• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The problem with democracy in Singapore

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have extensive political discussions with my own friends and taxi drivers, and what not. After I explain everything to them, many just keep quiet or become depressed. They do not try to educate me. because the facts don't lie and hence, they cannot refute it.

Ahh... the typical sinkie ball-lessness reaction towards having their own human rights in their own country..why am i not surprised???

That is why i stay away from sinkies.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore may not be everybody's idea of a fully democratic nation, but when it comes to choice(s), she does not lack behind any other nation. At every meal, Singaporeans easily can choose rice, or noodles, or roti. Prawn or fish, chicken or duck, pig or cattle (sorry, no dog or monkey, for this PRC beats the world hands down!). For fucks, Singaporeans can easily (and legally) choose, PRC, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, local, or Caucasian. In some western democratic countries, you can be arrested for patronizing prostitutes. Politically, there are at least half a dozen political parties any eligible voter can vote, for some reason, they always pick PAP. So, Singaporeans are not screwed. They have a choice, and no one is prevented from making his/her choice, for whatever reason(s). It is a free (but expensive, and crowded) city.

Cheers!

................. Singaporeans are truly screwed.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Singapore may not be everybody's idea of a fully democratic nation, but when it comes to choice(s), she does not lack behind any other nation. At every meal, Singaporeans easily can choose rice, or noodles, or roti. Prawn or fish, chicken or duck, pig or cattle (sorry, no dog or monkey, for this PRC beats the world hands down!). For fucks, Singaporeans can easily (and legally) choose, PRC, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, local, or Caucasian. In some western democratic countries, you can be arrested for patronizing prostitutes. Politically, there are at least half a dozen political parties any eligible voter can vote, for some reason, they always pick PAP. So, Singaporeans are not screwed. They have a choice, and no one is prevented from making his/her choice, for whatever reason(s). It is a free (but expensive, and crowded) city.

Cheers!

I never said they were screwed. I say they are lazy. If they took the time to research the other parties and carefully weigh all that the PAP have done, will 70% still vote them?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Before I proceed, just wish to make clear that I do not have any stong inclination(s) towards any political party or ideology. Am not in favour of PAP or any opposition group either. Just an observer, who tries to keep a low profile, and go with the flow. I do however, have my opinions based on my observation of the public and the media. As a community, Singapore (and Singaporeans) are no different from any other society. You have the good, the bad, and the ugly. The rich, the poor, the struggling. The morally upright, and at the same time, the lowly scums and gripe monger losers as well. It is a mixed society. The reason (I think) many choose the PAP at the GE is because the PAP is perceived as being the provider of their relatively comfortable lives. Compared with nations around the region, Singapore is seen to be stable, economically, socially (racial and religious tensions do not exist, or rather, have been played down). Legal procedures take precedence over any issue, and the judiciary is generally fair. These, and a well-greased civil and municipal services, complimented by a progressive education system makes Singapore an envy for many nations. Now, all these, the policy-makers take credit for implementing and upholding, when all that happened was that the current Sinagpore inherited these in working and running order from the colonial British of the past, pre-independence era. The newspaper has been instrumental in instilling these sentiments. In fact among all the institutions here in Singapore, the Straits Times is the only institution I feel falls short of being a stellar performer (I don't buy the paper!). Every visitor to Singapore (almost), would feel that the shining city is like what it is because of the government. This I feel, does not do justice to the dozens, if not hundreds of city-planners, engineers, architects, construction workers, civil service workers, whom the government should be grateful to. And NOT vice-versa! Its the people who deserve the accolades, not the PAP or, worse still, the leader named Harry. With these stacked against the opposition party, and giving all the credits to the PAP, obviously they will be better off at election time. I am sure what I have just written is common knowledge, but the Straits Times is an effective tool in altering/sway9ing the sentiments of the public. More so when there isn't another daily newspaper to rely on for daily news and updates. The editorial forum is a good page to judge the angle the paper leans on- has it ever voiced an opinion contrary to government view?

IN a nutshell, I'll just say, the government of Singapore took the baton from the British and ran with it, without interrupting the momentum of progress which was well underway. And took credit for all that happened.

Cheers!

I never said they were screwed. I say they are lazy. If they took the time to research the other parties and carefully weigh all that the PAP have done, will 70% still vote them?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Ok. Before I proceed, just wish to make clear that I do not have any stong inclination(s) towards any political party or ideology. Am not in favour of PAP or any opposition group either. Just an observer, who tries to keep a low profile, and go with the flow. I do however, have my opinions based on my observation of the public and the media. As a community, Singapore (and Singaporeans) are no different from any other society. You have the good, the bad, and the ugly. The rich, the poor, the struggling. The morally upright, and at the same time, the lowly scums and gripe monger losers as well. It is a mixed society. The reason (I think) many choose the PAP at the GE is because the PAP is perceived as being the provider of their relatively comfortable lives. Compared with nations around the region, Singapore is seen to be stable, economically, socially (racial and religious tensions do not exist, or rather, have been played down). Legal procedures take precedence over any issue, and the judiciary is generally fair. These, and a well-greased civil and municipal services, complimented by a progressive education system makes Singapore an envy for many nations. Now, all these, the policy-makers take credit for implementing and upholding, when all that happened was that the current Singapore inherited these in working and running order from the colonial British of the past, pre-independence era. The newspaper has been instrumental in instilling these sentiments. In fact among all the institutions here in Singapore, the Straits Times is the only institution I feel falls short of being a stellar performer (I don't buy the paper!). Every visitor to Singapore (almost), would feel that the shining city is like what it is because of the government. This I feel, does not do justice to the dozens, if not hundreds of city-planners, engineers, architects, construction workers, civil service workers, whom the government should be grateful to. And NOT vice-versa! Its the people who deserve the accolades, not the PAP or, worse still, the leader named Harry. With these stacked against the opposition party, and giving all the credits to the PAP, obviously they will be better off at election time. I am sure what I have just written is common knowledge, but the Straits Times is an effective tool in altering/sway9ing the sentiments of the public. More so when there isn't another daily newspaper to rely on for daily news and updates. The editorial forum is a good page to judge the angle the paper leans on- has it ever voiced an opinion contrary to government view?

IN a nutshell, I'll just say, the government of Singapore took the baton from the British and ran with it, without interrupting the momentum of progress which was well underway. And took credit for all that happened.

Cheers!

You have just summarized the problem with lazy singapore voters. And the reason that they keep voting PAP. Look at your statements.

Ok. Before I proceed, just wish to make clear that I do not have any stong inclination(s) towards any political party or ideology. Am not in favour of PAP or any opposition group either. Just an observer, who tries to keep a low profile, and go with the flow.

This is typical sinkie wishy washy. For god's sake, make a stand. You only have on vote. You either vote PAP or oppo. Yet, you want to sit on the fence and say you are not political. well, every 5 years, the GE kicks you off that fence, unless you spoil your vote, which is even worse. To sit on the fence like you do is just sheer mental laziness.

The reason (I think) many choose the PAP at the GE is because the PAP is perceived as being the provider of their relatively comfortable lives. Compared with nations around the region, Singapore is seen to be stable, economically, socially (racial and religious tensions do not exist, or rather, have been played down).

Only lazy people think like that. we cannot compare ourselves to the nations in the region. That is ridiculous. In the first place, they don't pay their politicians multi million $ salaries. Compared to Myanmar, Phillippines, Indonesia, etc. many other countries in the world, who do not pay exorbitant salaries to their politicians ALSO LOOK DAMN GOOD. So what is your point? Why don't we compare ourselves to the Switzerlands and Japans of the world (2 countries very admired by Old Fart), or even Finland, Norway, Canada, etc. and see how we compare against them? When you do this, you will see many flaws in the Singapore health care system, immigration policies, defense policies, etc exposed for what they are, inferior to these countries. You should be comparing Switzerland's pension plan to our CPF. The Japan rail system and its reliability to ours, etc. You want to pay the politician first world salaries but you don't compare to first world countries? Instead you comapre them to 3rd world countries? where is the sense and logic in that. Its easier to be mentally lazy and take the easy way out and say look at the neighbouring nations, we are better then them. Its a lot more work to go into Switzerland's country profile and look at all their policies versus what we have here.

Legal procedures take precedence over any issue, and the judiciary is generally fair. These, and a well-greased civil and municipal services, complimented by a progressive education system makes Singapore an envy for many nations.

Again, sheer laziness. Is it too much effort to think back to the history of the Singapore judiciary/legal system? When was the last time the govt lost a court case? When was the last time a PAP official lost a slander/libel case? Legal system fair when the PM and MM never got investigated for corruption after taking discounts from HPL for Nassim jade luxury condo purchases? There are many more examples like this of your so call fair legal system. As for the so called progressive education system, are you kidding me? Our system is so progressive that we cannot produce qualified graduates for even the most basic of jobs and have to import them in by the shipload from countries with supposedly inferior education systems then ours? If our education system is so progressive, why are employers hiring the graduates of the education systems of India, Myanmar, Phillippines, etc. instead of from singapore? Certainly graduates of such a progressive system will be recognized by employers and paid accordingly more salary, right? Guess what, that is not the case. And by the way, an education system that requires parents to pay thousands of $ every year on extra tuition for their child just to survive is not a progressive but a regressive system. You see, the problem is that all these facts I have just stated above are available for everyone to see. but lazy fuck singaporeans don't take the time to really look at it, and work it out in their head whether all the propaganda bullshit about their education system is true or not. Or whether the legal system is really fair or not. Its all there for them to figure out. But they are just too lazy.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not lazy. It's the smart thing to do. Too clever by half, as a former forummer would say. :smile:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Not lazy. It's the smart thing to do. Too clever by half, as a former forummer would say. :smile:

Its not the smart thing to do its the lazy thing to do. And here is why.

I have over 12,000 post on Sammyboy over many years. I have yet to meet anyone on this forum that said to me: "Look PAPsmearer, I went into the oppo party website and I read all their manifesto and policies. I watch youtube vids of their leaders speaking. I looked at their credentials and compared them to the credentials of the PAP candidate. Even after doing all that, even despite the fact that the PAP has shit candidates like Tin Pei Ling, Scholar Generals, etc. I decided to give my vote to the PAP for the following reasons................."

If the voter does his research and his due diligence and still decided to vote PAP, I have no issue with it. But many idiots like Agora will simply use a broad statement like "Oppo is not up to par with the PAP" and just vote PAP. This does not fly with me. This is called mental laziness.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro. Let's lay certain things down first. Firstly, I am not a Singapore citizen (at least not now). I am not the least bit interested in the Singapore political scene. As far as I know, there are general elections held every five years or so. And the PAP has been re-elected into the majority at EVERY election. I remember back into the 70s, lots of people already voiced dissatisfaction with the PAP, but still, they've won every election. If they are not a good government, they've at least had the political savvy to win the votes! If the elections are unfair, it is up to the other contestants to make this known - to the world! From the ongoing affairs, the elected government is fairly and democratically put in that position by the citizens of the nation. We only need read the posts in this forum to realize the disgruntled remarks about the governance of Singapore - and still what happens? - the citizens do not want the PAP to be kicked out! The recent GE, I thought that the influx of FTs, the increase in cost of living, together with the slowdown of the economy, the demise of LKY, (all of which, to me, are NOT the result of the government's doing, but by other EXTERNAL, WORLDLY factors) would see the election of some opposition members (especially, Dr. Chee Soon Juan), but the results of the day proved me wrong. The people of Singapore, at least the greater majority are comfortable with the PAP and their policies. And want them continued!

Me, I have nothing against Singapore, the people, or the government. Just find it somewhat crowded, with very limited space. Somehow, residents here seem to have gotten used to this. And adjusted their ways to accommodate living in the crowd. As for the opposition political parties, it is time they stopped looking at the PAP and try to tell the crowd they can do just as well, because this only reinforces the ability of the PAP and cements its successes. It is time they came up with their "own" plan. What they want to do with the changing demographics of the nation, and how it will benefit society once implemented. For a start, they can propose a re-allotment of NSmen resources into social services (like old-age and healthcare). Reduce expenses on defense (allocate the finances to medical and education). And think of a way to eventually scrap the dreaded COE, which people here have come to expect as "normal!"

Cheers!

Its not the smart thing to do its the lazy thing to do. And here is why.

I have over 12,000 post on Sammyboy over many years. I have yet to meet anyone on this forum that said to me: "Look PAPsmearer, I went into the oppo party website and I read all their manifesto and policies. I watch youtube vids of their leaders speaking. I looked at their credentials and compared them to the credentials of the PAP candidate. Even after doing all that, even despite the fact that the PAP has shit candidates like Tin Pei Ling, Scholar Generals, etc. I decided to give my vote to the PAP for the following reasons................."

If the voter does his research and his due diligence and still decided to vote PAP, I have no issue with it. But many idiots like Agora will simply use a broad statement like "Oppo is not up to par with the PAP" and just vote PAP. This does not fly with me. This is called mental laziness.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
My question to you is if the American style election process was available in singapore, would 70% still vote the same way? Lets say there were many public debates shown on national TV among all the candidates (like in the US), and the campaigning period was months and not days, and the press coverage was given openly and freely to all the candidates, and sinkie voters were given the time, information, and access to all the candidates provided by the mass media, would they still vote 70%. I highly doubt it. Unfortunately, this is not the US. This is a dictatorship. Therefore, even though all the information is available out there, the sinkie voter has to go out and find it. they have to work for their vote. And these lazy fucks have not done it.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
would they still vote 70%

Yes, 70% will still vote PAP. Never underestimate the power of sinkie's stupidity and laziness. Most sinkies will prefer to watch drama & entertainment channels rather than watch political debates. Thinking is a hard task for most sinkies.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, 70% will still vote PAP. Never underestimate the power of sinkie's stupidity and laziness. Most sinkies will prefer to watch drama & entertainment channels rather than watch political debates. Thinking is a hard task for most sinkies.

That 's not true. Tens of thousands thronged the Opposition Party 's rallies night after night.

st_20150903_xwprally_1656308.jpg

They must be thinking hard as they listened to the Opps party 's speeches.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That 's not true. Tens of thousands thronged the Opposition Party 's rallies night after night.

View attachment 25173

as opposed to the scraggedly hundreds that bothered to turned out to listen to PAP's speeches,these tens of thousands so full of hope and courage only to be dashed by the daft and stupid 70 percent who merely tossed their votes away.this silent majority who couldnt even be bothered to listen to what their already predestined chosen leaders had to say about their future or the country's future or were too busy that week all 2 million of them.

i can bet u one thing,this never happened twenty,thirty years ago......i bet the people would swarm the stadiums and streets to see PAP's speeches and rallys.....unless i was mistaken,PAP was hated then just like they are hated now but were too stupid and balless to do anything,people loved JBJ just like JBJ loved the man on the street,the underdogs.

sam leong is so right,how can u not see the qualities of the sinkie populace for who they are?i bet he saw singaporeans for who they were 20 years ago,so dull and conservative and dimwitted,so unbearably traditional,old fashioned,childishly simple minded and naive,so tragically stupid and ignorant,lazy in their own ignorance and to make matters worse sinkies are gutless cowards,nothing can redeem them in anyway.i have seen the light sam leong,i have seen what u seen 20 years ago,its time to leave this land of daft and stupid and

Last edited:

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as opposed to the scraggedly hundreds that bothered to turned out to listen to PAP's speeches,these tens of thousands so full of hope and courage only to be dashed by the daft and stupid 70 percent who merely tossed their votes away.this silent majority who couldnt even be bothered to listen to what their already predestined chosen leaders had to say about their future or the country's future or were too busy that week all 2 million of them

You believe all those tens of thousands who attended the Opposition Party rallies voted for the Opps?!

You are so believing !

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

View attachment 25173

You must be another stupid sinkie who is too lazy to think. Those who throng the opposition's rallies belong to the 30%. The rest of the 70% are watching their soap operas at home.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You must be another stupid sinkie who is too lazy to think. Those who throng the opposition's rallies belong to the 30%. The rest of the 70% are watching their soap operas at home.

WP almost lost their ward ... and you are so believing that the tens of thousands voted for them. I am sure they thought hard about their vote.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You believe all those tens of thousands who attended the Opposition Party rallies voted for the Opps?!

You are so believing !

Of course! Otherwise, the PAP rallies would be as crowded. The 70% can't be bothered to turn up at PAP's rallies because they are glued to their soap operas. That's how lazy they are!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are so believing !

i can bet u one thing,this never happened twenty,thirty years ago......i bet the people would swarm the stadiums and streets to see PAP's speeches and rallys.....unless i was mistaken,PAP was hated then just like they are hated now but were too stupid and balless to do anything,people loved JBJ just like JBJ loved the man on the street,the underdogs.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP almost lost their ward ... and you are so believing that the tens of thousands voted for them. I am sure they thought hard about their vote.

This reply is a sure sign of another stupid sinkie who is too lazy to think. There are WP supporters from elsewhere besides Aljunied and Hougang.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This reply is a sure sign of another stupid sinkie who is too lazy to think. There are WP supporters from elsewhere besides Aljunied and Hougang.

You still dun get my point... they almost lost Aljunied. They lost every other wards. You are just too lazy to think.