• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Should I move or not?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you can afford to pay school fees like 50 to 60k ringgint per year for school fees alone, then welcome. That is around 5K Ringgit per month. Such is around sgd 2k per month.

If you can afford that, why not ? If you can't, stick to MOE school in Singapore

Plus enrichment and CCAs, better budget S$3k a month. To be comfortable, household income should be at least S$8k for 1 child attending international school in JB and S$11k for 2 children. I would rather save $2-3k a month on the school fees and build up an investment fund for them when they graduate: S$2k x 12 months x 14 years (pri-school to JC equivalent) = S$336k.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Plus enrichment and CCAs, better budget S$3k a month. To be comfortable, household income should be at least S$8k for 1 child attending international school in JB and S$11k for 2 children. I would rather save $2-3k a month on the school fees and build up an investment fund for them when they graduate: S$2k x 12 months x 14 years (pri-school to JC equivalent) = S$336k.

You are right. I just now saw the article from Straits Time, expat are sending their child to study in JB edu city. BTW, these schools are cater for expats. They have the budget and the means because their company are paying for it. For individual local Singaporean , it is better to stick to MOE school.

BTW, education for child stresses on parents too. My child is attending local school in Singapore. We have a part whereby students has to do a short presentation in front of a class in both Chinese and English Language. This is to learnt soft skills, other then the academic skills. My wife was drilling her for the weekend for this. I feel so stressful for my child.

if a person can afford to spend 3K sgd per month just on education alone per child, i think they are quite well off. It the quality of life they are thinking.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
What type of education do you really get from International school compared to Government schools?
Speaking from the point of a parent, my daughter is currently in year 10 of Fairview International school doing IB sylllabus. Kids in these schools are taught more of a thinker and applying what they learn in classes into everyday life.. They travel to overseas every year to do community work and trying to learn from history and cultural background from places like Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Beijing, Phillippines and of course Malaysia like Taman Negara, Mulu caves, Outward bound schools, etc. I would say they are taught to think and reason for themselves. They do a lot of research on internet and come up with their own take on topics like communism, racial discrimination, pollution, etc as early as Year 8. Those topics are beyond me as I was the old schooled ones.
Parents beware. These kids are rebellious, challenging you at every turn and they are taught to think and reason. They would not take things lying down as they are told. Yes, I vomit blood at times....but in the end, the school fees are worth the trouble, me think. Big culture shock for those parents who went through the traditional government school system.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i've found one international school which is quite near to east ledang and their fees are reasonable too. any feedbacks from parents?

http://www.tenby.edu.my/setia-eco-gardens/school-fees

I saw a EL resident's post about starting a biz of executive transport from Nusajaya to Sg. He/She was requesting for feedback from residents via a survey or something. I guess even if there isn't any of such a service now, it's just a matter of time someone will start this for residents in Nusajaya. Have you explored that?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
What type of education do you really get from International school compared to Government schools?
Speaking from the point of a parent, my daughter is currently in year 10 of Fairview International school doing IB sylllabus. Kids in these schools are taught more of a thinker and applying what they learn in classes into everyday life.. They travel to overseas every year to do community work and trying to learn from history and cultural background from places like Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Beijing, Phillippines and of course Malaysia like Taman Negara, Mulu caves, Outward bound schools, etc. I would say they are taught to think and reason for themselves. They do a lot of research on internet and come up with their own take on topics like communism, racial discrimination, pollution, etc as early as Year 8. Those topics are beyond me as I was the old schooled ones.
Parents beware. These kids are rebellious, challenging you at every turn and they are taught to think and reason. They would not take things lying down as they are told. Yes, I vomit blood at times....but in the end, the school fees are worth the trouble, me think. Big culture shock for those parents who went through the traditional government school system.

Certainly there are benefits to the non-MOE approach, provided you can afford :wink: For me, I prefer MOE schools for the value for money education, although it is stressful.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

What's your child opinion of yr investment in PH? Please share :biggrin:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

These are the things we need to learn and should be taught in School of Singapore. If we can't reason and think for ourselves, i think we have lost the edge to others.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the things we need to learn and should be taught in School of Singapore. If we can't reason and think for ourselves, i think we have lost the edge to others.

In Singapore students are taught WHAT to think, not HOW to think.:wink:

In fact, maybe they aren't thought to think at all!:eek:

Or maybe think in a certain fashion only. For example, if don't use modeling for maths then lose out.

linus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I saw a EL resident's post about starting a biz of executive transport from Nusajaya to Sg. He/She was requesting for feedback from residents via a survey or something. I guess even if there isn't any of such a service now, it's just a matter of time someone will start this for residents in Nusajaya. Have you explored that?

I guess for me is either, Spore school spore home or JB school JB home as it really defeat the whole purpose moving to jb yet attending Spore school. cant imagine the travelling time, cca, tuitions etc. maybe experienced parents can share how to cope

Certainly there are benefits to the non-MOE approach, provided you can afford :wink: For me, I prefer MOE schools for the value for money education, although it is stressful.
I agree MOE schools are most value for money, in fact its free. International school only if one can afford comfortably otherwise it will add financial strain to the parents. so either way there are stress whether it fall on the kids or parents haha

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore students are taught WHAT to think, not HOW to think.:wink:

In fact, maybe they aren't thought to think at all!:eek:

Or maybe think in a certain fashion only. For example, if don't use modeling for maths then lose out.

What do you think? :rolleyes:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I guess for me is either, Spore school spore home or JB school JB home as it really defeat the whole purpose moving to jb yet attending Spore school. cant imagine the travelling time, cca, tuitions etc. maybe experienced parents can share how to cope.

I see it as taking advantage of the best that both countries offer, good and affordable education in Sg, good and affordable luxury living in Nusajaya.

For the commute, make use of it as an opportunity to teach your children that they have to put in effort to get/earn things in life, that includes education and even a simple meal they get daily without effort. Teach them that these things are not given free in life. Teach them not to be complacent and not to take things they have for granted, as if they drop from the sky.

If there's a transport from your doorstep in Nusajaya to Sg directly, that's already a luxury compared to many unfortunate children in this world, can't say that it's hardship. With the loss of 2 hours on commute everyday, teach them to make better use of the balance, yet sufficient, time they have daily. One hour well spent is a hundred times better than 3 hours wasted at home. Moreover, they can also use the commute time to read books in comfort so we can't say that the 2 hrs are wasted, in fact better used.

Last edited:

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see it as taking advantage of the best that both countries offer, good and affordable education in Sg, good and affordable luxury living in Nusajaya.

For the commute, make use of it as an opportunity to teach your children that they have to put in effort to get/earn things in life, that includes education and even a simple meal they get daily without effort. Teach them that these things are not given free in life. Teach them not to be complacent and not to take things they have for granted, as if they drop from the sky.

If there's a transport from your doorstep in Nusajaya to Sg directly, that's already a luxury compared to many unfortunate children in this world, can't say that it's hardship. With the loss of 2 hours on commute everyday, teach them to make better use of the balance, yet sufficient, time they have daily. One hour well spent is a hundred times better than 3 hours wasted at home. Moreover, they can also use the commute time to read books in comfort so we can't say that the 2 hrs are wasted, in fact better used.

good point . kids nowadays are really spoilt. How to compete when they grow up ?

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
House in East Ledang will be ready by this year. still contemplating as to whether I should itchy backside move or not? I guess my only concern is my child's education, as he will be entering P1 next year so need to decide soon. should I send them to Malaysia or Singapore school?

I will be facing the same dilemma if I get my state consent for my Austin Height semi d. Keen to stay in Jb and rent out my Sg properties, a terrace and a MM for passive income and send my sons to Austin Height international school right at my doorstep. Their fees are quite reasonable about S$700 per month for both my sons one in kindergarten and the other in primary standard. Hope to be able to retire there as cannot stand the commute either. Problem is hubby prefers Sg school.

If you r going to work in Sg , then I suppose you can fetch your children to Sg school since it is on the way?

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will be facing the same dilemma if I get my state consent for my Austin Height semi d. Keen to stay in Jb and rent out my Sg properties, a terrace and a MM for passive income and send my sons to Austin Height international school right at my doorstep. Their fees are quite reasonable about S$700 per month for both my sons one in kindergarten and the other in primary standard. Hope to be able to retire there as cannot stand the commute either.

If you r going to work in Sg , then I suppose you can fetch your children to Sg school since it is on the way?

If I have passive income like you derived from Singapore properties, I will happily go into early retirement mode, or semi-retirement mode and stay in JB. Then work flexi-hours that does not require me to be metal sardine during peak periods.