• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's ok … Be a bit more patience. When our houses are ready, we can get a local second hand car and blend in even more. I'm definitely not going to sympathize myself over this ….

It is better to drive a Malaysian plate car so that you can blend in. Many Singaporeans in my estate does that.

Malaysian cars tends to bully Sg-plate car and it is even worse in KL where I do have a personal experience where this guy deliberately refuse to move his car in front of you in the jammed highway. It is so deliberate that when I start to reverse to back off and take a turn out and he deliberately blocked the move.

Most time when I am over here, I would switch to the Malaysian plate car to have a peace of mind and also to take advantage of the cheaper Ron 95 petrol.

It is easier for me as my company has a sister company here and I have lots of Malaysian colleagues to look out for me. Generally the locals are nice people and we should not spoil market for them, especially when our Sg$ is so strong now.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
All this investment analysis reminds me of something, one Australian ex colleague ever told me when Perth house prices started rising due to immigration, there were people always saying the price would drop. But it did not and instead prices went up continuous for ten years! So as long as there are people flooding to a place, the price will go up!

Some parallels between JB and Perth.

- Singaporean's haunt
- Resource rich
- Easy commute
- Started with cheap real estate

wufucheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha … this is the funniest post I have read today!

what's the dotted line at 11 oclock after the first link ?

That's the existing railway track ending near Setia Tropical.
The whole idea is just to provide a rough idea of "where is where" cos as a newbie i always wonder where is Bukit Indah, HH, Nusa Idaman, Nusa Duta, Laguna.......
Now looking at this map, taking BI (e almost round shape) as the central, North of BI is Sutera Utama, South is HH, West (i.e on e Right of BI) is ND, East is NI, and further East is Laguna and so on...........

wufucheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the existing railway track ending near Setia Tropical.
The whole idea is just to provide a rough idea of "where is where" cos as a newbie i always wonder where is Bukit Indah, HH, Nusa Idaman, Nusa Duta, Laguna.......
Now looking at this map, taking BI (e almost round shape) as the central, North of BI is Sutera Utama, South is HH, West (i.e on e Right of BI) is ND, East is NI, and further East is Laguna and so on...........

oops, EAST (not West) is ND

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Straits Times
Published on Jul 22, 2012
By Melissa Tan And Teo Cheng Wee

More S'poreans cross Causeway to buy homes
Favourable exchange rate and lure of landed property are among the reasons cited

When Ms June Chan first went to Johor Baru to scout for potential properties in February, she spotted a villa going for a pretty price.

Built on a sprawling 16,000 sq ft compound was a single-storey bungalow with three rooms and a swimming pool. It was in the Leisure Farm development, in Johor's Iskandar region. The price: RM3.8 million ($1.52 million).

Within two months, Ms Chan, 52, decided it was a good deal and plunged in.

Singaporeans booked 116 units at a roadshow this month, compared with 54 bookings from Malaysians, said Mr Edwin Tan, director of the Paragon Residences @ Straits View Malaysia project in Iskandar.

BACKGROUND STORY
WHAT BUYERS NEED TO KNOW

Q: How can a buyer get financing?

As in Singapore, a buyer will be referred to a banker through property agents, sales executives working for the developer, lawyers, or via walk-ins at bank branches.

Q: What is the rate for a home loan?

Rates range from 4 per cent to 5 per cent.

Q: What loan-to-value (LTV) ratio can buyers get?

For foreigners, most financial institutions grant loans of 70 per cent to 80 per cent of the purchase price.

Q: What is the minimum purchase amount?

That depends on the state. It ranges from RM500,000 in Johor to RM1 million in Penang.

The minimum is half a million ringgit in Kuala Lumpur.

Q: Is there stamp duty?

Locals and foreigners pay stamp duty from 1 per cent to 3 per cent for purchases.

Q: What other fees are there?

There is a tax of 5 per cent if Singaporeans sell the house after holding it for less than five years. The tax is 10 per cent if the house is sold within two years.

Buyers also have to pay property tax. This is generally 6 per cent of the annual rental value of residential properties and payable in two instalments.

Answers by Coreen Kwan, head of retail banking at CIMB Bank Singapore

'It's a second home for living in while my Singapore house is for rental,' said Ms Chan, who is single and retired from a multinational corporation two years ago. She is now doing humanitarian work.

With property prices rising in Singapore, more Singaporeans have begun looking to Malaysia for investment or to buy their second homes. The weakening Malaysian ringgit, the lure of owning landed property and familiarity with the country are reasons they cite for looking north.

The Malaysian property market has been heating up in recent years, much like in the rest of Asia.

Official figures from Malaysia Property Inc - an agency that promotes Malaysia's real estate internationally - the total transaction value of real estate in Malaysia was RM137.8 billion last year, up 28 per cent from RM107.4 billion in 2010.

About 2 per cent of that figure is foreign investment.

Johor has seen the strongest surge in interest from foreign investors in the past year, according to the agency.

In the first half of 2010, foreigners made up only 4 per cent of Johor property transactions, for properties priced above RM1 million. In the corresponding period last year, however, that figure shot up to 25 per cent.

Much of the demand has been generated by the buzz over the Iskandar region, earmarked by the Malaysian government as a major growth area for the country.

There are also now big Singapore companies investing in Iskandar.

Temasek Holdings has a joint-venture project with Malaysia's sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional to develop land in Iskandar. CapitaLand has been appointed project manager for a 2ha urban wellness project in Medini North, a region in Iskandar.

Growing interest

Property agents have also been pulling out the stops to get Singaporeans interested by advertising, conducting roadshows and taking busloads of potential investors on property tours.

Ms Donna Lim, property agency HSR's overseas department head, said the number attending its property exhibitions has risen sharply from last year. Agents say the number of transactions by Singaporeans has also risen.

While there is no official data, agents like Propnex say that Singaporeans bought 50 units in the second quarter of the year, compared to around 25 units in the first three months. It is marketing five projects there in total, located in Johor, Kuala Lumpur and Cyberjaya.

Mr Peter Lim, head of Leisure Farm Singapore, which arranges free trips for buyers, said Singaporeans had bought 35 units in the development over the past two months, compared to about a dozen in the first two months of the year.

Mr Edwin Tan, director of the Paragon Residences @ Straits View Malaysia project, also in Iskandar, said Singaporeans booked 116 units at a roadshow earlier this month, compared with 54 bookings from Malaysians.

Apart from Singaporeans, Malaysians living in Singapore have also been buying property there.

Lecturer Jude Nesa Rajah, 51, bought his first JB property on impulse eight years ago after seeing the developer's promotional booth at a shopping centre. He paid RM100,000 for the 1,016 sq ft unit in Bukit Indah. It is now worth RM220,000.

A Singapore permanent resident and father of two, he said: 'My investment is literally paying for itself... we've been renting out the place for seven years now, for RM1,000 a month.'

He said he is looking to invest in more properties when the market cools, adding that he hopes to retire there with his 48-year-old wife, a teacher.

While Johor properties have always seen demand, now Singaporeans are also heading further north, scouting for potential investments in Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Malacca.

Ms Lily Tan, senior marketing and sales manager at Hunza Properties, said Singaporeans were the top buyers of Hunza's newest condominium Gurney Paragon in Penang, making up about 15 per cent of total unit sales.

But unlike those who buy property in Johor as their second or retirement homes, Singaporeans who buy in Kuala Lumpur and Penang tend to view purchases as investments, said PropNex chief executive Mohamed Ismail.

Ms Goh Yu Ming, 32, bought a 4,000 sq ft condominium unit in Kuala Lumpur's main shopping district, Jalan Bukit Bintang, last year for RM2 million. Ms Goh, who works in investor relations, believes she can get a rental yield of 6 to 8 per cent.

Rental yields in commercial hubs like Kuala Lumpur and Penang range from 5 per cent to 6 per cent, while in Johor they are typically 4 per cent to 6 per cent. In contrast, Singapore residential properties generally yield 2 per cent to 3per cent, consultants said.

The weakening of the ringgit against the Singapore dollar is expected to further stimulate demand. It has fallen by 2.7 per cent in the past year to reach a 14-year low against the Singapore dollar.

Last edited:

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you bought a unit at Iskandar or waiting to buy one? I suppose you haven't and you are waiting for a correction - please confirm. I have been monitoring and also vested in Singapore properties. Singapore's land is almost exhausted, causing rental costs to become sky high. There is no turning back for Iskandar as it improves its infrastructure and business efficiency. JB population is still young and contributing to the economy. They will save up and upgrade to better housing, thus internal demand will be there. Most of the landed are below $1mil MYR, buy when they are still cheap at this level.

I would prefer not to declare my portfolio status in Iskandar; it will save some souls like you from missing the fact or truths in my statements. Its alright to disagree but will do you good if you keep an open mind and analyze the validity of my statements rather than thinking something like "oh you are a BH owner, of course you say BH is good and ND is lousy lah " kind of perception and brushed away all my points put forward just because it is a BH owner talking about the good of BH, for example.

I welcome any disagreement points put forward from anyone as this will help me correct my judgement, when I find it to be a undeniable fact. I formed my judgement from my observations around in JB and I put it forward here as my contribution. The floor is open for all to put forward your observations and say that there is flaw in my judgement and observations; it is okay, we all learn from each other. I don't believe my judgement and analysis here has any iota of strength to floor an otherwise bullish property scene. If its gonna happen, it will happen. What we can do is only to observe for the signs as they appear and made our best decisions based on our own personality and risk profile.

There again, it is good for everyone to take a "litmus" test whenever someone say something otherwise. If you can really feel yourself being edgy about it, then maybe you have to really do a re-evaluation on your risk profile as below:

1. Are you maxing out on your mortgage loans?
2. Will you be able to hold your investment through until the MRT link is built even if in between interest rate rises and monthly mortgage payment has to be increased?
3. Next you want to ask yourself is your buying price much higher than most of the rest in the same area as if it is affirmative, then your property is likely to face some profit-taking pressure and would you be able to sleep on it.

If you are able to go through the above without being edgy, then you should be fine and just prepare yourself for the big bonus ahead when the MRT link is built. What would be the worse feeling is you know you are right but something unforeseen happen in between and you are not prepare for it and had to abort halfway through.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, its sad however, the amount of misinformation that is out there in the market and thinks that Singaporeans are the sole reason why prices have gone up. Ask any banker worth his or her salt in the major banks to find out if truly its just Singaporeans that are buying and fueling the rise. I did ask again recently and got a shock.

If one buys on the assumption that one will be staying in it, one will never go too far wrong as worst case, just use it for original plan. Like what a learned professor (yes Sir Analytical Professor) always pointed out, there will always be changes and things may go south one day. For those intending for own stay or for own sons/daughters(yes me), then i think they are in a safer zone.

Agreed with you if everyone is buying for residence, it is good for the property scene in Iskandar. But if more and more pure investors are coming into the scene, it feels analogous to the housewives, uncles, aunties and undergraduates buying up and supporting a bullish stock market. What happen next you know.

No doubt there is quite a large percentage of other foreigners, besides Singaporeans buying up properties Iskandar, as heard from developers. If they are prepared to take residence, it will be good but if they are pure investors then I will be careful.

A good verification would be to get some statistics on how many completed Iskandar properties here are currently unoccupied or on rental. If this figure is a very large number, then it requires a lot of support from Singaporeans and SPR working in Singapore. And this can cause a lot of volatility when an economic crisis happens.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some unfortunately though will never buy, citing various excuses like interest rates, quality of finishing, etc as though these are something that cannot be fixed though defect rectification, etc. Things like parquet flooring, i have 2 houses which has it, fixed easily by developer, then renovation guys scratched it, i got it fixed again. Then after all the fixes, movers scratched it. This time i just gave up and got it polished and thats it.

Parquet flooring is good and solid but don't see any developer offering them in JB for landed properties if I can recall correctly; you will have to put it in yourself.

Only saw one landed developer offering laminated wood flooring for the staircase and upper floor, that don't feel like you are walking on solid ground; I can't be sure whether it is the quality of the material or installation that causes the problem. If you are suffering from arthritis, then you will be comfortable with it, otherwise personally I would rather opt for tiles instead. Wouldn't be cheap to replace the whole flooring with parquet or timber strips if you don't like it and it will add up to your investment cost. So for me, I rather give it a miss and go elsewhere.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every one year we will see someone or her/his clone post something like that so take it with a pinch of salt. Don't take for granted what anyone, even myself says, see for yourself and always always do due dilligence. As a rule of thumb, for own stay, that should be fine.

Posting under another nick/clone does not justify the argument that was lost.

Rental from HDB should be counted on only as a passive income, we should still try to keep our day jobs as long as we can or have something supplmenting our income. Rent if you are seriously in doubt although we have friends of friends who rented and recently all went into shopping mode to buy including a nice couple from Austria. Even if one does not come in and live here, you can still get some or all your medical needs served here, like what our government wanted/intended.

Some unfortunately though will never buy, citing various excuses like interest rates, quality of finishing, etc as though these are something that cannot be fixed though defect rectification, etc. Things like parquet flooring, i have 2 houses which has it, fixed easily by developer, then renovation guys scratched it, i got it fixed again. Then after all the fixes, movers scratched it. This time i just gave up and got it polished and thats it.

Even if one in the end cops out (after making excuses about interest rates, etc) and still buy a condo in the end (seriously, not talking about you Arowana), defects are still part and parcel of every development, be it landed or not.

I own both landed and a condo and i see it from both sides.

Bro u very deep, i dun see u talking about me!! hehehe. My english very shallow only!:biggrin:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would prefer not to declare my portfolio status in Iskandar; it will save some souls like you from missing the fact or truths in my statements. Its alright to disagree but will do you good if you keep an open mind and analyze the validity of my statements rather than thinking something like "oh you are a BH owner, of course you say BH is good and ND is lousy lah " kind of perception and brushed away all my points put forward just because it is a BH owner talking about the good of BH, for example.

I welcome any disagreement points put forward from anyone as this will help me correct my judgement, when I find it to be a undeniable fact. I formed my judgement from my observations around in JB and I put it forward here as my contribution. The floor is open for all to put forward your observations and say that there is flaw in my judgement and observations; it is okay, we all learn from each other. I don't believe my judgement and analysis here has any iota of strength to floor an otherwise bullish property scene. If its gonna happen, it will happen. What we can do is only to observe for the signs as they appear and made our best decisions based on our own personality and risk profile.

There again, it is good for everyone to take a "litmus" test whenever someone say something otherwise. If you can really feel yourself being edgy about it, then maybe you have to really do a re-evaluation on your risk profile as below:

1. Are you maxing out on your mortgage loans?
2. Will you be able to hold your investment through until the MRT link is built even if in between interest rate rises and monthly mortgage payment has to be increased?
3. Next you want to ask yourself is your buying price much higher than most of the rest in the same area as if it is affirmative, then your property is likely to face some profit-taking pressure and would you be able to sleep on it.

If you are able to go through the above without being edgy, then you should be fine and just prepare yourself for the big bonus ahead when the MRT link is built. What would be the worse feeling is you know you are right but something unforeseen happen in between and you are not prepare for it and had to abort halfway through.

There are always bulls and bears in a market - I'm on the slightly bullish side. Due to the pricing e.g. a $1 mil MYR semi-D (equiv to $400k SGD), a depression in JB property of let's say 50% is $200k SGD. The same sized semi-D in Singapore costing $4mil SGD under-going a 5% correction will suffer from $200k SGD loss in market value. Both are equal in absolute term. In another words, Singaporeans and PRs can withstand a much deeper contraction in prices in JB than a mild price correction in Singapore. Having said this, I understand your point of being cautious of a possible downturn in the JB properties. This is good advice. Thank you, I didn't sink in a lot of $ in JB and bought only the cheaper BH despite some location flaws (nothing is ideal).

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Parquet flooring is good and solid but don't see any developer offering them in JB for landed properties if I can recall correctly; you will have to put it in yourself.

Only saw one landed developer offering laminated wood flooring for the staircase and upper floor, that don't feel like you are walking on solid ground; I can't be sure whether it is the quality of the material or installation that causes the problem. If you are suffering from arthritis, then you will be comfortable with it, otherwise personally I would rather opt for tiles instead. Wouldn't be cheap to replace the whole flooring with parquet or timber strips if you don't like it and it will add up to your investment cost. So for me, I rather give it a miss and go elsewhere.

Parquet is even harder to maintain than marbles. Laminates have foam underneath, that explains the softness. Granite and ceramic tiles are longest lasting. Best value for money is still ceramic tiles.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh I c ... I tot service sector is the only way to go in the future. Thanks for your detailed breakdown of so many other important sectors that r thriving.

If they can do that factories and commercial spaces, I think they would.

But essentially, they are looking out for high value added type of industries.

Aerospace, Biomedical, Chemicals, Clean Technology, Electronics, Food (R&D and not central kitchens), Furniture (design and not manufacture), Infocomm, Logistics, Marine Offshore, Media and Precision Engineering.

No time for unglamorous industries like recycling, packaging or garment manufacturing.

So in that sense, if I understand the mandarins based on my engagements with them, it is to get a higher yield from each square foot of land that the Singapore Government dishes out.

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal
Marlborough college takes its first batch on 27 August. Day pupils from Singapore will be transported by a bus service, which will pick them at several points in the republic for the hour long trip. They will not have to get off the bus for immigration checks, but will have to carry their passports.
From straits times (today)

Sanur

Alfrescian
Loyal
Parquet is even harder to maintain than marbles. Laminates have foam underneath, that explains the softness. Granite and ceramic tiles are longest lasting. Best value for money is still ceramic tiles.

Laminating flooring.. To my experiences.. Rather not touch, we used to b one of the supplier during its haydays. It does not last as what it claims. Bear in mind it is only a very thin layer of laminate on compressed wood board.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tempting.. If I put my kid in Marlborough and they will give me PR.. I am definitely going to give it a serious thought...

Marlborough college takes its first batch on 27 August. Day pupils from Singapore will be transported by a bus service, which will pick them at several points in the republic for the hour long trip. They will not have to get off the bus for immigration checks, but will have to carry their passports.
From straits times (today)

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
see.. I know you are loaded.. ha ha

Laminating flooring.. To my experiences.. Rather not touch, we used to b one of the supplier during its haydays. It does not last as what it claims. Bear in mind it is only a very thin layer of laminate on compressed wood board.

Status
Not open for further replies.