• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wah, SAF so lelac now. Tankees no need to wash tanks anymore, contractors will do it.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: Wah, SAF so lelac now. Tankees no need to wash tanks anymore, contractors will do

At this rate, the SAF will hire contractors to help NSmen clean their rifles after each outfield training. NSmen are wimps. They cannot be relied upon in a war. You are better off working as a translator for the enemy.

The SAF should save their money with all this contracting out and instead contract out for a mobile brothel like the German army has. when they move out to the field, the brothel rolls with them. Good morale booster for the men to know they can chiong out in the field.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: Wah, SAF so lelac now. Tankees no need to wash tanks anymore, contractors will do

haha u are from my era ,CEV AND AVLB.

no longer in use

Really? I thought the AVLB was still in use. Its bridge is the only one that can be used by the Leo2.

beegs

Alfrescian
Loyal

Really? I thought the AVLB was still in use. Its bridge is the only one that can be used by the Leo2.
used by combat engineers not armour.it American M60

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the 38 sce is re-invoked in 2009. the m728 cev is still in use. the avlb based on m60a1 chassis has been replaced with the leo 2 launched bridge. sungei gedong camp is still there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

pic taken by tourist of the leo 2 avlb with marina bay gardens in the background.

image.jpg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

All combat engineers bridges are used by other formation, that is the whole purpose of combat engineers. Therefore, the different AVLBs in the orbat of the combat engineers have different weight classification. For example VLB based on the AMX-13 is classed for a certain weight group, as is the AVLB based on the Bionix. Both of them cannot take a Leo 2 at 62 tonnes. Only the M60 Based AVLB can handle it. Hence, its projected customer is the Leo 2 tank.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

the 38 sce is re-invoked in 2009. the m728 cev is still in use. the avlb based on m60a1 chassis has been replaced with the leo 2 launched bridge. sungei gedong camp is still there.

View attachment 18747

View attachment 18748

So, they bought the Leguan for the Combat Engineers. That would make sense as the chassis is in common with the Leo 2.

master

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good news for our sons. Cheers!!!!!!!!!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So, they bought the Leguan for the Combat Engineers. That would make sense as the chassis is in common with the Leo 2.

the leo 2 lb is a good buy, imo. the avlb on the m60a1 chassis is getting too old and difficult to maintain. moreover, i think the leo 2 lb has a longer span when the bridge is fully launched. and it's fully compatible with the leo 2 mbt. the m728 (also on m60a1 chassis) is extremely battle-tested and still quite indispensable as it's an excellent cev for decades. nothing so far comes close to its combination of bulldozer, demolition gun, and retractable boom. in all gulf wars, it proved to be very valuable. the u.s. army is still using it, a testament to its enduring design, usefulness and reliability. the leo cev or what looks like a combat engineer version is not as versatile.

in south east asian terrain, imo, it would be better for all mbt's to be equipped with a bulldozer blade in front. there'll be so much destruction, debris, fallen trees, foliage, soil and m&d that it's more conducive and expedient for the lead tank to bulldoze its way than wait for cev's to arrive the clear the way. just a thought.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

the leo 2 lb is a good buy, imo. the avlb on the m60a1 chassis is getting too old and difficult to maintain. moreover, i think the leo 2 lb has a longer span when the bridge is fully launched. and it's fully compatible with the leo 2 mbt. the m728 (also on m60a1 chassis) is extremely battle-tested and still quite indispensable as it's an excellent cev for decades. nothing so far comes close to its combination of bulldozer, demolition gun, and retractable boom. in all gulf wars, it proved to be very valuable. the u.s. army is still using it, a testament to its enduring design, usefulness and reliability. the leo cev or what looks like a combat engineer version is not as versatile.

in south east asian terrain, imo, it would be better for all mbt's to be equipped with a bulldozer blade in front. there'll be so much destruction, debris, fallen trees, foliage, soil and m&d that it's more conducive and expedient for the lead tank to bulldoze its way than wait for cev's to arrive the clear the way. just a thought.

Dozer Blades on a tank is another problem all together. It opens a can of worms. The wear and tear on the engine and transmission caused by the constant push of the blade against heavy object will mean a lower mean time between failure for the powertrain. Normally for tanks that size, they just drive thru or over the debris, even a 3 storey shop house demolished into the street poses no problem for tracked vehicles to drive over. The preponderance of various types of bridging equipment in the SAF (track and wheeled, armoured and unarmoured) speaks to the battle philosophy of the SAF. The use of the SAF under their current battle doctrine is not consistent with the avaialble talent at the top level to execute such a doctrine.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dozer Blades on a tank is another problem all together. It opens a can of worms. The wear and tear on the engine and transmission caused by the constant push of the blade against heavy object will mean a lower mean time between failure for the powertrain. Normally for tanks that size, they just drive thru or over the debris, even a 3 storey shop house demolished into the street poses no problem for tracked vehicles to drive over. The preponderance of various types of bridging equipment in the SAF (track and wheeled, armoured and unarmoured) speaks to the battle philosophy of the SAF. The use of the SAF under their current battle doctrine is not consistent with the avaialble talent at the top level to execute such a doctrine.

there's another tank variant for mine clearing. the abrams has a version. actually, i spoke too highly of the m728. the m728 cev could not catch up with m1a1 formations in the 1st gulf war due to its m60a1 chassis and old power train, and they were left behind. the m1a1 just rolled along without cev support. yet they buried much iraqi infantry units alive in their trenches. some abrams were equipped with dozer blades. this episode in the gulf led me to think about dozer blades for mbt's. but you're right, it will cause more wear and tear on the power train. for the saf, they should stick to one type of avlb, a leo 2 version that can handle all other armored vehicles, rather than a plethora of bridging vehicles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

there's another tank variant for mine clearing. the abrams has a version. actually, i spoke too highly of the m728. the m728 cev could not catch up with m1a1 formations in the 1st gulf war due to its m60a1 chassis and old power train, and they were left behind. the m1a1 just rolled along without cev support. yet they buried much iraqi infantry units alive in their trenches. some abrams were equipped with dozer blades. this episode in the gulf led me to think about dozer blades for mbt's. but you're right, it will cause more wear and tear on the power train. for the saf, they should stick to one type of avlb, a leo 2 version that can handle all other armored vehicles, rather than a plethora of bridging vehicles.

View attachment 18750

View attachment 18751

If you are talking about mine clearing, then that's a new topic entirely. The SAF has the Trailblazers for that. There is no need to fit dozer blades to Leo 2s if your plan is to use them as mine clearers. SAF doctrine should be to use the Trailblazers.