• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Our Sinkie Food Heritage!

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Guess this is the top of our list almost everyday- what to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

But ever wondered what can we truly call our own and claim it’s unique to our Sinkie culture?

I gave it a good thought and decided to give it a shot, and gave some two simple categories, e.g. all day, all night, and list every dish that we eat.

All day:
apam balik, assorted buns, bak chor mee, beehoon (economic), beehoon (vegeterian), chapati, char kway tiao, chicken rice, chwee kueh, congee, dimsum, hokkien fried prawn mee, kaya toast, laksa, lontong, mee goreng, mee siam, naan, nasi briyani, nasi goreng, nasi kandar, nasi lemak, orh luak, peranakan dishes (assorted), prata (assorted), prawn mee, wanton mee, you tiao...

All night:
crab (black pepper), crab (chilli), dimsum, fish head curry, frog porridge, peranakan dishes (assorted), prata (assorted), TzeChar (assorted dishes)...

At the end of it all, I think other than dishes unique to our region which are invented by our forefathers, e.g. our peranakan dishes and hokkien fried prawn noodles, it’s hard to say other dishes are uniquely Sinkiestan as we have imported the food culture from so many places from so long ago.

So where do we go from here?

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guess this is the top of our list almost everyday- what to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

But ever wondered what can we truly call our own and claim it’s unique to our Sinkie culture?

I gave it a good thought and decided to give it a shot, and gave some two simple categories, e.g. all day, all night, and list every dish that we eat.

All day:
apam balik, assorted buns, bak chor mee, beehoon (economic), beehoon (vegeterian), chapati, char kway tiao, chicken rice, chwee kueh, congee, dimsum, hokkien fried prawn mee, kaya toast, laksa, lontong, mee goreng, mee siam, naan, nasi briyani, nasi goreng, nasi kandar, nasi lemak, orh luak, peranakan dishes (assorted), prata (assorted), prawn mee, wanton mee, you tiao...

All night:
crab (black pepper), crab (chilli), dimsum, fish head curry, frog porridge, peranakan dishes (assorted), prata (assorted), TzeChar (assorted dishes)...

At the end of it all, I think other than dishes unique to our region which are invented by our forefathers, e.g. our peranakan dishes and hokkien fried prawn noodles, it’s hard to say other dishes are uniquely Sinkiestan as we have imported the food culture from so many places from so long ago.

So where do we go from here?

for chinks food is on the top criteria of life but not for other races

perhaps , for 99.99% of Sinkie chinks had this DNA memory of only food as their only wages on arrival here

yes , many races do love their food , but not like the way Sinkie chinks adore

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are different sub cultures, BBQ and smoked brisket for the AngMohs, a decent pizza without pineapples for the purists, and the list goes on.
Do Sinkies have a culture mah ? Other than seeking the best this and best that to eat ?

in most countries , even right here in SEA , or Malusia for that matter , they do have excellent variant of their own food but food is not the topic for discussion most of the time but in Sinkieland any topic or discussion invariably gets into the topic of food

and talking about originality of food , me think there is nothing pretty much Sinkie , most of our Sinkie food are simply apeing others which fits our taste buds

whereas the variant and the varieties of food fare in some of our neighbours are quite astounding ...I would think of Indonesia and Thailand here

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hence I mooted this notion of a “Sinkie Food Heritage”, to thoroughly deconstruct our food scene and examine it methodically, to see if there’s something we can truly call our own.
You are right on that score but many folks here would think we actually have such thing as originally Sinkie food

because our history itself does not go far beyond Raffles , and most of the chinks arrival here centred more in peninsular Malaya

The bulk of first migrants to Sinkieland was from Malacca , so chinks can pretty much trace their food culture to malacca

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
You are right on that score but many folks here would think we actually have such thing as originally Sinkie food

because our history itself does not go far beyond Raffles , and most of the chinks arrival here centred more in peninsular Malaya

The bulk of first migrants to Sinkieland was from Malacca , so chinks can pretty much trace their food culture to malacca

Off the cuff, black pepper and chilli crab seemed to have truly originated here in Sinkiestan, the same can be said for hokkien prawn mee aka Rochor mee.

But the mixing of cultures across both sides of the causeway was so frequent, our Sinkiestan food heritage is actually a very small sub-set of the Indo-Malayan food heritage.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Off the cuff, black pepper and chilli crab seemed to have truly originated here in Sinkiestan, the same can be said for hokkien prawn mee aka Rochor mee.

But the mixing of cultures across both sides of the causeway was so frequent, our Sinkiestan food heritage is actually a very small sub-set of the Indo-Malayan food heritage.
I am not so sure about Hokkien mee , could be wanting to copy mamak mee for chinese taste or simply adapting mamak mee chinese style

FYI , no such thing as mee goreng existing in the entire India , thus originally originated here where mamak found a way to use chinese fresh mee with their sambal ...and such sambal also does not exist in the entire India as well

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I am not so sure about Hokkien mee , could be wanting to copy mamak mee for chinese taste or simply adapting mamak mee chinese style

FYI , no such thing as mee goreng existing in the entire India , thus originally originated here where mamak found a way to use chinese fresh mee with their sambal ...and such sambal also does not exist in the entire India as well

mamak mee goreng with that distinct red colouring seemed to be a good contender for locally invented food! I think we can extend it to Tulang Merah too!

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
mamak mee goreng with that distinct red colouring seemed to be a good contender for locally invented food! I think we can extend it to Tulang Merah too!
Come on pal , you are pretty much in my age group

mamak mee was never in red colour during our time ...when we use to bring our own egg since egg was a luxury

the red colouring is a recent addition which I hate , I still will go for the original style of natural colouring ..shit ! Even the mee itself do have some colouring , after all the wheat itself is pretty brown and not yellow

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
the red colouring is a recent addition which I hate , I still will go for the original style of natural colouring ..shit ! Even the mee itself do have some colouring , after all the wheat itself is pretty brown and not yellow

if my memory serves me right, the red food colouring came into being and became popular around the early/mid 80s.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
if my memory serves me right, the red food colouring came into being and became popular around the early/mid 80s.
You could be right there

but my entire 80s were overseas in godfotsaken lands far far away so I really donch noe