do to me when they no longer fear the name of Lee?"

My advice to the Prime Minister is to put the name of Ho front and center. Works better if photo is attached. Nothing terrifies more then the lose of sexual desire permanently......LOL

sinkies are tuning into sbf to read my sister claire's columns and tuning out st on the inconsequential spat between plp's and the princess so much so that the drama spills onto fb...... it's online reality that few care two hoots about musings from a sexless ugly duckling when swans are swimming nearby.
all three can belong to the ss club (she-long / schlong shrinkers) :eek:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like she was right about one thing -"they were too timid to tell her the's truth". Must applaud her on her take on interpretation of plagiarism, quite inventive. One of ST famous sons, became Group Editor of NST and got caught plagiarising American Author, Columnist and Journalist Mitch Albom and forced to resign.

State name of that group editor and which article of Mitch did he plagiarise from

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
all three can belong to the ss club (she-long / schlong shrinkers) :eek:

while chichi and chinchin stories remain in the courtyard for onani or diy choochoo, st spats with the scary pet princess will be promoted, or more correctly relegated in sbf parlance, to the political section where crickets chirp for dearth of iku ikus and kuchi kuchis.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
while chichi and chinchin stories remain in the courtyard for onani or diy choochoo, st spats with the scary pet princess will be promoted, or more correctly relegated in sbf parlance, to the political section where crickets chirp for dearth of iku ikus and kuchi kuchis.
hotdamn.....that's a lot of jambalaya and gobbledygumbo to digest, burp!

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Suppression of my views started soon after LKY died" ??? ... according to LWL

It should be that SPH will no more give undue reverence to your views soon after LKY died.

All the past decades of kowtowing to you ended soon after your "Godfather" died.

All the past decades of serving you and making coherence on behalf for you of your rumblings ended as well. You should rightly thank them you have published a book. It should be rightly authored by SPH Team on the rumblings of a Godfather's daughter.

You should have realised it but those past years of worship unto your rumblings have brought you to a delusionary belief of being sacroscanct.

In the Durai vs SPH incident, they sought the permission of Lim Kim San, an old guard with a reputation of independence before acting. Then it must be remembered they reacted after being threatened by another self-delusionary chap in Durai who similarly thought in the same manner like you.

Here, it is a nobody of Lee Boon Yang, and they just acted swiftly.

Grow up and stop hallucinating. Just know that the subservience of the past is no more. They are simply fed up. <Period>

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
It appears that LWL simply forgot to cite her sources and she did not claimed all the words were her original ,as many of us often quote others freely when writing informally.

As a medical doctor, she is neither writing a research/academic article for a medical journal or as a professional journalist.
I would hold her to different standards if she were to be writing in her professional capacity as a medical doctor for a medical publication-whereas here she is writing in her personal capacity as a daughter.

Just wondering whether they would have done the same if LKY is still around.

Any thesis writer should have known about plagiarism from the day you enter varsity. There is no excuse. She must have been doing for years and SPH has been very patient to clear and re-write her stuff unless she forgot what is plagiarism and she committed this sin "not knowingly". Now she blamed SPH for not telling her.

That explains to you how this system has been working.

To your pondering whether this will happen if LKY is around .... ever encounter such an incident when LKY is alive and well in charge of cirumstances in Singapore. Not that I recall ... this tells your about the system and also LKY would have intervened before it escalated.

Anyway, LWL herself said that she was one who dared to slam the door at LKY and recalled spats with her father which I guessed LKY got no reply nor knowing how to handle her. Guess with no LKY around, she is slamming the door on another party. That is just her character growing up as LKY's daughter and used to the deference of others.

She should be wise to just keep quiet and concentrate on her good work as a doctor.

Last edited:

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Plagiarism - looks like she has left the door wide open. Lets see what she comes back with and I am sure she would.

Bro Scro,

You have more confidence in her than I do. :p

With her latest reply which she had to reply, she sidestepped the issue of plagiarism and now blamed the editors for not telling her. It should be a blame for not telling her all these years. How they must have served her with such worship that she gets away with such delusions about herself and she plagiarised so much that she forgot what it is as there are parties who vetted and re-wrote her stuff for her.

The more she post the more she will look dumb, dumber and dumbest.

All the best to her. I expect her kind brother to help put an end to this silly saga soon but I guess his words get nowhere. Even LKY cannot control the raging free spirit in her, who can?

Last edited:

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
It appears that Sinkieland's "exceptional familee", a term coined by seat-warmer Woody Goh, is not so exceptional after all.

From Ivan Fernandez, Sinkies learn that Old Fart's daughter:

1. plagiarises extensively, about three-quarters of the contents of her contributions are copied from somewhere.

2. her English language skills are mediocre and needed to be reworked to meet the newspaper's standards.

3. her ideas are foggy.

4. she doesn't cross-check the facts that she quotes in her articles.

It makes us wonder how the Founding Daughter scored a distinction for her General Paper at her "A" levels. We're equally puzzled how Old Fart's daughter was awarded the President's Scholarship. Was the award based on merit or on familee's connections?

What about her two brothers: Chief Natural Aristocrat and Founding Second Son? Are their English language skills up to Cambridge's standards? Do they plagiarise? Are they able to articulate their ideas clearly and succinctly?