• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

vote your favorite to represent national favorite food

vote your favorite to represent national favorite food

• Total voters

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. chicken rice
2. char kuay teow
3. laksa
4. bak chor mee/fishball noodle/prawn noodle or hay mee
5. nasi lemak
6. mee goreng/indian rojak/nasi bryani
7. wantan mee
8. nasi padang
9. indian fish-head curry and other curries
10. roti prata
11. satay
12. bak kut teh
13. chilli crab
14. poh piah
13. others not listed (pls add ur own personal local favorite)

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the best chicken rice i ve tried had already closed shop. my li'l brother leetahsar brought me there which was located at the corner of jln rama rama and the main balestier rd. the shop looked rundown but hell! the hainanese chicken rice was as authentic as it could be. PENG KEE was the name of the chicken rice stall. the elderly couple manning the stall served a very wholesome chicken soup with cubes of tofu. if they liked u, they threw in the chicken feet as compliment into the soup. their home-made chilli served separately with ginger paste free flow was a die-die-must-try!

now it is gone :(

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
others - Rojak

cos sgp is a multi racial (rojak) country....... :biggrin:

there are actually 3 kinds of rojak: chinese, malay and indian. if we include the ang mo rojak which is high-classy named SALAD, then there would be 4 kinds.

chinese rojak uses tau pok or the dried fried beancurd. the malay uses tau kwa which is plain fried beancurd. the indian rojak is actually mostly a range of deep-fried doughs with different condiments added and eaten with sliced green chillies, onions dipped and cucumbers, sometimes with added lettuce, into a sweetened chilli gravy. the main dressing for both the chinese and malay is hay kor or fermented prawn paste.

rojak could be symbolic to represent sngapore - everything mix in to end up with a very delectable appetiser. even our layman language singlish is actually rojak.

Last edited:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
ipoh hor fun

there are 2 particular stalls that i like. one is at honglim market hawker stall where their hor fun comes with crayfish. the price now is quite steep at $6 a plate. the other would be at mei chin hawker centre where my li'l brother leetahsar lives. theirs come in a few version: shredded chicken, braised chicken feet or braised duck drumstick. all their prices have been increased after mei chin was upgraded. it's now minimum $3 a plate. the stall operates only fr wed onwards to sunday. be prepared for long queue especially on sunday.

there's another one which was located along river valley corner kopitiam which has since been taken over. anyone has any idea where that ipoh hor fun is re-located to?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Tulang should be it........
Its the only dish invented in singapore.
All the others like prawn noodle, wanton, bak ku teh all can find in some form or other in neighbouring countries.....

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Tulang should be it........
Its the only dish invented in singapore.
All the others like prawn noodle, wanton, bak ku teh all can find in some form or other in neighbouring countries.....

tulang - bone marrow cooked in indian tomato paste gravy. is it the one u refering to?

the best ( and most expensively sold) is located at jln besar hawker centre.

there's another famous one in little india. but no fuss, u can try out the many indian stalls at west coast hawker centre. eating this dish needs a bit of skill. u need to slam the marrow out of the leg bone. could be quite a task and racket.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tulang - bone marrow cooked in indian tomato paste gravy. is it the one u refering to?

the best ( and most expensively sold) is located at jln besar hawker centre.

there's another famous one in little india. but no fuss, u can try out the many indian stalls at west coast hawker centre. eating this dish needs a bit of skill. u need to slam the marrow out of the leg bone. could be quite a task and racket.
yes. This is one of the few dish that actually created here. By a stall in golden mile hawker center

Another one locally created is chinese Yu Sheng during CNY but that only chinese eat so cannot be national dish.

Ba Kwa i think is created here as well, its not native in places like Hk and China

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes. This is one of the few dish that actually created here. By a stall in golden mile hawker center

Another one locally created is chinese Yu Sheng during CNY but that only chinese eat so cannot be national dish.

Ba Kwa i think is created here as well, its not native in places like Hk and China

Nah Bakkwa was not created here. You can find it in China and HK although it's not as culturally significant for them as it was for us.

Original SG dishes should be:
Fish Head Curry(Indians back in India don't eat Fish Head)
Chilli Crab
Pepper Crab
CNY Yu Sheng
Tulang
Cereal Prawn

May have originated from either MY or SG
Roti Prata(may be challenged by MY's Roti Canai again the dish is not available in India)
Katong Laksa(MY's Laksa dishes are nowhere similar to ours)
BBQ Stingray(again not sure if SG or MY creation)

List is obviously not 100% accurate but should be close. Aside from Fish Head Curry, Chilli Crab, Pepper Crab and CNY Yu Sheng which are pretty well documented, most of our other local favorites can also be contested by MY as country of origin

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's rather difficult to distinct origins between Singapore and Malaysia; many dishes have ambiguous and arguable origins. Throughout history, Singapore was part of Straits Settlement (with Malacca and Penang), autonomous Crown Colony, part of Malaysian Federation, then indepedent. There've been many overlapses.

If we want to talk about iconic national dishes, I'd go for popular dishes that can have both Muslim and non-Muslim versions. The Muslims would frown at any so-called national dish with pork at a must-have ingredient. Personally, I'm no big fan of nasi lemak but in this context, nasi lemak is most representative.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I feel Laksa is Singapore most unique food, cant find anywhere similliar in the world, MY maybe, but taste more like curry mee.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best hainanese chicken rice stall tat I frequently visit is situated at north bridge rd! Just a sml air-con eating place with the 60's setting! The hainanese boss is old but still full of vigor n most of the waiting stuff are hainanese aunties. Dun 4get the hainanese steamboat which goes along well with the authentic hainanese chicken rice!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's rather difficult to distinct origins between Singapore and Malaysia; many dishes have ambiguous and arguable origins. Throughout history, Singapore was part of Straits Settlement (with Malacca and Penang), autonomous Crown Colony, part of Malaysian Federation, then indepedent. There've been many overlapses.

If we want to talk about iconic national dishes, I'd go for popular dishes that can have both Muslim and non-Muslim versions. The Muslims would frown at any so-called national dish with pork at a must-have ingredient. Personally, I'm no big fan of nasi lemak but in this context, nasi lemak is most representative.

U name Nasi Lemak as national dish, Matland will flame us till no tomorrow. I think the most "politically correct" national dish should be Chilli Crab or Pepper Crab. It's more a fusion/cross cultural dish which all races can enjoy and 100% invented in SG

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
U name Nasi Lemak as national dish, Matland will flame us till no tomorrow. I think the most "politically correct" national dish should be Chilli Crab or Pepper Crab. It's more a fusion/cross cultural dish which all races can enjoy and 100% invented in SG

You've got a point. Nasi lemak is also an iconic dish in Malaysia. However, crab as another has pointed out in an earlier posting, is quite a luxury dish, not an everyday common dish. Anyway, Singapore retained Malay as national language (a ceremonially higher status than official languages English, Chinese and Tamil) and Malaysia has no problem with it. Their problem is who invented nasi lemak, not who wants to name it as national dish.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
images

penang-char-kuey-teow.jpg

laksa24706_wideweb__470x317,0.jpg

sengkee_01.jpg

nasi%20lemak.jpg

mee+goreng.jpg

3156502808_417d296f48.jpg

images

signature-dish-fish-head-302x300.jpg