• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Puteri Harbour Community

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because my kid alerted me to this thread.

Anyway JB crime is non-existent only in this forum and folder, even the courtyard folder has a thread on Johor accountant being brutally bashed.

Just everyone beware and don't get lulled into a false sense of security.

I doubt "kids" and even adults are ignore about the crime scene in JB and believe it is non-existent.

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
how you view the sg economy depends on your job security. if you work as an engineer*like some of my friends, you will definitely not think the economy is good. nowadays many engineers or R&D staff are retrenched in their early fiftites or late 40s. you know the reason..

the oil and gas also does very poorly. anyone who buys big o&G shares already say bye bye to half of his investments. With manufacuring constantly shifted to china and neighbouring countries due to low costs, one really should think if it is worthwhile to be burdened with 30 year loan to buy a 3 bedroom leasshold condo. you got to pay 4k sgd per month till 60s or 70s.

btw,,i do not feel those rich china people are intensely interested in sg. i went to beijing and shen zhen several times last year.They like the US and AU. at least they got big houses and big cars there. what can you get if you spend 2mil here?

I think there's a very strong struggle here:

Singapore:
+ points: VERY SAFE, strong economy, strong government, very advanced overall, excellent education system, excellent transport system
- points: housing (public and private) and cars are very expensive, most are chained to 25 to 30 years of housing loans, very crowded everywhere, stressful living

JB/Iskandar:

+ points: Relatively cheap and very big housing, new areas like Medini/Puteri Harbour not crowded, detailed plans for Iskandar (though how successful remains to be seen), much more affordable than Singapore, more relaxed living (excluding old JB)

- points: Some areas are not safe (robberies/murders), weak currency, newer areas still generally undeveloped and decades behind Singapore, government may be corrupted, rules can turn unfavorable for investors, especially foreigners, transport system still basic

What advice do you all have for the younger generation who wish to have a better life?

I see some of my juniors at work and they ask me how... I'm stumped to give them a good answer. They have good degrees from local unis, stable jobs in the office, but they recognize if they continue what they do, they'll be "slaves" to the SG government paying S$500k for tiny HDB flats for the next 30 years.

Yet Iskandar is a far-fetched idea to them due to the lack of convenient transport system to let them travel from SG to JB, and all the negative points listed above. The confidence is just not there yet.

Stimpy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy property in Singapore or other first world countries and rent and live in Malaysia, easy. Leverage on the strengths of each country at the same time, negate the liabilities.

Capital advice! For the young with a time machine. Anyone buying a condo now that has reasonable proximity to the city centre via a mrt within 15 minutes walk will have to drop a fat deposit on an asset which yields a negative return on the rental market. They will be subsidizing the renter - and own all the risk of negative equity as the price falls by a minimum 6-8% this year. There is no 'return' at all to pay for rents elsewhere.

I realise many think that a tweaking of the laws will mean 'boom' time. But who will be buying? China is slumping, the SG gov can't allow more foreigners (demand) due to the Vox populi saying no to immigration. SG is becoming more expensive for expats with no rental contracts. Outside of Asia the global economy is stuttering. House prices to salaries have decoupled globally. The only exceptions are probably 'dormitory' areas like Iskandar where proximate people with high earnings live.

This talk of crime is hugely overblown. Yes, it is not 100% safe. However, if you are a normal human being who doesn't look like a completely wet target, not hanging around late in the wrong part of town, should be no problem. Nusajaya in particular seems very safe.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy property in Singapore or other first world countries and rent and live in Malaysia, easy. Leverage on the strengths of each country at the same time, negate the liabilities.

Wouldn't that mean that you have to service that property loan in Singapore/other country and also ensure that the rental from this property also more than cover your rent-to-stay condo in JB?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think there's a very strong struggle here:

Singapore:
+ points: VERY SAFE, strong economy, strong government, very advanced overall, excellent education system, excellent transport system
- points: housing (public and private) and cars are very expensive, most are chained to 25 to 30 years of housing loans, very crowded everywhere, stressful living

JB/Iskandar:

+ points: Relatively cheap and very big housing, new areas like Medini/Puteri Harbour not crowded, detailed plans for Iskandar (though how successful remains to be seen), much more affordable than Singapore, more relaxed living (excluding old JB)

- points: Some areas are not safe (robberies/murders), weak currency, newer areas still generally undeveloped and decades behind Singapore, government may be corrupted, rules can turn unfavorable for investors, especially foreigners, transport system still basic

What advice do you all have for the younger generation who wish to have a better life?

I see some of my juniors at work and they ask me how... I'm stumped to give them a good answer. They have good degrees from local unis, stable jobs in the office, but they recognize if they continue what they do, they'll be "slaves" to the SG government paying S$500k for tiny HDB flats for the next 30 years.

Yet Iskandar is a far-fetched idea to them due to the lack of convenient transport system to let them travel from SG to JB, and all the negative points listed above. The confidence is just not there yet.

Maybe for China people, even JB is safer and better compared to China politics and crime rates where there are also high level political corruptions and kids being kidnapped.

The keywords are "not there yet". My view is that Iskandar Malaysia is serious (at least they seem to be) to address these issues.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG will still attract High Net worth China citizens mainly due to the high % of Chinese we have here.
Education, Health, Safety ranks highly on these people's radar. Due to their children.
SG will still appeal to other Global HNWI as well. Good & Bad for citizens thou.
Mid to lower income group citizens would be wise to hedge ahead.
And Iskandar across the bridge is a realistic option.
B4 it also Heats up in the next Decade.

:cool:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I doubt "kids" and even adults are ignore about the crime scene in JB and believe it is non-existent.

Scared of crime, don't come JB le, spoil market only. My fav Bak Kut Teh shop now so ex and quality drop... sigh. If my Kuay Tiau Kia shop also spoil like this, then i'll be super pissed.

I'm born and bred in JB, and the only time i have been robbed was when I was 7 and some squatter kampung kids stole my bicycle which i left unattended when i went to buy super ring & mamee. The longest 10 minute walk back home in my life!

I've been picked pocketed before in Rome & KL, almost mugged in Newcastle UK and Los Angeles, verbally abused in Melbourne many times... Yes i used to hang out in ungodly hours and the most dodgy places, so i guess i put myself out there.

Soooo, JB is safe, just don't stick out like a sore thumb. Applies pretty much everywhere around the world.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scared of crime, don't come JB le, spoil market only. My fav Bak Kut Teh shop now so ex and quality drop... sigh. If my Kuay Tiau Kia shop also spoil like this, then i'll be super pissed.

I'm born and bred in JB, and the only time i have been robbed was when I was 7 and some squatter kampung kids stole my bicycle which i left unattended when i went to buy super ring & mamee. The longest 10 minute walk back home in my life!

I've been picked pocketed before in Rome & KL, almost mugged in Newcastle UK and Los Angeles, verbally abused in Melbourne many times... Yes i used to hang out in ungodly hours and the most dodgy places, so i guess i put myself out there.

Soooo, JB is safe, just don't stick out like a sore thumb. Applies pretty much everywhere around the world.

More SG come on "tourist" basis in a sense also "good" for us who are living in JB...spread the risk of being robbed or raped, mugged or mauled! :p

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've many childhood frds in JB. Been in out countless times all over msia since my teens. Touch wood so far no incidents of either being mugged or pickpocketed.

Not saying there isn't any crimes in Msia/Jb but like any other cities of the world, these are common. SG on the other hand is unique but recent years have seen a surge in petty crimes. Even serious ones too. Just that under report by press that's all & we all know why.

I agree with ECboy & Frodo that exercising caution, being alert, not taking things for granted & minimising seeking adventures at night at questionable hotspots will generally keep u safe & sound.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well Said.. Singapore is a germ free sugar bubble.. Its like a man-made lagoon.. Sea can be rough anywhere, best to master our seaman ship.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well Said.. Singapore is a germ free sugar bubble.. Its like a man-made lagoon.. Sea can be rough anywhere, best to master our seaman ship.

What is wrong with living in a germ free sugar bubble when you are lucky enough to, many would give their arms and legs to live here, appreciate it and don't think the grass is greener on the other side.

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://business.asiaone.com/property/news/4-room-flat-clementi-fetches-900000-the-first-time

Sg is safer. therefore, it is so much more expensive than jb. just now a four-room hdb sells 900k at clementi. needless to say it must be bought by some rich china immigrants. they like to buy near good schools no matter what is the price.

this noon had a chat with my collleague. they say 900 k is very cheap if compared with beijing. they show me news that a 110 sqf (that is 10 square meters) in the central district of beijing near a good school just sells 3.5 mil yuan, that is, more than 750k sgd.

really have little choice in sg. no wonder.

Maybe for China people, even JB is safer and better compared to China politics and crime rates where there are also high level political corruptions and kids being kidnapped.

The keywords are "not there yet". My view is that Iskandar Malaysia is serious (at least they seem to be) to address these issues.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://business.asiaone.com/property/news/4-room-flat-clementi-fetches-900000-the-first-time

Sg is safer. therefore, it is so much more expensive than jb. just now a four-room hdb sells 900k at clementi. needless to say it must be bought by some rich china immigrants. they like to buy near good schools no matter what is the price.

this noon had a chat with my collleague. they say 900 k is very cheap if compared with beijing. they show me news that a 110 sqf (that is 10 square meters) in the central district of beijing near a good school just sells 3.5 mil yuan, that is, more than 750k sgd.

really have little choice in sg. no wonder.

Wah....if got rich China man want to buy my HDB for $900K I would be happy to sell.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah....if got rich China man want to buy my HDB for $900K I would be happy to sell.

See, buying property in Singapore gives much better returns overall. You can cash out if you want and retire in Malaysia. So be thankful of Singapore.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
See, buying property in Singapore gives much better returns overall. You can cash out if you want and retire in Malaysia. So be thankful of Singapore.

Aiyo also haven't sold yet...anyway my friend also sold his Horizon Hills house for over RM one million which he bought for less than 500K...also considered good returns right?

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 2012, while parked at Mall of Medini my car was broke into via windows on a weekend. The following weekday, SG news reported another SG car, same thing happened. About a week later news report the crime group target Nusajaya area was caught.

Criminal activities and police dedication are unequal in Iskandar, much more police work emphasize at Nusajaya...it is very safe...

SG without question is extreme safe....any cities in Malaysia will never in a 100 years achieve that level of safety.....

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did I mention it is wrong? Whats wrong with you?

What is wrong with living in a germ free sugar bubble when you are lucky enough to, many would give their arms and legs to live here, appreciate it and don't think the grass is greener on the other side.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did I mention the grass is greener on the other side? Whats wrong with u?