• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My Life (Malay) True Story.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read this interesting article about being a Malay in Singapore and how you are not being treated fairly. I will share with you my experiences of hiring Malay workers too and you may well understand why they are seen to be poor employees.

I employed more than 10 delivery drivers in in company during it's 15 years of operation, there are malays , indians and chinese taking up this position and at the end of the day , I lost faith in the malay worker because of his poor attitude and irresponsible character. The indian driver was not too bad except that he chain smoked to thedismay of other staff and feeling guilty conscious he decided to go ............

In my haste to meet a client , I missed out on something which I am now adding on.

Imagine the frustrations and disappointment that I get when this driver after being treated so well and yet he bit my hand that fed him. During Chinese New Year , English New Year celebrations he received ang pows from me like all other workers , but when Hari Raya comes , he is the only one who gets a bigger ang pow( bearing in mind that he is poor I gave him $200 each time ) from me.I even buy him goodies ( fruits, gaseous drinks ,toys etc )regularly for his family but he got the audacity to walk out on me without giving due notice. He simply said PSA job must start next day , and he is using his "maternity leave" which he has not taken during the time when his wfe gave birth ( months ago) . I did not realise that the husband is entitled to such leave until he showed me the print-out from MOM , but why did he not take leave during his wife's delivery and use this to off-set leaving me unguarded? Short of telling him , you planned well to fix me up , I shrugged my shoulder and told him , too bad you do not appreciate kindness .

For some of the Malays to be taken seriously ,they must change their attitude otherwise the road to progress will be hard. Those that have got out of the poverty syndrome with better education and hard work , I sincerely wish that they will try to counsel and assist the underprivileged who are still trapped in their unfortunate situations to wake up and challenge themselves instead of waiting for charity. Nothing will happen to raise their standard of living if they remain conceited and refused to work hard , everyone in Singapore is given equal oppoetunity to survive , if you chose to be lazy and stubborn , no one can help. Why are some poor families with odd-job parents able to make progress in their next generation? We heard so many stories of taxi drivers, labourers , washerwomen etc having children who outshine in their education (which is offered on equal terms to every race ) and became doctors, politicians,lawyers etc. They worked hard and got themselves out of the poverty trap , their future generations will benefit from their ancestors' wisdom.

Nobody owes the malay a living , they must earn it with dignity and hardwork. Most important of all is attitude towards life .

This story here reinforces what i and a few other forummers here have been saying.

It's not really discrmination. Of course there's no such thing as 100% no discrmination but in SG's context it's very small.

The examples given in the above quote show that there are some malays that are totally irresponsible and extremely ungrateful too. I bet these are the type of people who would cry racial discrimination at the 1st sign of trouble too.

Boss is so helpful to help the worker by buying things and giving additional cash but employee does not care.

Both sides need to work together not just the malays complaining about everything but not putting in effort to improve.

Seriously this is also the mindset that many youngsters have developed and also the national situation.

Take note how many times have people chosen to sweep these racial topics under the carpet rather than discuss them. If there is a discussion it's mostly malays pointing accusing fingers at the chinese for every single slight perceived or otherwise instead of doing self reflection. Mind you when they are told to do self reflection accusations of racism come into the picture again.

That is the situation outside of this forum. I can assure you if this topic was posted in some national forum like stomp, asia one or straits times, cna for eg and people like hossey, me and a few others posted what we wrote here, most likely there would be people accusing us of racism.

There are many people brainwashed by this. Whenever racial incidents arise instead of discussing them properly people would immediately side with the malays and brand chinese as racists, anyone who speaks so otherwise is told to shut up and in the end everything is swept under the carpet. Nobody learns anything. The malays do not learn to be more responsible and hardworking and blame others like the chinese for eg. Chinese people feeling treated unfairly but are not allowed to voice it out for fear of being branded a racist and of course get angry at the malays. Malays getting insulted thinking that people look down on them by giving them chances thinking that they cannot succeed on a level playing field like all chinese when ironically they were the ones who wanted things to be this way.

http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?t=36709

Here is a link to a story i have written to show the mentality of how some people here think. That's the whole point of the story not about stereotypes, some idiots there did not grasp the point at all.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing is stopping anyone from learning mandarin. Buy some books go to the chinese chamber etc. Watch more channel 8 drama serials.
QUOTE]

Bro, talk is easy. Not everyone is linguistically inclined

That's obvious, then again u have to at least put in a bit of effort.

If i was a minority living in japan should i attempt to master some japanese or should i simply say hey i'm not linguistically inclined and then start to accuse japanese firms for not employing me because i cannot speak jap.

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
intention of this gahment is to hope PRs becum citizens ....:o

Yes, the scholars who came out with this brilliant scheme should be awarded the "dumbest" scheme ever to conceive in Singapore.

By making PRs pay $1 more than SGs is paying, they expect PRs to jump and quickly queue up for Singapore citizenships?

HAHAHAHAHA!

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, your story is so typical of a small local company.

Being a small company, your terms are not as attractive as of those MNCs or big companies. Your ang pao is peanuts compared to 2 to 6 months bonus. Moreover, PSA could pay a whopping $1000 over the basic salary you are offering.

Please note the difference between a worker showing bad attitude and feeling aggrieved because he has been underpaid.

In big corporation, terms of employment are clear and formalised. They are included in the contract. In your case, they are ad-hoc, resulting in your worker having to tell you what is paternity leave.

It really sounds like you are the one taking advantage of the workers, in particular the Malays before the arrival of cheaper foreign workers. Imagine if one day the government stops issuing work permits, you would be the one begging them to work for you.

Thanks for proving the hardship of the minority race due to cheap foreign competition. By the way, cost of living is high, you know.

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
I engaged a foreign worker , his pay is so much lesser but I still pay him a decent salary instead of taking advantage of his situation. He works hard and has good manners , it's already 3 months and each day he makes me feel happier.

Bro, the reason why a foreign worker on WP is working a lot harder is because they typically borrowed money to land the job in Singapore and they are afraid of being sent back. If the employer cancels their WPs, they will have to leave Singapore.... (I hope you didn't collect money from agent for recruiting the FT).

In any case, for some of those who got PR, you can typically see a change in their working attitude. They began to slack and perhaps even show you "colour"....

pachinko

Alfrescian
Loyal
When my company had an opening for a storeman , I insisted that we should go for a malay instead of chinese as I strongly feel chinese will be very calculative and demanding. They are also very proud and will not accept admonishment if they do wrong. So we employed a malay , unfortunately he let us down , as usual he vanishes without informing and when we got in touch with him on phone the next day , he said wife called urgent and must go back. In the SAF , it means AWOL , but he cant even tell me what so urgent that he has to rush back without informing in advance. Probably not a genuine case but his simple mindedness gave him away , he could be rushing off for a puff of the dragon or some illicit business that he could not inform.

Then I asked him if he wants to continue work , he did not even apologise but just said "alright lah" . Thats their style , since we cant get replacement so promptly , we continued with him. Not for long , he did not turn up for work after 2 days, again cannot reach him on phone, called at his home in the evening and he said he's got family problem.Asked if he's coming to work tomorrow , he said"See first" . I then told him it's alright for him not to come anymore.

This process repeated itself a few times and I gave up after trying out a few malay employees.

There are some disadvantages when I considered employing them , as we are a close knit small outfit , we go for lunch and dinner quite regularly , thus we need to go halal to accommodate him . We make it a point to speak in english so that he will not think we are speaking behind his back . There are some other sensitives issues that we try to address to make him feel comfortable but despite all these , we did not fail , it was this worker that destroy our confidence in him. From then on , we go for an indian , at least he is not so unreliable in his work attitude. We learnt to eat curry and some indian cultures too. He's now into his 6th year with us and still maintaining a good attitude.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, the reason why a foreign worker on WP is working a lot harder is because they typically borrowed money to land the job in Singapore and they are afraid of being sent back. If the employer cancels their WPs, they will have to leave Singapore.... (I hope you didn't collect money from agent for recruiting the FT).

In any case, for some of those who got PR, you can typically see a change in their working attitude. They began to slack and perhaps even show you "colour"....

That may be true but pls try to be more rational. He wrote on how many malays gave him attitutde problems, unrealiable, irresponsible etc. He finally hired a FW and this fella is more reliable. Try and put that into perspective.

Why do u always use your emotions? When the malays do wrong u totally ignore it. The moment he writes in praise, actually he's not praising the FW the FW is a better worker than all the malays he employed you immediately come in and give excuses while ignoring all the bad things the malay employees had done.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

it's good finally to see u realising the plights of FTs. u should look at FTs n LTs as humans, then it would mindful about the real causes that FTs have to come so far to our shore to look for jobs.

it's all for the survival of oneself and his family and loved ones.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing bro.

There are some disadvantages when I considered employing them , as we are a close knit small outfit , we go for lunch and dinner quite regularly , thus we need to go halal to accommodate him . We make it a point to speak in english so that he will not think we are speaking behind his back . There are some other sensitives issues that we try to address to make him feel comfortable but despite all these , we did not fail , it was this worker that destroy our confidence in him. From then on , we go for an indian , at least he is not so unreliable in his work attitude. We learnt to eat curry and some indian cultures too. He's now into his 6th year with us and still maintaining a good attitude.

hossey

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have jumped into the wrong conclusion, being a small company I have greater flexibility in employment terms, proud to admit that our terms are better than MNC even for a delivery driver. I included him in a group hospitalisation insurance scheme which many companies dont offer , he has 14 days leave and the ususal compassionate leave, besides that he works 5 days from 9am to 5.30pm. Free lunch on a regular basis at Rendezvous restaurant or Sanur. Free fruits , durians, bananas , cakes, rice, milk powder, pampers , apples and oranges etc every 2 weeks. When I go shopping he is given some gifts for the family too -all because of concern and since I am better off , I wanted to help him and show him what kind of employer I am. But the response is ingratitude , even when I feed my dog and cat at home , they come around and lay next to me , licking me and showed they are very happy when I reach home from work .

Human being does not respond in the same manner , it's very sad and disappointing. I feel every race should be treated equal and not giving special privilege to a particular race which makes them feel conceited and they lose their fighting spirit. Everything to them becomes unimportant , since the government will look after them. This breeds complacency and laziness, it will not help the Nation to progress and prosper once we get contented.

Hope this clarifies your misunderstanding , if you have friends or relatives who are like that , counsel them .

On PSA paying a driver $2500 per month during recession is understandably rubbish , he is trying to smoke me but who suffers at the end of the day? When I advertised for a replacement , many courier company employees and PSA driver applied too , a $35 classified advert drew more than 100 applicants ! I stated the salary as $1,000 to 1,200 since I am looking for a younger man .He started at 1,100 and after 4 years he reached 1,500 ,bonus consistently 1.75 months . I dont think in government service one will get $100 increment annually for delivery man. So do you think a small company like mine is fair?

sampierre

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like many other malays, I've voted PAP for many decades for just one reason, I hope the next election, I hope I dont get to vote PAP for the same reason I had in the past.

Warm regards,
SGM

Hi SG MALAY,

Since you have declared that you are a FERVENT PAP supporter for many years, then what the fcuk are you bitching and complaining about in this forum???
I hate people who after voting for the PAP (for whatever silly reasons best known to themselves), they then turn around to complain about this or about that.

I suggest you continue supporting the PAP and at the same time, suffer from racial discrimination.

SERVE YOU RIGHT, BODOH.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
It amazes me that the common acceptance of discrimination is so widespread.

Its either they do not understand the concept of discrimination or they find it is OK to do so. Just look at the excuses given for the discrimination committed.

Another feather in Singapore's world class standards.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
real incident that happen to me yesterday nite..

i went to a clinic for a medical checkup (for insurance purposes) yesterday at eunos. i arrived at 6.15pm and the clinic has not opened for the nite yet.

so i waited outside. at 6.25pm, a malay guy (about 20+) came and waited outside as well. at 6.27pm, a chinese auntie (50+) came and waited too.

at 6.30pm, the clinic door opened. the auntie rushed in and go straight to the counter, disregarding that 2 pax including me came before her.. i let it go becos must respect old ppl a bit.

the malay guy and me both stand in front of the counter. the clinic assistant is a malay girl. after serving the old auntie, she straightaway serve the malay guy without asking who came 1st..

discrimination? :eek::cool:

chey.. it happens to all races ok..

ozeman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi SG MALAY,

Since you have declared that you are a FERVENT PAP supporter for many years, then what the fcuk are you bitching and complaining about in this forum???
I hate people who after voting for the PAP (for whatever silly reasons best known to themselves), they then turn around to complain about this or about that.

I suggest you continue supporting the PAP and at the same time, suffer from racial discrimination.

SERVE YOU RIGHT, BODOH.

more chinese than malays voted for the pap! does that makes you bodoh?:wink: heh heh...........

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I laughed when I realised that he could not count. And laughed again when he was calling others bodoh. He obviously can't read as well. If he could read, he would have realised that PAP housing racial quotas don't allow concentration of one race in any ward.

Maybe someone should take him aside and using pebbles tell him that it is mathematically impossible for Malays if they all voted for the PAP in any ward, that PAP won't win unless the majority of Chinese voted for the PAP.

more chinese than malays voted for the pap! does that makes you bodoh?:wink: heh heh...........