• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, must cough blood for SGD10000 to foot RM25500 stainless steel grilles. After that must ask burglars to test the system to make it worthwhile. OK just kidding!

seal up half of yr hse windows, 1/2 price. :biggrin:

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, must cough blood for SGD10000 to foot RM25500 stainless steel grilles. After that must ask burglars to test the system to make it worthwhile. OK just kidding!

If you are selecting S/S, ask for powder coating, which is available in several colours, instead of the gleaming polished steel.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do all suppliers have this? Or only selected? Got lobang mah?

Bro, go for powder coated 实心 wrought iron grilles. Much cheaper but will eventually rust hor after many yrs.....But much better looking than stainless steel. Zheng tong is a vendor who participate in JB renovation fairs often...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, go for powder coated 实心 wrought iron grilles. Much cheaper but will eventually rust hor after many yrs.....But much better looking than stainless steel. Zheng tong is a vendor who participate in JB renovation fairs often...

So what happen after all the rust appear? Does it mean replacing it? I agree that stainless steel has the pawnshop look, but it is also the best choice for securing the place. So I am mulling over doing half, or half SS and the other half aluminium. I did seek a quote from Zheng Tong but no news yet.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what happen after all the rust appear? Does it mean replacing it? I agree that stainless steel has the pawnshop look, but it is also the best choice for securing the place. So I am mulling over doing half, or half SS and the other half aluminium. I did seek a quote from Zheng Tong but no news yet.

I think the rust is a 10-15 year thing, as it's powder coated, so it's a long way off. Just replace after 10-15 years? I did Hong Lee Aluminium but being aluminium, its certainly less solid than wrought iron & stainless steel. Of course, the gd thing is that it doesn't rust & looks atas. SS really too 'striking' for us liao, & so ex also....

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the rust is a 10-15 year thing, as it's powder coated, so it's a long way off. Just replace after 10-15 years? I did Hong Lee Aluminium but being aluminium, its certainly less solid than wrought iron & stainless steel. Of course, the gd thing is that it doesn't rust & looks atas. SS really too 'striking' for us liao, & so ex also....

Yes, aluminium alloy is a balance between protection and corrosion proof. But I only dare to do it in Singapore as a visible deterrent as I seriously doubt the effectiveness.

In JB, better dun play play. Go for solid core wrought iron with powder coating or stainless steel if you are really staying in the house. Mine in JB has already started spot rusting for those in the toilets after a few months. I will repaint them next year. For weekend/holiday house it is okay for me.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was quoted the following for securing my 3 storey intermediate terrace. Experienced folks pls advise if quote is reasonable.

1. Stainless Steel Full House Window 284ft 30 no for RM8500.00

2. Stainless Steel Sliding Door 3 no @ RM4800.00 for RM14400

3. Stainless Steel Both Side Open Door 1 no for RM2600.00

Total potential damage : RM25500.00

I enquired Hong Lee aluminium and was quoted RM21000 for whole house. Now deciding whether to go with Stainless Steel or Aluminium. Any advice?

aluminium very easy to cut. not good choice for security.
so best to go S/S. the problem with S/S is i feel it give a very 'pimped out' look. attracts attention, too. someone mentioned powder coated, yes that better than polished steel look. but price may be more exp?
why don't you go with mild steel / wrought iron(are they the same) painted grilles. very normal looking.

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

when my house ready hopefully you still at molek i look for your contacts for grille.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
aluminium very easy to cut. not good choice for security.
so best to go S/S. the problem with S/S is i feel it give a very 'pimped out' look. attracts attention, too. someone mentioned powder coated, yes that better than polished steel look. but price may be more exp?
why don't you go with mild steel / wrought iron(are they the same) painted grilles. very normal looking.

Hong Lee folks told me their aluminium profile more solid than others, so maybe that's why more expensive. I got another quote for RM10K. Not sure if Hong Lee stuff twice as good as others though. But if it is RM20K for aluminium and RM25K for SS I would invoke value for money clause and go for SS. Or maybe install it inside the house rather than exterior and tint windows so no one will mistake home for pawnshop.:biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, aluminium alloy is a balance between protection and corrosion proof. But I only dare to do it in Singapore as a visible deterrent as I seriously doubt the effectiveness.

In JB, better dun play play. Go for solid core wrought iron with powder coating or stainless steel if you are really staying in the house. Mine in JB has already started spot rusting for those in the toilets after a few months. I will repaint them next year. For weekend/holiday house it is okay for me.

Now you have tipped the balance for me towards SS.:smile:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Lee folks told me their aluminium profile more solid than others, so maybe that's why more expensive. I got another quote for RM10K. Not sure if Hong Lee stuff twice as good as others though. But if it is RM20K for aluminium and RM25K for SS I would invoke value for money clause and go for SS. Or maybe install it inside the house rather than exterior and tint windows so no one will mistake home for pawnshop.:biggrin:

Bro, I installed Hong Lee aluminium grilles, and I feel it is better than other aluminium but still flimsy. But security quite gd at my place, so it's not so bad...Personally, I prefer wrought iron 实心grilles, but wife favours aesthetics over solid look.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone could advise what could i do when my master bed room gotten most of the sun light and it is scorching hot to be in..

Opening the window invite the mosquitoes..

If open, the room is better than a sauna room..

:confused:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone could advise what could i do when my master bed room gotten most of the sun light and it is scorching hot to be in..

Opening the window invite the mosquitoes..

If open, the room is better than a sauna room..

:confused:

Install mozzie nets and curtains.