• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need a new aircon-any suggestions

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard from a gaincity salesman that sg cheng hu gonna decom gas for non iverter in near future as cheng hu is promoting energy savings...anyone know is true ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard from a gaincity salesman that sg cheng hu gonna decom gas for non iverter in near future as cheng hu is promoting energy savings...anyone know is true ?

Since when have they cared about anything but $$$. It's easy for them to say whatever they want to say because they do not bare the cost. Ultimately it's Sporeans who will pay the higher bills.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Move to angmo countries lah.

No need air con nonsense.

Open the window it is already aircon.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went to visit the Daiken showroom at Angmo Kio & obtained some product brochures & got some recommendations on contractors who are familiar with Daikin products. I found out that my old model uses the R22 gas & not the newer R-410A. However I may be able to re-use my original piping as Daikin does not void the warranty when re-using old pipes. I'll find out for certain when one of the contractors that Daikin recommended does an onsite inspection.

Found out that the parts are from Japan but the units are assembled in Thailand.

I have visited Courts, Best Denki and Gain City but only Gain City carries Daikin.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Move to angmo countries lah.

No need air con nonsense.

Open the window it is already aircon.

The houses in Canada are very well insulated. So even though it might be nice & cool outside, much like having an outdoor aircon, it can get rather uncomfortably stuffy indoors. That's why they still use airconditioing in many buildings in Canada.

So to really feel the cool air you have to "remove" the windows & not just open the windows. This was what I did when I was living there:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You just discover it??? had been there for ages...you must go out more often... ha ha ha

Last time I visited the Tagore area was over 15 years ago. Back then I would often visit the Teachers Estate with colleagues & have some lunch there.

The only reason I was recently there was because I was visiting Thomson Plaza. While there I noticed that there was a shuttle & it was FREE. So I decided to hop on it & sight see:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Try Sharp. It comes with Plasmacluster.

Considererd it but Daikin has something called "Titanium apatite photocatalytic air purifying filter" which is suppose to remove bacteria. Don't know how good it is but will last 3 years before you have to replace the filter

From visiting the stores brands like Mitsubishi, Fuji, Panasonic, LG, Samsung.... seem to dominate the market. I've narrowed my choice to Panasonic & Daiken but will probably get a Daiken because my other older unit is also a Daiken.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've narrowed my choice to Panasonic & Daiken but will probably get a Daiken because my other older unit is also a Daiken.

Daikin and Panasonic are reliable choices but why did you eliminate Mitsubishi from your options?
Of the three brands, I thought Mitsubishi Inverters offered the most flexibility because they could run on both R22 and R410a without having to replace internal piping.
At least that's how it was sold to me.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Daikin and Panasonic are reliable choices but why did you eliminate Mitsubishi from your options?
Of the three brands, I thought Mitsubishi Inverters offered the most flexibility because they could run on both R22 and R410a without having to replace internal piping.
At least that's how it was sold to me.

Heard from the service guy that other people who got Mitsubishi Electric in my condo eventually complain of "not cold" when their units age. :confused: That's why I will be choosing a slightly more powerful unit than I requires to give a safety margin.

Panasonic & Daikin have many options on more powerful units. I heard that Mitsubishi Heavy Industry units are more powerful but they are not as common as ME units, at least they are not being sold by Courts & Best Denki. Someone also mentioned that parts for a MHI may be a problem.

The concern with re-using your old pipes has more to do the condition of the old pipes especially because the newer R410a gas runs at greater pressure. An option is to just re-use the old pipes & only replace them if leaks develop. For me the cost of replacing the hidden pipes is about $1,500:( That's what my neighbour paid for his pipes.

I'll decide after the contractor has had a chance to take a look at my old pipes.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here is a warning to those who have the old pipes for the R22 gas, used by the older aircon systems. Most installers don't have the manpower or don't want to spend the time to do re-piping especially if one's pipes are concealed e.g. in Condos. Many of these aircon shops are telling customers that they can re-use their old pipes with the newer R-410A gas that the newer models use.

I have heard from those who chose NOT to do re-piping & these people have regretted the decision because after a year their pipes leaked. The R410A gas works under greater pressure & leaks are a possibility. If you don't want to do re-piping get an older model that uses R22. The R410A gas is also more expensive . So if your pipes start to leak you will have to replace your pipes and the the R410A gas which will cost $$$.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be honest, I also went for Mitsubishi Starmex Inverters even though I had Daikin previously. Like Johnny, I did my research on all the available brands but at the end of the day, what swayed it for me were the following factors:

1) Price
2) Reliability (Gain City also threw in an additional one year guarantee on top of the existing one supplied by the manufacturer).
3) Efficiency, energy savings and running costs.
4) Reputation

Daikin was slightly more expensive on price but for 2,3 and 4, MES is evenly matched with Daikin.

Also, MES compressors and fan coils are extremely quiet. You hardly notice that they are switched on.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be honest, I also went for Mitsubishi Starmex Inverters even though I had Daikin previously. Like Johnny, I did my research on all the available brands but at the end of the day, what swayed it for me were the following factors:

1) Price
2) Reliability (Gain City also threw in an additional one year guarantee on top of the existing one supplied by the manufacturer).
3) Efficiency, energy savings and running costs.
4) Reputation

Daikin was slightly more expensive on price but for 2,3 and 4, MES is evenly matched with Daikin.

Also, MES compressors and fan coils are extremely quiet. You hardly notice that they are switched on.

Replacing an aircon seems more complicated than I thought:(

This is especially true with the issues with the different gases involved. Stay with RS22 or switch to the newer but more expensive R410A:confused:. If I stick with a RS22 will it be difficult to get the gas 5+ years down the road. The new gas runs at 1.6 times higher pressure & my current pipes are getting old.

I'll probably replace my pipes & will be using someone that my neighbours recommend. He may not be the cheapest but he is familiar with the outlay of my condo & has proven to do good work.
Using someone recommended by neighbours I probably won't have to jaga too closely his workmanship. Something I worry about using other larger companies which have mixed reviews.

I'll probably go with Daikin because I now have 2 Daikin outdoor systems and need to replace only 1 of them. Going with Daikin will simplify servicing as I will only have to deal with one company & I will be able to recycle my remotes:smile: