• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore is worse than a prostitute...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
there are high number of British set foot on America right? naturally English would have strong influence on the county. and naturally, it became the unifying language.

Using that logic, the use of English in Singapore is justified too. After all, Singapore belonged to the British from 1819 all the way till independence in 1959 and the Brits far outnumbered the Chinese in the early days. [When the Chinese did become the majority around 1830, it was the Peranakan Chinese that formed the bulk of the Chinese population but that' a story for a separate debate.]

It is therefore only natural that it became the unifying language just as it did in America.

What's the difference?

I also believe you have a very poor understanding of how cities have emerged over the history of mankind. There is nothing fake about the place. It is simply a product of circumstance just as any other city in the world is. By your definition of fake, New York is fake, Las Vegas is fake for sure! So too is Sydney and Melbourne. After all, what the hell is Western Style city doing way out on the other side of the world. Get a grip of yourself and seek some help or you'll end up living a really miserable life in Singapore.

Alternatively, you can choose to return to your roots so you don't have to put up with the false facade that you hate. Be careful though. Some countries put on more fake shows than Singapore does.:biggrin:

Soundwave

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why did PM Lee Hsien Loong said that there's no suitable candidate in the cabinet for the next PM? All the Chinese ministers can't speak Malay. Koh Boon Wan can, but he's from Penang.

Oh? I thought it was because his son was still too young! :biggrin:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
(Translation)

Right and reasonable, I agree. Singapore's national anthem is also in Malay. Singapore's military commands are also given in Malay. However, how many non-Malay Singaporeans can actually speak Malay? Many Indians can, but most Chinese can't.

Why did PM Lee Hsien Loong said that there's no suitable candidate in the cabinet for the next PM? All the Chinese ministers can't speak Malay. Koh Boon Wan can, but he's from Penang.

what is unreasonable then?

unreasonable is sporean chinese kids have poor grasp of chinese language in a 75% chinese populated country. thats unreasonable. thats baffling and appalling.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Using that logic, the use of English in Singapore is justified too. After all, Singapore belonged to the British from 1819 all the way till independence in 1959 and the Brits far outnumbered the Chinese in the early days. [When the Chinese did become the majority around 1830, it was the Peranakan Chinese that formed the bulk of the Chinese population but that' a story for a separate debate.]

It is therefore only natural that it became the unifying language just as it did in America.

What's the difference?

I also believe you have a very poor understanding of how cities have emerged over the history of mankind. There is nothing fake about the place. It is simply a product of circumstance just as any other city in the world is. By your definition of fake, New York is fake, Las Vegas is fake for sure! So too is Sydney and Melbourne. After all, what the hell is Western Style city doing way out on the other side of the world. Get a grip of yourself and seek some help or you'll end up living a really miserable life in Singapore.

Alternatively, you can choose to return to your roots so you don't have to put up with the false facade that you hate. Be careful though. Some countries put on more fake shows than Singapore does.:biggrin:

u don't know what u are talking about.

75 percent of the population here is chinese, and many of the chinese sporeans (especially the new generation) have got poor grasp of chinese language. thats a fakey city. thats phony city. thats a unnatural social phenomenon.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

it is not about who's in charge. i am talking about the population. who is the majority here in spore?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

unreasonable is sporean chinese kids have poor grasp of chinese language in a 75% chinese populated country. thats unreasonable. thats baffling and appalling.

It's not their language anymore. 75% of ethnic Singaporeans look Chinese but they aren't really Chinese anymore. They are of chinese "descent" just as white Americans are mainly of European "descent".

White Americans now consider themselves to be "Americans" and yellow Singaporeans should consider themselves to be simply Singaporeans.

The ties to the motherland are long gone. The real Chinese of the PRC don't consider you guys to be Chinese anymore. The Hongkongers call Malaysian and Singapore Chinese "Mah Lai Jai".

Singaporeans need to cut themselves loose emotionally so they can look forward to forging their own identity rather than trying to go backwards and try to "chinafy" themselves again. :biggrin: It won't work. Even China is looking to the West for direction.

The evidence is here for all to see. :p

20060107subs-005a.jpg

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's a problem with education system and standards. As I've mentioned earlier, a Singaporean Chinese needs only to know about 200 characters to get an 'O' Level passing grade. PRC and ROC exams require about 4,000, and even Japan requires about 2,000.

The issue of proficiency in mother tongue has nothing to do with the issue of which is the national language. It has to do with balance and commitment and maintaining standards.

The same problem happens to our Malay and Indian compatriots too. Most of them are now speaking rojak Melayu or Tamil mixed with English. And ultimately, Singapore is now neither here nor there. The English standard is also ridiculously low, in order to boost passing numbers. A case of shifting goalposts to get goals.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Chinese band wears the flag of their former oppressors and opium dealers and shows black american gangsta rap hand signal.

Misandao.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
preview

The Chinese punk band Overdose performs at Castle Bar in Nanjing, China.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
it is not about who's in charge. i am talking about the population. who is the majority here in spore?

I believe the majority are Singaporeans. What do you think the majority are? You're quite willing to twist and turn aren't you. The argument that you used to justify the use of English in the USA suddenly becomes invalid when applied to Singapore. The descendants of the English are no longer the majority in the USA either. The country is now every bit as "fake" as Singapore is by your standards.

The problem with Singapore is that there are too many lost souls like yourself searching for an identity. I can assure you that looking backwards is not going to help. You need to look forward.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alternatively, you can choose to return to your roots so you don't have to put up with the false facade that you hate. Be careful though. Some countries put on more fake shows than Singapore does.

suppose one walk into a teochew populated village in china. 75 percent are teochew, rest are cantonese. but instead of speaking teochew or cantonese, the whole village, majority of them speak malay... isn't it that a fake, phony malay kampong? THEY ARE TEOCHEW! THEY ARE CANTONESE! WHY ARE THEY ALL SPEAKING MALAY IN A TEOCHEW AND CANTONESE POPULATED VILLAGE??

its fake, its phony, its freakish.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
suppose one walk into a teochew populated village in china. 75 percent are teochew, rest are cantonese. but instead of speaking teochew or cantonese, the whole village, majority of them speak malay... isn't it that a fake, phony malay kampong? THEY ARE TEOCHEW! WHY ARE THEY ALL SPEAKING MALAY IN A TEOCHEW AND CANTONESE POPULATED VILLAGE??

its fake, its phony, its freakish.

The problem with you is that you're being very myopic. You see only a 30km radius and end up with the false impression that ethnic Chinese are the majority. If I sat at a bus stop along Serangoon road, I'd think that the Indians are the majority. It all depends upon what vantage point you choose to view the rest of the world.

Singapore was thrown out of Malaysia in 1963 because of LKY. When LKY goes, the country is not going to remain independent for long. Just take a look at a map of SEA. Do you really believe Singapore is going to exist over the medium to long term? Of course it isn't. It will be swallowed up by the majority of muslim/malays (300 million of them ) who think JUST LIKE YOU!:biggrin: In their minds, those Chinese are the MINORITY.

My advice is to learn Malay. It would be a wise choice for you, your children and your children's children.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with you is that you're being very myopic. You see only a 30km radius and end up with the false impression that ethnic Chinese are the majority. If I sat at a bus stop along Serangoon road, I'd think that the Indians are the majority. It all depends upon what vantage point you choose to view the rest of the world.

Singapore was thrown out of Malaysia in 1963 because of LKY. When LKY goes, the country is not going to remain independent for long. Just take a look at a map of SEA. Do you really believe Singapore is going to exist over the medium to long term? Of course it isn't. It will be swallowed up by the majority of muslim/malays (300 million of them ) who think JUST LIKE YOU!:biggrin: In their minds, those Chinese are the MINORITY.

My advice is to learn Malay. It would be a wise choice for you, your children and your children's children.

Swallow by malays?

lets take a look at penang. its chinese populated island. chinese language, chinese dialect such as cantonese, are alive over there. its not a matter of who rule the place. its about the people whether they have some pride, some affection, love, respect for their language and culture.

if no love no respect for their language and culture, spore is a classic case, an example what will turn out: shitty freakish phony town whereby most of the people (especially the chinese) think the ang moh language is all it is in this world.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
lets take a look at penang. its chinese populated island. chinese language, chinese dialect such as cantonese, are alive over there. its not a matter of who rule the place. its about the people whether they have some pride, some affection, love, respect for their language and culture.

The ethnic Chinese in Penang are mainly Hokkien. The Hokkien they speak is their own brand of the dialect just as Singaporeans have their own brand of Mandarin.

ALL the Chinese in Penang have to learn a common language which is Malay. My advice to Singaporeans is to go down the same road. By all means use your own dialects at home but adopt the National language of Singapore - the Malay language and the language of the Malay Peninsula where Singapore is situated.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ethnic Chinese in Penang are mainly Hokkien. The Hokkien they speak is their own brand of the dialect just as Singaporeans have their own brand of Mandarin.

ALL the Chinese in Penang have to learn a common language which is Malay. My advice to Singaporeans is to go down the same road. By all means use your own dialects at home but adopt the National language of Singapore - the Malay language and the language of the Malay Peninsula where Singapore is situated.

like i said, its not about the national language. the issue is over emphasis on english.

spore could use english as the second langauge and communicate with different races in the society.

but now, the situation is lopsided. its heavily emphasize on english language and treat asian language as dirt. that is uncalled for. that, is a sell out to asian language and culture. 'cause language is the key to culture.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
My final piece of advice to Singaporeans.

Sacrifice a bit of $$ and take the Singapore flyer. When you get to the top, look around you.

Singapore is even smaller than Peesai. It's insignificant. You can see from one end of the Island to the other in both directions. (provided you're not being choked by Indo haze).

Most of the inhabitants have no loyalty to the country. They're behaving like a lost tribe seeking a real homeland but they don't quite know where it lies.

It's a freak country. It won't last long. Make plans now before it's too late. LKY won't last forever despite his own predictions. :p

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
between staying in a society whereby speaking chinese in english is a norm (singlish), and immigrating to ang moh country, i would rather immigrate to the ang moh country where people speak real ang moh language.

why buy fake product? why buy phony product? why pretend, role play as if we are ang moh? why speak in a inefficient way, speaking mandarin or chinese dialect using english? why not speak mandarin or chinese dialect directly?

at least we agree in one thing. singapore is a freakish country.