• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Popular Brand Wrist Watches Only Watch Enthusiasts Would Want

JustOneSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bhai,

The Bao Dai Rolex​

Returning to auction this May: A world-famous, diamond-encrusted Rolex 6062 was commissioned directly by the last Emperor of Vietnam, known as the Bao Dai (or Keeper of Greatness), in 1954 Geneva.​

Spring of 1954, Geneva. Following the Indochina war, the world powers meet in Switzerland to negotiate with the Viet Minh on the future of Vietnam. During a recess, a man steps out of the Hotel des Bergues, where informal negotiations were taking place, to get some fresh air. He doesn't know it yet, but his country will soon be split in two and he will be known as the Last Emperor of Vietnam.

He decides to take a stroll but his footsteps take him only across the street to Chronomètrie Philippe Beguin, a famed Rolex retailer. The Emperor's request to the staff is a simple one. He wants the rarest and most precious Rolex ever made. Before the numerous refusals of the different models presented to him, Rolex is called to the rescue and a clerk is rapidly dispatched from the Rolex workshops in the outskirts of Geneva, bringing with him a rare timepiece: the Rolex reference 6062 in yellow gold, with a black dial and diamond indexes.

A timepiece that will forever be associated with the Last Emperor of Vietnam, even taking his name: Bao Dai.

Nguyễn Phúc Vĩnh Thụy was the 13th and last emperor of the Nguyễn Dynasty. It was not until he ascended the throne in 1925 at age 12 that he was granted the title of Bao Dai — Keeper of Greatness. Bao Dai championed reforms in the judicial and educational systems, and tried to end the more outdated trappings of Vietnamese royalty. He ended the ancient Mandarin custom that once required aides to touch their foreheads to the ground when addressing the Emperor.

Not only a man of wealth, Bao Dai was also a man of taste. He commissioned the greatest artisans of the time to create superb unique creations fit for an Emperor, may it be a villa, private yacht or car. (He notably owned a famed Ferrari 375 MM Spyder rebodied by Scaglietti to a blue/silver Tour de France.) He wanted the best, and had the eye and finesse to recognize it.

rolex.jpg

JustOneSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bhai,

6. Jaeger LeCoultre
| CH | Since 1833

Jaeger LeCoultre (pronounced as "Zhayzhay LayKooter") is the watch that just barely missed to be one of the Holy Trinity brands, but what only few people know is, Jaeger is supplier of movements for all 3 major brands, and then some. Probably the most innovative watch brand on the list here next to Patek Philippe, Jaeger is one of the most admired brands to ever be made. Fans of Jaeger are really loyal, and they usually don't buy other watches, because they know they have the best watch they could ever afford. Jaeger is famous for their Reverso series, a timeless and iconic watch that no other brand made. JLC is one of the most honest brands, and every penny you pay for one of their watches is probably 100% justified (and is tax deductible in the US, as it falls into charity).

rev.jpg

JustOneSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bhai,

Some interesting facts :

Why are watches mostly made in Switzerland?

According to rules established in 1971, the mechanics, casing and final inspection of a timepiece must all be carried out in Switzerland to earn the 'Swiss made' hallmark. These watches are made with a high-quality mechanism and often use premium materials.

Swiss made vs Swiss movement :

The movement is cased up in Switzerland, The movement is Swiss, The manufacturer carries out its final quality control inspection in Switzerland and should bear a 'Swiss Made' label. ... For the Swiss made quartz, the cost of production should reach 60% and must be generated in Switzerland.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You die liao, you didn't get the memo from Bro Chun Sing? The expensive watches stay in the safe, only wear your humble Casio in public. And publicise only the Casio.:biggrin:

Bro Chun Sing can wear whatever he wants. I don't need to act poor in public just to give people the impression that I'm upright. I'm already upright.

I wouldn't buy any watch, regardless of brand, that didn't come with the seconds hand. No third hand, I move on immediately. Watches with three hands showcase the intricacies of the watch movement. That's what we're paying so much for.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I still wear this watch occasionally. It is a good reminder to me to always be patriotic towards PAP Singapore.

1622339422253.png

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I didn't get one as I still owe them 5 high key and 1 low key ICTs.

So complete the rest of your ICTs and get your SAF Hamilton watch. It's a good watch, especially that it has 3 dials instead of only 2.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
We underestimated this guy. We were all fooled by his "humbleness". This fucker has millions in his bank account, the Casio watch is merely a prop in his role play as a humble servant servant. Macham cosplay! :biggrin:

61lIqh7l1vL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Lousy. Doesn't tell the year. Next time Kee Chiu got dementia donno what year he is in.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Bro Chun Sing can wear whatever he wants. I don't need to act poor in public just to give people the impression that I'm upright. I'm already upright.

I wouldn't buy any watch, regardless of brand, that didn't come with the seconds hand. No third hand, I move on immediately. Watches with three hands showcase the intricacies of the watch movement. That's what we're paying so much for.
OMG, you have deviated from party norm.:eek: You've decided to be honest person and stop all the charade and pretense! Well, good on you!

Yes, mechanical watches are the way to go. Springs, gears and other parts working in unison are testament to the ingenuity and expertise of the watch maker.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Tudor - Black Bay Ceramic​

2 Time and Watches Tuesday, 25 May 2021

Tudor is introducing today the Black Bay Ceramic, a model with a case in matt black ceramic and manufacture self-winding movement.

Tudor Black Bay Ceramic

The Black Bay Ceramic is also the first timepiece of the brand to use the new Master Chronometer certification from METAS, the Swiss Federal Institute of Metrology. This way, Tudor becomes the second brand to use this watch quality certification after Omega which started using it in 2015.

Tudor Black Bay Ceramic

One of the industry's most demanding standards in terms of chronometry and resistance to magnetic fields, the METAS Master Chronometer certification covers the main functional characteristics of a watch including precision, resistance to magnetic fields, waterproofness and power reserve. In terms of precision, in order to qualify, a watch must be able to function within a 5-second range of variation each day (0 +5).

The certification also guarantees the timekeeping accuracy of a watch subjected to magnetic fields of 15,000 gauss. Finally, it also guarantees that the waterproof capability claimed by the manufacturer conforms with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standard 22810:2010, as does the power reserve of each Master Chronometer watch.

In order to obtain this certification, two prerequisites are required: the timepiece must be Swiss Made and the movement must be certified by the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC).

It is interesting to mention that the Tudor guarantee card of the Black Bay Ceramic has an NFC chip that, when placed near an NFC-enabled smartphone, gives direct access to the individual Master Chronometer performance data of the watch to which it is linked, via the dedicated Tudor Watch ID web app.

The 41 mm case in matt black ceramic frames a domed dial in matt black with applied hour markers and the signature “Snowflake” hands, all filled with grade A Super-LumiNova luminescent material. Protected by a domed sapphire crystal, the dial has two lines of text to remark that the watch is a "Black Bay Master Chronometer". This is different from the other Black Bay models where we find the "Chronometer Officially Certified" text.

Tudor Black Bay Ceramic

The case has sand-blasted surfaces with bevelled, mirror-polished edges and is finished with very pronounced lines.

The unidirectional rotatable bezel is made of black PVD-coated steel with a black ceramic insert with a sunray satin finish. The screw-down winding crown, also made of black-PVD-treated steel, features the characteristic Tudor rose in relief.

Tudor Black Bay Ceramic

Water resistant to 200 metres / 660 feet, the watch is matched to a hybrid leather and rubber strap with a "Snowflake" motif on the inside and folding clasp. A complimentary black fabric strap with cream band is also delivered.
Tudor Black Bay Ceramic

Through its sapphire crystal porthole, the open case back in black PVD-treated steel displays the proprietary COSC-certified MT5602-1U calibre. This self-winding movement with bidirectional rotor system is equipped with a silicon hairspring and guarantees a 70-hour power reserve.

Tudor Black Bay Ceramic
Tudor MT5602-1U calibre
The Tudor Black Bay Ceramic ref. 79210CNU comes with a five-year transferable guarantee with no registration or periodic maintenance checks required and has a price of Euro 4,510 / US$4,725. tudorwatch.com

Tudor Black Bay Ceramic

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
omg! you guys are truly ah pek. i don’t wear any metallic or plastic stuff anywhere on my body. i rely on the mobile phone to tell time. it’s sync’ed to gps (time of day) and the network master cesium clock, which are many times more precise than the world’s best watches.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
omg! you guys are truly ah pek. i don’t wear any metallic or plastic stuff anywhere on my body. i rely on the mobile phone to tell time. it’s sync’ed to gps (time of day) and the network master cesium clock, which are many times more precise than the world’s best watches.

You don't wear a watch for the time. It's just an accessory.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are from a different era that don't appreciate timepieces as work of art. Go start another thread on which phone tell the most accurate time.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can’t really buy class and sophistication I guess with some ppl. Haha

A watch is like a piece of art u wear on your wrist. The only acceptable jewelry a man should watch. No fucking ah beng nonsense like this

1622355871724.jpeg