• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need a new aircon-any suggestions

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have used Daikin, then Sharp and currently Panasonic for about a year already. I still prefer the Sharp to be honest.

i was told that SHARP is not climatised here in sg becos we use copper pipe
as compared to japan where aluminium pipe are used there.

how true is it?

mind to share why u like SHARP?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Move to angmo countries lah.

No need air con nonsense.

Open the window it is already aircon.

Not true.
Even for us in Toronto, where winter could be from Nov to March, and the temperature could be minus 15 to minus 20C during Jan and Feb, we need air conditioning for the summer months.
In the past few years, due to global warming, the month of June had been warm or hot (day time high could be 25 to 30C, whereas 20 to 30 years ago, June was very pleasant, high of about 22C, with low humidity), and air conditioning provides comfortable temperature for restful sleep.
Without air conditioning in July and August, especially during the heat wave when the temperature could be as high as 35C with a humidex of 40C (and when the overnight low is above 20C, the air is not cool enough for the next morning for us to feel refreshed), the interior of the house remains hot, which makes it difficult to go to sleep, let alone restful sleep.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Daikin and Panasonic are reliable choices but why did you eliminate Mitsubishi from your options?
Of the three brands, I thought Mitsubishi Inverters offered the most flexibility because they could run on both R22 and R410a without having to replace internal piping.
At least that's how it was sold to me.

We have 2 units of Mitsubishi heat pumps (work as air conditioners during the summer months, and provide heat during spring and fall, but when the outside temperature drops to around minus 10C, the heat pump does not work efficiently).
May I suggest that you consider air conditioning units with a high "SEER" factor, which are more efficient and use less electricity.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can also consider a portable aircon.

I've only considered a portable aircon as a temporary backup. To use one you have to have some ugly things stick out of the window for the air intake. It's not practical for a permanent setup for condos because they have certain rules about unauthorised modifications to a units facade. This is suppose to maintain the buildings aesthetics.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 10+ year old Daikin has dieded & it will cost $800 & to repair & there's no guarantee that the repair will last. So I'm looking for a new multi-system aircon.
The aircon will have to cool 3 rooms.

Would be interested in hearing the opinions out people have on the various brands.

Who did you use to do the installation? I've heard of Gain City, are they good?

Never buy electrical or electronics products from Gain City and Audio House. The salesmen at Sim Lim are 10 times more honest.

alvaircon

There are actually various air-conditioning brands in Singapore market now. Most of the brands are Mitsubishi Electric, Daikin, Panasonic, Fujitsu and many more. However, it is dependable on which type of air-conditioner you are looking for and it's features or design. ALV Aircon Singapore offers various air-con services such as aircon service, chemical cleaning, annual maintenance contract, repair and installation.

In Singapore market, the more popular air-con brands are Mitsubishi Electric and Daikin where many Singaporeans choose to install for their premises. Hence, you can find out more about these 2 brands before buying.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problems with newer aircons is that manufacturers are cutting back on the quality of material they use e.g. using thinner metals & plastics
If you do a chemical clean of the aircon you may run into problems because the chemicals used are pretty strong.

Doing regular cleaning may avoid serious problems that need chemical cleaning.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how about a portable aircon?akira or europace.iv decided against buying a trends portable aircon,although they have a strong airflow,they seem a bit crude and simplistic in design,like a loser sinkie brand.

if someone can recommend me a good portable aircon brand and model.....my old europace is 5 years old and getting on in age.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how about a portable aircon?akira or europace.iv decided against buying a trends portable aircon,although they have a strong airflow,they seem a bit crude and simplistic in design,like a loser sinkie brand.

if someone can recommend me a good portable aircon brand and model.....my old europace is 5 years old and getting on in age.

i have a real centralized air-con system from carrier. if you use the balls carrier version, it will only cool the groin area. for portables, i don't recommend it as you need to open up a window and vent the exhaust outwards. if your window is directly under the afternoon sun the cooling efficiency diminishes and air-con will not work optimally. it's best to have your compressor located under a shade in a cooler corner outside the home. anyway, your portable unit new or old is probably made in china, blows lead in your face, melts in the heat of summer, leaks chlorine and gutter oil, and trips your electrical power due to a short, and to add injury to insult, burns down your room. avoid china products in all circumstances. :p

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have a real centralized air-con system from carrier. if you use the balls carrier version, it will only cool the groin area. for portables, i don't recommend it as you need to open up a window and vent the exhaust outwards. if your window is directly under the afternoon sun the cooling efficiency diminishes and air-con will not work optimally. it's best to have your compressor located under a shade in a cooler corner outside the home. anyway, your portable unit new or old is probably made in china, blows lead in your face, melts in the heat of summer, leaks chlorine and gutter oil, and trips your electrical power due to a short, and to add injury to insult, burns down your room. avoid china products in all circumstances. :p

no cchoice im a peasant and every bit of cooling even by two degrees i can get is important in this ungodly stupid sinkie weather,it might blow lead in my face but at least it makes the air smell fresh like an ion ozone generator.and i have no idea whats made in china,most of the compressors are made in japan i think while the

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
i was told that SHARP is not climatised here in sg becos we use copper pipe
as compared to japan where aluminium pipe are used there.
how true is it?

mind to share why u like SHARP?

Pure bs. The alu fins may b new as opposed to copper but it is decade old tech. Sharp n mitsu deploy blue fins which is more density ie more pixels hence better sex xchange I mean heat xhcange. But these r at the outdoor units not indoor. So no issue no one chemical wash the fun. Not even huckleberry fin.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I visited Courts to look at the models they carry. I did ask about re-doing the pipes. He told me that copper should last 25 years. I am a bit dubious that things lasts so long:smile:
Will visit the showrooms of Daikin and Gain City & one of the things I'll ask them is their opinion about this. Suspect that the only way to tell is to do a visual inspection.

For me I will go with a re-piping. I actually want to ask them if there is an option to have larger drainage pipes. Does anyone know if using larger pipes will help avoid the common problem of water leaking:confused: This usually happens when the drainage pipes get clogged & water leaks the wrong way. Hoping a larger pipe will reduce the problem of clogging:confused:

From my visit to courts I found out that almost all the aircons they carry are made in Thailand. Only the Panasonic brand is still made in Malaysia.
it is best to change the piping once you change the compressor to avoid future leaking problems

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is best to change the piping once you change the compressor to avoid future leaking problems

Fix only what is broken. The drainage pipes may not be firty n horny inside the AC pipes for 10 year old system still like same r410a gas but this one may need to change if coupling is up to no good.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard from a gaincity salesman that sg cheng hu gonna decom gas for non iverter in near future as cheng hu is promoting energy savings...anyone know is true ?

Nos of ticks n fleas very important as inverter more energy saving.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my experience in meeting customers, most of the companies and bosses located at Tagore Lane and Bukit Batok Crescent are quite fucked up.

How cum no one recommend neo gim huah the aircon man from fap. He give you Sg50 discount n a free slap to go along.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to visit the Daiken showroom at Angmo Kio & obtained some product brochures & got some recommendations on contractors who are familiar with Daikin products. I found out the warranty when re-using old pipes. .

Pure bs. Only compressor n control card from Japan. Everything else from Thailand or china.