• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Please Help With These Dialect Phrases or Words

jw5

Loyal
I have heard people using these dialect words or phrases. But can't ask them to confirm if they are authentic, since they are the ones using them. :o
Tried to ask a few others, but they looked at me funny. Not many people are conversant in dialects these days.

Thought I would try asking u chaps. Do these word exist and are the meanings correct? Thanks.

1. Lor mang (Cantonese) - supposed to mean fussy or problematic?

2. Chek ark (Teochew) - supposed to ask someone why u so mean to someone else or something to that effect?

3. Joo kia joo wui joo dui (Teochew) - supposed to mean the more u fear, the more it will happen to you?

4. Khek chek eh (lanjiao) say (Hokkien) - supposed to mean have an arrogant attitude?

5. Der (first sound Teochew) = supposed to mean irritate or frustrate?

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
5) Kah(1) Pue (3) (Hainanese) - Cover blanket, suppose to mean he/her word is not trustworthy or bluffing

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
5) Kah(1) Pue (3) (Hainanese) - Cover blanket, suppose to mean he/her word is not trustworthy or bluffing

I'll pass lest I am accused of being a dialectal racist. I myself started a thread on how strongly Hainanese feel about their affiliation to a shared heritage. I still aspire to make MODERATOR you know.....LOL...Buey lu.......LOL

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1. Lor mang (Cantonese) - need to hear it

2. Chek ark (Teochew) - being mean

3. Joo kia joo wui joo dui (Teochew) - not sure

4. Khek chek eh (lanjiao) say (Hokkien) - putting on airs

5. Der (first sound Teochew) = need to hear it

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

2. Chek ark (Teochew) - being mean

3. Joo kia joo wui joo dui (Teochew) - not sure

4. Khek chek eh (lanjiao) say (Hokkien) - putting on airs

5. Der (first sound Teochew) = need to hear it

Lor mang (Cantonese) - need to hear it

It should be Lor men = Means you are killing me = Asking too much from me = Alamaking demanding another orgasm....LOL

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

means 要命!Cantonese 摞命。。。

2. Chek ark (Teochew) - supposed to ask someone why u so mean to someone else or something to that effect?

積惡。。。。accumulate bad karma.

3. Joo kia joo wui joo dui (Teochew) - supposed to mean the more u fear, the more it will happen to you?

越驚越有越搥 the last word meaning beating your own chest

4. Khek chek eh (lanjiao) say (Hokkien) - supposed to mean have an arrogant attitude?

激 (裝)一個 penis 勢, meaning 裝腔作勢

means 纏。 entangle, bound.

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need to be so chek ark right?
Anyway, thanks for the reply for 1 to 4.
Don't think that "der" means to entangle, more like to irritate, frustrate, bother, even antangonize.
JW, think you are right on der. Think should be short for Der Siao or Di Siao in Hokkien.
"Lu Mai Lai Der Wa" literally means You don't come disturb or kachiao me.

Sorry me not a Teochew, any Teochew folks can verify 'Der'.

Last edited:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
JW, think you are right on der. Think should be short for Der Siao or Di Siao in Hokkien.
"Lu Mai Lai Der Wa" literally means You don't come disturb or kachiao me.

Sorry me not a Teochew, any Teochew folks can verify 'Der'.

JW5 knows the meaning. We're just trying to decipher the phrase, word for word.

Actually 纏 in TEOCHEW is pronounced as "tin" as in cane or rattan. But it carries the meaning of pester, as in 纏繞。

On second thought, the teochew word for 'dter' is ,meaning slaughter. The teochew meaning is a slang.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JW5 knows the meaning. We're just trying to decipher the phrase, word for word.

Actually 纏 in TEOCHEW is pronounced as "tin" as in cane or rattan. But it carries the meaning of pester, as in 纏繞。

On second thought, the teochew word for 'dter' is ,meaning slaughter. The teochew meaning is a slang.
Wah piangz, you really solid. I know some dialect publications in Chinese has to be read in the native dialect else no meaning. For example, the earlier Wang Yu Lang comics has to be read in Cantonese. Think should be the same in Tai Nan or Kao Shiung where a majority still speak Dai Wan Way. Same as Hokkien Songs from Taiwan, if read the lyrics, very hard to understand but if spoken, will completely understand.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have heard people using these dialect words or phrases. But can't ask them to confirm if they are authentic, since they are the ones using them. :o
Tried to ask a few others, but they looked at me funny. Not many people are conversant in dialects these days.

Thought I would try asking u chaps. Do these word exist and are the meanings correct? Thanks.

chek ark i know what it means. It means a black hearted person someone with a nasty attitude. I have never heard of 3 and 5 before.

wanker10

Alfrescian
Loyal

Should be nau mang meaning very grouchy, restless...usually used when saying "this little boy very nau mang when he wakes up in the morning"

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

for a while, i blur about the phrase.

"lor man meh, ge tor ye jo."

it killing me, so many work to do.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Should be nau mang meaning very grouchy, restless...usually used when saying "this little boy very nau mang when he wakes up in the morning"
Think KYP already mentioned but here's my prononciation.

LOR MAENG (take life)

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After watching the young and dangerous series i know that they call their lao da or zhongs zha "fit" ren.
Zha means 'Hold' and Fit should be from English 'Fit'. Think the traditional way should be "Wah See" or 'Speak Things' literally means make decision.
for a while, i blur about the phrase.

"lor man meh, ge tor ye jo."

it killing me, so many work to do.
Hehehe. Will be more powderful if you add the word 'guai' (ghost) between Germ and Tor, eg. "Germ Guai Dor Ye Jo".:biggrin:
Hehehe. Like this thread. Pappies killing all the dialects and here's a revival of speak dialect.