• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

vote your favorite to represent national favorite food

vote your favorite to represent national favorite food

• Total voters

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the original nasi lemak was a very simple food consisting of coconut milk infused rice, 1 or 2 slices of cucumber, some chilli paste and a small fried kuning fish or some ikan bilis or a small piece of fried scrambled egg - all wrapped up in a banana leaf which used to sell for only 10c a packet in the good o'days.

now nasi lemak is complicated into additon of fried chicken wings, otak, fishballs, cabbages and etc.

there was a nasi lemak stall at redhill hawker centre near redhill mrt which used to sell nasi lemak with the standard condiments at $2. the rice alone was good enough to eat on its own which was very fluffy with his unique chilli paste with fried ikan bilis. according to the hawker, he added gassy soda water into his rice and at different stages while the rice was cooked add in different concentration of freshly squeezed coconut milk.

unfortunately after upgrading, that stall was no where to be found :(

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the new version of nasi lemak is sold under the brand CHONG PANG and sells for $1 a packet in most markets.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You've got a point. Nasi lemak is also an iconic dish in Malaysia. However, crab as another has pointed out in an earlier posting, is quite a luxury dish, not an everyday common dish. Anyway, Singapore retained Malay as national language (a ceremonially higher status than official languages English, Chinese and Tamil) and Malaysia has no problem with it. Their problem is who invented nasi lemak, not who wants to name it as national dish.

Nah I dun think it has to be a common every day dish. Wikipedia has a good definition of this

A dish can become a national dish for a variety of reasons. It can be the national dish because it is a staple daily food for the majority of the population. It can also be the national dish because it represents the regions and ethnicities of the whole country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_dish

Chilli Crab epitomize SG.

1)Created by SG
2)A Cross Culture Dish, a fusion of chinese cooking methods with the different local spices
3)Pro-FT coz use FT crab(mostly use Sri Lankan Crab)

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chilli Crab epitomize SG.

1)Created by SG
2)A Cross Culture Dish, a fusion of chinese cooking methods with the different local spices
3)Pro-FT coz use FT crab(mostly use Sri Lankan Crab)

I love black pepper crab more than chilli crab but acknowledge that chilli crab is far more original and popular in Singapore. Anyway, I certainly love crab more than nasi lemak in whatever style. But I'll still stick with the common, popular and affordable criteria. Wikipedia is not my Parliament or Court, just a reference. :rolleyes:

There's no point being a national dish when half the nation or so can't afford or never tasted it on a regular basis. However, I do respect your opinion and love for chilli crab. :cool:

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chilli Crab not that expensive leh. U guys make it sound like it's Caviar or something. Most pple eat once a week at Kopitiam no problem one leh.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my vote ...... tau suah ...... preferably from the dessert stall at seah street ..... 30 to 40 years ago binya ....:smile::biggrin:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chilli Crab not that expensive leh. U guys make it sound like it's Caviar or something. Most pple eat once a week at Kopitiam no problem one leh.

Your most people sound like version 2 upgrade of TKL many people LOL
Your once a week sound like version 3 upgrade of KBW affordable LOL LOL

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actuarry hor, me select based on how common it is ... how 2 c how common it is is how often u can find in a hartland kopitiam/hawker centre/fudcot ...

1 glaring missing olption here is mixed veg rice ... u can find it in all (wel, shud b almost all) kopitiam/hawker centre/fudcot ... zi char stall oso la ... but shud consider oni individual zi char stall items ... eg. fried lice ...

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
vote your favorite to represent national favorite food - Mee Siam mai hum

Got Song Got Talk :p

Follow the LEEder , you will not be wrong :wink:

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DbG5loPfLMo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actuarry hor, me select based on how common it is ... how 2 c how common it is is how often u can find in a hartland kopitiam/hawker centre/fudcot ...

1 glaring missing olption here is mixed veg rice ... u can find it in all (wel, shud b almost all) kopitiam/hawker centre/fudcot ... zi char stall oso la ... but shud consider oni individual zi char stall items ... eg. fried lice ...

If going by common-ness factor then the fried beehoon/mee with luncheon meat, chicken wing, oath etc should also be in. Also the morning kaya toast with half boiled eggs.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's rather difficult to distinct origins between Singapore and Malaysia

Actually, I've yet to find the same for mee rubus sg style in malaysia also indonesia but to no avail.

the most memorable mee rebus i had was in a m'sia village many years back. (can't remember the way there any more). it was served with a very shiok gravy which i was told were made fr smashed sweet potato base. mixed with the gravy were some crunchy free dough (i think that what it was). the mee was topped with chinese parsley, fried onions, tau kwa, an egg, lots of sliced green chillies and then a generous spread of tiny fried shrimps. the last condiment made all the difference!!

for a few dollars more, u could ask for sliced beef and slice beef stomachs.

where to find that anywhere now? rare!!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
nathan is having MEE SIAM - mai hum, of course - for his last meal in istana 2day

gosh!! wonder it's a reminder that fr pinky's mai hum to do that one last time b4 he goes into oblivion.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: nathan is having MEE SIAM - mai hum, of course - for his last meal in istana 2da

kueh tu tu - another uncommon food of the past. 2 kinds of fillings: peanut, coconut.

bun jian kueh - a thicker version of crepe or a crispier thin type. original fillings were peanut or coconut. now got tau sar (red bean paste), kaya, cheese and etc.

the best one with the usual long queue i had tried were fr the old airport hawker centre b4 upgrading. it was selling at 50c a pc. after upgrading, the stall closed shop :(

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: nathan is having MEE SIAM - mai hum, of course - for his last meal in istana 2da

fishball noodle has a very humble beginning. it was known as the toc-toc mee. a hawker assistant would walk through the kampong making a racket with his bamboo toc-toc and taking order.

don't u miss those pushcart hawkers, the authentic ones?