• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Please Help With These Dialect Phrases or Words

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
trying to decipher the phrase, word for word. Actually 纏 in TEOCHEW is pronounced as "tin" as in cane or rattan. But it carries the meaning of pester, as in 纏繞。
On second thought, the teochew word for 'dter' is ,meaning slaughter. The teochew meaning is a slang.
Best if used in some context (as in any linguistics). Original 'Der' not correct intonation, more bent towards 't'. Yes, meaning is pester ..kachau

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zha means 'Hold' and Fit should be from English 'Fit'. Think the traditional way should be "Wah See" or 'Speak Things' literally means make decision.

Hehehe. Will be more powderful if you add the word 'guai' (ghost) between Germ and Tor, eg. "Germ Guai Dor Ye Jo".:biggrin:
Hehehe. Like this thread. Pappies killing all the dialects and here's a revival of speak dialect.

Yup fit is english word. Hence a fit ren or a physically able person which sounds kind of funny. I know it's definitely slang just like the words yo and dude are slang used in english context. In fact the hongkies will find someone old fashioned if they don't use those words. You know like how an old english gentleman sounds like to a bunch of californian surfers. I just want to know why did they choose such a funny sounding slang.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah piangz, you really solid. I know some dialect publications in Chinese has to be read in the native dialect else no meaning. For example, the earlier Wang Yu Lang comics has to be read in Cantonese. Think should be the same in Tai Nan or Kao Shiung where a majority still speak Dai Wan Way. Same as Hokkien Songs from Taiwan, if read the lyrics, very hard to understand but if spoken, will completely understand.

Frankly, Taiwan is behaving like Singapore 20 years ago. But Singapore is better. The Taiwanese have incorporated some English words into their day to day language, such DM = catalogue and brochure; OS = pondering; FU (they pronounce as feel) = 感覺。

It's getting from bad to worse, and whenever any Taiwanese throws such "English words" at me, I will pretend that I don't know WTF they're talking. I will get them to explain the abbreviations, and so far none could offer me an answer. Actually DM means Direct Mail, and OS means Outside the Scene. I feel it's absolutely not necessary for them to adopt such English abbreviations, and most were started by some "bo tak chek" guys working in the entertainment industry. And Taiwanese guys who can't speak a word of English think it's "cool" to use such words.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Frankly, Taiwan is behaving like Singapore 20 years ago. But Singapore is better. The Taiwanese have incorporated some English words into their day to day language, such DM = catalogue and brochure; OS = pondering; FU (they pronounce as feel) = 感覺。

It's getting from bad to worse, and whenever any Taiwanese throws such "English words" at me, I will pretend that I don't know WTF they're talking. I will get them to explain the abbreviations, and so far none could offer me an answer. Actually DM means Direct Mail, and OS means Outside the Scene. I feel it's absolutely not necessary for them to adopt such English abbreviations, and most were started by some "bo tak chek" guys working in the entertainment industry. And Taiwanese guys who can't speak a word of English think it's "cool" to use such words.

Actually many asians do that. The thais do that too. They see someone as adding english words into their daily language as either trying to be hip or trying to show off. The only problem is you do need a strong foundation in english and not to make use abbrevations that are unfamiliar to english speakers. Like the example you have given DM. I wouldn't know what that meant.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keep It

TeochewOpera.jpg

I really hope you can still find your own dialects' dictionary or learning aids like CDs or DVDs made in China. Some of these languages are dying by the days. No one (young gen) wants to learn it anymore. Mandarin will eventually destroy all these.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually many asians do that. The thais do that too. They see someone as adding english words into their daily language as either trying to be hip or trying to show off. The only problem is you do need a strong foundation in english and not to make use abbrevations that are unfamiliar to english speakers. Like the example you have given DM. I wouldn't know what that meant.

Yes, and I told them the same thing. That the English speakers wouldn't know WTF DM or OS is supposed to mean.

Speaking of my example, do you think Direct Mail = Catalogue ? I really don't think they're one and the same. They always ask : 你們有沒有你們公司的產品 DM 可以供我們參考 ?

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
So Many Strange Words In Mandarin

2010050121124985.jpg

对不住 is frequently used by the Cantonese for "sorry" but now I keep seeing it in PRC's dramas, not just the Three Kingdoms. 汝 also appeared as "you" which commonly used by Hakka and Foochowese.

欢喜 foon hey or hwa hee or hwung hee NOT 喜欢 ? Leave me scratching. So, now they have realised that the old Chinese are in the south ?

黄头鲜卑入洛阳,胡儿执戟升明堂。
晋家天子作降虏,公卿奔走如牛羊。
紫陌旌幡暗相触,家家鸡犬惊上屋。
妇人出门随乱兵,夫死眼前不敢哭。
九州诸侯自顾土,无人领兵来护主。
北人避胡多在南,南人至今能晋语

If I'm not wrong, Cantonese opera focuses more on Chu-Han period, Han Dynasty, 3 Kingdoms. But, Teochew and Hokkien more towards the happenings in the capital city of Loyang.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. Lor mang (Cantonese) - supposed to mean fussy or problematic?

2. Chek ark (Teochew) - supposed to ask someone why u so mean to someone else or something to that effect?

3. Joo kia joo wui joo dui (Teochew) - supposed to mean the more u fear, the more it will happen to you?

4. Khek chek eh (lanjiao) say (Hokkien) - supposed to mean have an arrogant attitude?

5. Der (first sound Teochew) = supposed to mean irritate or frustrate?

I understand and speak all three dialects fluently, but I'm not really sure what you mean except 2. It means accumulate demerit, as opposed to accumulate merit.
积恶 v. 积善。

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, and I told them the same thing. That the English speakers wouldn't know WTF DM or OS is supposed to mean.

Speaking of my example, do you think Direct Mail = Catalogue ? I really don't think they're one and the same. They always ask : 你們有沒有你們公司的產品 DM 可以供我們參考 ?

frankly speaking a foreigner wouldn't understand it but if you are a local you would have known what they meant. To be fair to them every country has their quirks and their usage of slangs and it differs among the various english speaking countries too. Americans wouldn't understand the abb and slangs the brits use too like how they call a policeman a bobby while they call theirs a cop.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eventhough I know and speak all the dialects fluently, I don't understand 3&5.

1. Lor Mang means Take Life; conotations of tough, problematic, making it tough for others. Usage: "Lor Mang, meh?" means you want to make it tough for us/everyone izit:confused::biggrin: Another example; "How was the exam?", "Lor Mang, er" means it was tough.:(

2. Ram is correct, imo.

4. Khek chek eh; "Cake Ji A Say" means "Act a Style" or "Act Stylish", conotations of being "pretentious and arrogant", or "managing an impression".

You are not hokkien:p

1. Lor mang (Cantonese) - supposed to mean fussy or problematic?

2. Chek ark (Teochew) - supposed to ask someone why u so mean to someone else or something to that effect?

4. Khek chek eh (lanjiao) say (Hokkien) - supposed to mean have an arrogant attitude?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Eventhough I know and speak all the dialects fluently, I don't understand 3&5

#3 would sound more like: joo kia joo oy joo dui
越惊越会越锤

#5 would sound more like: dzer
i.e to disturb/irritate
mor dzer yi (don't disturb it)

but as bro KYP translated der as 除,he is correct :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Best if used in some context (as in any linguistics). Original 'Der' not correct intonation, more bent towards 't'. Yes, meaning is pester ..kachau

Trying to use the hanyu pinyin way, der with the first sound.
Using t would not sound right.

jw5

Loyal

The most annoying english phrase they use is "Wo Bu Care."
Why can't they just say "Wo Bu Guan" or "Wo Bu Zai Yi" or something, never understood why they must use the word care in a 3 word sentence.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lor mang (Cantonese) - need to hear it

It should be Lor men = Means you are killing me = Asking too much from me = Alamaking demanding another orgasm....LOL

hi there

1. hk canto kid here!
2. "lor mang" is literally "taking away life", also can be interpreted as something very critical.

jw5

Loyal
#3 would sound more like: joo kia joo oy joo dui
越惊越会越锤

Only a teochew ah hia would know this phrase, I guess. :wink:
Noticed that even those who know teochew, didn't understand this. Deep teochew perhaps?

Btw, I read your earlier teochew sentence about 5 times and still couln't decipher it. At most know a few words. :o

Thanks to all for your help and valuable input. More words for us to use in SBF now............................. :p

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Only a teochew ah hia would know this phrase, I guess. :wink:
Noticed that even those who know teochew, didn't understand this. Deep teochew perhaps?

Btw, I read your earlier teochew sentence about 5 times and still couln't decipher it. At most know a few words. :o

Thanks to all for your help and valuable input. More words for us to use in SBF now............................. :p

hi there

1. bro, one more most common hk street slang "tiu lei".
2. hahaha!