• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
For locals buying for living, they can buy those from $100 to 500Krm.... If they are buying for investment, they will buy those above $500K as well.. reasons by Malaysia govt rules, foreigners can only buy those above 500Krm.. If they buy 100-200Krm houses, they can only sell to locals..

Hi brother wuqi,

Thanks for the below info. The property listed below are definitely below 500k. This also depends on the criteria for locals.

I got to know about HH units being bought my companies from Sri Lanka and they are currently renting it out. From time to time they will try to sell some of the units off. That is what I'm told by one of the agent few weeks back.

Before buying a property, one needs to consider few options.
1. Must be gated and guarded.
2. Convenient, near to public amenities e.g. transportations, banks, shopping complex, restaurant, shops.
3. Easy accessibility.
4. House size, build up and land area.
5. Community around.
6. Freehold or Leasehold

A very good example is cluster in bkt indah. If i'm not mistaken they are selling it at 888K and for the cluster in mutiara mas, they are selling at 550K++. A difference in price of 200-300K. That is alot for local malaysians.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, the minimum width of the smallest house in taman laguna is 26", not 24".

We are aware that some atas developments in JB are indeed priced out of the reach by the locals. But u also have to associate the price to the space that u will get. Using your example of laguna, it has 6 bedrooms with a minimum built up of 2,700 sq ft, and a considerably big land area of minimum 26 x 80.

If you look at the lower cost housings (<300k), the price tag might be lower, but the space is significantly smaller also, usually less than 1,600 sq ft with only maximum 3 rooms (based on my observation from the resale market).

People are upgrading houses because 1) getting more affluent 2) family size increases 3) better security 4) investment etc

Using these few factors as a comparison, I don't quite see a point why the price in laguna is deem unreasonable when the price is in proportion to the space u get, and in fact much better with the added security, added designs and quality materials used and much more.

Using your friend as an example, if he as a sole breadwinner decides to move into a big house like laguna with 6 rooms, is this more relevant to say that this is a luxury more than a need? So luxury do come with a steeper price tag, without a doubt. But then again, for a big big family, which Malaysian family usually is (including the parents, in-laws etc), I think 600k price tag is very value for money, but dual-income family will find it more palatable.

There are indeed many lower cost houses in jb, like bro wuqi has pointed out in so many links. For new-built, there is also nusa bayu, with price tag started from less than 300k when it was launched. Now it's about 300k to 350k I think, before discounts.

In a nutshell, there are tons of options out there, and one should only buy within means and with needs. Remember, snakes can always try to shallow their prey more than their stomach could take, and even if it can shallow it, it might face difficult in digestion and killing itself instead. Likewise for human beings :smile:

Btw, no one development is perfect. Don't make yor judgement call if u haven't seen it all. It sounds like u haven't heard of the horror stories from other atas tamans, including HH? :smile:

I must confess I havent been to Laguna yet. When I mentioned this to my Malaysian friend, his main concerns about Laguna are:

1) Too near the sea. Unlike us, JB locals dont like developments too near the sea, as they are worried about the sea smell and the so-called "corrosive" effect on houses.
2) Lots of forested areas around Laguna or in his words "San1 Ba1", which may make Laguna susceptible to crime.

Again, I am neutral on this as I havent been there yet. Its just to share locals observations with fellow members. That said, for locals, it seems everywhere in Nusa is "san1 ba1" including atas Ledang! For many locals, the only non "san1 ba1" places in the west are Huanghou, Sutera Utama, and Bukit Indah.... Haha.......

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah, even HH's land was once a plantation. My friend also said that, they dislike because in their eyes, plantation land worth very little. That's traditional mindset la, now every piece of land has gained its value. And where else to find prime land? Either they change their mindset or they stay put to where they are ...

And like it or not, houses on the San ba land worth much much much more now! :p

I must confess I havent been to Laguna yet. When I mentioned this to my Malaysian friend, his main concerns about Laguna are:

1) Too near the sea. Unlike us, JB locals dont like developments too near the sea, as they are worried about the sea smell and the so-called "corrosive" effect on houses.
2) Lots of forested areas around Laguna or in his words "San1 Ba1", which may make Laguna susceptible to crime.

Again, I am neutral on this as I havent been there yet. Its just to share locals observations with fellow members. That said, for locals, it seems everywhere in Nusa is "san1 ba1" including atas Ledang! For many locals, the only non "san1 ba1" places in the west are Huanghou, Sutera Utama, and Bukit Indah.... Haha.......

Last edited:

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal
For locals buying for living, they can buy those from $100 to 500Krm.... If they are buying for investment, they will buy those above $500K as well.. reasons by Malaysia govt rules, foreigners can only buy those above 500Krm.. If they buy 100-200Krm houses, they can only sell to locals..

If the initial price of RM400K appreciated to RM500K, can foreigners buy?

bbbear

Alfrescian
Loyal

I guess the landscapes of whole JB is changing.. and it's changing fast.. as a johorean, the so call atas area in the past was around Stuland Laut, along Lido Beach (where the istana is) and Taman Molek now Taman Sutera.
Of course Johor is a place of crouching tiger and hidden dragon.. many many rich ppl all around the kampong and taman... you can't really see from the house they stay as they are not exposed to the luxury lifestyle in other countries. Hence their house may be looking a bit kampong to you. So really can't judge a book by its cover.

I went to Austin height last weekend and was suprised of the crowd they hv over at the Library Pub and desserts shops.. almost all outlets are full with ppl. My only issue with the area.. Traffic is bad.

My 2 cents pt of view. Seems like area around Nusajaya hving better infrastructure, which I guess because as a Iskandar project, they hv sort of plan out the infrastructure required and divide the section into different development upfront.. which a better city planning compared to Austin site where it happens in a less structured way. ANd to my big big surprice, the Grocery, the one at Dempsey hill is having one in Taman Molek... can't wait to see more progress in JB in all forms.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree bro, these areas are buzzing and vibrant but are often overlooked by sinkies or international buyers due to its no so close proximity to the second link. No one wants to endure the pasir gudang highway on a daily basis, so nusajaya is the best bet.

How is your house progressing? Will u put up a renovation blog to all to learn? :smile:

I guess the landscapes of whole JB is changing.. and it's changing fast.. as a johorean, the so call atas area in the past was around Stuland Laut, along Lido Beach (where the istana is) and Taman Molek now Taman Sutera.
Of course Johor is a place of crouching tiger and hidden dragon.. many many rich ppl all around the kampong and taman... you can't really see from the house they stay as they are not exposed to the luxury lifestyle in other countries. Hence their house may be looking a bit kampong to you. So really can't judge a book by its cover.

I went to Austin height last weekend and was suprised of the crowd they hv over at the Library Pub and desserts shops.. almost all outlets are full with ppl. My only issue with the area.. Traffic is bad.

My 2 cents pt of view. Seems like area around Nusajaya hving better infrastructure, which I guess because as a Iskandar project, they hv sort of plan out the infrastructure required and divide the section into different development upfront.. which a better city planning compared to Austin site where it happens in a less structured way. ANd to my big big surprice, the Grocery, the one at Dempsey hill is having one in Taman Molek... can't wait to see more progress in JB in all forms.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last night's Chinese Wanbao newspaper (Sg news) reported that Johor police spotted 3 house-breakin robbers and confronted them, the trio tried to retaliate and were all shot dead.

bbbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree bro, these areas are buzzing and vibrant but are often overlooked by sinkies or international buyers due to its no so close proximity to the second link. No one wants to endure the pasir gudang highway on a daily basis, so nusajaya is the best bet.

How is your house progressing? Will u put up a renovation blog to all to learn? :smile:

Hahaha.. it s just merely started.. Had one friend to redo the lay out.. here is the major things i am intend to change
1. Wooden flooring for front porch (at the sliding door area), central courtyard and backyard
2. Change all bathrooms tiles to marble like big tiles
3. Remove the staircase handle bar..
4. Hack 2 bedrooms upstair to turn into one audio video room, which the wall facing the central courtyard also hacked and made a balcony inside the house with sliding door
5. Make a walk in wardrobe in the master bedroom with approximately 19' of wardrobes inside
6. Change part of masterbedroom wall to glass panel so can view directly to living hall
7. Woodflooring for dry kitchen with island (with basin)

These are the main things discussed so far... still got so many details to settle... wait to see the quotation first...

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A Johor friend told me that many Johoreans are joining the Police Force as some kind of part-time police to fight crime in Johor. These part-time police officers are given weapons training and salary of around RM50 for a few hours of policing job(mostly to do surprise raids on vices in Johor).

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds exciting! I have about the same idea for item 1, 4 and 5. For 6, a balcony with glass panels would be nice. What would u put in place for security?

Hahaha.. it s just merely started.. Had one friend to redo the lay out.. here is the major things i am intend to change
1. Wooden flooring for front porch (at the sliding door area), central courtyard and backyard
2. Change all bathrooms tiles to marble like big tiles
3. Remove the staircase handle bar..
4. Hack 2 bedrooms upstair to turn into one audio video room, which the wall facing the central courtyard also hacked and made a balcony inside the house with sliding door
5. Make a walk in wardrobe in the master bedroom with approximately 19' of wardrobes inside
6. Change part of masterbedroom wall to glass panel so can view directly to living hall
7. Woodflooring for dry kitchen with island (with basin)

These are the main things discussed so far... still got so many details to settle... wait to see the quotation first...

bbbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds exciting! I have about the same idea for item 1, 4 and 5. For 6, a balcony with glass panels would be nice. What would u put in place for security?

Must to hv its the grill front door, back door, windows... also i m looking at the wire type aluminium door.. not sure they are tough enough.. and alarm system.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the wire mesh aluminium door, Have u seen my post about the majestec? Is that the type u want?

Must to hv its the grill front door, back door, windows... also i m looking at the wire type aluminium door.. not sure they are tough enough.. and alarm system.

bbbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the wire mesh aluminium door, Have u seen my post about the majestec? Is that the type u want?

yes.. not sure this is tough enough to replace the traditional grill and the cost of it.. i guess usually the one important is the lock.. many cases the break in is they able to cut the lock away..

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
I saw it at ksl. It looks very sturdy and tough. Normal cutter can't cut through. Can't bang it through also. But if use professional motor cutter, sure can't hold up ...

yes.. not sure this is tough enough to replace the traditional grill and the cost of it.. i guess usually the one important is the lock.. many cases the break in is they able to cut the lock away..

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oh, Jones the Grocer is coming to Molek? I din know that......The game changer is Ikea. Where it eventually goes, the housing prices there will receive a sharp boost... I find Sutera Utama and Austin the most buzzing areas in JB now. They are like our Toa Payoh and AMK. In the future, the most happening area could be Danga Bay Waterfront.......Hard to tell now though you cant really go wrong with Bukit Indah area....

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For many locals, the only non "san1 ba1" places in the west are Huanghou, Sutera Utama, and Bukit Indah.... Haha.......

Bt Indah quite popular with Sillyporeans, Maybe cos they have a rep off at HarbourFt. They hold talks and also advertise in ST when teres launches. The also chartered Sillyporeans to their precincts..be it BI, ST, SI or Eco. Jusco drawing factors. We know how typical Sillyporeans behave. Sales staffs also told me quite popular among Msians working in Sillypore too esp Bt Indah precinct. Dont know abt other areas/precinct though.

Anyway after their recent launch of terraces, ustand near future they concentrated on SemiD, Cluster homes.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bt Indah quite popular with Sillyporeans, Maybe cos they have a rep off at HarbourFt. They hold talks and also advertise in ST when teres launches. The also chartered Sillyporeans to their precincts..be it BI, ST, SI or Eco. Jusco drawing factors. We know how typical Sillyporeans behave. Sales staffs also told me quite popular among Msians working in Sillypore too esp Bt Indah precinct. Dont know abt other areas/precinct though.

Anyway after their recent launch of terraces, ustand near future they concentrated on SemiD, Cluster homes.

Haha, yah Setia's marketing power is really strong among singaporeans. I see their ads often in the papers and on radio. I just find their prices are more exp than others, while their houses are generally smaller. If given a choice around Bukit Indah area, I would prefer HH. My wife n in-laws (locals) prefer Molek though, so I had to follow their choice... That said, I believe there are different variety of housing and areas to choose from. Dont necessarily need to be HH, if pple have an issue with budget...

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi brother wuqi,

Thanks for the below info. The property listed below are definitely below 500k. This also depends on the criteria for locals.

I got to know about HH units being bought my companies from Sri Lanka and they are currently renting it out. From time to time they will try to sell some of the units off. That is what I'm told by one of the agent few weeks back.

Before buying a property, one needs to consider few options.
1. Must be gated and guarded.
2. Convenient, near to public amenities e.g. transportations, banks, shopping complex, restaurant, shops.
3. Easy accessibility.
4. House size, build up and land area.
5. Community around.
6. Freehold or Leasehold

A very good example is cluster in bkt indah. If i'm not mistaken they are selling it at 888K and for the cluster in mutiara mas, they are selling at 550K++. A difference in price of 200-300K. That is alot for local malaysians.

I am glad you heard about the Sri Lanka guys too so its clearer that its not just Singaporeans pushing things high. Lets face it, they still have choices and judging from the wide selection here, lots to choose from. Thats why unless your friends are only targetting the higher end ones, else there is not that much competition as they thought.

Most criteria for locals can be overcome unless we are talking about just low cost housing. I still see most complaining not because they have no roof over their heads but because the higher one they are reaching for is already expensive.

If one has to choose something high, he/she will still need to pay the correspondingly higher price for the features that he/she wants. Its like someone wants to get the highest penthouse and then complain its too expensive. If someone wants to buy a watertown condo for 2.2m SGD in SG instead of a HDB or cheaper condo project, more power to him but we won't expect him/her to complain about the prices later as its willing seller/buyer. I can stretch to buy a condo in SG but why would i want to do that? I do not need to show off to anyone as long as my parents, my wife and kids are proud of me, thats enough.

If your friend only looks for cluster, that means he should be earning enough to afford a cluster, definitely not if its someone are already stretching to make ends meet.

Lets just say there is one guy earning more than 20k SGD a month and driving an old car, another guy earning below 7k SGD just bought a brand new car in SG. In the end, the guy with the branded new car complained to the guy with the old car about high costs and how he is struggling. What can anyone do to help?

Its living within your means, i know its hard for many folks especially when there is a need to show off during CNY, etc. Another example, a 40 plus SGD guy has lots of commitments as he drives a Jag, etc but though he earns double that of the 20k guy. Yet the 20k guy, though earning lesser can do much in terms of investment, etc even have to blanjah the person earning double his pay whenever they meet. Whatever happened to "Kai Yuen Jie Liu"

I always suggested to buy the biggest one can reasonably afford not stretched to the max and live beyond ones means. There are still units even at Nusa Sentral, etc which are still selling even subsale for much much less than the 888k. There are also condos like Nusa Heights which will be launched below 200k while condos like Skyloft have been sold at 600k. There is a premium to be paid for the location, just like why folks in Jurong will typically get a lower asking price than someone staying in Holland/Bishan.

Where to find gated+guarded+high end development+good neighbours+good environment/good amenities and still cheap these days?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.