• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSP's Secretary General Goh Meng Seng said it intends to contest the General Election

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: NSP's Secretary General Goh Meng Seng said it intends to contest the General Elec

NSP Team Leader is NSP SG Mr Goh.

WP Team Leader never known. WP SG not even mention who going to contest.

RP Team Leader never known. RP SG not even mention who going to contest, too.

Please respect them. Our hero Mr Edmund Ng who like to attack Mr Mah Paw San, PM Lee and MM Lee Kuan Yew also keep quiet. Why should we talk about three coner fight?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: NSP's Secretary General Goh Meng Seng said it intends to contest the General Elec

NSP Team Leader is NSP SG Mr Goh.

WP Team Leader never known. WP SG not even mention who going to contest.

RP Team Leader never known. RP SG not even mention who going to contest, too.

Please respect them. Our hero Mr Edmund Ng who like to attack Mr Mah Paw San, PM Lee and MM Lee Kuan Yew also keep quiet. Why should we talk about three coner fight?

May I ask what is NSP's definition of legitimacy over a constituency? That it announces the constituencies it wants to contest? Or announce its constituencies AND candidates for them. Maybe Goh Meng Seng can answer this too.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

May I ask what is NSP's definition of legitimacy over a constituency? That it announces the constituencies it wants to contest? Or announce its constituencies AND candidates for them. Maybe Goh Meng Seng can answer this too.

Actually, I leave it to the people to judge. :wink:

For Tampines' case, although the media talks about three parties interested in Tampines, but I think they know pretty well who is the serious player. When Mah BT made a comment, who are being approached? And who actually responded to invite Mah BT to have a policy debate. Legitimacy must be consistent both on the media front as well as the ground.

It is pretty obvious that the boxing ring is already filled with two players (actually more than that... never mind. ..) and the game has started.

If a political party is not ready to commit or willing to engage at all, then there is definitely no legitimacy to talk about. Engagement can come in various forms, most importantly, it is media responses and ground engagement.

Such legitimacy is formed in the hearts and minds of the voters, not just our own definitions. Most importantly, when more than one party steps into the ring, how would the voters view. Who are the serious players and who are the opportunists. Any political parties that value their party branding will not want to be viewed as opportunists or the "spoilers". i.e. I definitely won't want to be viewed as opportunists that just want to come and kah jiao to spoil other people's fight.

For example, I will never agree to allow any of my members to contest in Aljunied GRC or even Hougang or Potong Pasir.... unless WP or SPP agrees to let us contest while they withdraw from them. This is simple. It is not merely because of mutual respect but more importantly, I will not do something so stupid to tarnish my NSP's branding.

So, it is a matter of judgment by everyone.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually, I leave it to the people to judge. :wink:

For Tampines' case, although the media talks about three parties interested in Tampines, but I think they know pretty well who is the serious player. When Mah BT made a comment, who are being approached? And who actually responded to invite Mah BT to have a policy debate. Legitimacy must be consistent both on the media front as well as the ground.

It is pretty obvious that the boxing ring is already filled with two players (actually more than that... never mind. ..) and the game has started.

If a political party is not ready to commit or willing to engage at all, then there is definitely no legitimacy to talk about. Engagement can come in various forms, most importantly, it is media responses and ground engagement.

Such legitimacy is formed in the hearts and minds of the voters, not just our own definitions. Most importantly, when more than one party steps into the ring, how would the voters view. Who are the serious players and who are the opportunists. Any political parties that value their party branding will not want to be viewed as opportunists or the "spoilers". i.e. I definitely won't want to be viewed as opportunists that just want to come and kah jiao to spoil other people's fight.

For example, I will never agree to allow any of my members to contest in Aljunied GRC or even Hougang or Potong Pasir.... unless WP or SPP agrees to let us contest while they withdraw from them. This is simple. It is not merely because of mutual respect but more importantly, I will not do something so stupid to tarnish my NSP's branding.

So, it is a matter of judgment by everyone.

Goh Meng Seng

Althought it is a matter of judgment by everyone which means many myriad judgments will be produced, you have also expressed your judgment and we will just talk about your judgment. Your judgment is different from other "normal" judgments because you represent a party and more than one person.

Out of curiosity, what about Nee Soon Central? If I recall not wrongly Cheo Chai Chen of NSP has "staked claim" there. WP contested there last time and it seems mentioned that they will return to their old wards including there.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Althought it is a matter of judgment by everyone which means many myriad judgments will be produced, you have also expressed your judgment and we will just talk about your judgment. Your judgment is different from other "normal" judgments because you represent a party and more than one person.

Out of curiosity, what about Nee Soon Central? If I recall not wrongly Cheo Chai Chen of NSP has "staked claim" there. WP contested there last time and it seems mentioned that they will return to their old wards including there.

I don't see how different my judgment is different from others, maybe only different from yours.

WP contested in Nee Soon Central last time but Cheo was the MP there last time. So where does it end? I believe WP's candidate in Nee Soon Central in GE2006 did not continue to work on the ground there after the GE. Basically abandon somehow. For SMC, it is not always that straight forward. SDP has also contested in Nee Soon Central in the past. SMC is normally up for discussion during the coordination meeting between opposition parties. Negotiated outcome will be difficult to determine.

But to me, if an ex-MP of the ward wants to go back to his ward and work the ground, I have no reasons to stop him. If someone wants to go to Hougang or Potong Pasir to work the ground, then I have all the reasons to stop it. That is very common sense. Maybe your common sense is different.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't see how different my judgment is different from others, .

That's a very strange remark. Even cowsenses know there are 2 sides of a coin and six sides on a dice. Since you think there is only one universal judgment in the world to such matters, you wouldn't say "I leave it to the people to judge.".

WP contested in Nee Soon Central last time but Cheo was the MP there last time. So where does it end? I believe WP's candidate in Nee Soon Central in GE2006 did not continue to work on the ground there after the GE. Basically abandon somehow. For SMC, it is not always that straight forward. SDP has also contested in Nee Soon Central in the past. SMC is normally up for discussion during the coordination meeting between opposition parties. Negotiated outcome will be difficult to determine.

But to me, if an ex-MP of the ward wants to go back to his ward and work the ground, I have no reasons to stop him. If someone wants to go to Hougang or Potong Pasir to work the ground, then I have all the reasons to stop it. That is very common sense. Maybe your common sense is different.

I believe there is a difference between "staking claim" and "working the ground". We should differentiate before going further.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

That's a very strange remark. Even cowsenses know there are 2 sides of a coin and six sides on a dice. Since you think there is only one universal judgment in the world to such matters, you wouldn't say "I leave it to the people to judge.".

I believe there is a difference between "staking claim" and "working the ground". We should differentiate before going further.

You may find it strange but it is not. Just like sane and insane, indeed, there are two sides of the coin, but which side are you on?

It is only natural for people who work the ground to stake their claim, isn't it? But that must be based on common sense. I cannot just ask someone to work the ground in Hougang and start to stake the claim there. That would be nonsensical.

Again, this is about "common sense" and "general judgment". People will feel it is nonsensical basically because it is totally unreasonable; even though you work the ground there. You will be treated as "trouble maker", so to speak.

Thus the matter is based on multiple factors. If you have contested in that place before, yes, you have a valid reason to contest there...i.e. stake your claim. But if someone who is an EX-MP there and working on the ground, does it sound more reasonable for him to contest there again? Especially so when others didn't initiate any ground work in that place? And for that matter, others didn't even make known to everybody that you will go back there!

Different parties have different policies. As far as NSP is concerned, we are very open about where we will stand and whether we back it up with ground activities. WP may have different strategy and it is not for me to say whether it is good or inappropriate. However, if it disadvantaged itself in "staking a claim" in any places, that is not our problem, isn't it?

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jiang zhong dian lah. :biggrin:

It is only natural for people who work the ground to stake their claim, isn't it?

No, not true. Am sure you have seen some people stake claim without doing any work. You might say that it does not apply to "NSP Baru" :p... then you were using the word "natural"?

Thus the matter is based on multiple factors. If you have contested in that place before, yes, you have a valid reason to contest there...i.e. stake your claim. But if someone who is an EX-MP there and working on the ground, does it sound more reasonable for him to contest there again? Especially so when others didn't initiate any ground work in that place? And for that matter, others didn't even make known to everybody that you will go back there!

I agree it does make sense that a former MP returns to the ward. You are also right that the NSC case is more complicated than Aljunied or Tampines. Cheo had "abandoned" in 2006 (the word in the same context you used) and now both he and WP has some level of justification. Negotiation is probably needed.

The problem is NSP taking the high moral ground of proclaiming that it will not enter 3 corner fights. If WP does not give way to NSP in NSC and NSP decides to live up to the high moral ground and gives way to WP, but earlier did not stop Cheo yet did not help Cheo secure the place, it does a disservice to Cheo.

Do correct me if I had some facts wrong. But my bottomline is - "think before promise".

Different parties have different policies. As far as NSP is concerned, we are very open about where we will stand and whether we back it up with ground activities. WP may have different strategy and it is not for me to say whether it is good or inappropriate.

That is a recognition that NSP will practice attaching groundwork evidences to the "claims" they "stake". That is an upright practice and should be truly practiced.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Jiang zhong dian lah. :biggrin:

No, not true. Am sure you have seen some people stake claim without doing any work. You might say that it does not apply to "NSP Baru" :p... then you were using the word "natural"?

I agree it does make sense that a former MP returns to the ward. You are also right that the NSC case is more complicated than Aljunied or Tampines. Cheo had "abandoned" in 2006 (the word in the same context you used) and now both he and WP has some level of justification. Negotiation is probably needed.

The problem is NSP taking the high moral ground of proclaiming that it will not enter 3 corner fights. If WP does not give way to NSP in NSC and NSP decides to live up to the high moral ground and gives way to WP, but earlier did not stop Cheo yet did not help Cheo secure the place, it does a disservice to Cheo.

Do correct me if I had some facts wrong. But my bottomline is - "think before promise".

That is a recognition that NSP will practice attaching groundwork evidences to the "claims" they "stake". That is an upright practice and should be truly practiced.

Since WP did nothing to NSC or make any indications at all, you mean other parties like NSP cannot prepare their ground? Weird logic.

I do not remember NSP making the claim that they will not go into 3 corner fights. NSP may prefer not to have 3 corner fights, or even try to avoid it. But there is no guarantee that there will not be 3 corner fight, especially so for SMC. Any individual independent candidates could just join in the contest, can we avoid it?

I do not remember NSP says anything that NSC is NSP's turf at all. All we are saying is that we are working on the ground there and intend to contest. If all other parties want to contest, then please work the ground there as well. Then we negotiate. So far as I know, WP did not have any ground movement except for the general Sunday Hammer sales. For NSP, as far as I know, Cheo has proven that he has been walking his ground. So?

This is politics, not shouting contest. Anyone can shout anything but ultimately, it is action on the ground that counts. Action on the ground can mean different things, mind you. WP may prefer go and knock doors but personally, I don't do that. I will walk the coffeeshops during the evenings. But whatever it is, it is out from the normal routine of selling of our publications or newspaper.

As far as I am concerned, NSP has been active on the ground that we say we intend to contest. Not only on normal routine newspaper sales but on their individual effort. If you have problems with, it is non with my concerns.

The only thing I dislike is that people refused or unable to give commitment and confirmation on anything but just hope that others don't act as well. When it comes to the crunch, then they claim the sky and sea.

NSP, so far so good. We state our intention clearly, work according to our plans and state our stand firmly. We can only be responsible for our own actions and strategy. If other parties prefer to keep quiet, non-committal, we are not responsible for that. But to claim that we are stating our claim and others are not, suggesting that we are not "cooperating" in trying to avoid 3 corner fight, that's pretty lame.

Goh Meng Seng

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Perspective

Actually by virtue of past contests, and walking the ground. An opposition party should have the right of refusal over any particular piece of electoral ground. Saves everyone wasted effort, wasted manpower and resources especially when these are scarce all around.

Does not matter whether its NSP RP WP, etc I believe that such unstated rules prior to the usual PRE GE POW WOW at PKMS HQ works to everyone's benefit.

Locke

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do not remember NSP making the claim that they will not go into 3 corner fights. NSP may prefer not to have 3 corner fights, or even try to avoid it. But there is no guarantee that there will not be 3 corner fight, especially so for SMC.

Shuo dao zhong dian, jiu hao le. :wink:

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal

Temasek Review News and Online Citizen News had to interview the Tampines GRC Residents.

Some residents are very glad to know who will be the opposition team leader. One of the best team leader is our NSP SG Goh Meng Seng. Maybe I bias so let the two opposition media to interview them.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Perspective

Stop trying to stir the pot. It is not going to work. The opposition are not so stupid that they don't know the real enemy is the PAP.

Instead of multi-corner fights, you are more likely to see joint opposition teams that band together to take on the PAP in a GRC. I would not be surprised if you see just joint teams in the upcoming GE.