• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Setia Eco Cascadia

Organic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Down slope is acceptable to me but not diagonal slope for car-porch.

On aesthetics, it makes the building look slanted and uncomfortable when you walk in from the gate. On safety, if the parking brake is not fully engaged or the driver careless forgets to step on the brake, the car will just roll. When the metal gate is installed, there will be a bigger gap at one side upon closing, which might allow intruders or strays to come in.

From the landed properties I have seen in MY and SG so far, all the car porches are either flat or slightly sloping down (to allow drainage and for some landed properties on higher ground), so this is really the first time I see a diagonal slope.

Hmm...bro, I do not quite agree. The slant at the car porch may give you illusion that the buliding is slanted but in actual fact the unit itself is not. If you never seen it in MY and SG, how about those on screens? You see you are watch a large house with a long drive way before their house, the drive way is slanted left to right, front to back, any problem?. On the parking on slanted porch issue, my SIN house is on a small hill, which I would say has about 30° slope slant. I never see anyone that is that careless that had their cars rolled down the hill over the last few decades. I have no idea if this slant issue will cause a bigger gap of one side of the metal gate, let's see how it goes. To me it is not a concern if it does allow intruders or strays to get into, as SEC has an individual wall of 1m high :wink:

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm...bro, I do not quite agree. The slant at the car porch may give you illusion that the buliding is slanted but in actual fact the unit itself is not. If you never seen it in MY and SG, how about those on screens? You see you are watch a large house with a long drive way before their house, the drive way is slanted left to right, front to back, any problem?. On the parking on slanted porch issue, my SIN house is on a small hill, which I would say has about 30° slope slant. I never see anyone that is that careless that had their cars rolled down the hill over the last few decades. I have no idea if this slant issue will cause a bigger gap of one side of the metal gate, let's see how it goes. To me it is not a concern if it does allow intruders or strays to get into, as SEC has an individual wall of 1m high :wink:

Yes, the unit is definitely not, probably the photo exaggerates it. Except for this one, the units beside it seem to be good, so it is up to the owner whether he/she is okay with it :wink:

Organic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the unit is definitely not, probably the photo exaggerates it. Except for this one, the units beside it seem to be good, so it is up to the owner whether he/she is okay with it :wink:

Opps....I may be the owner :eek: Shhhh...cannot tell you :biggrin:

You view maybe different if you see the whole row :wink:

Last edited:

cannondale

Alfrescian
Loyal
have yet to receive any reply regarding the gathering. Will wait a few more days to see if anyone keen to meet. Or if anyone is organizing one, pls count me in :smile:

Kam Sia!

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal

You should bluntly say is a major defect. Who the hell would accept this kind of car porch? Clearly site supervisor sleep on job! To be frank, this is also the first time I see a diagonal slope too.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
A great piece of points and well penned out comments! Sadly, the joker with limited intellect would not be able to/refused to catch what you are trying to educate him. His intentions are so freaking obvious to selectively target only Setia or EW. Read his posts and you know what a flip flop he is on these 2 developers and their developments. His posts are truly biased until he can provide similar critics on other developers/developments. Don't tell me there are no workmanship or quality or design issues with the rest. From here, you can tell what agenda he has. Just ignore or yawn at his posts in order to tame his distorted ego. If you guys keep replying his posts, it only breeds a fallacy in him that he is right on his points and further encouraged him to spread junk in this forum and the worst is many less informed forummers here may be spooked by him without knowing or finding out more about what's really happening. Read how many bros had clashed with him and only him (oops, not including his personally created clones like highflyer/relaxman) in this forum! Believe in the majority rules. We don't need this guy here simply put.

Those rotten "Shit" had been on my ignored for awhile & guess what? It's a breath of fresh air.
It's a forum. Shit & Trolls happens to be part of the community. Just ignore them.
Let them lay/pass their own shit & eat it as well.

LOL
Peace.
:biggrin::wink::cool:

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err....May I know what's wrong with the slant? So long that the foundation of the house does not go wrong, I see no issue on the slant at the car porch. If you see clearly, the slant goes smoothly from left to the right most of the picture which has little part of the last unit. Roads come with slant that will have problem? :smile:

Actually, I still don't know what slant you guys are talking about.
Isn't it just a parallax angle ? You tilt the camera a bit and it will appear slant.

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys, OK, A bit of "sell koyok" from iproperty but still, a pertinent reminder of why strata titled G&G is gaining ground here in Johor with SEC and Ecoworld's projects over at tebrau side. (I have removed the some paras of the article here and there for brevity's sake).

http://www.iproperty.com.my/news/9538/a-small-price-for-gated-and-guarded-serenity

The rising number of gated and guarded communities in Malaysia bears testament to the willingness of homeowners today to pay for the assurance of living in a safe and secure environment.
Posted Date: Nov 28, 2014
By: iProperty.com

" < deleted front portion >

The Emergence of Gated and Guarded Residences
Property developers, having recognised the need to give security the highest priority when planning residential areas, first introduced the concept of guarded homes with their early condominium projects. The security services of condominiums then primarily focused on keeping trespassers from entering the condominium grounds and using its facilities. However, as criminal activities grew increasingly rampant, the concept of guarded homes became a serious consideration for property developers. Many initially provided security services for newly completed housing estates but the administrative costs of sustaining these services became prohibitive especially as homeowners were then not yet open to the idea of having to pay additional fees for this feature.
With rise of affluence and lifestyle changes however, many Malaysians have come to realise the importance of minimising the risk of becoming victims of robberies and break-ins. The introduction of the first Gated and Guarded (G&G) residences in the mid-90s was well accepted. Initially, these developments constituted well-planned housing estates which were enclosed within a perimeter wall and fully guarded by security personnel. Innovative developers also came up with the single entrance-exit point element as a further deterrent to potential criminal threats. The facilitation of protective barriers and amenities such as garbage collection and landscaping were all managed either by the developer or outsourced to a third party at an additional monthly fee.

As the concept gained acceptance among house owners plagued by fears of rising crime rates, property developers began to realise the opportunities this sector provided for growth. They began expanding the G&G concept by enhancing the security and protection offered with other up-market lifestyle elements. G&G developments were soon positioned as private, exclusive and secure residences for the elite.

Addressing Needs beyond Security
Facilities which were then only available with condominium living were made available within G&G developments to complement the primary function of protected homes. Recreational clubs with facilities such as swimming pools, tennis courts and gymnasiums became very much a part of the G&G lifestyle. In fact, many G&G residences have been constructed as extensions of golf courses in response to the lifestyle needs of the affluent of today. G&G residences also boast lovely landscaped grounds, well-planned roads, scenic lakes and parks as well as public entertainment and hospitality areas. Community living in G&G developments is promoted through structured activities which bring residents together based on common interests.

The basic function of security has also been taken to the next level at newer G&G developments. Sophisticated security features which use state-of-the-art technology complement the standard services of supervised accessibility, sentry guards and regular patrolling. Additionally, 24-hour CCTV surveillance and home alarm systems are now seen as staples of G&G developments. Like condominium projects, these developments also offer strata titled ownerships with the costs for the provision of the additional facilities being packaged into the purchase price of the property while monthly fees are collected for the funding of their maintenance and service delivery.

Property Developers at the Forefront
Leaders in the property market have seen much value in the development of G&G residences which has provided an opportunity for the reinvention of landed living areas that promise a more wholesome lifestyle. Key industry players at the forefront of G&G developments include UEM Sunrise Berhad, Sunsuria Development Sdn Bhd, Tropicana Corporation Berhad, EcoWorld Development Group, Mah Sing Group Berhad, SP Setia Berhad, Sime Darby Berhad, IJM Land Berhad, Seri Pajam Development Sdn Bhd, Hua Yang Berhad, IOI Properties Group Berhad, Andaman Group, MK Land Holdings Berhad and MKH Berhad.

Having also recognised this same trend, the government has seen to it that several affordable housing projects under the 1Malaysia Housing Programme (PR1MA) have also been made into G&G developments. One such example is PR1MA @ Seremban Sentral, a high-rise development comprising 3,196 units spread across 20.36 acres of land in Seremban City, Negeri Sembilan.

While these G&G developments have helped set and reflect new industry standards in residential living, the G&G concept has even extended to commercial properties with many new commercial developments offering the latest in smart security features as well as recreational facilities catering to the wellbeing of the people in the business and working segments of the projects. Slowly but surely, G&G commercial developments are beginning to change the traditional concepts of commercial spaces.

In the last decade, more and more developers have incorporated security features and other lifestyle facilities into their properties in order to enhance their value. Everything ranging from the most basic protection services to the most sophisticated top-end luxurious lifestyle features are being made available to discerning property owners at different price ranges. G&G developments have certainly contributed to a shift in the landed property landscape as industry players grapple with issues such market competitiveness, the rising cost of building materials and consumer demands for better features at affordable prices.

Today, the G&G development concept has evolved into an aspirational lifestyle. It is representative of status, prestige, exclusivity, privacy and most importantly a secure and safe working and living environments. The developments are seen as self-contained havens which residents are proud to call their homes or workplaces. They offer an attractive proposition at a cost that those who can afford have no qualms about paying for. However, the challenge is for property developers to make G&G living accessible to a wider population especially as rising crime rates become a major concern and the hectic city life calls for homes and workplaces in environments where people can enjoy a quality lifestyle.

Last edited:

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I still don't know what slant you guys are talking about.
Isn't it just a parallax angle ? You tilt the camera a bit and it will appear slant.

Still in denial mode? Why not you try to tilt the pic....once the car porch seems flat...the roof will be seen slanted! either way! Maybe you should go and have a look at site. They are many examples there. Some slant to the left....some slant to the right. Is really according to the "original" slope. 1st time i see such feature. Thanks to the innovative developer. Just accept it and move on. If you wanted to hang on to your unit, just pray that you unit is a normal one. No need to worry much.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Latest update on the flood at Setia Indah.

SP Setia management was called yesterday to see Datuk Bandar to discuss ways to solve flooding problem at Setia Indah and its surrounding area. Mr. Nur Mohd Fairus, Project Manager SP Setia are ask to cooperate with MBJB to ensure such incident can be prevented in future. The MP of Tebrau was also there. Why only SP Setia project manager was called and not other developers? There will be more and more rain in the next two months. Lets see if SP Setia is serious on this.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys, OK, A bit of "sell koyok" from iproperty but still, a pertinent reminder of why strata titled G&G is gaining ground here in Johor with SEC and Ecoworld's projects over at tebrau side. (I have removed the some paras of the article here and there for brevity's sake).

These new generations of G&G are attractive indeed, but the downside is the developer bundling their lost of profit into the selling price and owners' future maintenance fee. The strata and individual titles are not so critical anymore. I have appended a related article that reflects on this growing trend.

On a side note, there are very few G&G launches this year. A good launch is Eco Botanic phase 2 in Q1 2015 that I asked my friend to place a cheque for a cluster semi-D. Phase 2 is further from the HTC and RM has weakened badly, so I expect demand to be high although pricing is $1.3 mil RM before discount.

Triple GG&G developments in vogue
Posted on September 30, 2014 | 1964 views | Topic : Investment.
By YVONNE YOONG

[email protected]

FIRST, there was the 2G (second-generation) smartphones, then came a succession of 3G (third-generation) followed by a wave of 4G, 5G and even more sophisticated new generation smartphones outdoing the technological features of its previous generations.

Likewise, what was once known as gated and guarded (G&G) developments are now considered passé due to an emergence of what I would coin as the triple Green, Gated and Guarded (GG&G) enclaves that are a green rating above the competition.

Tracing Malaysia’s love affair with the G&G concept mooted some 10 years ago when developers wanted to sell this “new alternative lifestyle for the bigger community as a whole”, GreenRE executive director James Chua said that the new trend points to the green equation of already successful G&G developments.

“G&G areas usually comprise an external wall backed by security system whereby CCTV (close circuit television) and community living exist with maximised security features.

“In 2008, G&G developments emerged in Iskandar Malaysia to enable residents to have a more peaceful state of mind due to Johor’s crime rate problem back then. G&G enclaves are getting more and more popular because of the lifestyle that people want – which is gated – and the prestige that comes with privacy,” he said, adding that green is also now the new equation for GG&G to flourish in response to strong market demand.

Chua said that the idea of G&G enclaves is nothing new as this concept dates back to ancient times – with its tales of gates and walls which were built around communities. He related that the Hakka people, being a nomadic community and tribe in China, used to travel frequently and live around a circle or courtyard in the middle that became their community centre. Even the history of the Great Wall of China, with its imposing barricade of walls, could be considered an early civilisation form of G&G – constructed to keep its inhabitants safe and secure while fending off invaders from conquering China.

Besides China, Chua said that even in parts of Europe – the concept of G&G enclaves was prevalent. Although appearing new today, G&G developments have come full circle and emerged in the guise of a fresh and feasible alternative lifestyle option.

“G&G is going through a life cycle. Life is like a cycle, and again, people are going back to the old lifestyle. Just like fashion where people go through the trends and fashion styles to again repeat what had been done before,” he added.

Green G&G developments are in

“There is, however, a noticeable trend of new residential GG&G projects that not only offer safety and security features, but also generously landscaped entrance statements and other green features. Hence, green and sustainable concepts now tend to accompany new GG&G developments.

“People see GG&G developments as being part of sustainability as they feel secure living in well-built houses accompanied by safe and secure features within a good green and gated environment. There are indeed more green rated GG&G projects skewered towards achieving sustainability and social security,” he observed.

Chua though cautioned on the downsides that come with this concept, including the fact that residents staying in G&G communities tend to be excluded from the rest of society.

“G&G developments tend to be inclusive for the residents since they are the privileged few guarded within the development. So, from an emotional perspective, people feel good and secure,” he said of the benefits of peace of mind and security as key factors contributing to the popularity and demand for G&G.

“Although the new trend is witnessing people wanting to live in GG&G enclaves, they have become inclusive in wanting to be given more private spaces. This is the new lifestyle as money is no longer an issue for many. They don’t just want a roof over their heads, but a lifestyle within a GG&G development. In the end, people may become introverted and won’t be able to merge with the rest of society,” he said.

He added that more upscale GG&G neighbourhoods are benefiting from the new trend which is witnessing extensive landscape and sustainable features emerging as seen in the entrance statements, communal walkways and public areas which address the residents’ needs for privacy, lifestyle and security while giving them green lungs within the community to interact and foster good ties.

GG&G community at Ken Rimba

A proponent of the green movement in Malaysia, Ken Holdings Bhd group managing director Sam Tan is also the Rehda Youth chairman who helps to fervently champion GreenRE initiatives and other green measures.

Implementing a sustainable GG&G township has not been an easy task for this developer but the group is already reaping the success from its 60 acres (24.28ha) of sprawling green enclave, which is further divided into smaller community precincts in the Ken Rimba freehold township in Shah Alam.

The Ken Rimba township comprising landed Legian Residences, Jimbaran Residences and Ken Rimba Condominium 1 and 2 are testimonies of the GG&G concept.

“We want to walk the talk. The parcels within the overall master plan have different entry and exit points in the individual precincts so there is no thoroughfare. The Ken Rimba Commercial Centre is the centrepoint of Ken Rimba which is surrounded by Legian Residences, Jimbaran Residences, Ken Rimba Condominium 1 and 2 while a commercial hotel parcel will soon be built.

“I consider our development in Ken Rimba an organic growth area for the long term. What is important for us as developers is to create value. Legian Residences’ terrace units have a Building and Construction Authority (BCA) Green Mark Gold rating while Jimbaran Residences is credited with a BCA Green Mark Gold Plus, making it the highest green rated landed residential units in the country.”

Tan shared that the latter project has just been upgraded with solar water transmitted to the kitchen and all the washroom areas. His belief in the green GG&G Ken Rimba township has been rewarded with prices of properties here escalating over the years.

“Most of the purchasers at Ken Rimba are first time buyers who have just settled down. In 2010, a 20ft x 65ft Legian Residences unit with a built-up of 1,800sq ft was sold for about RM380,000. Today, this unit is worth RM650,000 on a subsale transaction.

“The two-storey Jimbaran Residences units which come with a loft is larger than the Legian Residences. All of Jimbaran Residences’ intermediate units priced at RM610,000 per unit have been sold,” he said.

Championing close communities

A burning question in many G&G communities is how to encourage a sense of Malaysians coming together in unity when crime is happening rampantly.

Many are asking what can be done in this chicken-or-egg situation and how to bridge the gap between the haves and the have-nots.

“In trying to address this situation, we have water features, a playground and a basketball court in a park accessible for the Ken Rimba community. I think these features are important for the residents to promote a sense of community living,” he enthused. Putting in place another tall order, Tan, in championing Rehda Youth’s national and state policies said that he wants to encourage his fellow developers to think sustainably and green.

“This has actually changed the industry a bit as Malaysia is the first and only country in the world in which an NGO (non-governmental organisation) like Rehda has taken the initiative to lead the green initiative and to champion sustainability for developments.

“Singapore’s green initiative is championed by its Government through the BCA which has set in place various mandatory green requirements for the buildings there. Here, developers feel that promoting green features add value to their developments while giving them a marketing edge – besides taking pride in the knowledge that they are ‘doing the right thing’,” he maintained.

Tan said that developers have different objectives for going green – be it to voluntarily reduce carbon emissions, obtain green ratings or to have more choices that are relevant to today’s building context. Some developers believe that adopting the GreenRE rating promoted by Rehda (Real Estate and Housing Developers’ Association) will help them to obtain cost savings in the long run.

“Developers are nation builders. They construct all the buildings in the country. However, the green rating system is not mandated in Malaysia. Many relate to green buildings as being expensive and say they cannot afford to purchase homes anymore,” said Tan.

Set to debunk the myth of green burning a hole in the wallet, he said that his Ken Rimba Condominium 1 which is within a gated community is still competitively priced – even given today’s steadily soaring property prices.

“Many say going green is expensive but the freehold units at Ken Rimba Condominium 1 are priced from RM357 per sq ft. We wanted to present an opportunity for young families and individuals to live in a secure GG&G community so we made sure that we are able to offer affordable pricing to them.”

Located just off the Federal Highway, and connected to the KTM (Keretapi Tanah Melayu) station, he said residents staying here can take the train directly to KL Sentral to work, which is less that 1km away.

To date, 97% of its first block units have been sold while the second block of the condominium units have recorded about 80% sales.

In a month or so, the next tower block will be launched. Drawing a comparison to its early Ken Damansara project with a maintenance fee pegged at 23 sen per sq ft when it was first launched, he said that Ken Rimba Condominium 1’s maintenance fee is set at 24 sen per sq ft. Ken Rimba Condominium 1 units with a built-up area of 1,119sq ft onwards comes with dual certification.

A 50-metre (164ft) swimming pool complements the condominium and acts as an extension of sorts fronting the super-link pool villas of the Ken Rimba Condominium 1 units.

“We are, at the moment, still the highest green-rated developer in the country. The highest Green Mark rating is held by us for Ken Bangsar in Kuala Lumpur,” shared Tan.

Putting green measures in place

“In building a community, it is important, to consider the small details of the project, which we did for the residents at Ken Rimba. We want to promote community living and interaction at the precinct levels so that the larger picture sees a gathering of the residents at large taking care of themselves.”

Recognising that the right framework put in place is crucial, basic but often overlooked details to make the residents’ lifestyle conducive such as the free use of about 50 bicycles within the vicinity that come complete with mounted baskets enable the community to shop and bring home their groceries while walking the green talk.

“The GG&G concept is important to us and we choose to be there for the buyers. These daily activities can create and foster a sense of community living,” affirmed Tan of the spirit of volunteerism within the community.

“One of the measures we took to ensure sustainability was to create a legal framework with the implementation of a Deed of Mutual Covenant between us and the buyer. This is a separate contract stating that each owner needs to seek the management’s consent before selling the property.”

Tan said that the transfer of the property from an existing purchaser to a new sub-sale buyer will be made if the arrears have been cleared and if house rules have not been compromised.

Likewise, a sub-sale buyer would have to sign the same deed.

“We made clear regulations on this prior to them buying. I explained to the buyers that if they wanted to stay within a safe GG&G surrounding, everyone had to do their part by paying the arrears and observing the house rules to maintain the security and pristine condition within Ken Rimba.”

Tan said that many G&G concepts failed because of insufficient funds to ensure high-quality security and maintenance, and this is due to lack of enforcement towards those who do not pay the monthly fees.

“By taking this bold step, we made sure that residents in Ken Rimba are able to enjoy living in a safe and sustainable eco-system.”

In reflection, he said the move was ambitious, as developers usually, having sold the units and transferred the title over to the buyers, feel they have done their job and fulfilled their responsibility. Having this commitment to ensure the long-term sustainability of Ken Rimba’s GG&G as a whole, he persevered.

The results have been worth it as the township has yielded handsome results in a responsible green community.

“I want to ensure that not only the developer – but the development too – is successful. This is what we’ve done for our Legian Residences and Jimbaran Residences in our GG&G township.

“People like what we have done. It may seem onerous on the front but this has helped build a community. We need to take care of the guards and the community,” he concluded.

The successful model developed for Legian Residences has seen 70% of the 328 units being occupied. All of the Jimbaran Residences intermediate units are sold, with only corner lots left of the 168 overall units.

Residents at Legian Residences pay RM100 per month for maintenance fees. Those at the more upmarket Jimbaran Residences which has half the number of units of the former development, pay RM200 as maintenance fees.

http://www.starproperty.my/index.php/articles/investment/triple-ggg-developments-in-vogue/