• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United Season 2009-10

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rooney will easily be Man U's player of the year this season. Age and performance will drive his wages to stratospheric level. We'll see how he performs next season once the deal is done and dusted.

Owen has to change the way he plays the game if he is to prolong his career in the premier league. He has to live with the fact that he can't and should not do sprints like he did before. Pity.

If Rooney keeps away from injuries and keeps riding the up-form curve till June/July, England has a serious chance at the World Cup. The last time this happened was in 1998 with Michael Owen. However, it was short-circuited by a David Beckham send-off, second Alan Shearer goal disallowed and subsequent penalty shoot-up that England (as usual) lost (to Argentina).

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man Utd 4 - AC Milan 0

The Red Devils go marching on
to their 3rd consecutive Champions League Final,
unlike a certain Cristiano Ronaldo:p
who is too busy licking his wounds
after going out of the Champions League to Lyon.
This sends a signal out to the rest of Europe
that Man U as usual are major contenders
for the Champions League this year.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cristiano Ronaldo thinks he's very good, world best player, he's only so when managed by Sir Alex. His performance for Real Madrid and Portugal is nowhere near his level at Manchester United. Sir Alex really has the midas touch. Too bad he doesn't want to manage a national team. Otherwise, the World Cup would surely be of richer value with his presence.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not to take away anything from this morning's fantastic home result by red devils. AMC was looking below par, even the buck toothed brazilian was no real threat. And Huntelaar was well... my dutch colleague sya she's not that popular back home. case of too much pasta and red wine?:p

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cristiano Ronaldo thinks he's very good, world best player, he's only so when managed by Sir Alex. His performance for Real Madrid and Portugal is nowhere near his level at Manchester United. Sir Alex really has the midas touch. Too bad he doesn't want to manage a national team. Otherwise, the World Cup would surely be of richer value with his presence.

Besides Messi, he is the other world's best player. Pellegrini and SAF's approach to the game is different. For the latter, the players should attack and defend as one. Its quite different at REAL.
Second SAF gives Ron a lot of room to express himself and the cocky guy has the support of all his team mates. It's not the same at REAL.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to take away anything from this morning's fantastic home result by red devils. AMC was looking below par, even the buck toothed brazilian was no real threat. And Huntelaar was well... my dutch colleague sya she's not that popular back home. case of too much pasta and red wine?:p

Agree. The real ACM did not show up but its nice to see a clean sheet for the devils.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Besides Messi, he is the other world's best player. Pellegrini and SAF's approach to the game is different. For the latter, the players should attack and defend as one. Its quite different at REAL.
Second SAF gives Ron a lot of room to express himself and the cocky guy has the support of all his team mates. It's not the same at REAL.

Sir Alex proved one thing. He could get scores of goals and make tons of pounds out of buying and selling Ronaldo, and still make another one out of Rooney. Temasek or GIC should try to hire him.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sir Alex proved one thing. He could get scores of goals and make tons of pounds out of buying and selling Ronaldo, and still make another one out of Rooney. Temasek or GIC should try to hire him.

On the contrary, SAF and Temasel/GIC are like two peas in a pod as far 'investment' is concerned. For every Rooney or Ronaldo, I've lost count on the number of Verons they've wasted on.

Seriously, MU is not a selling club and Rooney is likely to remain in the club for the foreseeable future.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Madrid "obsessed" about Rooney, says Calderon
Real Madrid have an "obsession'' about signing Wayne Rooney, but would need to fork out £80 million or more to do so, according to former president Ramon Calderon.

Madrid, who have spent £250 million assembling a team with stars such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Xabi Alonso, were knocked out of the Champions League in midweek by Lyon.

Current president Florentino Perez has been linked with potential moves for Jose Mourinho to replace manager Manuel Pellegrini and Manchester United striker Rooney.

Calderon said: "It seems that it's an obsession for the president to go for Rooney. I imagine Manchester United wouldn't like to lose a player like him.

"Sometimes it's a point of money and if there is a proposal maybe there will be a deal.You have to take into account that the most important thing is what a player wants to do.

"Ronaldo was a good signing. He is one of the best. He is a professional, a real professional and he is doing a really good job.

"I don't know if it is possible to spend again another 100 or 80 million more euros. I imagine in that case you (Manchester United) would have to sell.''

Asked on BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme if Ronaldo regretted his move to Madrid, Calderon added: "I don't think so. He did what he wanted to do, he came to a big club. The idea was to win everything but you can't buy everything with money.

"Even though you think you've got lot of very good players together, that's not the same as having a good team.''

LOL, why RM always like to take MU players? Beckham, VNR, Heinze, Ronaldo... and now Rooney? hahaha :biggrin::biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary, SAF and Temasel/GIC are like two peas in a pod as far 'investment' is concerned. For every Rooney or Ronaldo, I've lost count on the number of Verons they've wasted on.

LOL! Yeah, their Rooney:Veron ratio track record is simply too horrible. Sir Alex in GIC or Temasek would most probably end up like Chip Goodyear or Cao Zhi. Seven steps and out you go.

Seriously, MU is not a selling club and Rooney is likely to remain in the club for the foreseeable future.

I tend to agree with you, not because MU is not a selling club, but I think Sir Alex intends Rooney as a longer term anchor. His selling decision records have been as great as his buying decision records. The sales of Beckham and Ronaldo made tons of money without affecting team performance. On the other hand, Real Madrid have paid MU tons of money but got nowhere further than 2nd Round in ECL last several years. LOL!

jw5

Loyal
Can I ask all football fans here question?
What do you guys think about Dimitar Berbatov?
Is he a great player? Or is he a great talent who has not performed well on the pitch?
Is he lazy, as some have accused him of?
Your opinions and comments please.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What do you guys think about Dimitar Berbatov?
Is he a great player? Or is he a great talent who has not performed well on the pitch? Is he lazy, as some have accused him of?
Berbi's got his moments of brilliance with his deft touches. But alas, we seen too little so far. But last night he put his head to good use.:p

His laid back style not exactly suited to fast 200km pace in english footy.

jw5

Loyal
Berbi's got his moments of brilliance with his deft touches. But alas, we seen too little so far. But last night he put his head to good use.:p

His laid back style not exactly suited to fast 200km pace in english footy.
Please don't laugh, but I personally think that Berbatov is a great talent, bordering on a footballing genius.

He reminds me of Cantona in his technical ability, with his vision, control, touch and ability. Cantona wasn't a hurry scurry player either, he was laid back and created great chances or scored great goals due to his great ability. Like Cantona, Berbatov seems to be able to read and anticipate the game before other players. And remember the upturned collar and hands-on-hips postures? I actually think Berbatov has more technical ability and vision than anyone he has played with (including Rooney!) and that's why sometimes, passes or touches from him don't work out for the team.

But I think the main difference between the two players is their attitude towards their own team mates. Cantona would at most stand there with hands on hips, and then get on with it. But Berbatov would make an exaggerated gesture of disappointment directed at a team mate who failed to pass to him or collect a pass from him. That's the main reason why supporters don't like him, whereas they worshipped Cantona. Of course, Berbatov has also not produced as many goals as Cantona too, he is not as clinical a finisher. But his technical ability is superb.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please don't laugh, but I personally think that Berbatov is a great talent, bordering on a footballing genius.
He reminds me of Cantona in his technical ability, main difference between the two players is their attitude towards their own team mates. Cantona would at most stand there with hands on hips, and then get on with it. But Berbatov would make an exaggerated gesture of disappointment...
the main reason why supporters don't like him, whereas they worshipped Cantona. Of course, Berbatov has also not produced as many goals as Cantona too, he is not as clinical a finisher.
Nah, it's no laughing matter :wink: Only laughs was last night with the pundits on football channel taking digs at Nani's indecision (and unfairly on "scuffing" his pass to Roon to score).:biggrin:

Yo, Cantona was my hero (err, not referring to kung fu skills). Oh ah Cantona the King was revered for being playmaker. He would take the game by the scruff and change the course of game. Too bad he went on to poetry and even acting:p

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
............. , but I think Sir Alex intends Rooney as a longer term anchor......

Fergie will keep the backbone or the core of the team 'English' with a sprinkle of FTs. I like the way they balance the competitive and commercial part of the club. It's something clubs with the resources and some parties can emulate.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ECL in the past 6 years:

Manchester United - reached 2 finals, won 1
Liverpool - reached 2 finals, won 1
Arsenal - reached 1 final, lost
Chelsea - reached 1 final, lost

Real Madrid - knocked out at 2nd round every year

Who spent the most money?

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chelsea's loss this morning is bad news for us. Chelsea has only the EPL and FA Cup to play for and looking at the fixtures, we may be playing Chelsea just before a Champion's league QF game.

Of the quarterfinalist so far, I'd rather meet Lyon, Bayern or CSKA Moscow.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
P
He reminds me of Cantona in his technical ability, with his vision, control, touch and ability.

I think if u were to ask the OT fan, they would have agreed with you on Berba's excellent technique.However, they would find it contentious that "Berbatov has more technical ability and vision than anyone he has played with (including Rooney!) and that's why sometimes, passes or touches from him don't work out for the team."

It is one thing to say a player is gifted, its quite another when it comes to application. Cantona for all his arrogance has proven during his reign at OT why he was and is the most revered player of his generation coz' time and again when push comes to shove, Cantona would step up to the plate and show the way with goals. He makes things happen on and off the field:biggrin:. Not so with Berba.

P
Berbatov would make an exaggerated gesture of disappointment directed at a team mate who failed to pass to him or collect a pass from him. That's the main reason why supporters don't like him,....

The OT faithful do not like Berba becoz of his low work rate. I think they would have forgiven him for not chasing down the loose ball if he had knocked in goals with regularity. His constant sulk and whinging hasn't help his cause. In short, in the eyes of the supporters, he's just not a 'tryer'. They'd rather watch a less 'gifted' Tevez working his socks off for the club than being distracted by a grumpy,lazy bulgarian pig.

Having said that,any fan could see that he is doing his best and running lot more these days. You could almost feel his disappointment when he scored the third goal. Me thinks he wanted so much to break the deadlock himself.

He's got 8 games and possibly 5 CL games to prove that he's up to the challenge. The man is akin to an artist who has forgotten how to use his brush strokes if you like or his craft in an otherwise mechanical and industrial setting. Well, he should look no further than the true genius himself-Ryan Giggs.