• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Popular Brand Wrist Watches Only Watch Enthusiasts Would Want

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the tritium gas has a half life of 12.5 years. Which means in 25 years, the lume is kaput liao. Need to redial and get new hands:biggrin:

***Oh, and tritium is also radioactive. If zapped by it, we will become mutants.***
No worries

12.5y left 50%
25y left 50% of 50% = 25%
37.5y still left 50% of 25% = 12.5%
50y only left 6.25%

But where does the friend radioactive gas goes to?

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the tritium gas has a half life of 12.5 years. Which means in 25 years, the lume is kaput liao. Need to redial and get new hands:biggrin:

***Oh, and tritium is also radioactive. If zapped by it, we will become mutants.***
Cam growth 2nd KKJ as special power?

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ball watches have super bright lumes.

Tiagong they quite tough

No worries

12.5y left 50%
25y left 50% of 50% = 25%
37.5y still left 50% of 25% = 12.5%
50y only left 6.25%

But where does the friend radioactive gas goes to?
I have a Ball watch. Heard good things about it so decided to buy 1 to try. Basic fireman model.

+ It really was tough for a mechanical watch. I've had different problems with toughness with other watches but none for the Ball. Not the watch itself nor the bracelet.

- However the other reason was for the lume. They made such a big hoo haa about it and it looked so good on paper and web photos. In real life, they were seriously weak and got weaker over time. glockie is right. the lume was a major disappointment and made me lose interest in the watch. ** I may be a mutant now **

@k1976. It's still there, but the decay leaves the gas in a lower energy state that doesn't give off as much visible radiation. So same gas just basically expired.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I have a Ball watch. Heard good things about it so decided to buy 1 to try. Basic fireman model.

+ It really was tough for a mechanical watch. I've had different problems with toughness with other watches but none for the Ball. Not the watch itself nor the bracelet.

- However the other reason was for the lume. They made such a big hoo haa about it and it looked so good on paper and web photos. In real life, they were seriously weak and got weaker over time. glockie is right. the lume was a major disappointment and made me lose interest in the watch. ** I may be a mutant now **

@k1976. It's still there, but the decay leaves the gas in a lower energy state that doesn't give off as much visible radiation. So same gas just basically expired.
Their watches are solidly built, and the tritium gas lume is their unique selling point. But also their single biggest bugbear. I always dissuade folks from getting Ball watches. I tested tritium lume previously (bought a few cheaper ones by Luminox and Traser), they were not brighter than superluminova or chromalight.

But I like the patina-ed look on old Tritium paste (not the tritium in gas vials). The paste was mostly used in watches up to the late 1990s I think. Boss sam has a Rolex Explorer II with that nice pumpkin coloured lume. But no glow left once they are that old.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
When discussing watch lume, it would be a crime to not mention Seiko Lumibrite. It's amazing stuff, which makes me wonder why they don't use it on all their GS offering.

“Lumibrite is a virtually permanent, non-radioactive, fluorescent coating that can light up the face of a watch, or just its hands and numbers, for up to five hours after two minutes exposure to sunlight.”

https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/seiko-lumibrite/

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their watches are solidly built, and the tritium gas lume is their unique selling point. But also their single biggest bugbear. I always dissuade folks from getting Ball watches. I tested tritium lume previously (bought a few cheaper ones by Luminox and Traser), they were not brighter than superluminova or chromalight.

But I like the patina-ed look on old Tritium paste (not the tritium in gas vials). The paste was mostly used in watches up to the late 1990s I think. Boss sam has a Rolex Explorer II with that nice pumpkin coloured lume. But no glow left once they are that old.
When discussing watch lume, it would be a crime to not mention Seiko Lumibrite. It's amazing stuff, which makes me wonder why they don't use it on all their GS offering.

“Lumibrite is a virtually permanent, non-radioactive, fluorescent coating that can light up the face of a watch, or just its hands and numbers, for up to five hours after two minutes exposure to sunlight.”

https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/seiko-lumibrite/
agreed. so far the lumibrite is impressive. I have to defer to you on watch matters. You really are the master in this regard.

I had to find out the tough way that tritium gas tubes suck. Oh well, it was the basest of the base models.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cam growth 2nd KKJ as special power
Grow 2nd KKJ is ideal but in all likelihood, your single KKJ will drop off. :biggrin:
Heng heng, did not buy at jiuhu... They give better discount than SG

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
agreed. so far the lumibrite is impressive. I have to defer to you on watch matters. You really are the master in this regard.

I had to find out the tough way that tritium gas tubes suck. Oh well, it was the basest of the base models.
Thanks, it's just an interest. But more importantly, at least we still wear our wrist watches and have not replaced them with smart phones! Confession : I use my phone to make sure my watch is keeping good time.:biggrin:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, it's just an interest. But more importantly, at least we still wear our wrist watches and have not replaced them with smart phones! Confession : I use my phone to make sure my watch is keeping good time.:biggrin:
yeah interest is how we learn no? :biggrin:

I use my phone too. But you know what? I still use a watch a lot. It is just plain handier to glance at your wrist than to go digging around your pockets for a hard rectangle.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have serious 老花眼 and watchface size does really matter now. 44mm is considered really small by my standards today.
Yes, it is 48mm and running a Seagull movement.
talk to your eye doctor about presbyopia lens implant
day surgery, go home within 2 hours for each eye.

Presbyopia-3.jpg