• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is It Worth To Spend 1500 dollars to buy a coffee machine ?

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am thinking to buy this: https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/EP4346_70/philips-4300-series-fully-automatic-espresso-machines
this is partly because I am getting old and I want to enjoy more coffee before I am too old to drink coffee
The problem with fully automatic machine is maintenance. As the grinder grinds the ground coffee powder will be funneled into a filter basket, and this process can never be perfect. Each time you grind, some ground powder will be scattered around the system and choke the water outlets. And because it's fully automatic, it's highly likely that it does not have an independent boiler. Instead, raw water passes through a heater element and the consistency of the temperature is lost. The final product is definitely not as hot as you would have preferred.

If you do not mind the coffee is not hot enough, I suggest you get a capsule machine. You get to choose different types of flavor, unlike the fully automatic machine where you will be stuck with at least 250g of the same coffee beans for some time. And if you place them in the grinder and not grind them immediately, the beans will oxidize and lose its aroma. Capsules avoid this problem and there is no maintenance issues.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just get a french press if you’re only brewing a couple of cups. more important is the type of coffee bean. and grinder too. i normally look out for african beans, from ethiopia to kenya to tanzania to uganda. grind the beans only when you’re ready to brew. not too fine like the finest expresso which will becum like m&d, and not too coarse like what you get at the supermarket pre-ground. must be just right in order to sextract the most flavor and robustness from the beans. getting a good grinder is key to great coffee besides the beans. sexpresso machines? forget about that. too much cleaning and maintenance. if you’re too lazy to source for beans, grind, and clean both grinder and press, get a keurig or nespresso. capsules with african coffee are great! and you can add the purest water too to the water container without hooking to the water pipes. water from pipes are horrible for the best coffee.
5A364938-D170-4F61-847F-06D35683A9F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to own one of these percolator pots and loved it. The fun of drinking coffee was preparing it. Might not be practical if you're in a morning rush but your can experience the smells and flavour when you use it

1631637650691.png

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Espresso capsule machine is still the best imo... Always use coffee cream instead of milk if u drink your coffee white.. It brings out the best in your coffee!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Espresso capsule machine is still the best imo... Always use coffee cream instead of milk if u drink your coffee white.. It brings out the best in your coffee!
i’ve been using (cow’s) cream but now i’m using a healthier option. this one is good, as good as dairy cream.
B1160E89-11BB-413B-86CC-EBC098ED0502.jpeg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
i am thinking to buy this: https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/EP4346_70/philips-4300-series-fully-automatic-espresso-machines
this is partly because I am getting old and I want to enjoy more coffee before I am too old to drink coffee

None of these automatic gadgets make really good coffee. What you're buying is convenience. The one you linked to is often found in airport lounges where it isn't worth the money to hire a barista to stand around just in case someone wants a caffeine fix.

If you're a connoisseur of good coffee get yourself a proper manual machine so your can savor the satisfaction that comes from brewing a perfect cup.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Capsule is very expensive. Each capsule has around 7g to 10g of powder and capsule price is at least 69cent.
Assuming 10g per capsule, 10 capsules are priced at 7 dollars.
10 tubes / 100g of coffee are priced at 70 dollars.
100 tubes / 1000g / 1 kg beans are priced at 700 dollars.
That means 1 kg of capsule is 700 dollars!

You can buy top grade of coffee bean at 70 dollars only!!!!

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just get a french press if you’re only brewing a couple of cups. more important is the type of coffee bean. and grinder too. i normally look out for african beans, from ethiopia to kenya to tanzania to uganda. grind the beans only when you’re ready to brew. not too fine like the finest expresso which will becum like m&d, and not too coarse like what you get at the supermarket pre-ground. must be just right in order to sextract the most flavor and robustness from the beans. getting a good grinder is key to great coffee besides the beans. sexpresso machines? forget about that. too much cleaning and maintenance. if you’re too lazy to source for beans, grind, and clean both grinder and press, get a keurig or nespresso. capsules with african coffee are great! and you can add the purest water too to the water container without hooking to the water pipes. water from pipes are horrible for the best coffee.
View attachment 122841
uncle sexty 9, your coffee has no layer of foam at the top. this is americano type, not the european style coffee.