• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Let's agree to vote strategically

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My aim is to change the status quo by at least denying the PAPzis a 2/3 majority. I will therefore NEVER vote for the PAPzis.

WP is the most likely opposition party beat the PAPzis, anywhere they contest. As such, if they are involved in a MCF, I would vote for them before any other opposition candidates.

You may, of course, have a different view. Please share it.

How come vote wp is strategic ? :confused:
What if I don't want status quo.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't expect many multi-cornered fights. there will be 2-4 as usual but that is a small number out of 29 constituencies. if WP contests Pasir Ris, expect SDA to get 1000+ votes only. if that 1000 votes is the difference, giving PAP the razor-thin victory. that's just too bad. in the end, no one can put a knife to that Desmond Lim's neck, warning him not to contest the constituency.

MaximiLian

Alfrescian
Loyal
My aim is to change the status quo by at least denying the PAPzis a 2/3 majority. I will therefore NEVER vote for the PAPzis.

WP is the most likely opposition party beat the PAPzis, anywhere they contest. As such, if they are involved in a MCF, I would vote for them before any other opposition candidates.

You may, of course, have a different view. Please share it.

28 cannot deny 2/3 majority. So wait until when?

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's all vote PAP!

Yah, right ...to vote for pappies is to vote for foreigners to over run the country...rather to have an untested oppie run the Govt than to let foreigners be the masters of the country ....

Macroeconomics101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually the correct term is "tactical voting". It means when you vote against the incumbent but there are more than 1 alternatives to choose from, people should agree to vote for the alternative that is most likely to win, in order to avoid diluting votes and letting the incumbent win by default.

When you rank opposition parties, you have to rank them according to national popularity. This means voting for a party that you may dislike, as long as it is popular in the eyes of other people.

There is no way to be certain how the public would rank all the opposition parties, although it clear WP is favourite, followed by SDP. My ranking is as follows:

WP
SDP
NSP/SFP tie
SPP with the Chiams as mascots
DPP/RP/SDA tie

When there is a tie, and these parties go for multi-cornered fight you are essentially in trouble. There is no way to know who is more popular, so you can't vote tactically. The vote dilution will most certainly cause PAP to win.

MaximiLian

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why I drew up the decision chart. Where WP is not running, I'm urging people to vote according to the order of preference listed in the chart.

U want to deny them a 2/3 majority but why support a party who doesn't want to do that?

Don't tell me ish to give other parties a chance to contest ...? Zzzz

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because WP is best placed to contribute to the PAPzis losing the 2/3 majority even if, at this time they do not have the resources to contest sufficient seats to do so by themselves.

And I am happy that WP seeks to field candidates of quality, and not to just make up the quantity.

U want to deny them a 2/3 majority but why support a party who doesn't want to do that?

Don't tell me ish to give other parties a chance to contest ...? Zzzz

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The opposition in Singapore still needs a process of maturity, no thanks to the heavy handed tactics of the PAP in the 70s to 90s which severely curtailed the developement of alternative political forces and centres of power.

I would say WP is doing well despite the unlevel playing field. The rest of the old parties are to a large extent bogged down by baggage and undecisive leadership. The new parties have yet to prove themselves.

If TJS can overcome the stigma of being the architect of Tony Tan's presidency, he stands a pretty decent chance. Similarly if SDP can renew itself in the eyes of the voters, which is tough given that the older generation remember the Chiam betrayal story, they also stand a decent shot. Lina should go all out and reclaim her legacy. Lead an SPP team to victory would be the best tribute to her husband. I think she stands a good chance.

Other than WP, SDP and TJS and Lina, I really don't see anything of significance. Kervyn is pretty but she won't get in on looks alone. Nicole has realized politics is not for her. Jeanette can pack a punch of two but mostly likely she won't get in.

The rest are just instruments that opposition supporters use to express displeasure at PAP, but they won't get into Parliament.

Last edited: