• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My Life (Malay) True Story.

OldPlaza

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please do not think that the malays or indians are marginalised , they are all given similar opportunities but they must prove themselves.

One thing to add: some of the employers are not quite comfortable to go all-out with all-English environment just yet. It is no longer just a sprinkle of English words embedded in the conversations here and there, but a complete, understandable English composition/sentences.

Putting non-chinese-speaking (NOT non-chinese-person) employees on the job, increase additional 'efforts' in communicating effectively. Not to mention, extra sensitivitiy in culture/religion.

Having said that, Singapore-based companies should employ people base on merits/experience, not race. If language is not an issue.

OldPlaza

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope can bring some light to those who may be ignorant and for some with intention to twist the history.

Hello, why not stretched your history a bit longer, when orang-uton still roam the land, should we leave this country and let the nature takes over once again.

Malays have enough land and time in South East Asia to prove its ability/entitlement/pride/intelligentce to make this region a better place for its dwellers. No need to bring out history (that can not be changed), but how to chart their path for their future.

This is nothing more than a racial discrimination if somebody trying to mislead
the whole world as if Singapore is Chinese population came first before or the Chinese as the local inhabitant of the island all throughout history.

OK, I heard you, chinese are the last to set foot on this land.
So.. do they contribute less to this country, love less about this country ?

Bottom line, you just want some special right/benefits, just being the 'first comers', at other expense? Chinese came here to toil the land and pave the roads, while the kings and leaders collected their 'money/contribution', in the comfort of thier golden house and high horse.

Whether, the chinese or the indians want to justify that, this land was developed, and the fact that Singapore is as successful as it is today, I say "kudos" to them, but the fact remains, the land belongs to the Malay. The chinese took over the land that was never theirs.

Why no malay came out and fought to the last drop of blood to drive Britishs out of this land 40 - 50 years ago?

For those of you who do not know about Singapore or it's history. Allow me tell you a brief history about Singapore.

Singapore lies in the Malay Archipelago which consist of at least the following;

a) Malaysia
b) Indonesia
c) Brunei
d) Philippines
e) Borneo
f) Sumatra
etc

When the British India Company led by Stamford Raffles came to South East Asia
looking for a new base for their colonisation, they so call "founded"
Singapore. It's an island to the South of Malaya which is now called Malaysia.
The island main habitants are the Malay.

Blame this habitants for not kick butts at that time.

During these period the British open up the port of Singapore for trading. Then
come the immigrants from;

a) China
b) India
c) Middle East
etc

Over the next few years the number of immigrants increased by leap and bound.
The Malay majority was soon over taken by the Chinese. However be reminded this
does not make the island to be classified as chinese not even in the United Nation recognition.

Malaya which included Singapore became independence from the British on the 31st
August 1957. Malaya was renamed Malaysia. Due to political differences etc
Singapore gained independence from Malaysia on the 09th August 1965.

The National Language of Singapore remains as Malay up to this day. English is the
official Business Language. The National Anthem of Singapore is Majulah
Singapura which is sang in Malay. The drill command is given in the Malay language.

Hi, if LKY REALLY, REALLY wanted at that time, he could very much make Chinese or Tamil the only official language. This shows his sensitivity towards the people in this country, despite chinese majority.

But the chinese are lucky to have Lee kuan Yew support over the years not until LKY turn his back against his own race for his own greed.

One or two years of success could be attributed to 'luck'. This country has gone thru many, many times of economic turbulence, racial tensions, war, threats... and somehow, manage to remain resilence and striving, this is MORE than just luck!
Why Malaysia/Indo do not have 'luck' to become more successful ?

Surely the Malays are wondering why in the employment act did not enforce against race discriminition and why no one would ever brought it up in the parliament?

Who say race-discrimination is legal here ?
Go and look at CPF, HDB, those government jobs are disproportionately non-chinese. Will you go and question this ?

It is politically unsound isn't it to bring such an issue up, and the parliament is so "chinese" that i don't think they would bring this up, for all u know the ISD (LKY's favourite home for anyone interested) would be used against the one who brought this up, like they say, the truth hurts.

So, the parliment has to be 20% malay or more, to be considered a 'balanced' society?

Looking for 'free lunch for malay' society? maybe you can find it in Malaysia.

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether, the chinese or the indians want to justify that, this land was developed, and the fact that Singapore is as successful as it is today, I say "kudos" to them, but the fact remains, the land belongs to the Malay. The chinese took over the land that was never theirs.

Why no malay came out and fought to the last drop of blood to drive Britishs out of this land 40 - 50 years ago?

Whethere or not malay has contributed were delibrately not mentioned, as I just wanted to see whether anyone will be honest enough to share their sincere view about malay who has actually did play their part in building what singapore has become.

Perhaps you are one in many are taking effortlessly trying to change singapore history.

We, malay are patient by nature and has been tolerate for more than a decades, until then, times will tell if we still can.

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
While you Sinkies are fighting with one another here, the number of PRs is steadily increasing behind our backs. Unlike FTs, PRs are allowed to buy HDB resales (among other things), directly affecting us. They can work here for 20-30 years, then retire back home with their earned S$. And, they can continue to rent out their HDBs here collecting rentals (say, S$2K or RMB10,000 or Rs66,000) and shake legs back in their 3rd world home countries.... think about it... so pls stop fighting among us and start thinking how to deal with this foreign invasion!

xpov8k.jpg

OldPlaza

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whethere or not malay has contributed were delibrately not mentioned, as I just wanted to see whether anyone will be honest enough to share their sincere view about malay who has actually did play their part in building what singapore has become.

Any one who studied SG history would clearly know that Malay has been always a part of SG society. They are a part of society in contributing in nation building, economy, religion, literature and etc. As such, they are just another citizen in this country, no special rights/benefits given to them. Otherwise, there would be tons of people with all kinds of reasons that come out and ask for those 'special treatment'.

Perhaps you are one in many are taking effortlessly trying to change singapore history.

I did not even remotely suggest to change/distort history. Live in 'history' do not earn you an extra bowl of rice, plan and work for the future will.
Put your disgruntle down, and lift up your spirits! Tomorrow will be better.

We, malay are patient by nature and has been tolerate for more than a decades, until then, times will tell if we still can.

Not only malay.. white, yellow, black, chocolate.. all think they are the best in the world too. If all are good, no one is good!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you missed his point by a mile. He wrote that because from the postings from this thread, it was quite apparent that people were not aware that Malay land is not confined to Malaysia. The indigenous people now come under various nationalities within this sub-region. In geo-poiltical term, its called "the sea of malays" because the whole sub-region is essentially an archipelago with seas in the midst and around the permeters.

The Indian prince in Kedah and Chinese and other races are no different to the Mongols and Manchurians in China and the Moguls in India.

The concept of property as in real estate and land of the indigenous people are very far removed. It was interesting to find that people think Singapore as Lot 2, House 4 found in the classifieds of the Straits Times to be bought and sold.

What is releavant to bring up is that Malaysia gave up Singapore giving a guarantee to the UN as to its sovereignity. Indonesia has refused to recognise that.

The Malays though acknowledged as the indigenous people of the land however have to be realistic and politically savvy. If they step aside not prepared to partake in serious politics of the country and hoping for racial suzerainity over others in the near future because of the land, then they are kidding themselves. They however can drive the agenda of being the first custodians and be prepared to look after it and foster its growth. I know that Singapore Malays that have done well always consider themselves better than their brethens across the causeway as they did it under their own steam.

I always wonder what is this nostalgia on holding on to past history. You give me land, take my land from the past etc. At the risk of sounding like a racist, let me ask this question. Do we really know where the Malay comes from? One interesting fact I know of is that Kedah, was formerly ruled by an indian prince.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether, the chinese or the indians want to justify that, this land was developed, and the fact that Singapore is as successful as it is today, I say "kudos" to them, but the fact remains, the land belongs to the Malay. The chinese took over the land that was never theirs.:confused:

WTF:confused:

u mean the freehold property I bought does not belong to me but to the Malays?? Shit kena conned by developer..

I understand now why most Malays are so laid-back in their lives.. they r still waiting for the day to come when they can claim back the land that belong to them rightfully..:biggrin::cool:

wait huh wait huh ok.. durian dropping from tree liao..

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Balls to your sandbox! What the hell is a sandbox? Can use simple English and not invent your own stupid words?

Abang,

It has nothing to do with race or religion, i am a chinese "O" level. When i enter into NS, i was selected for NAVY, i was lucky to travel to a few places. After NS, i worked overseas in Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Brunei, Australia, and flew around a few countries. I have come to this theory:

a. The world is make up of many many different sandboxes. The rules and responsibilities are different.
b. In each country, there are different sandboxes (eg. races). Even within the same industry, the different companies competing are like different sandboxes.
c. Drop the idea of races, religion and etc. - look at it from the view of different sand boxes. Everywhere in the world, you will meet, strong and weak, smart and stupid, hard working and lazy. If you define it clearly, there is several types of people you will meet. The solution just learn how to deal with them.
d. Sg is a sandbox that i cannot see my self achieving the vision that i want so i got out of this sandbox to another sandbox - Canada. Having said that, at different age, different sand boxes is suitable for you or your circumstances. I position my kids to have 3 nationality therefore - if ever, at different stages of their life in which ever sandbox. They find their treasure and fun - so be it.
e. In fact, different sandbox will label you differently, sg - I was labelled like a worker ant. Sucess was defined as to be working in a factory. Marry a M'sian girl (primary education - the best), have 2 kids, staying in a 3 room flat and eventually retire on my CPF and my kids will repeat the cycle. Even the girls you try to date will measure you like that.
f. When i got a job working for the Sultan of Brunei, I was told by everybody not to take it. They even went to the extent to research in the library to frighten me into staying in the sg sandbox and live in that so called "good life".
g. So the path forward my friend, i suggest - stop blaming anybody or expect anybody to give you special privilege. Go look closely at the rules of the sandbox:wink:. You will find the sucess you want regardless of the races, religion or even education level.

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Any one who studied SG history would clearly know that Malay has been always a part of SG society. They are a part of society in contributing in nation building, economy, religion, literature and etc. As such, they are just another citizen in this country, no special rights/benefits given to them. Otherwise, there would be tons of people with all kinds of reasons that come out and ask for those 'special treatment'.

>> In terms of Rights (not privilege) I think you need to re-look at UN Resolution Constitutional agreement before I proceed further.

I did not even remotely suggest to change/distort history. Live in 'history' do not earn you an extra bowl of rice, plan and work for the future will.
Put your disgruntle down, and lift up your spirits! Tomorrow will be better.

There's never be better than to pour what need to be made known to ignorant the chinese who has taken the "Rights" advantage over the malay for decades.

Didn't your chinese Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew have said many times, to maintain 75% chinese population in this island.

Not only malay.. white, yellow, black, chocolate.. all think they are the best in the world too. If all are good, no one is good!

You misunderstood my statement, malay has begin to keep extremely low profile, to the stage until the malay almost turn into extinction. We have keep our patient and tolerance for decades, like a volcano, it is a matter of time when it will erupt perhaps when the heat become unbearable.

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know some ignorant thought 1964 history can never re-surface. It fine with me.
Afterall, chinese always thought malay are dumbfuck, pathentic one single human race on earth.

I accepted it with gracefully.

Thank you.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You misunderstood my statement, malay has begin to keep extremely low profile, to the stage until the malay almost turn into extinction. We have keep our patient and tolerance for decades, like a volcano, it is a matter of time when it will erupt perhaps when the heat become unbearable.

...eerrr ...abang, jangan violent leh ....alternative boleh guna air con leh ....:o

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know some ignorant thought 1964 history can never re-surface. It fine with me.
Afterall, chinese always thought malay are dumbfuck, pathentic one single human race on earth.

I accepted it with gracefully.

Thank you.

pathentic :confused:

everytime i come to this forum, i learn new words.. :biggrin:

pathentic : authentic and pathetic combined is it??:biggrin:

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is releavant to bring up is that Malaysia gave up Singapore giving a guarantee to the UN as to its sovereignity. Indonesia has refused to recognise that.

>> In case If you miss some points, The emergence of human rights as a subject of concern in international law effects sovereignty, this is where UN Constitution Agreements during the separation kicks-in.

The Malays though acknowledged as the indigenous people of the land however have to be realistic and politically savvy. If they step aside not prepared to partake in serious politics of the country and hoping for racial suzerainity over others in the near future because of the land, then they are kidding themselves. They however can drive the agenda of being the first custodians and be prepared to look after it and foster its growth. I know that Singapore Malays that have done well always consider themselves better than their brethens across the causeway as they did it under their own steam.

>> We accepted and respected the law for decades, and at the same times we have been fooled with the national pledge. We tried to put 1964 history past behind, we have worked along with the chinese and indians together to make singapore better and peaceful living space among us.

We even condemned terrorist act by local singaporean, we swore never compromise with terrorists activity. We put our singaporean regardless of race in our priority to save guard their safety in our neighbourhood even if it cost our own life.

But what do we get in return, no thank you is fine, but job descrimination which started as early as in 1990's, soon the trend keeps continue is what we get in return. (not during the foreigners job invasion)

Tell me where is our loyalty lies?

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal
...eerrr ...abang, jangan violent leh ....alternative boleh guna air con leh ....:o

Hari-hari air con bill naik, tak pakai badan panas, pakai aircon bill naik ...habis....mati, tak pakai pun boleh mati, so how?

Kalau sama-sama boleh tolong, tak aircon pun tak apa, right or not?

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hari-hari air con bill naik, tak pakai badan panas, pakai aircon bill naik ...habis....mati, tak pakai pun boleh mati, so how?

Kalau sama-sama boleh tolong, tak aircon pun tak apa, right or not?

... alamak ... kalau macam ini ... saya naik bus pergi seaside tangkap sea breeze ....:o

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Abang, I was born in Singapore, and therefore, not a native speaker of English. However, please allow me to correct your English, in green, for your consideration. Good luck.

Dear fellow Singaporeans,

I've been visiting this site for quite sometimes [sometime, no "s"] as [ a ] guest since early this year. I enjoyed reading most of the posting and have gained meaningful insight [ delete story ] story from some of the member[s] who has [have] been posting regularly.

I thought it might be a good idea to share you wth my true life story about being a Malay living among the [delete most] most chinese [ capital C for Chinese ] majority in Singapore.

My intention is to share what I have been [delete going] going through during the time I was looking for job, and how miserable I am to take so long to get a decent job.

Although today, my life has improves [improved significantly] alot working with non-chinese boss.

I just hope the chinese now can see themselves what is going on that is already happening in the job competition between the chinese and foreigner is as the same as me at that time while I was looking for a job.

Back in year 2000, I (malay) and my two (chinese) friends was [ were -- my two Chinese friends and I ]looking for job in the same field, it took me near [ nearly or about ] 6 months to get a job, while my two chinese friends got a job [ in ]less than 1 month.

I felt so sad (cried silently) at the sametime I also feel so disgusted whenever job advert would publish SPEAK CHINESE preferred, I force myself to just apply [ for ] the job but [ not but, although ] never had a chance at all.

Before I got a job, I went for 1 job interview (different company) and the interviewer is [was] chinese ask[ed] me if I can speak mandarin? Of course I said "No", then he told me that this position need to speak chinese.

I ask[ed] him, "Do the bosses speak mandarin too?", He replied, "Yes", So I ask him a final question, how about expatriate "White" bosses?", He [was] stunned and kept mum for awhile.

In the end, I thank him for this "deliberate making fun of me" interview and his time.

After few months later, a job opportunity break-through in my email for interview.

After attended the interview for the 2nd times [no s] , finally a job offered, interviewed by american boss and his FC chinese.

American boss is not stingy about pay, so long the person fits well, he do [does not or did not] not mind to pay slightly above market rate which I was offered $2700 per month [which was the $2,700 per month offered to me].

I have been working for about 10 years now, reporting to him directly and has been promoted twice from Executive - Manager position. I've work[ed] hard to prove my worthy [ my worth ] and to appreciate him for giving me a chance to work with and for him.

I also knew that some of my chinese colleagues are not very happy with my promotion and at times making [made] things difficult for me, but I count myself lucky to have an understanding and objective [capital A] american boss towards the problems I am facing.

Soon after, I begin to open up 2 jobs vacancy [two job vacancies], I interviewed not just the [capital M] malay, but to [delete 'to'] [capital C] chinese and [capital I] indian as well. After much consideration, I propose[d] the suitable candidate to my boss for his approval.

But my boss said, "you are a manager, you dont need me for this, it is your call, I have already given a go-ahead for the recruitment and budget, and it is your responsibility to ensure your department continue[s] to be in [delete in] operational",

In the end, I employ[ed] 1 chinese and 1 indian, and for the unfortunate malay candidate,I wrote an email to him and explain about his unsuccessful due to his lack of experiences [delete s], I also seek his permission to keep his resume for suitable opening job position in the near future.

I do not want to become like chinese who failed to not act fairly in the job employment. [I do not wish to be like most of the Chinese managers, who do not appear to act fairly when hiring and employing others]

I kept wondering, why must there be discrimination? This is Singapore, aren't we suppose to be ONE Singaporean [one Singapore for all Singaporeans]?

To think that this land belongs to the native Malay, yet we have been discriminated in our own land.

Lee Kuan Yew have failed to fulfill the rights for malay, in the presence of United Nation to abide by the agreement during separation agreements.

Even so, many malays like me did not or even ever ask for special treatment, in fact, we welcome fair and equal opportunity for all singaporean[s] regardless of race, all thanks to the national service, many of us have successfully put aside our culture [cultural and/or racial] differences through making new friends.

Along the way, we learn to respect each other [each other means two parties, whereas one another means more than two parties] believes, we also sensitively not to create friction among us about religion, yet we happily to allow some religion topic exchanges just for our own personal interest or knowledge purposes.

To-date, I am very grateful to some Chinese and Indian [some of my Chinese and Indian schoolmates] from my schoolmate, national service, reservist and some colleagues who continue to be my friends for more than a decade.

Lastly, it still hurts me deeply to see such discrimination to continue to exist in this tiny island, Why must my fellow singaporean chinese create race discrimination in the job opportunity?

I apologize for any grammar [grammatical] errors if any, and for being long-winded.

Thank you again for your precious time and may you have a great evening.

Warmest regards,

Malay-Singaporean

Last edited:

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal
... alamak ... kalau macam ini ... saya naik bus pergi seaside tangkap sea breeze ....:o

Hahaha.... thanks lot for the nice chat, at least my mind can relax for now.
:smile:

How I wish more singaporean can be friends rather than foe, be it in real life or in cyberspace.

Thanks again...... :wink: