• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore is worse than a prostitute...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's no such thing as an Asian language or an Asian culture. In context of Singapore, the native language is Malay, the rest are immigrant languages.

If anyone wants to promote so-called Asian or native roots, then it should be the Malay language and culture. Promoting Chinese is just bullying on numerical superiority.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The problem with Singaporeans is they are not Ang Mohs but they aren't Chinese either. They actually don't know what they are.

My suggestion is simple.. call yourselves Singaporeans and learn to speak Malay.

The Peranakans assimilated very well. I'm sure the rest of Singapore can do the same if they set their minds to it.

why buy fake product? why buy phony product? why pretend, role play as if we are ang moh? why speak in a inefficient way, speaking mandarin or chinese dialect using english? why not speak mandarin or chinese dialect directly?

at least we agree in one thing. singapore is a freakish country.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's no such thing as an Asian language or an Asian culture. In context of Singapore, the native language is Malay, the rest are immigrant languages.

If anyone wants to promote so-called Asian or native roots, then it should be the Malay language and culture. Promoting Chinese is just bullying on numerical superiority.

i am not promoting chinese language. i am against this over emphasis on english language snuffing out the life of the asian language such as chinese language here.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with Singaporeans is they are not Ang Mohs but they aren't Chinese either. They actually don't know what they are.

My suggestion is simple.. call yourselves Singaporeans and learn to speak Malay.

The Peranakans assimilated very well. I'm sure the rest of Singapore can do the same if they set their minds to it.

sorry i have to disagree. there used to be lots of chinese here. but many of the people here in this country had been transform by the PAP govt into a weird shit not western nor asian race.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sorry i have to disagree. there used to be lots of chinese here. but many of the people here in this country had been transform by the PAP govt into a weird shit not western nor asian race.

Should be better than PRC. You want Chinese Singaporeans to be culturally like PRCs?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
culture is music, is art, is philosophy, its literature, its food, its a way of life, its a outlook of life, etc etc.

I suspected your answer would be something along those lines. I have news for you my friend. If that's your definition, the PRC Chinese are fast losing their culture too.

In all the major Chinese cities, the dream of every Chinaman (and woman) involves being as Western as possible.

Go take a look for yourself. :p

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspected your answer would be something along those lines. I have news for you my friend. If that's your definition, the PRC Chinese are fast losing their culture too.

In all the major Chinese cities, the dream of every Chinaman (and woman) involves being as Western as possible.

people all over the world making silly choices. so? its their loss.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY was right to make the English language the administrative medium for 2 primary reasons:

1. Political i.e. to avoid a probable 'fight' between Malays and Chinese;

2. Economic i.e. English was and still is the international commerical business lingua franca.

I for one have personally benefitted from the policy as it has been my global passport to getting very good paying jobs overseas, and there are many many other Singaporeans like me.

Put it this way.

97 percent of the population in Spore are Asian. When the country 'promote' English as 1st language, and 'demote' Asian language as 2nd language, something is seriously wrong with this country.

Its like 97 percent of the whole country starting out using mac and all kind of linux os, but the PAP govt impose a policy forcing the whole country to use Windows XP, Windows Vista as the default OS. doesn't sound right to me.

the sum is not right. 97 percent of the population are asian, and we put some so much emphasis on english language. thats a sell out to the asian language and culture.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

microsoft windows (all version) have got more than 90 percent market share. does that makes u wanna use their product? i don't. i will stick to my favorite linux distro linuxmint.

its not about the market share... if life is just about market share, decision making in life would be a breeze.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well they bloody well ought to be, this is not PRC. In fact I was quite pleased to see Tao Li speaking ok Singlish (enough for me) on the telly yesterday.

English is hardly a prerequisite for being a sinkie. For example, New PRC citizens are under no compulsion whatsoever to learn English.

:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY was right to make the English language the administrative medium for 2 primary reasons:

1. Political i.e. to avoid a probable 'fight' between Malays and Chinese;

2. Economic i.e. English was and still is the international commerical business lingua franca.

I for one have personally benefitted from the policy as it has been my global passport to getting very good paying jobs overseas, and there are many many other Singaporeans like me.

like i said to sam, let me repeat, life is not just about market share. if its just about market share, just about money, economic success, life's decision would be very easy. but life there are more to it . more to it than just economic success. more to it than just staying competitive (in business), staying global.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest you go learn about Singapore's history, do not go back to Raffles, just start from post world war II onwards:rolleyes:
i suggest chinese. why so? 'cause the population 75 over percent are chinese here. simple as that. if i am not wrong, the high ranking official from british posted to this island, during raffles time, they learn chinese too.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah lah. of course unique. chinese here 75 percent of the population, but ditch chinese language like its some dirt like that. of course unique.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
its not about the market share... if life is just about market share, decision making in life would be a breeze.

Aren't you the one who said that Chinese should be the language of choice because 75% of Singaporeans are ethnic Chinese???:p

You're making a bit of a fool of yourself you know. It's good to fight for a cause but the way you're twisting and turning, I suggest that Tamil or Hindi should be your language of Choice. :biggrin:

You'll hear no more from me. You're simply not logical.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point. The standards of all 4 languages were probably much higher pre Independence. Oh and majority of Singaporeans at that time were also able to speak a smattering of bahasa as well.

The same problem happens to our Malay and Indian compatriots too. Most of them are now speaking rojak Melayu or Tamil mixed with English. And ultimately, Singapore is now neither here nor there. The English standard is also ridiculously low, in order to boost passing numbers. A case of shifting goalposts to get goals.