• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

stay condo vs house

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
A number of people think that living in JB is simply not a wise idea for Singaporean children- as commuting is stressful. I think there are some grains of truth to it. Should we care more about living a more comfortable life, then I believe we'll all try to adjust accordingly. we lose some but we gain some too. The only decent way is to move forward and treat every decision/mistake made as an invaluable experience - personal opinion.

Having said that, I am married but without kids, but also not young. Problem is I am definitely not in the best position to comment about bringing kids to live in JB... haha. But that does not mean, I would not have a child. When I do have a child, the child shall live in JB and travel to Singapore with me (to work)- as far as i can rationalized. I shall invite my in-laws to stay over often to care for their grandchild. The kid shall learn that this a norm.

Anw, the reason I want to stay in JB is that it is simply easier to pursue a happier life. I think a happier life = happier outlook = making healthier decisions about life. I love the notion of retiring or semi-retiring early just like you (: I love the idea of sipping tea in the afternoons, golfing, trekking, whipping up meals and going for daily gym classes...etc Hence, I look forward to the day I can obtain the keys to my condo unit and start living my own lifestyle - 1.5 years more to go. On days when I need to stay in Singapore for a while.. I'll "run" back to mummy's house in Singapore (: Mummy is always the best!

For us, we move all kids activities over to JB, so the only person commuting daily is me. It is a small sacrifice seeing that the whole family is happy with life in JB. Imagine piano lessons at RM120 per month vs $120 per month in Singapore.:biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal opinion. I'll choose to stay in condo instead of landed. I'm from JB and I grew up in a bungalow, yes it has it's perks but also tons of downside, biggest one is maintenance/upkeep. I'm in my late 20s, recently married, maybe having kids next year, I have no time to do maintenance on a home, def will get part time maid. For condo, I'll only got for luxury/high end larger units >1300sqf.

I work in Sg and my office hrs are flexible, can work from home if I want to and I travel overseas about 20% of my time. When I travel I need to know that everything is safe'ish and when I'm at home I need good amenities and a good environtment, i.e. Not condos that that have notorious management/maintenance. So while I want condo I'm also very selective of where and which type.

Why not in SG then? My installment will be 1/4 of what I pay now and for almost double the space, best thing is I get to eat my favourite foods all the time, enjoy cheaper Golf. My condo will be completed in 2017, can't wait. Sg is just too ex for me and landed just not realistic for my current situation.

Ah...there you go...someone who is "sick" of landed life and prefer condo. sgcount should take note!:p

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah...there you go...someone who is "sick" of landed life and prefer condo. sgcount should take note!:p

Don't get me wrong, not sick of landed, if I have much more free time and my life is much more slower paced, I'll choose landed in central JB, renovate the hell out of it to my liking with all the bells and whistles. But just the next 5 years in my current situation, condo is for me.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't get me wrong, not sick of landed, if I have much more free time and my life is much more slower paced, I'll choose landed in central JB, renovate the hell out of it to my liking with all the bells and whistles. But just the next 5 years in my current situation, condo is for me.

Yep good plan.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

You intend to buy or rent condo?

OzRick

Alfrescian
Loyal

I will prefer to live in a ‘high end’ condo than landed in Johor for my retirement.

After living in a few ‘landed bungalows’ in Australia for more than 20 years, the maintenance and up-keeping of landed property is a big hassle. Things like pest control, lawn mowing, garden/landscaping maintenance, weed clearing, pool cleaning, general repairs etc. will take much of your time and expenses.

Moreover, in Malaysia where security is of high concern, condo living is the safest for yourself and your personal properties.

So, I believe living in a luxury condo is the way to enjoy your retirement.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will prefer to live in a ‘high end’ condo than landed in Johor for my retirement.

After living in a few ‘landed bungalows’ in Australia for more than 20 years, the maintenance and up-keeping of landed property is a big hassle. Things like pest control, lawn mowing, garden/landscaping maintenance, weed clearing, pool cleaning, general repairs etc. will take much of your time and expenses.

Moreover, in Malaysia where security is of high concern, condo living is the safest for yourself and your personal properties.

Yep and you bought in Nusajaya right? Living there now?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Penthouse unit for the win!

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually your reasons above are also applicable to landed properties which are guarded and gated with smaller footprint. Being smaller footprint or similar to condo would also mean less expensive than bigger landed properties. You can invest more in security features if this is your priority. Maybe employ Gurkha.:biggrin:

I beg to differ (:

It is easier to live in condo and I can just focus on living my life with lesser worries. The main difference between a land and a good condo is the availability of communal facilities, low maintenance effort and high security which the former lacks. Good condo are also usually closer to good amenities.. basically within walking distance, has reasonable sky view (No grill windows for me) and banish the need to over-invest in security features. And more folks to say hi too!!

Last edited:

OzRick

Alfrescian
Loyal
After staying in a landed house at Horizon Hills for more than a year, I still prefer condo living as follows:

After the sun set, I have to close all doors and windows, turn on the fan or aircon to keep out the mosquitos. I believe if you live high enough in a condo, you don’t have this problem. Moreover, the higher the level, the breeze seems stronger compared to at ground level.

I am sick of walking up and down the staircase several times a day. It can be a hassle when you become old and your knees get weak. In the newer design of landed properties, there even three levels for you to climb.

These might be trivial matters, but it does affect my quality of life.

However, choosing between condo and landed properties depends on your stage of life. If you are still young and raising a family, landed properties will suit you better. If you are retired like me, then a luxury condo is the way to enjoy your life without much aggravation.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
After staying in a landed house at Horizon Hills for more than a year, I still prefer condo living as follows:

After the sun set, I have to close all doors and windows, turn on the fan or aircon to keep out the mosquitos. I believe if you live high enough in a condo, you don’t have this problem. Moreover, the higher the level, the breeze seems stronger compared to at ground level.

I am sick of walking up and down the staircase several times a day. It can be a hassle when you become old and your knees get weak. In the newer design of landed properties, there even three levels for you to climb.

These might be trivial matters, but it does affect my quality of life.

However, choosing between condo and landed properties depends on your stage of life. If you are still young and raising a family, landed properties will suit you better. If you are retired like me, then a luxury condo is the way to enjoy your life without much aggravation.
Totally agreed. When you have young family, you want a big house. When all are married and moved out, you want a small condo. 2 room type would be the best.
No need to tend to the garden, change the fountain water, clear blocked drains, pick up cat poo, lizard shits, worry about roof leaks, etc.
Just lock the doors and go on holidays. Just pay the maintenance and hassle free.

For me, it would be a 2019 would be the year I celebrate my retirement. And I am definitely going to stay in my condos.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ (:

It is easier to live in condo and I can just focus on living my life with lesser worries. The main difference between a land and a good condo is the availability of communal facilities, low maintenance effort and high security which the former lacks. Good condo are also usually closer to good amenities.. basically within walking distance, has reasonable sky view (No grill windows for me) and banish the need to over-invest in security features. And more folks to say hi too!!

I agree that it is definitely lesser work living in a condo. Lesser house chores for sure (because I poor church mouse no money to employ maids or part time cleaners).:p Anyway, come 2018 or 2019 when KSL@Daya is ready I will definitely spend some time enjoying a condo living experience. By then can say have experienced living in HDB, landed, and condo.....except tree house...LOL!

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal opinion. I'll choose to stay in condo instead of landed. I'm from JB and I grew up in a bungalow, yes it has it's perks but also tons of downside, biggest one is maintenance/upkeep. I'm in my late 20s, recently married, maybe having kids next year, I have no time to do maintenance on a home, def will get part time maid. For condo, I'll only got for luxury/high end larger units >1300sqf.

I work in Sg and my office hrs are flexible, can work from home if I want to and I travel overseas about 20% of my time. When I travel I need to know that everything is safe'ish and when I'm at home I need good amenities and a good environtment, i.e. Not condos that that have notorious management/maintenance. So while I want condo I'm also very selective of where and which type.

Why not in SG then? My installment will be 1/4 of what I pay now and for almost double the space, best thing is I get to eat my favourite foods all the time, enjoy cheaper Golf. My condo will be completed in 2017, can't wait. Sg is just too ex for me and landed just not realistic for my current situation.

I'm a M'sian too and grew up in bungalows but now prefer a condo. Maintenance is easier and if u're kidless, you don't need that much space unless you wanna impress.

I also prefer the view and breeziness from an elevated position which only a decent-height condo can give, and of course an unobsteucted balcony view is priceless, so choose a condo that faces a landed developmemt or the sea (outside reclamation zone of course) and you can be assured of unobstructed views.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm a M'sian too and grew up in bungalows but now prefer a condo. Maintenance is easier and if u're kidless, you don't need that much space unless you wanna impress.

I also prefer the view and breeziness from an elevated position which only a decent-height condo can give, and of course an unobsteucted balcony view is priceless, so choose a condo that faces a landed developmemt or the sea (outside reclamation zone of course) and you can be assured of unobstructed views.

Comparing condos and landed is really not comparing apples to apples. Whether condos or landed I believe it all boils down to personal preference at the end of the day. My view is that most decisions made are heart decisions ultimately.