• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sims Drive Bak Chor Mee

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2FBBF317-4D0B-465E-9FDF-22752EABF03D-21111-000014066B754734.jpg

Jw5, if you can read Chinese, I went this morning again, lol

the begining of the article was about the early location of the stall when the laopek start. first was at "cai chuan tuo", i think clifford pier or boat quay, and then shift to clarke quay before finally move to sims ave market. the current boss took over the stall 8 yrs ago after teh death of his father and was working as a sous chef in a hotel but have no experience in cooking noodles. So the recipe was handled down to him by his mother.

then the article talk about the receipe and what make them special. at the later part of the article, the stallholder mom reflect that her husband started selling glutinous rice, tapioca and yam at the roadside and it was during the 1960s that they started selling teochew kuey tiow soup.

er bro AK, i tot u post it BCM, how come become teochew kuey tiow? not the same u know. i grew up in punggol/hougang, it not the same type of noodle. currently not many teochew kuey tiow stall still operate, IMHO, the best teochew kuey tiow locate at a coffeeshop along hillside drive where zeddy favourite mee rubus stall also in the same coffeeshop.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is the original stall that made minced pork noodle popular in Siglap and there are many copycats of it.

It is at Blk 59, Marine Terrace #01-105

7597733_orig.jpg

321 Mee Pok Kway Teow Mee 11/16/2011
0 Comments

This is a must try for Mee Pok lovers. The original stall started at the back of Siglap Wet Market, some 40+ years ago. It was run by Mr. Lim and his wife. They were later relocated to Jalan Tua Kong. Mr. Lim then started this stall and handed it over to his friend when he went into semi-retirement while his cousins ran the stall at Jalan Tua Kong. Over the years, Mr. Lim took back the stall as his friend had compromised on the quality and his cousin took over the stall. Mr. Lim used to boast sales of about 500 plus bowls a day.
The special thing about this mee pok is that the noodles is very "Q", a Hokkien word, meaning something between crunchy yet soft, and the chilli sauce. Nowadays, most stalls use an inferior quality of mee pok, and they don't change the water, which makes the noodles soggy and sticky. This stall is different. Like I said, the guy who cut corners was fired and the quality reinstated. Besides the fresh ingredients, the secret ingredient in the chilli sauce is what leaves you craving for more.
There is a "Malacca" young tofu stall next to it. The original stall was Fu Ling, which moved next door. The owner then sold it when he suffered a stroke. He then opened a stall at Pahang Street in Kampung Glam, but the quality wasn't quite as good as his original. I believe he may have moved again or retired. This stall is now run by his one-time assistants. According to the original owner, he bought the recipe from his uncle in Malacca for about $90k. It is different from Ampang yong tofu and Hakka yong tofu. This version has a sauce with ground pork. The strange thing is that when I went to Malacca, I couldn't find anything resembling this. Anyway, it is different and is quite tasty, and it goes well with the Mee Pok. There is the usual vegetables stuffed with fish paste also, but we like the deep fried stuff as they are more unusual.
Even though this coffee shop is located in an upper middle class neighbourhood, the drinks are cheaper than most coffee shops in HDB heartland. The kopi peng or iced coffee is fragrant and costs only $1 a glass. There's also a fantastic kway chap stall, which has been around for almost 50years. I'll write about that next time, if my cholesterol level allows.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro, this one?

yah... but stall operator rather stuck up, tellu straight in the face Q beri long, need to wait half an hour.

most of time i got no time to wait so eat mee hoon soto instead. just as well, the meehoon soto also one of the best in spore. very big serving and give whole chicken wing instead of chicken shreds.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yah... but stall operator rather stuck up, tellu straight in the face Q beri long, need to wait half an hour..

Order from his son who is more polite. Sometimes, I will be his first customer for the day. Stall opens at 6.45am. Closed on Mondays. Went there last Sat and Sun. Kpt was closed.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
don't like to queue especially when hungry. i agree, the food from the malay stall quite power

yah... but stall operator rather stuck up, tellu straight in the face Q beri long, need to wait half an hour.

most of time i got no time to wait so eat mee hoon soto instead. just as well, the meehoon soto also one of the best in spore. very big serving and give whole chicken wing instead of chicken shreds.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
will try next time. first serving, is the soup tasty already? for a lot of places, cannot go too early coz the broth still no taste yet

Order from his son who is more polite. Sometimes, I will be his first customer for the day. Stall opens at 6.45am. Closed on Mondays. Went there last Sat and Sun. Kpt was closed.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

so now still closed. that weird, two weeks ago, i went there on two seperate days, the KPT also closed. So closed for two weeks liao. wonder what happen...

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
will try next time. first serving, is the soup tasty already? for a lot of places, cannot go too early coz the broth still no taste yet

Taste ok. Btw, the noodle stall at Lor 29 Geylang and Ah Ter fishball noddle at Telok Ayer hawker centre also not bad. Got fight with Highland Rd.