• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 100 Year-Old Outram Sec Banished To Faraway Slumkang! Swimming Pool Confiscated! Ex Alumi Flabbergasted!!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
screenshot_846.png

SINGAPORE: Some Outram Secondary School alumni are saddened by the school's move out of its current York Hill compound in two years’ time, but others are hopeful that the school spirit will live on.

The school, founded in 1906, will be relocating to a new campus in Anchorvale Crescent in Sengkang in 2026, to cater to the higher demand for secondary school places in the north-east area, the Ministry of Education (MOE) said on Jan 16.

Outram Secondary has been a prominent landmark at York Hill, after moving from its original premises in Outram Road in 1968.

NO MORE SWIMMING POOL AT NEW CAMPUS
With a swimming pool on its premises, it has seen its fair share of water sports athletes since the facility was completed and opened in 1977.

Outram Secondary School principal Keith Tan said the school has always been committed to a well-rounded education.

“With the opening of the swimming pool in the 70s, we have grown many batches of swimmers and water polo athletes. And in recent years, we have also built a niche in rock climbing,” he added.

These facilities gave students the opportunity to pursue their athletic passions while studying. With the move to Sengkang, it also means leaving behind the swimming pool.

Mr Tan noted that the experiences students have are integral to their common identity, adding that the school will be setting up a heritage space at its new location.

screenshot_849.png

Some former students and parents expressed sadness about the move.

“It is a shame because after shifting, I think it will change the environment a little bit,” said former student Luke Goh, who graduated in 2018.

“It has over 100 years of history. So I think the attitude towards sports and extra-curriculars could change, but we'll have to see.”

Another former student Ari Zulhakim, who graduated from the school two years ago, said: “(When) I read the news that Outram was moving to Sengkang, I was actually quite flabbergasted. Because every part of this school is very iconic, every student must have good memories.”

Parent Zarina Razali, who sent all three of her sons to Outram Secondary School was shocked by the move.

“It's very sad actually. In fact, I was from Sengkang. So for the last 10 years (since 2012) I've been driving from Sengkang to Outram, Outram to Sengkang. The only thing that I'm gonna miss is, really, the pool. My children have been representing the school (and) swimming for the school.”

SCHOOL SPIRIT WILL LIVE ON
MOE said while Outram Secondary is an “established school with strong educational programmes, the school is located in a mature area where demand for secondary school places is falling”.

Some alumni believe the school’s relocation is for the better.

Old Outramians' Association Chairperson Erwin Tan, who is from the Class of 1996, said: “The cohort has been on a steady decline for the last decade. I was very worried about a merger or closure.

“So with this announcement that we will be relocating to Sengkang, I think it's a good thing. The Outramian spirit will continue to live on. So I'm very glad about that.”

School Advisory Committee Chairperson Regina Chong, who is from the Class of 1993, added that it will be a new chapter for the school.

“This chapter will actually benefit the students who will be going to Outram Secondary School. Every generation of Outramians have their own chapter and fond memories of the school,” she added.

To minimise disruption to students, the school will not be admitting new Secondary 1 students in 2025. It will begin accepting new Secondary 1 students from 2026 at its Sengkang campus.

Outram Secondary will operate two campuses until 2027, when the last batch of Secondary 4 students at the York Hill campus graduates.

Before the school moves out of York Hill in two years’ time, teachers and students will open up a time capsule that was sealed in 2006 with items from the school's rich history.

Former students who are now teachers at the school are optimistic about the move.

Teacher Dawa Sherpa, who is from the Class of 2001, said: “I think that the Outram spirit continues to live. Even though it's in a different place, it can still stand on its own.”

Another teacher Ismath Banu, who graduated from the school in 2003, said: “The school reminded me that it's never about individual success. Our success is really a result of the community helping us.”

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...-nostalgia-school-relocation-sengkang-4064696

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 80s, there were some really gorgeous looking chiobus from that school. Gurmit Singh was from there.

nabeifuckpap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sengkang lol good luck overcrowded slum look at their MRT station every morning worst one together with Serangoon and Bishan 3 major clusterfucks

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
What Sengkang and Punggol needs is a ITE Poly or JC. For 30 years, there is no Pre-U education in this area, every morning kids travel en-masse to Yio Chu Kang, Tampines and Potong Pasir to study.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Outram will decline in Sengkang. There is already a good school Nan Chiau in that area and many average ones. Sengkang is like a mature estate now, hardly any new HDB except fernvale area, ,served by Pei Hwa.

Outram should move to Punggol hahaha

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What Sengkang and Punggol needs is a ITE Poly or JC. For 30 years, there is no Pre-U education in this area, every morning kids travel en-masse to Yio Chu Kang, Tampines and Potong Pasir to study.

PAP is setting up a university in Punggol. PAP hears you.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP is setting up a university in Punggol. PAP hears you.

I was refering to Pre-U education, the NE is not ideal for families with older kids. We have so many 2 x JC in Bukit Timah, 2 x JC in Bishan, they don't dare to shift one to Northeast. It is systematic way to marginalize the lower-income.

As for the the university that you are refering to, it is dumping ground. After completion, it will still depend on resources and facilities in various polytechnics. They are not serious about it.

They are also building an special education school in the outskirts of punggol. (not just in punggol, it is the outskirts of punggol). Again, it says a lot about Punggol being a dumping ground. Families with special kids are having a difficult time, can't they build it in a better location?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sengkang and punggol needed a branded secondary , JC and branded University there.

Outram sec is a medicore sec school.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reason to move the outram school to sengkang is to make way for condo and developers , isn't it very obvious ?

They can't bully the rich in bukit timah, but they can ask the poorer school like outram to move to outskirt area.

ODACHEK

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun remember my school got any swimming pools, this school must be run by abnns living in bunglows...

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
only in singapore schools get shifted here and there and their names no longer reflect their location. Outram Sec is in Sengkang, River Valley is in Boon Lay. Can you imagine Oxford Uni is shifted to Edinburgh?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the Turf Club isn't spared, it's hardly surprising that this historic school isn't spared either. Have you noticed the developments near that place recently? :wink:

1) A totalitarian regime needs to constantly build-demolish-rebuild things to grow the economy.
2) PAP technocrats are the greatest destroyers of nature and heritage, but love to pretend to be champions of conserving them.
3) PAP technocrats know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
only in singapore schools get shifted here and there and their names no longer reflect their location. Outram Sec is in Sengkang, River Valley is in Boon Lay. Can you imagine Oxford Uni is shifted to Edinburgh?

Once upon a time River Valley school was located at the Pandan Gardens area, near the Jurong Town Hall Rd junction. I know that because some of my primary school mates went there after PSLE, and one time we were invited to go there for an event.

Today that place is Commonwealth Secondary School.

https://www.commonwealthsec.moe.edu.sg

1991_257.jpg