• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What Is Singapore Culture? (Serious discussion, no TCSS please)

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I am surprise that all these year of cultural integration between the different races, there is never a united event that Singaporeans can proudly call their own.

The event which united all Singaporeans involved a cup belonging to another country.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If there's a sport that binds all Sporeans together, then it has to be football..

With due respect to other sports, football unites the whole country regardless of race.. Everyone remembers the memorable days of the Malaysia Cup..Who can never forget the sea of massive Kallang crowd comprising of all races rooting our Lions..

Even now, crowd of all races will flock the neighbourhood kopitiams to watch the live Premier League games.. I was at a Tampines kopitiam last Monday to watch the live Man City- Man Utd game.. All Sinkies young and old, the Chinese, Malays and Indians were there to watch the game.. Didn't see any FT Ah Nehs, Pinoys.. With the exception of the Ah Tiong cleaners workin there, no other Ah Tiong was sighted at the kopitiam.. You won't see this kind of local unity in a silly sport like cricket.. Even our so called world class table tennis team will not be able to garner massive support among Sporeans..

Football is part of our culture.. It has been around since colonial days.. The FT Ah Nehs can play their stupid cricket game but we Sporeans will stick to our football..

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I think what Sam mentioned is very true. That is unfortunately the case. We are riding on the culture of other countries and has no distinctive event or culture that belonged to us. Maybe putting packets of tissue paper on hawker centre's table is the only uniquely Singapore past time :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Football and Malaysia Cup in particular. You can see all Singaporeans as a single nation. Swearing cursing, referee kayu, apok apok, bodoh and what have you. You can hear the Kallang and the HDB roar when a goal is scored. Wonderful days. And no PAP politican involved.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a good question which perhaps can tilt this argument that there is good evidence there is a Singapore Identity that binds us all.

Is there anyone here in this thread or even in this forum who calls himself an FT or a Singapore Citizen not born in Singapore? If there is none who will come forward to declare that he is an FT or that he was born on foreign soil and his parents are not Singaporeans, then I rest my case.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro, good to read this. Brings the soul of nationahood back.

If there's a sport that binds all Sporeans together, then it has to be football..

Even now, crowd of all races will flock the neighbourhood kopitiams to watch the live Premier League games.. I was at a Tampines kopitiam last Monday to watch the live Man City- Man Utd game.. All Sinkies young and old, the Chinese, Malays and Indians were there to watch the game.. Didn't see any FT Ah Nehs, Pinoys.. With the exception of the Ah Tiong cleaners workin there, no other Ah Tiong was sighted at the kopitiam.. You won't see this kind of local unity in a silly sport like cricket.. Even our so called world class table tennis team will not be able to garner massive support among Sporeans..

Football is part of our culture.. It has been around since colonial days.. The FT Ah Nehs can play their stupid cricket game but we Sporeans will stick to our football..

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
hehehe i country bumpkin la. Ya but as bro zeddy said...football is the uniting factor here whether EPL or Malaysia Cup. No other sport comes close.

I was part of the kallang crowd in the 70s...madness la.

Then we got kicked out and in the intervening years cable TV arrived and EPL became the new happening

the Malaysia Cup ah? :smile:

Lol, I think more like the English Premier League.

Last edited:

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
hehehe i country bumpkin la. Ya but as bro zeddy said...football is the uniting factor here whether EPL or Malaysia Cup. No other sport comes close.

I was part of the kallang crowd in the 70s...madness la.

Then we got kicked out and in the intervening years cable TV arrived and EPL became the new happening

In the '70's yes, it was the Malaysia Cup but that died when we were no longer participating. Singaporeans then turn to the Premier League and as years went by there were more televised matches which increased the number of fans greatly.

Now they are trying to reverse what was already lost and I doubt they will succeed. It was too little and too late.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ya...part of the 'culture' lost with the ejection from the competition and also the loss of our iconic venue.....the erstwhile National Stadium.

Any of you guys used the gym in the 70s?

In the '70's yes, it was the Malaysia Cup but that died when we were no longer participating. Singaporeans then turn to the Premier League and as years went by there were more televised matches which increased the number of fans greatly.

Now they are trying to reverse what was already lost and I doubt they will succeed. It was too little and too late.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Football and Malaysia Cup in particular. You can see all Singaporeans as a single nation. Swearing cursing, referee kayu , apok apok, bodoh and what have you. You can hear the Kallang and the HDB roar when a goal is scored. Wonderful days. And no PAP politican involved.

Thanks bro, good to read this. Brings the soul of nationahood back.

Yes our famous referee Kayu chant and other Malay curses during the game.. 60,000 strong all Sporean crowd shouting 'Kepala Butoh' in a patriotic fervor still rings clearly in my head..:biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The culture of Singapore is that it has no distinct culture AND that means Sinkees DO NOT LIKE foreigners to impose their cultures on Sinkees. Sinkees prefer to mind their own biz.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
i think Ho Peng Kee was lightly involved no?...behind the scenes sort of way.

Football and Malaysia Cup in particular. You can see all Singaporeans as a single nation. Swearing cursing, referee kayu, apok apok, bodoh and what have you. You can hear the Kallang and the HDB roar when a goal is scored. Wonderful days. And no PAP politican involved.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you were at tampines and do see any FTs ah nehs, pinoys, a the kopitiams, then you must be blind. Btw did your TPL cheer for your FT national football team?

....................... I was at a Tampines kopitiam last Monday to watch the live Man City- Man Utd game.. All Sinkies young and old, the Chinese, Malays and Indians were there to watch the game.. Didn't see any FT Ah Nehs, Pinoys.. ................

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you were at tampines and do see any FTs ah nehs, pinoys, a the kopitiams, then you must be blind. Btw did your TPL cheer for your FT national football team?

I'm a regular at that kopitiam.. Front part of the kopitiam where they put up the TVs screening live games, all were Sinkies watchin the game.. At the back of the kopitiam where there's no TV, few FT Ah Nehs were drinkin at a table there not interested in the live game but only interested in the beers.. I'm very familiar with that kopitiam since I used to stay in that neighbourhood for 18 years..

Don't know if TPL is a football fan.. But she can arrange a date with me to watch a live football game in a hotel if she's interested..I can teach her a few football moves and impart some '' tactical skills '' to her on a comfy hotel bed..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't know if TPL is a football fan.. But she can arrange a date with me to watch a live football game in a hotel if she's interested..I can teach her a few football moves and impart some '' tactical skills '' to her on a comfy hotel bed..
Hehehe. Enjoy watching futbol in SG kopitiam. Other than the official original English commentaries, you also got the non-official and Hokkien commentaries. Even better if the Kopitiam have Zhi Char stall to cook Sotong Kia or Har Jiong Gai to go with the beers. Cheers! :smile:

Used to watch EPL/La Liga at ABC Market Kopitiam. The bookies, pai kias, FTs (kopitiam Bangla cleaners) never bother me and I enjoyed my saturday night.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can I foget "Kepala Butoh". Now that is culture right there.

I noticed that hokkein expletives were not prominent except when we missed an open goal, then "Chee Bye" would be expressed as a matter of remorse and not for swearing.

By the way, it was the only public event that I know that you can buy "ganja" openingly below the stairway going up to the seats.

Yes our famous referee Kayu chant and other Malay curses during the game.. 60,000 strong all Sporean crowd shouting 'Kepala Butoh' in a patriotic fervor still rings clearly in my head..:biggrin:

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malaysia Cup meomories is all well and good but it applies mainly to old foggies. What about the younger generation who were not there to witness the matches? What Singaporean culture do they have?