• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
[

Nope I've decided to move in within these 2 months so will be renting out my hdb after that.
I'm a vegetarian so I only have vegetarian ones. Btw, there is a vegetarian coffee shop called 'Liang Tai' at Setia Tropika facing the the Government Building. Their cook is from 'Fo You Yuan'. They are into Hakka food. They have "Hum Cha" which was quite nice, Hakka Abacus as well as many other Hakka dishes. I like it because I'm Hakka. LOL!

Another good place for lacta-Ova vegetarian food is VegeCafe at Sutera Utama. Its at the shop houses. They have both western as well as local cuisines. I especially like the Special Nasi Lemak(although they have normal Nasi Lemak), the chilli is really nice. Very different from the normal ones. And the mock fried chicken taste like KFC. Thumbs up for this. The bake rice is also nice. There is a bakery section as well. I would buy their bread for breakfast next day. Sometimes they have eggless cake. They also have vegetarian buffet at certain time of the month, but I have forgotten when.

I see, good for you, i remembered i couldn't wait to move out here. I was standing outside the steps of my balcony yesterday night with strains of zither playing (my neighbour) and lightning in the distance. Really made for a pretty imposing view. Despite the pressures at work, this was really my escape valve.

Thanks a lot, sounds good. I have hakka relatives as well plus a few visits to Taiwan made me like the hakka food as well. There are some stalls selling as well in Perling area. I must try the vegetarian food. The only baked rice and cordon bleu i have tried that are nice are those from the Secret Receipe restaurant at the Giant in Perling mall(a bit run down but that place has a cinema).

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hello Wuqi, glad to see you back. Read a couple of post back that you were feeling 'under the weather' and thought that you might be in bed 'fighting' off a flu bug:biggrin:

Thanks Grago, wasn't feeling well lately as i had flu and pressures of work was getting to me, didn't get to rest much even though i took leave. Never took mc for a very long time as i can't afford to as i am still the only one who will have to clean up the mess.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
adding on to security. there are some phones that have a panic call or panic text which allows you to dial up/sms another person on your contact list for emergency situations in 1 touch. set it up if you have! never know when you'll need to make that call.

Good idea, actually its good to also compile a personal list and stick it to the fridge, township, security guard post, police, taxi, food delivery, gas delivery, TNB, the utilities guys(water) and even a tow truck or mechanic.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bros, i would suggest getting solar film for your cars when you are out here, tinted ones (those that still comply with SG laws) help to mask valuables that you accidentally left on the car seats as well as makes it harder for people to see in.

It also helps to prevent thieves from making their getaway quickly as they have a harder time(at least takes longer) breaking through your glass. There are even anti break in ones that other bros here have discussed much earlier.

Still, best prevention is to leave no valuables in the car, even your TNG card. The cheaper ones can be had for around 400-500 RM (even cheaper ones available)

Of course, the other effect of having this is the original intended one, makes your car cooler (literally and figuratively)

As i continue to live out here, i try to make it a point not to criticize my host country as much as possible, i don't want to outstay my welcome. I try to be "zi dong" and do this for any country that i am staying to avoid offending peoples' sensitivities.

I would already know what to expect, warts and all before i came out here so i never horn, give way as much as possible when driving and always keep to the middle lane on the highway (allows people to pass easily as well as avoid police cameras)

When people i meet talk bad about things here, even without the presence of locals, i will refrain from speaking too much lest i attract unwanted unhappiness or hostility. I also tend to get my friends to say reasonable rather than cheap when they looked at groceries. Its better to be on the safe side and be prudent as i hope and intend to be here for a very long time.

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Check electrical wiring r in working condition for switches n 3 pin plug. Dump a few tissues n toilet rolls to see if toilet bowl gets choke. Silding door for ground n top floor change as with time their aluminum lock with crack n become useless. Dun be like me.

Electricals is really no joke. I've got my hand shocked and thrown out of the washing machine, fortunately the hand did not get stuck in there. Nowadays i use a test pen to check the sockets for irregularity.

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bros, ...... As i continue to live out here, i try to make it a point not to criticize my host country as much as possible, i don't want to outstay my welcome. I try to be "zi dong" and do this for any country that i am staying to avoid offending peoples' sensitivities. I would already know what to expect, warts and all before i came out here so i never horn, give way as much as possible when driving and always keep to the middle lane on the highway (allows people to pass easily as well as avoid police cameras) When people i meet talk bad about things here, even without the presence of locals, i will refrain from speaking too much lest i attract unwanted unhappiness or hostility. I also tend to get my friends to say reasonable rather than cheap when they looked at groceries. Its better to be on the safe side and be prudent as i hope and intend to be here for a very long time.

Welcome on the ham cha - I will get the name of the restaurant and road this week and make it easier to locate. Hope you're anyway feeling better - hey, no fun being here and ill! Like being sick during school holidays .. terrible waste.

If you check out the segment on 'How not to be obnoxious and spoil it for other Singaporeans" on my web, feel free to make more suggestions. I wrote " ... and it is a huge embarrassment to us when our fellow citizens from Singapore behave in a way most kindly described as kasar.... There are many successful Singaporeans whose entrepreneurial activities have helped develop the state and given Johorians jobs. And innumerable kind and generous Singaporeans have donated millions in hard cash to charitable homes here and are cherished for their philanthropy. We spend lots of money here, so what’s not to like with us?... What, indeed. ... It ain’t just about money, honey...."
Similarly, I am not prepared to put Singaporeans down in public (ohhh the temptation sometimes!), or diss the country which passport I hold. Certainly not to non-Singaporeans.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back from JB after a refreshing day and a half.

I only managed to secure an exchange rate of 238.7.

I know some bros got better than this.

But thats all i could get.

BalikKampung

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was told that the price starts from RM 750k to RM 1m for corner lots. But apparently the corner lots are all taken. People have pre-booked with cheques. It is honestly getting quite mental if you ask me. And this has to do with the curbs set by Sg govt to soften the market.

Hi do u happen to know the selling price for end/corner lots of terraces in the Hills? I reckon it could reach RM 900k to RM 1 million

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Easter Sunday Mass at Cathedral of Sacred Heart close to Taman Sentosa at 830am on Easter Sunday morning.

This morning enroute to Cathedral of Sacred Heart near to Taman SEntosa i saw lots of Spore car plates driving to shop at the market at Taman Sentosa. I have never been to this market and i have no clue how its like out here.

But i was surprised. Cause it was 730am (my church service was at 745am) and at this hour i managed to see so many Spore Cars.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
My suggestion and this is what I may end up doing as well...

Returning to Spore on Easter Sunday night before 12am (Easter Monday or the monday afterEaster) is not a good idea.

If you still wanna return do it around 1-2am ON Easter Monday morning.

What i will possibly do is return to Spore on Monday (Easter Monday). I will reach Causeway at 930am at which time the jam will have cleared. It will usually be free flowing traffic both at Malaysia Immigration and Spore Immigration.

This is just my suggestion. Dun take my word for it and flame me if a 6 SIGMA situation occurs.

Hi friends,

Appreciate opinions/advice.

1) I will be driving back from JB to Singapore via 2nd link on the upcoming Easter Sunday 24 April at night. What time in your opinion would the jam normally recede?

2) Alternatively if I stay overnight in JB and come back Monday morning, what time will be best to avoid the Monday peak?

I am happy to take answers of either or both.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Installation of Grilles

Yes thats another thing to watch out for (grilles that do not rust)

If u must install grills outside, must get those which wont rust as it will be wet sometimes due to heavy storms.

I had tot not to install grills but after the Adda height incident, security and safety of my family member is of paramount importance.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Whoami

How much was ujana selling for psf and what is the psf maintenance fee?

I am actually thinking of getting a unit at the HH condo. Do you reckon it is a good purchase? Noticed that quite a number of units still available (not as hot selling as ujana)

might be used for home stay. New terraces launching at the hills next week corner lots all taken :(

i was very close to buying a unit at fairway suites. but have opted out at the very last minute. although the developer is sound, i think the condo density is going to be too high in the bukit indah area. there is the sky exec which is in the midst of building, then the sky garden next door, also a horizon residence just before horizon hills and then fairway suites with whispers of a lux condo at the peak. And we are not talking about the medini/EL/puteri harbor area yet. exactly how many people will a fully functional greater nusajaya attract to condo developments since there are so many beautiful landed properties on offer? (from an investment pov)

and playing the contrarian, I think terraces are the houses to buy looking at the direction almost all the choice developers are going (this coming from a discussion with bro wuqi a while back mentioning i won't buy big houses only condo hah how the times have changed my views). everywhere i go seems to be the same story where terrace houses will be the last in the development and multi-million dollar bungalows and semi-Ds to follow. Which I think is good because it is going to create a glut of supply and demand of terraces will shoot up especially for the the commoner folks who can't afford such homes but want the shelter and safety of G&Gs. I shudder to think about 2,3,4 million dollar homes in time to come as asking prices from the developers.

I went to LF today to have a look and I truly appreciate what forumers here were saying about the road going to the development. Kinda feel bad for the developer since it does not have as much 'clout' as the 'quasi' government UEM land to make an entrance appear linking from the 2nd link although i hear they're trying to push for it besides the other one from coastal highway. took a look at the bayou water village and must say i am quite impressed both by the concept as well as the attitude of the sales staff. She must have been one of the best ones I have met going to so many developments with the setia tropika sales ranking close second.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB-Nusajaya toll-free highway opens by year-end

JOHOR BARU: The construction of Iskandar Malaysia's toll free coastal highway infrastructure development project, linking the city to Nusajaya via bridge, will be completed before the end of this year at a cost of about RM1 billion.
Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) chief executive Ismail Ibrahim said the toll free highway would halve the present 30-minute travel time from Johor Baru to Nusajaya.

"The highway will go through the Sungai Skudai bridge. It will hopefully smoothen the traffic flow, in addition to minimising traffic congestion in several areas in the city," he said after attending a concrete pouring ceremony to mark the completion of one of Iskandar Malaysia's main infrastructure development projects at Jalan Persiaran Danga here yesterday.

He said the construction of the bridge structure took 19 months and they were two months ahead of schedule.

The bridge structure, measuring 605 metres in length and 15.9 metres in width, will have three lanes and will be the longest bridge of its kind in Johor.

It has also been touted as being wider than the original Penang Bridge.

The bridge is one of two constructed as part of the Iskandar Malaysia Coastal Highway project.

The other, which crosses Sungai Kempas, is already completed.

Ismail was confident that the bridge would be an icon as it offers a unique design and crosses two rivers -- Sungai Skudai and Sungai Danga.

"Next year has been earmarked as the tipping point for Iskandar Malaysia where we will see the completion of key infrastructure development and major projects."

He said among them were the coastal highway, Johor Premium Outlets, Legoland and Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia

Read more: JB-Nusajaya toll-free highway opens by year-end http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/26irda/Article#ixzz1JAuIoNVr

house

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB-Nusajaya toll-free highway opens by year-end

JOHOR BARU: The construction of Iskandar Malaysia's toll free coastal highway infrastructure development project, linking the city to Nusajaya via bridge, will be completed before the end of this year at a cost of about RM1 billion.
Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) chief executive Ismail Ibrahim said the toll free highway would halve the present 30-minute travel time from Johor Baru to Nusajaya.

"The highway will go through the Sungai Skudai bridge. It will hopefully smoothen the traffic flow, in addition to minimising traffic congestion in several areas in the city," he said after attending a concrete pouring ceremony to mark the completion of one of Iskandar Malaysia's main infrastructure development projects at Jalan Persiaran Danga here yesterday.

He said the construction of the bridge structure took 19 months and they were two months ahead of schedule.

The bridge structure, measuring 605 metres in length and 15.9 metres in width, will have three lanes and will be the longest bridge of its kind in Johor.

It has also been touted as being wider than the original Penang Bridge.

The bridge is one of two constructed as part of the Iskandar Malaysia Coastal Highway project.

The other, which crosses Sungai Kempas, is already completed.

Ismail was confident that the bridge would be an icon as it offers a unique design and crosses two rivers -- Sungai Skudai and Sungai Danga.

"Next year has been earmarked as the tipping point for Iskandar Malaysia where we will see the completion of key infrastructure development and major projects."

He said among them were the coastal highway, Johor Premium Outlets, Legoland and Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia

Read more: JB-Nusajaya toll-free highway opens by year-end http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/26irda/Article#ixzz1JAuIoNVr

really looking forward to have the coastal highway and the best is its free not a toll way

Jogs1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Installation of Grilles

Hi guys

I am just thinking which is better - install grilles inside the glass windows/doors, or install grilles outside the glass windows/doors?

My initial thoughts are, the thief would have to smash your glass before cutting the grilles, but then on second thoughts maybe they could remove your glass panels from the frames instead. So if the grilles are outside, their cutting action should alert you before they could penetrate the glass layer. Agree?

Actually, I will mix both options. For sliding glass door definitely outside. Windows really must depend on it opening direction...for my case is inside.
I think mixing both will help a bit for the exterior appearance of the house, not so prison look.

Maybe can consider to install tinted anti-shatter glass film as well. it will make the grille not so visible from the other side.

Last edited:

rw6akr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bros, i would suggest getting solar film for your cars when you are out here, tinted ones (those that still comply with SG laws) help to mask valuables that you accidentally left on the car seats as well as makes it harder for people to see in.
The only problem is that those solar film that complies with SLA requirements are not dark enough to hide anything inside the vehicle. It helps a little bit though.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
But it still helps in delaying time taken to break the glass. Cause the film prevents instant shattering, snatch and runaway..

Therefore Wuqi is right that it delays the process right?

The only problem is that those solar film that complies with SLA requirements are not dark enough to hide anything inside the vehicle. It helps a little bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.