• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't know what i wrote early this morning, must be the beer talking. yeah, in response to snowbird.. actually the solar tint does block out sun radiation. and curtains do block out sun rays, hence no radiation transmission. in fact, air is a poor conductor of heat, heat is mainly transmitted into the house via radiation. another example is your car under the hot sun. keep stuff in the boot (where there is no window / no radiation) is better than leaving it in the front seat of the car.

When the interior of the house gets very hot from the sun's direct rays is because of greenhouse effect.
When the sun's rays heats up the windows and walls, the heat is transfer by thermal radiation into the room. Curtains and any fixtures nearer to the windows absorb all this heat and when the room get cooler in early evening, the heat is release which is why when you return early evening, the room is still very warm despite the sun already set.
Your example of the heat in the car is exactly the result of greenhouse effect.
Solar film offers effective deflection of the sunlight but after an hour direct sunlight, the glass panels continue to get heated up, thermal radiation take place.
Also, please take note that solar films has a very short life span of 4-5 years and needs to be replaced for effectiveness. However, solar film does reduce sun glaring and some protection to curtain colour fading.
To reduce the greenhouse effect, try not to close all the windows, leave some top-hung windows slightly open to allow ventilation to let the hot air dissipate out when the day get cooler.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
front of house face north or east. that's normally where the master room and hall (with the big sliding doors) are. (this is for DST).

I look at my valuation report also cannot tell which direction my house front is facing. Anyway I hoot the armour shield glass film from Persada but did not get the tinted version. Save about RM3000 by sticking to clear film and only doing for 2nd and 3rd floor. Will rely on curtains to do the trick. For ground floor will use SS304 grilles and doors. Total damage should be about RM15000 maybe lesser. Tuesday getting vendors to do site visit amd provide accurate quotes.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the interior of the house gets very hot from the sun's direct rays is because of greenhouse effect.
When the sun's rays heats up the windows and walls, the heat is transfer by thermal radiation into the room. Curtains and any fixtures nearer to the windows absorb all this heat and when the room get cooler in early evening, the heat is release which is why when you return early evening, the room is still very warm despite the sun already set.
Your example of the heat in the car is exactly the result of greenhouse effect.
Solar film offers effective deflection of the sunlight but after an hour direct sunlight, the glass panels continue to get heated up, thermal radiation take place.
Also, please take note that solar films has a very short life span of 4-5 years and needs to be replaced for effectiveness. However, solar film does reduce sun glaring and some protection to curtain colour fading.
To reduce the greenhouse effect, try not to close all the windows, leave some top-hung windows slightly open to allow ventilation to let the hot air dissipate out when the day get cooler.

ok fine with greenhouse effect and all. but thermal RADIATION is the direct sun ray into the house. That's why it's called radiation. the solar film helps cut out the sun rays into the house. The sun has a spectrum of radiation, part of it is visible light, part of it is invisible radiation that causes heat. you can google the details. The heat absorb by the wall and then disperse into the house is called conduction. Since air is a bad conductor, heat transfer is less via conduction than via direct thermal radiation. but of course, you'r right. awning to block the direct sun rays is better, and leave window open to circulate air. However, some people prefer solar film to awning. My car example is comparing two areas in the car. One is on the front seat, where heat is transfereed by direct radiation & conduction, vs the area in the boot, where it is dark (no radiation) and by conduction only. You will notice that in the boot is actually "cooler" than in the front seat on a hot day. Why? because the boot does not experience radiation. hope this clears it up :smile:

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I look at my valuation report also cannot tell which direction my house front is facing. Anyway I hoot the armour shield glass film from Persada but did not get the tinted version. Save about RM3000 by sticking to clear film and only doing for 2nd and 3rd floor. Will rely on curtains to do the trick. For ground floor will use SS304 grilles and doors. Total damage should be about RM15000 maybe lesser. Tuesday getting vendors to do site visit amd provide accurate quotes.
errr... wake up early in the morning, check where the sun is rising.. that's east ??
alternatively google your devlptment master plan. your SPA should also include your land title plot drawing and bearing should be indicated.
how much are your grilles alone? almost 10K ++ all in?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok fine with greenhouse effect and all. but thermal RADIATION is the direct sun ray into the house. That's why it's called radiation. the solar film helps cut out the sun rays into the house. The sun has a spectrum of radiation, part of it is visible light, part of it is invisible radiation that causes heat. you can google the details. The heat absorb by the wall and then disperse into the house is called conduction. Since air is a bad conductor, heat transfer is less via conduction than via direct thermal radiation. but of course, you'r right. awning to block the direct sun rays is better, and leave window open to circulate air. However, some people prefer solar film to awning. My car example is comparing two areas in the car. One is on the front seat, where heat is transfereed by direct radiation & conduction, vs the area in the boot, where it is dark (no radiation) and by conduction only. You will notice that in the boot is actually "cooler" than in the front seat on a hot day. Why? because the boot does not experience radiation. hope this clears it up :smile:

Different time frame. Yours refers to initial exposure that solar film sellers love to talk about. snowbird refers to thermal equilibrium after many hours under the sun, which car drivers actually experience painful ass and hot fumes after installing the solar film. In my experience, solar film helps only for 0.5 hour at most.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Different time frame. Yours refers to initial exposure that solar film sellers love to talk about. snowbird refers to thermal equilibrium after many hours under the sun, which car drivers actually experience painful ass and hot fumes after installing the solar film. In my experience, solar film helps only for 0.5 hour at most.

yeah ok. thermo wasn't one of my favorite subjects. you're both right. solar film doesn't really help if the day is scorching hot throughout. maybe you both will help save mr frodo the 3000 bucks.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
errr... wake up early in the morning, check where the sun is rising.. that's east ??
alternatively google your devlptment master plan. your SPA should also include your land title plot drawing and bearing should be indicated.
how much are your grilles alone? almost 10K ++ all in?

Ya, expecting SS window and doors to be around RM10K. Will have to see what is going to be the quote.

Anyway, have yet to move in so no morning experience.:p

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy Singapore style bomb shelter kind of house best, completely no sun! But Malaysia no boleh fot this.

So front of house face West will get gorenged badly but other orientation will be not too bad?

I purchased a house where my master room will get baked by the sun every day..

my wife is gonna have her confinement there for at least a month..

She would want me to get the sun fix so the place will be cooler.

Our neighbor had installed a balcony and installed those blinds to block the sun from entering the room..

i think that will be rather costly?...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Our neighbor had installed a balcony and installed those blinds to block the sun from entering the room..

The salesperson told me that the Armour Shield highest tint can deflect total up to 81% of sun heat. So perhaps you may wish to consider that? It would certainly be much cheaper than building a new balcony or extending the existing one. Contact Duro Safety in Johor.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The salesperson told me that the Armour Shield highest tint can deflect total up to 81% of sun heat. So perhaps you may wish to consider that? It would certainly be much cheaper than building a new balcony or extending the existing one. Contact Duro Safety in Johor.
Bamboo blinds r cheap, easy to install n effective.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yes, it is the bamboo blinds ..

that my neighbor had..

they had extended the balcony and had the bamboo blinds to block the sun..

So your neighbour used both the most exp and most cheapest options together!:smile:

kengheng23

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you had install an aircorn just on it 24hrs lah,electricityin malaysia is not expensive.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you had install an aircorn just on it 24hrs lah,electricityin malaysia is not expensive.

It is not expensive because cheap pollutive coal is used in the power stations. People staying near these power stations will be more prone to respiratory diseases.