• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What a fish !

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, I got add Tumeric powder but still not as crispy and crunchy as I wanted. Think NW is right, oil must be very very hot.

Important..did you drip the fishes dry in a fiLter 1st ?..cos the externaL moisture contents inside the fish wouLd sure to 'soften' the fLeshes if you just sLip them into the oiL..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I chope the fish cheeks

Hey, that is the best part ! You can only take left cheek or right cheek but not both.

Anyway, I can't wait for the WA lobster season to start. Waiting for the new recreational licensing to start. Probably the last time I will set out pots to catch lobsters.

Meanwhile, my stomach can only take wild caught U/6 grade prawns.

Spend a big more for the best. Too old to waste my stomach on farmed seafood (except farmed abalone) :smile: Doctor warned about my cholesterol level. :(

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Important..did you drip the fishes dry in a fiLter 1st ?..cos the externaL moisture contents inside the fish wouLd sure to 'soften' the fLeshes if you just sLip them into the oiL..
Hehehe. This part not so sure. Can elaborate a bit? :smile:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hey, that is the best part ! You can only take left cheek or right cheek but not both.

Anyway, I can't wait for the WA lobster season to start. Waiting for the new recreational licensing to start. Probably the last time I will set out pots to catch lobsters.

Spend a big more for the best. Too old to waste my stomach on farmed seafood (except farmed abalone) :smile: Doctor warned about my cholesterol level. :(

TeLL me bro neddy, do you mean farmed seafoods are high in choLestroLs ?...:eek:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TeLL me bro neddy, do you mean farmed seafoods are high in choLestroLs ?...:eek:

I do not mean farmed seafood is high in cholesterol, what I meant is that I want to be more selective to eat the best.

Due to their compact living situations and feed, farmed seafood tend to have more diseases, toxins, artificial dyes (eg to make the farmed salmon flesh pink/orange like their wild cousins), pcb , antibiotics and contain more fat. Also, we do not know what chemicals are in the fish feed.

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I do not mean farmed seafood is high in cholesterol, what I meant is that I want to be more selective to eat the best.

Due to their compact living situations and feed, farmed seafood tend to have more diseases, toxins, artificial dyes (eg to make the farmed salmon flesh pink/orange like their wild cousins), pcb , antibiotics and contain more fat. Also, we do not know what chemicals are in the fish feed.

Thanks for the great insight..which is why at times i wonder why do farmed saLmons cost onLy 1/3 of their reaL
cousins..and the taste is totaLLy off ! ! :cool:

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I get my regular supply of fish from Sydney Fish Market.

Right now I've got about a thousand Dollars worth of fillet of John Dory & NZ Golden Snappers and NZ Flounders in my freezer.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Right now I've got about a thousand Dollars worth of fillet of John Dory & NZ Golden Snappers and NZ Flounders in my freezer.
Bro, is there any reason that you shouLd be storing so much worth's of fiLLets ?..i mean when you can buy them
as and when..

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
WouLdn't the quaLity turns ?..or perhaps you are Living at some far fLung pLaces off track..

bugeyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah so many avid anglers here..

Changi car park 6 is also a good spot for sting rays.. Many expert surf casters over there, mostly Malay uncles with their long rods.. Had seen many them landing sting rays weighing 10kg and above.. Another famous good spot back then was the Changi Hyundai area.. Must be like a commando and enter the thick forested area before you can see the beach.. Many garoupas, Red emperors over there..

Latest spot is marina south pier area. tutu-train every week :smile:

bugeyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, this is what we got using net casting, of course it's through Ah Yeo's effort..

milkfish.jpg

i know it's caLLed Or-her in diaLect, or MiLkfish in engLish ?..nice size, about 800gms each..:wink:

The long ones are called mullet :biggrin:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro zeddy, i was very much into fishing, at one point, very near to putting down deposit for a cuddy cabin and one of those small boats with an outboard motor. Still remembered the good old days when i will drive to all corners in SG delivering fresh fish to surprised friends/neighbours/relatives. Had some good catch in the past and when the East Coash lagoon fishing place was still good. Never caught more than 10 at the one in Pasir Ris. Best is out at sea though IMHO or near Pulau Ubin. Seldom go out fishing these days, all rods and reels rusting.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal

use peanut oil like knife brand, they have a higher burning point which means you can get that crisp texture.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro zeddy, i was very much into fishing, at one point, very near to putting down deposit for a cuddy cabin and one of those small boats with an outboard motor. Still remembered the good old days when i will drive to all corners in SG delivering fresh fish to surprised friends/neighbours/relatives. Had some good catch in the past and when the East Coash lagoon fishing place was still good. Never caught more than 10 at the one in Pasir Ris. Best is out at sea though IMHO or near Pulau Ubin. Seldom go out fishing these days, all rods and reels rusting.

Bro Wuqi, Pulau Ubin is also a good spot.. Used to go to Kampong Nordin village with my buddies for a nite of fishing.. It was a good spot then with hardly any people fishing there.. Then the fun ended when the authorities installed fencings to deter the illegal immigrants..

Agree with you.. Used to hire this boatman at Changi Point and went for nite fishing trips in the Changi waters.. Good big fishes are still there in the Changi waters.. Just a matter of being patience when fishing..:smile:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good memories of this market. Circa '86 I used to go there almost every Sunday morning for the special offer. Most Sundays they will have a whole giant tuna on ice. Any part of the fish at one price, of course we always go for the toro. Sundays are always a sashimi day for the group of friends I had. We would also get a couple of kgs of the Sydney black mussels, just steam for 3 minutes with some stalks of lemongrass.

A friend, a Vietnamese who owned a fish shop in Marrickville would bring along some conches. Very savoury, better than even abalones, these are quite rare and whenever it's available he would buy it at the auction but it would be for our fish Sundays. His sister, a looker, would prepare the Vietnamese springrolls.

A couple of cases of Castlereigh XXXX and we are all good to go.

Miss those days.

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Courtesy of this Aunty, when i requested to take a pot shot of her with her catch:

aunty.jpg

Nothing beats the eLation of getting your own's catch; whether it's BIG or small..:wink: