• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Please Help With These Dialect Phrases or Words

jw5

Loyal
Imo, sori to say this, but we should stop bluffing ourselves.

Like the saying, "Men doing, Heaven is looking" or "Heaven got eyes".

Yah, I believe heaven got eyes since the begining of time, and heaven is looking, looking, still looking and still looking............looking still and still looking......looking until end of time.......still looking..........

Glad u brought up this point.
I don't believe in "heaven is watching", or retribution or karma or whatever else either.
It simply does not work that way in real life.
Things like this are to tell the man/human and for other humans to hear.
Nothing to do with heaven or spirits or googlegydook.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Karma in the purest sense is just "cause and effect" without any element of divine intervention.

Glad u brought up this point.
I don't believe in "heaven is watching", or retribution or karma or whatever else either.
Things like this are to tell the man/human and for other humans to hear.
Nothing to do with heaven or spirits or googlegydook.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Imo, sori to say this, but we should stop bluffing ourselves.

me only believe this: for every action there will be a reaction, depending on the conditions

there's individual cause and effect, there's collective cause and effect. a very clear cut example, me voted for WP in Aljunied, it played a part in my individual action, together with the collective action of many others, we managed to obtain a collective effort. likewise, the collective effort of the folks in Singapore pushed towards some 40%, but the conditions were as such that they only managed less than 7% of the Parliamentary seats. as more cock-ups from the incumbent surfaces, the balance point would tip, as the goal post gets shifted, more folks get more tulan.

causes and effects are real, and it's dynamic, never static :p:p:p

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Karma in the purest sense is just "cause and effect" without any element of divine intervention.

karma in its strictest sense means volitional actions, i.e. actions with intent.
vipaka in its strictest sense means the resulting effect of the karma :smile::smile::smile:

jw5

Loyal
me only believe this: for every action there will be a reaction, depending on the conditions

causes and effects are real, and it's dynamic, never static :p:p:p

That's Newton's third law, not karma, retribution, or "heaven got eyes".
Also known as making it happen. :smile:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
That's Newton's third law, not karma, retribution, or "heaven got eyes".
Also known as making it happen. :smile:

bro,
the notion me shared was written in the Tripitaka, over 2500 years back :smile::smile::smile:
the examples me cited are only of present day events

and Newton's 3 laws are as follows:
First law: The velocity of a body remains constant unless the body is acted upon by an external force.
Second law: The acceleration a of a body is parallel and directly proportional to the net force F and inversely proportional to the mass m, i.e., F = ma.
Third law: The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear.

somewhat similar but different :p:p:p

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correct. Karma is just that. Action or Inaction which will lead to a consequence. Like what zhihua posted, it alway dynamic and evolving.

Pls don't look a karma from a religious view point.

Now, let's not go OT on your thread, and get back to the "Fah Hai" "Tui" and "Lou Mei" etc etc.:biggrin:

If we want something to happen, we will have to make it happen.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Karma is just causation and consequence interpreted in a religious way. Still, there's neither absolute nor guarantee. If there is, religious faith would become science.

BTSS

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have heard people using these dialect words or phrases. But can't ask them to confirm if they are authentic, since they are the ones using them. :o
Tried to ask a few others, but they looked at me funny. Not many people are conversant in dialects these days.

Thought I would try asking u chaps. Do these word exist and are the meanings correct? Thanks.

1. Lor mang (Cantonese) - supposed to mean fussy or problematic?

2. Chek ark (Teochew) - supposed to ask someone why u so mean to someone else or something to that effect?

3. Joo kia joo wui joo dui (Teochew) - supposed to mean the more u fear, the more it will happen to you?

4. Khek chek eh (lanjiao) say (Hokkien) - supposed to mean have an arrogant attitude?

5. Der (first sound Teochew) = supposed to mean irritate or frustrate?
Diu nia ma :FU:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have heard people using these dialect words or phrases. But can't ask them to confirm if they are authentic, since they are the ones using them. :o
Tried to ask a few others, but they looked at me funny. Not many people are conversant in dialects these days.

Thought I would try asking u chaps. Do these word exist and are the meanings correct? Thanks.

1. Lor mang (Cantonese) - supposed to mean fussy or problematic?

2. Chek ark (Teochew) - supposed to ask someone why u so mean to someone else or something to that effect?

3. Joo kia joo wui joo dui (Teochew) - supposed to mean the more u fear, the more it will happen to you?

4. Khek chek eh (lanjiao) say (Hokkien) - supposed to mean have an arrogant attitude?

5. Der (first sound Teochew) = supposed to mean irritate or frustrate?
My 2 cents' worth :
Der means to pester, to cause annoyance, inconvenience.
I would think chek ark is more Hokien than Teochew. It means unconscionable and inhumane.