• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tay Ping Hui: I grew up with majority blindspot, NOT Chinese privilege

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1627131665055.png

SINGAPORE - What is Chinese privilege? A majority blindspot to understanding other races; an incomprehensible label to older folks; an issue better explained through social mobility; a non-starter given the Chinese community's history of helping other ethnic groups.

These were some points raised by three Chinese men - actor Tay Ping Hui, president of the Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations Tan Aik Hock and lawyer Hee Theng Fong - at a dialogue on Saturday (July 24) on the role of their community in upholding Singapore's multicultural fabric.

Organised by Government feedback unit Reach and Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao, the discussion also included Law and Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam and Senior Minister of State for National Development and Foreign Affairs Sim Ann.

Political editor of Singapore Press Holdings' Chinese Media Group Newshub Ho Sheo Be was moderator for the hybrid event mixing physical panellists with virtual attendees.

In his introduction, Mr Tay shared that having grown up in a Mandarin-speaking home and attended a Special Assistance Plan (SAP) school where he studied Chinese literature, more than 90 per cent of his friends were Chinese - at least until he went to junior college and then National Service.

"I was very comfortable, with everyone around me Chinese. I thought I probably didn't need to know about the other races," he said in Mandarin. "It doesn't mean that I had Chinese privilege, but I must acknowledge I had a majority blindspot."

It was only after being called racially discriminatory names when living abroad did he realise how minorities in Singapore must feel, said Mr Tay, as he urged the Chinese community here to open their minds to understand other cultures and their views.

Mr Shanmugam later described Mr Tay's experience as swimming in pools which are not very large. "We tend to meet people of similar social standing, of similar race, at work and so on," he said. "When you are part of the 75 per cent (Chinese), it's not easy for you to understand the disadvantages that minorities face, and you also may not realise the advantages of being part of a majority."

Mr Hee, from Harry Elias Partnership, said Chinese Singaporeans who lived through separation from Malaysia would not understand the label of privilege. "I have many friends who transferred from Chinese schools to English schools and had to adjust to learn in English. There were also limitations in career development at that time; and a lot of people were disappointed and had grievances," he explained.

Mr Hee said that the issues raised by proponents of Chinese privilege may be better addressed through the lens of mobility. "Look at, for example, the rich-poor divide. That happens in any country. It's not a racial problem, it's about meritocracy," he said.

"More importantly, we need a stable and harmonious society, without which majority advantage or minority disadvantage or whatever it is will just be empty talk."

Mr Tan said the Chinese community and its clan associations have been doing work on this front for some 200 years now.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...not-chinese-privilege-says-actor-tay-ping-hui

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"When you are part of the 75 per cent (Chinese), it's not easy for you to understand the disadvantages that minorities face"
Can anyone explain to an uninformed person like me what disadvantages these CECA (living it up in condos, holding good jobs with high salaries and need not serve NS ) face?
If they face disadvantages, why are they swarming here in huge numbers ?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All sinkies, rich or poor, chink, m&d, keling, mongrel, all have sinkie privilege. It's the privilege of living in a Singapore governed by PAP for the past 50 years, and hopefully, another 50 years more.

Over the past 50 years, all our neighbours suffer from civil unrest, coups, wars, institutionalized discrimination against minorities, poverty, etc, PAP enabled sinkies of all races to live in peace and security with over 95% of the citizens owning their own homes.

jw5

Loyal
Tay Ping Hui should realize by now that the PAP will never select him as a candidate for MP. Hence he should consider joining the opposition.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All sinkies, rich or poor, chink, m&d, keling, mongrel, all have sinkie privilege. It's the privilege of living in a Singapore governed by PAP for the past 50 years, and hopefully, another 50 years more.

Over the past 50 years, all our neighbours suffer from civil unrest, coups, wars, institutionalized discrimination against minorities, poverty, etc, PAP enabled sinkies of all races to live in peace and security with over 95% of the citizens owning their own homes.
Well said Sir John Tan. Majulah PAP! :biggrin:

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tay Peng Hui talk cock lah.
In his early days, he spoke with some weird ang moh twang.
Then, later like some high class brit.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tay Peng Hui talk cock lah.
In his early days, he spoke with some weird ang moh twang.
Then, later like some high class brit.

China's media industry has acknowledged PAP cadre Tay Peng Hui as an alpha male. They hired him instead of a local chink actor to act as Genghis Khan in one of their own tv drama shows. So show some respect to Tay Peng Hui, asshole!

1627138464514.png

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tay Ping Hui should realize by now that the PAP will never select him as a candidate for MP. Hence he should consider joining the opposition.
He tok cock lah. I believe he an armour occifer. Armour no mat and only a few kelings. The kelings not even in combat teams, mostly in CQ and MT line.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He can join the ugly Calvin to be an armchair critic. At least the ugly Calvin had been an NMP.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite the rhetoric, jiu hu is only 50% malay.
Out of that 50%, about hslf a million are mamak, including dr m, anwar inbrahim, who considers themselves as malays.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I was very comfortable, with everyone around me Chinese. I thought I probably didn't need to know about the other races," he said in Mandarin. "It doesn't mean that I had Chinese privilege, but I must acknowledge I had a majority blindspot."
Oh that means I am 0.01% Singaporean Chinese with no majority blind spot since for two years I was in secondary school class with more than 50% non Chinese - the class where they put all the malays and Indians together.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh that means I am 0.01% Singaporean Chinese with no majority blind spot since for two years I was in secondary school class with more than 50% non Chinese - the class where they put all the malays and Indians together.
And so what? I got viciously attacked by Malaysian indian kt latha and ceca Indians and sinkie Malays in Spore.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
There is another huge blindspot.

NS.

BMT A level intake.

Go to OCS. All A level also.

If you throw the A level into mono intake grunt unit with PSLE dropouts it will be a big shock to the A level guy. Have to live and talk to 96.9% speak only hokkien guys when A level guy dunno how to speak hokkien. All chinese.

Throw Kee Chiu to be a private at one of these grunt units with all PSLE drop outs live and talk and work at their level be punished at same level where attitude of 90% of the section and platoon is all bad and fucked up. No sabo king cos every fella is a sabo. Every day whole day keep kena pumping running punish. But the PSLE fellas boh chup. Punish punish lor. See how long people like OYK KC LW last in there.

Dont need to talk about race.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I already knew it then the malays in class are most united while chinese in class are you die your business. I am so stupid to continue to have blind faith - for another few more decades - not blind spot indeed.