• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singtel offloaded its elderly workers to Huawei Tech!

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
from cna forum

Singtel offloaded its elderly workers to Huawei Tech!
SingTel transferred elderly workers under its contract to Huawei Technologies

This “manage services” project which Singtel call it, was made known to us on 21/3/12. We have till 24/3/12 to sign the agreement. Effective date of transfer is 1st June 2012. Which means I am today a Huawei staff.

They give us some ex-gratia payment which they called a “sweetener”, for me it work out to about 3 months which I think is pathetic. I have worked in singtel for 32 yrs. Though I have signed the letter, I did it out of fear of loosing my job, just like many of my colleagues. What Singtel and Huawei is going to gain from this, I dont know. But what I can see clearly is most of the 525 affected staff are way above 50 yrs old just like me.

I am 52. If this happen to a company which is struggling to survive, then we can understand. But this is Singtel, a company that boast $900M profit year in and year out. Why are they allow to do this legally? isn’t it some sort of loop-hole for rich company to get rid of old staff?

We approached MOM, they say ask your union. But our union already agreed with everything without our knowledge, all union members were not informed about the final outcome till “tell day” 21/3/12. We approached lawyer, he say since all have signed, our case is pretty weak.

But I want to clarify -

1 – is it right to give just 3 days notice.
2 – we have no option, sign or be terminated.
3 – if the UNION makes mistakes on this matter, where can we seek justice? can we sue the UNION?
4 – SingTel makes big money, it should pay us accordingly. As far as I understand, it should be 1 yr service = 1 month pay, up to max of 25 months.

I could go on and on. Now, if this is really legal, then you can imagine 2 to 3 yrs down the road, how many 50+ old man will becomes jobless, and without proper payouts to sustain the period when they are jobless – Isn’t this a big concern for Society and Country at large? I feel totally insecure even though huawei promise us employment till 2014. What happens after 2014 is a big question mark.

CLIVE CHENG

*The above was first posted as a comment on Tan Chuan Jin’s Facebook page.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you don't mind the Tiong brand, Huawei makes decent and affordable Android phones. They run on stock Android, so they're super fast and not laggy.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell Clive Cheng to go..

FUCK OFF!

At 52, nobody wants YOU!

Let alone your PAP Master!

Of course, this does NOT apply to themselves!

Sinkies reap what they sow!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the sad but true fact of almost all workplaces:

If your workplace is run as a cost center (company incurs a loss keeping that place open), the workers there will be treated like shit. Benefits and incentives will be paltry. These places include: a bank's back office and ops/support department, IT firm's customer service center.

However, if your workplace is a profit center (sales) where almost everyone is a rainmaker, then the perks are significantly better.

There's good and there's bad for both types of workplaces.

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a significant shareholder of Singtel, I applaud the move by its management to take this kind, bold and decisive move! I am sure Singtel shares will increase as a result of this!

Why is this retard Clive complaining? He should count his lucky stars a useless bum like him is not offloaded to Batam or Johor!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
They give us some ex-gratia payment which they called a “sweetener”, for me it work out to about 3 months which I think is pathetic. I have worked in singtel for 32 yrs.

CLIVE CHENG

I see no reason why any company needs to guarantee a job for any of their employees from cradle to grave. He may have worked for Singtel for 32 years but he didn't stay put out of loyalty and love for the company. He did it because Singtel paid him a salary, and a reasonably good one I'm sure, on time, every time, every single month.

He also received paid leave, CPF payments, medical leave, medical benefits and a host of other fringe benefits that come with working in a large GLC.

In the course of the 32 years, surely he should have been planning for the day when his services were no longer required. Assuming he earned an average of $2500 per month for 32 years, that's a cool MILLION dollars not counting additional bonuses beyond the standard 13th month. What did he do with it all?

People need to learn to be responsible for their own destinies. No company, no government, no friend or relative is going to assume the role of taking care of your life. It's something you need to do for yourself.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see no reason why any company needs to guarantee a job for any of their employees from cradle to grave. He may have worked for Singtel for 32 years but he didn't stay put out of loyalty and love for the company. He did it because Singtel paid him a salary, and a reasonably good one I'm sure, on time, every time, every single month.

He also received paid leave, CPF payments, medical leave, medical benefits and a host of other fringe benefits that come with working in a large GLC.

In the course of the 32 years, surely he should have been planning for the day when his services were no longer required. Assuming he earned an average of $2500 per month for 32 years, that's a cool MILLION dollars not counting additional bonuses beyond the standard 13th month. What did he do with it all?

People need to learn to be responsible for their own destinies. No company, no government, no friend or relative is going to assume the role of taking care of your life. It's something you need to do for yourself.

I thought you understood Sinkie behaviour thru and thru?

Most Sinkie are like that..'handicapped' both in mind and body, unable to crave out a good living ..ON THEIR OWN..

They car BALLS, wayang at work to think that their rulers or supposed employer will 'take care of their interest and rice bowl'

So when the 'bomb shell' is drop, on these Sinkie come one fine day..

All of them will only Kao peh kao bu ( I'm sure you know this term) and claim that such injustice have befall upon them!

Hope I don't need to explain this again?

Any Sinkie care to comment? LOL

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see no reason why any company needs to guarantee a job for any of their employees from cradle to grave ...
ya, man! ...

once dat fella is of no use value any mor, juz throw dat fella in2 ze bin ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
32 years in the company and he is till getting employed. There are professionals that lose their jobs within a few years.

This guy must be living in a different planet.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
god_zeus said:
from cna forum
Though I have signed the letter, I did it out of fear of loosing my job, just like many of my colleagues. What Singtel and Huawei is going to gain from this, I dont know. But what I can see clearly is most of the 525 affected staff are way above 50 yrs old just like me.

Wah another 525 voters voting for Opposition parties or is it 60% of 525? Wait, Civil Service, Public Service and GLCs are supposed to be pro-PAP. So can we assume 70% of 525 will now vote for Opposition?

Last edited:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
If SingTel laid them off they would have to pay a golden handshake. SingTel is saving themselves a lot of money by pushing the workers to huawei. The union is a joke like NTUC. When Huawei loses money or wants to restructure they can cheaply retrench the elderly workers without having to pay golden handshake or retirement packages as the workers have only been with Huawei for a short time. The majority of Singaporeans will always lose with the PAPzis in government.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing wrong with what Singtel is doing. The only thing that is wrong is that fake union thing. Companies should have the power to hire and fire at will but workers should have the right to organise themselves for protection. Unfortunately SGreans have never understood this as they only care about their own self-interests and immediate financial gains. When the author was in his twenties, did he take an active stand against the pathetic state of the unions in SG or was he only too happy since he was valued for his youth? It is too late to cry now when the coffin is placed in front of you.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the mistake many Silliporeans working in the civil service/GLC's make when they voted for the PAP.
The fact that you voted for them makes no difference-you get the shit anyway when the times come.
This is a good example why locals must vote for what is right for the future of the country and the next generation.

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once."

Cowardly silliporeans will "die " many times, with themselves, their wives and children being bulllied by the pappy with foreigners helping to gleefully rubbing salt into their wounds. What kind of life is it when you are being pushed around by Pinoys, PRC's and Indian FT's.?